Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? (18334 Views)

Man Takes Car For Servicing & Discovers These Animals In The Car (pics/video) / Please Be Careful With This Mechanic Man!!! / Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by placeofallure(f): 5:17pm On Sep 28, 2023
jackmrandy:
If you have another key to the car, go move the car out from his workshop. Get another competent technician to come fix it at your yard. If you have paid him before, look for a way to retrieve your money. And also before you move the car out from his workshop, check if all parts are still intact..

I want to borrow a little from this. I gave my giant fridge to the technician since February; up till now na so so, e ma binu ma, I'll bring it this weekend I dey hear. The thing is I have paid him the 25k he charged cause he made it look like, it's the full payment that will facilitate a speedy repair. Now he's playing hide and seek with me. I'm considering paying the police to deal with him for me.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BestTrades: 5:18pm On Sep 28, 2023

To check vehicle history (Vin check)of any car.

For comprehensive vehicle history report .

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

For Custom Duty Verification ..
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BRATISLAVA: 5:19pm On Sep 28, 2023
Ceeman2o:

Guess you hadn't driven a car before talk more of owing one. You would have known what it means to say car legs. That terminology really pass you. You'll know someday. Keep hustling

You sound arrogant in ignorance. What car has legs? I'm sure you haven't been in a car since the day you were born in 2000.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BRATISLAVA: 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2023
BoldBrainz:

I want to believe this is you being sarcastic.

Cause basically everyone who knows about cars in Nigeria knows what's meant when "Legs" are used to label certain parts of the car.

So it's a Nigerian thing that cars have legs? Educate us.

I've never heard of it before. And I'm shocked to see that cars in Nigeria have legs. Cars with legs. LMAO.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by TenQ: 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:
I'm currently in a very bad situation right now with a technician I trusted and relied on.

I met him on Nairaland many years ago and have fixed a few cars requiring minor fixes(legs) with him.

I handed over a client's car to him since January to fix a wiring issue that was draining battery and not making car to start.

For several months, it was all manner of stories and excuses I kept hearing.

I was in the hospital for a month and just straight from the hospital with my surgical stitches fresh on me, I had to get someone to drive me to him as he claimed car was ready for pick up only for me to get there and car wasn't starting and this man disappeared and wouldn't pick my calls all through my time at his workshop.

After over an hr of waiting, I left. Same thing repeated itself another day again. To cut a long story right now, I have suffered serious reputational damage with my client who owns the car as he has totally lost confidence in me.

As I speak, it's 9 months and nothing to show for it. The said technician doesn't even pick my calls when I call him, neither does he bother to return my calls.

I've been calling for over a week now and he completely ignores my call. I'm really at a loss to how to handle this.

In my many years of selling cars, nobody has tried this nonsense with me.

Not even road side mechanics. 9 fucking months and nothing to show for it. I've had several clients wanting to buy the car but have lost every opportunity to sell the said car as it's not been fixed for 9 months.

Pls, I'd really appreciate input from the house.
Partner with a friend
1. Let your friend call him for a car repair and arrange for when he would be I will the shop.

2. Go with your friend to his shop at the arranged time, I you will meet him.

3. The rest is up to you to decide what to do.

Check the brain box
Catalytic converter
Relays
and Halogen Head light engine etc
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BRATISLAVA: 5:21pm On Sep 28, 2023
Bliss62:

Joints of the tire

Thanks for this.

But why are they called legs? How did they come to be called legs?

It's kind of funny and unbelievable to me that there's a part of cars called "legs". Let me update my urban dictionary.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Prenonjebose: 5:26pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:

He has all those diagnostics equipment. That's why I even took it to him in the first place.
The only solution is to tow the car out of there.
If you have paid him, then make small trouble for him. A mechanic tried that nonsense with sometime ago. Collected money and failed to fix my car for about 3 months with any form of sympathy for me. He would give me various lame excuses until I organized an armed squad for him. I had to do this when I got wind of the fact that he repairs police official vehicles, and as such was lackadaisical about fixing my vehicle. By the time they picked him three days to Christmas, he was forced to beg me, fixed the car in two days. Of course, it came at a cost to me. But at that point, I was too enraged to care.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BoldBrainz(m): 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

I've never heard of it before. And I'm shocked to see that cars in Nigeria have legs. Cars with legs. LMAO.

Your attempt at mockery is well recognised.

If you had put the same energy into reading my first response to you, you certainly would have seen where I emphatically quoted "Legs" and the words that followed it.

Cars do not have legs. The entire suspension system and tyres are however, simply described as "Legs" in local Nigerian parlance. You may actually have heard of or known this before. But just because you're trying to portray others as being idiots for the entertainment of the reading public, you have opted for mockery and sarcasm.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BRATISLAVA: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Your attempt at mockery is well recognised.

