Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,307 members, 7,811,916 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport (50221 Views)

Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New / Traders In Ladipo Market, Lagos, Abandon Their Shops And Run As Gun Men Attack / Documents You Need To Clear Your Vehicle At Seaport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Karemarealty288(m): 6:34am On Sep 28, 2023
Due to the rise in foreign exchange rate, the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), on Tuesday, said vehicle importers abandoned thousands of imported fairly used vehicles at the seaport.

Speaking when members of the Association of Nigerian Licenced Customs Agents (ANLCA) paid him a courtesy visit, the Customs area controller, Tin Can Island Command, Compt. Dera Nnadi, expressed worry over the continued drop in cargo throughput at the command.

Compt. Nnadi stated that the number of vehicles throughput into the command had continued to dwindle from 32,000 in 2018 to a mere 4,000 units in 2023.

“There are several vehicles abandoned in the port because the owners are unable to clear them due to high exchange rates.

Why did you import when you don’t have money to clear’, I asked, but somebody reminded me that the vehicles were imported believing that they were going to exchange money at N420 and suddenly, it is N770 and the owners in America abandoned them saying, ‘we can’t clear them, let them remain there’.

“As of 2018 to 2021, vehicle throughput here was at the peak of 32,000 vehicles a year. It started dropping as from 2020, by 2022, it dropped to as low as 6,000, in 2023, it is 4,000 units,” he lamented.

Dere stated that the Russia/Ukraine crisis had taken a toll on Importation in the country as bulk cargoes that come in from the country stopped coming in.

Comptroller Nnadi cited other factors militating against trade and revenue generation at the command to include drop in vehicle importation and high exchange rate, among others.

He further lamented the trade policies of the immediate past governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.

“There is war in Ukraine: grains are no longer coming; wheat is no more coming; bulk cargo is no more coming; sugar is not coming. My predecessor left here having collected a revenue of 52 per cent of N801 billion in nine months; Godwin Emefiele’s policy was one of the things that caused delay. Floating of naira when the new government came in is another challenge.

“So, you see that we are all under constraints and you too are under constraints. You wake up from revenue that was anchored on the exchange rate of N420 per dollar to N770 per dollar. This is another challenge.”

According to him, with the downturn in throughput and business climate at the command and at the world in general, he has the mandate of generating N350 billion in the remaining three months of the year but promised that he would not ignore trade facilitation to meet the target.

“My predecessor struggled and collected that. I am now left with the burden of collecting N350 billion within three months. The challenge is that if I insist on making sure that this money is collected by all means, your members will be negatively affected because it will put pressure on them.

“There is a solution which lies in the fact they the little we have, we should maximise our integrity and ensure that the right thing is done. That way it will reduce the number of days we spend arguing about whether correct duty is paid or not so that the demurrage we would have paid to shipping and terminal companies while arguing would have been converted to part of the profit you will make and reduce the stress,” he said.

https://leadership.ng/floating-naira-importers-abandon-tokunbo-cars-at-seaport/

3 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by JASONjnr(m): 6:47am On Sep 28, 2023
The same person whom we were told did miracles in Lagos compared to other governors of his time.

We were asked to go and visit Lagos and see the wonders he performed.

I told them, this man asked Buhari to print more currencies and employ 50 thousand youths into the Nigerian army and feed them with agbado and pay them nothing.

They said he graduated with first class in accounting. Now, he floated the naira and give it a free way access....

Food stuffs are now 500times expensive more than what ordinary Nigerians would afford.

422 Likes 48 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Urexcellency: 7:04am On Sep 28, 2023
Ok
Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Artiiclebeast: 10:15am On Sep 28, 2023
Floating economy...

After all, Groundnut dey float on top soaked garri.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by henidord3: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2023
To get ur imported car from warf it's like visiting the moon too bad the system it's messed up

154 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by TANID(m): 2:54pm On Sep 28, 2023
henidord3:
To get ur imported car from warf it's like visiting the moon too bad the system it's messed up
omo eno easy atall

32 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by RepoMan007: 4:34pm On Sep 28, 2023
We do not want to produce now. We want to be selling crude and be living large while doing nothing productive with our strength.

157 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by RepoMan007: 4:35pm On Sep 28, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
Floating economy...
floating currency and sinking economy rather.
At least the currency.should survive the mishap if the economy sinks.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by ruggedtimi(m): 4:39pm On Sep 28, 2023
Naira to dollar....adds N50 everyday grin

76 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Artiiclebeast: 4:43pm On Sep 28, 2023
RepoMan007:
floating currency and sinking economy rather.

Just like Garium sulphate and floating peanuts a.k.a Garri and Groundnut.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by NSNO(m): 6:00pm On Sep 28, 2023
I don't support Tinubu but floating the naira and removing subsidy was the best thing to do.
Alot of Nigerians don't understand how bad our economy is, they think its just to build roads and start farming etc.
Nigeria's economy needs a complete overhaul and the measures taken yet are just the beginning.
More hardship is on the way but like the saying the darkest hour is just before dawn, Nigeria's dawn is almost here, we just have to endure the darkness a little longer.

330 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by saphiere(f): 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2023
I belive this country will be a better place if a woman is allowed to rule.
Omo see as King Tonto took it upon herself to give Mohbad a befitting burial.
Women are always down to Earth

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2023
........and the owners in America abandoned them saying, ‘we can’t clear them,
let them remain there

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by RingRoadMafia: 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2023
I thought they said that this ugly baboon is a strategist? I hope yall can now see what we who lived in Lagos during his tenure as governor saw that made us refuse to support him.

We warned you guys that this mad man was riding on the success of Fashola, you people resufed to listen. If I talk now, some Ozuor will accuse me of being Igbo.

NSNO:
I don't support Tinubu but... (dey whine yourself) floating the naira and removing subsidy was the best thing to do.
Alot of Nigerians don't understand how bad our economy is, they think its just to build roads and start farming etc.
Nigeria's economy needs a complete overhaul and the measures taken yet are just the beginning.
More hardship is on the way but like the saying the darkest hour is just before dawn, Nigeria's dawn is almost here, we just have to endure the darkness a little longer.
This was how you people gaslighted Nigerians for 8 years under Buhari, we persevered and endured untold hardship after being told that our sufferings will soon end, now you people are doing it again under Tinubu. By the time Nigerians realise what is going on, we may no longer have a country.

Pray tell, who's mess is Tinubu cleaning? Because it sure isn't Jonathan's. That ship has looooooong sailed. I mean, it's already too far gone to blame Goodluck now so who should we blame? Why aren't we blaming anyone again? Buhari spent more than 6 years blaming Jonathan until it stopped working. So why is everywhere silent? Why aren't we playing the blame game again?

Imagine how woefully this man is performing despite the fact that he's under pressure to impress Nigerians and the Supreme Court Justices. Imagine what will now happen if peradventure he's affirmed by the S.C? Una go learn.

APC IS EVIL INCARNATE!
THE EARLIER NIGERIANS REALISE THIS AND PURGE THEM OUT OF THIS COUNTRY, THE BETTER FOR US AND OUR CHILDREN.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

232 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by cjudy(m): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2023
What Tinubu can not do, doesn’t exist

10 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Helpfromabove1(m): 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2023
Subsidy removal and floating the Naira at the same time with out a well taught out plan is surely a recipe for disaster

Tinubu wanted to hit the ground running from day one but he go do pass himself now he hit the ground sinking

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Hambivert: 10:10pm On Sep 28, 2023
Under APC...
The wealthy class is crying
The Middle class is wailing
The Poor are gnashing their teeth
...but, APC supporters blinded by foolishness are hell bent on destroying this country by cheering their leaders on, even unto the road of perdition.

It is just sparogatively sad that the foolishness of some would always affect others. How I wish it affected only them and not the general populace 🤦🏽‍♂️

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by STEWpid(f): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2023
Chai..

Customs duty too high..

They said it's a policy to discourage importation,,

But what is Nigeria currently producing in similar vein to mitigate the effect??

Absolutely nothing!

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2023
My predecessor struggled and collected that. I am now left with the burden of collecting N350 billion within three months
Wow!
This is massive!!

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Chetas81(m): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2023
NIGERIA NEVER GROWTH UNDER BRIBERY

3 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by coldsummer: 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2023
Cars have become so expensive. I bought a car and everything spent in that car from America to Nigeria was like 6.5. Someone has priced that car for 10.8. Still didn't sell.

18 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by grandstar(m): 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2023
Floating the Naira was the right thing to do despite the present teething problems.

One way to assist importers is to slash import duty on cars. It is quite high. It shouldn't be more than 20%

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by CelestineNelson: 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2023
Emilokan madness don the reach seaport🤣🤣😂😅😆😂. Clueless clown that only want to be called president nothing more

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by boom99(m): 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2023
God should just help us

7 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by IjebuWarrior: 10:12pm On Sep 28, 2023
This is quite sad. I had to pay ~N8M to clear my 40-foot (3 SUV vehicles) this past December. Those thieves disguised as customs even stole 3 bags of my rice... undecided

How do they expect the common / average man to survive? Everyone is a CRIMINAL in Nigeria! angry

It shall not be well with all 9ja Politicians! angry angry angry

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Chetas81(m): 10:13pm On Sep 28, 2023
JASONjnr:
The same person whom we were told did miracles in Lagos compared to other governors of his time.

We were asked to go and visit Lagos and see the wonders he performed.

I told them, this man asked Buhari to print more currencies and employ 50 thousand youths into the Nigerian army and feed them with agbado and pay them nothing.

They said he graduated with first class in accounting. Now, he floated the naira and give it a free way access....

Food stuffs are now 500times expensive more than what ordinary Nigerians would afford.
TINUBU EXPOSED YORUBA PEOPLE WHEN COMES TO PROPAGANDA 🦍✌️😂

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Chetas81(m): 10:13pm On Sep 28, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
Floating economy...
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA 😜🦍🦍

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by Trustme2(m): 10:14pm On Sep 28, 2023
Hi
Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by chronique(m): 10:14pm On Sep 28, 2023
Stupid people. Instead of them to bring down clearing fees as dollar is skyrocketing, they keep increasing the fees and expect people not to abandon vehicles at port.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by phorget(m): 10:14pm On Sep 28, 2023
We are still watching.
Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by MrDoGood(m): 10:15pm On Sep 28, 2023
City boy and crew be doing the most grin angry grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Floating Naira: Importers Abandon Tokunbo Cars At Seaport by enemyofprogress: 10:15pm On Sep 28, 2023
Cars are too expenses to clear at sea ports in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dangote Attends Wedding Of President Nana Akufo-Addo's Daughter, Edwina / Bar Manager Walks Out Underage Boys Who Came To Drink Beer In His Bar / My UBA Bank Account Has Been Frozen! Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.