If you had put the same energy into reading my first response to you, you certainly would have seen where I emphatically quoted "Legs" and the words that followed it.

Cars do not have legs. The entire suspension system and tyres are however, simply described as "Legs" in local Nigerian parlance. You may actually have heard of or known this before. But just because you're trying to portray others as being idiots for the entertainment of the reading public, you have opted for mockery and sarcasm.

How could I have known or heard about it before? Am I a soaker of "local Nigerian parlance"?

Not everyone knows what ever it is you call your car parts. And frankly, to expect me to know it reeks of assumptions.

And yes, it sounds idiotic to see cars that have legs. At least there was someone who explained it without assuming I would know anything about your cars on stilts.

Cars with legs. Lol
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by jackmrandy: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2023
placeofallure:

I want to borrow a little from this. I gave my giant fridge to the technician since February; up till now na so so, e ma binu ma, I'll bring it this weekend I dey hear. The thing is I have paid him the 25k he charged cause he made it look like, it's the full payment that will facilitate a speedy repair. Now he's playing hide and seek with me. I'm considering paying the police to deal with him for me.

waitiin you dey wait for. go pick am sharpaly.. collect your money and your refrigerator sharp sharp.... thats how technicians in Nigeria behave.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by nedekid: 5:31pm On Sep 28, 2023
preekahantas:
Burn the car at night when nobody is about.
Show up the next morning for your car and involve the Police immediately. Now the problem is no longer parts or fixing, he will either pay for the full car or rot in jail.

Happy sales boss.
No forget your baby girl. kiss
Story, things don't work that way in real life.
Last last, you people will be in court for the next few years, spending money with lawyers till you taya.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 5:32pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:

Yes. It's same one. I once reported him to a junior officer there who later told me that the technician called a superior officer to him after he tried to intervene...
the whole system in the country is corrupt but let's see how we will get it done. You can report to a higher authority but make sure the car is in a condition that would make it moveable and you will be ready to do case with the man. 9 months is a lot and he isn't even remorseful despite the bad repute he has brought to your name and you were just trying to help him out and expand his business in your own way.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 5:34pm On Sep 28, 2023
nedekid:

Story, things don't work that way in real life.
Last last, you people will be in court for the next few years, spending money with lawyers till you taya.
that's one tiring thing about cases but if the owner of the case has the time he could go thru the route though very stressful for both parties and if the accused defaults even if na twice omo na to go cool off for prison for a while ooooo
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BoldBrainz(m): 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

How could I have known or heard about it before? Am I a soaker of "local Nigerian parlance"?

Not everyone knows what ever it is you call your car parts. And frankly, to expect me to know it reeks of assumptions.

And yes, it sounds idiotic to see cars that have legs. At least there was someone who explained it without assuming I would know anything about your cars on stilts.

Cars with legs. Lol

Smh.

Clearly, even exposure doesn't often equate to proper mannerism.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by nedekid: 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2023
oladipuposadeeq:
that's one tiring thing about cases but if the owner of the case has the time he could go thru the route though very stressful for both parties and if the accused defaults even if na twice omo na to go cool off for prison for a while ooooo
In this case, since na civil matter and not criminal, if the owner get judgement in his favor, the most he can do is enforce it by eg garnishee. Ie to get a court order to freeze some assets especially bank accounts.
The fact that the deptor defaults no concern prison at all. Infact prison or detention no de this matter.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 5:43pm On Sep 28, 2023
nedekid:

In this case, since na civil matter and not criminal, if the owner get judgement in his favor, the most he can do is enforce it by eg garnishee. Ie to get a court order to freeze some assets especially bank accounts.
The fact that the deptor defaults no concern prison at all. Infact prison or detention no de this matter.
yeah you're right I dey compare am with person owing another person money like obtaining under false pretence hmmmmmm court system long ooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Barcalee: 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2023
Take the car away from there in the mean time I don't really trust all these inside Lagos technicians bring the car come badagry it will be fixed asap
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by BRATISLAVA: 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Smh.

Clearly, even exposure doesn't often equate to proper mannerism.

Your clear lack of exposure? Or your assumptions that are in need of exposure?

Cars with legs. SMH.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Ceeman2o: 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

You sound arrogant in ignorance. What car has legs? I'm sure you haven't been in a car since the day you were born in 2000.

A poor and arrogant little thing. Car legs are the ball joints,bearings,lower arms, tire rods, stabilizer bushings nd sorts. It's called leg cos it's components that hold tyres. Decided to lecture you, beside my son will be 12 yrs next week. You could be his mate. Decided to help you abit with reply. Uncouth thing. You can feel good now. Faceless forum I blamed. I might be replying an agama lizard looking tiny thing anyway

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by gratefulheart(m): 6:04pm On Sep 28, 2023
Go and toll the vehicle from him and get alternative opinion electrically and make a quick decision but i believe you shouldn't have allow it to stay that long no matter the case.

chronique:
I'm currently in a very bad situation right now with a technician I trusted and relied on.

I met him on Nairaland many years ago and have fixed a few cars requiring minor fixes(legs) with him.

I handed over a client's car to him since January to fix a wiring issue that was draining battery and not making car to start.

I was in the hospital for a month and just straight from the hospital with my surgical stitches fresh on me, I had to get someone to drive me to him as he claimed car was ready for pick up only for me to get there and car wasn't starting and this man disappeared and wouldn't pick my calls all through my time at his workshop.

After over an hr of waiting, I left. Same thing repeated itself another day again. To cut a long story right now, I have suffered serious reputational damage with my client who owns the car as he has totally lost confidence in me.

As I speak, it's 9 months and nothing to show for it. The said technician doesn't even pick my calls when I call him, neither does he bother to return my calls.

I've been calling for over a week now and he completely ignores my call. I'm really at a loss to how to handle this.

Not even road side mechanics. 9 fucking months and nothing to show for it. I've had several clients wanting to buy the car but have lost every opportunity to sell the said car as it's not been fixed for 9 months.

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by InvertedHammer: 6:08pm On Sep 28, 2023
/
You left your car with an electrician for 9 months and couldn't look in the mirror to see who is at fault. After 2 days, an alarm should have gone off in your head. Give him another 2 years then.

/
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Oneday82: 6:19pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:

My bro, in my honest opinion, I will advise you look for a way to take the car out of his workshop before they turn it into a Scrab overnight.

Most of this rewire boys are novice and they don't know anything as regards to electrical, some are guess and do. If it were to Abuja, I would have directed one dude for you, he has been handling my cars and he is very good.

Like I said, take your car from there, it's very unfortunate
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by ACE1010: 7:05pm On Sep 28, 2023
Oga Abi the mechanic has jazz you Ni?? This is a simple matter Na?? Just move the car from his workshop and look for a competent mechanic. You should have taken this decision long before now. You're even lucky the car is still at his workshop!!! Act now bro!!!!
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by chronique(m): 7:20pm On Sep 28, 2023
oladipuposadeeq:
the whole system in the country is corrupt but let's see how we will get it done. You can report to a higher authority but make sure the car is in a condition that would make it moveable and you will be ready to do case with the man. 9 months is a lot and he isn't even remorseful despite the bad repute he has brought to your name and you were just trying to help him out and expand his business in your own way.

As at the last time I saw it, it wasn't starting.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Blackdisciple(m): 7:34pm On Sep 28, 2023
Your car is gone
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by Testimony1988(m): 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2023
Retrieve it from him.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by ogmask: 7:56pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:

Sorry for the pain the guy has caused you. The truth is, many of these technicians do not understand the complexity of the issue or they are just plain ignorant about what to do.
I am a car dealer based in Phc but I invite my technician from Lagos to fix the complex issues on some of the imported cars. If you are in Lagos I could link you up with him to see if it's something he can fix. The guy is good but like they say, nobody knows it all.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by diportivo: 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by ceasare: 8:06pm On Sep 28, 2023
preekahantas:
Burn the car at night when nobody is about.
Show up the next morning for your car and involve the Police immediately. Now the problem is no longer parts or fixing, he will either pay for the full car or rot in jail.

Happy sales boss.
No forget your baby girl. kiss

U b werey lol grin grin
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by fineberry(m): 9:17pm On Sep 28, 2023
If it were to be abroad....you just sue him straight, but here we're not used to that. Rather we use police to arrest. So do the needful.
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by TheBTCinvestor: 9:18pm On Sep 28, 2023
chronique:

He's workshop is actually in the airforce mechanic village and as such, I have to show some level of respect and decorum in handling the matter. I've reported to the assistant chairman of the base but nothing meaningful has come out of it. Still same flimsy excuses from day one.

Bro I know that guy..he's a quack..he charged me exorbitant fees and wrecked my range engine...he's name is soperescue abi cheesy
Re: How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? by paschalj4(m): 9:20pm On Sep 28, 2023
Sir if you are based within abuja i might be of help to you sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists / Gear Shift Problem, Please Help I'm Spending Too Much On It / Save Your Salary For A Year, What Car Can You Afford ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.