Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,578 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive (13989 Views)

FG Targets Production Of Locally Made Vehicles By December / Finance Act: Disquiet As FG Targets ₦850 Billion From Dormant Accounts / EndSARS Protest: Fear Grips Politicians, Wealthy Nigerians Over Unabated Looting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by jaxxy(m): 9:46am On Sep 29, 2023
That will not improve the economy. infact it may be counter productive.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Theunbothered: 9:53am On Sep 29, 2023
DaddyJapan:
Long overdue.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/the-nigerian-billionaires-and-tinubus-tax-reform

South Africa's gdp per capita is also four times that of Nigeria and they get basic amenities like housing, electricity, water, roads and security taken care of.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Maliqcious: 9:59am On Sep 29, 2023
Obakoolex:
undecided Another wailing thread for the wailers as if they're among the rich the tax is been directed to.
you no get sense ni?
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Gentlelox: 10:00am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:
So was this how Tinubu developed Lagos in 1999?

I mean tax tax tax

At the end of all the taxing nothing I mean absolutely nothing to show for it

Too many taxation for a country that doesn’t pay tax refund to her citizens

Tinubu you said you prepared 20yrs for this stolen presidency, so this was all you could come up with?

You’re a fowl
kudos bro for defending the truth in Dix forum.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by fred04(m): 10:01am On Sep 29, 2023
Another avenue to divert funds, the ones we have been paying are not accounted for.
Let them come out transparent with subsidy funds
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Gentlelox: 10:02am On Sep 29, 2023
DaddyJapan:
Long overdue.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/the-nigerian-billionaires-and-tinubus-tax-reform
if I swear for u ehn...

av u been to south Africa?

Do you know how dier system works there...

Do you know how much Nigeria gets from Oil daily ?

Where is the money ?
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by StarLait: 10:04am On Sep 29, 2023
Tax without direction is not sustainable
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by ConfidentialDoc: 10:07am On Sep 29, 2023
Akano5:
Shame to all those people backing Tinubu of this nonsense...

What goes around comes around, it will get to them -- and by then, nobody will speak for them

When they came for the opposition, I said nothing

When they came for the trade unionists I said nothing.

When they came for me they took me away and there was none to speak for me

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by dfrost: 10:09am On Sep 29, 2023
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Mitsurugi(m): 10:15am On Sep 29, 2023
Obakoolex:
undecided Another wailing thread for the wailers as if they're among the rich the tax is been directed to.

How has this comment shown you have sense? Think about it deeply
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Nice2023(m): 10:19am On Sep 29, 2023
If u increase the burden of tax on the rich,the poor will suffer more.

Reason is; they increase everything they produce in the market,hit the market harder with costly goods...u are invariably increasing poverty and frustration in the land.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

I mean tax tax tax

Tinubu you said you prepared 20yrs for this stolen presidency, so this was all you could come up with?

You’re a fowl

Must you insult fowls to prove a point?

Pls fowls are not happy with you for the comparison.
They said they are more productive abeg.....
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by DaddyJapan(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2023
Gentlelox:
if I swear for u ehn...

av u been to south Africa?

Do you know how dier system works there...

Do you know how much Nigeria gets from Oil daily ?

Where is the money ?

Swear for your indecorous and uncouth self.

Do you see where Nigeria ranks on the infographic included below?
Considerably lower than Africa's average! cool Lower than even Chad and Niger!

Image source: https://taxfoundation.org/blog/africa-tax-revenue-oecd-report-2020/

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by olaniyilukman(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2023
INTEGRITYA1:
To pay tax will not be too difficult and painful only if proceeds from the tax are channel appropriately.
Tinubu target wealthy Nigerians in new tax policy while wealthy Nigerians target the poor people
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Ladech(m): 10:23am On Sep 29, 2023
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by akigbemaru: 10:23am On Sep 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
Error and catastrophy. They will simply relocate their assets and profit to leave the economy in more perils.

Why not tax nonproductive consumptions, especially the imported ones. Cigarette, wines, fashion, gadgets, and digital services like Netflix and SM? That will reduce demand for forex and strengthen the naira. It will also promote employment because the rich you are about to chase out with tax will rather invest in local production of previously imported foreign goods with their wealth than ran away. Dangote is a god example.

This govt is an evil one. Ignorance is evil.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by FarmTech(m): 10:27am On Sep 29, 2023
This is good if the nigerian factor doesn't come into it.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by heykims(m): 10:31am On Sep 29, 2023
Flier:
You can not tax the rich as they will pass the burden to the poor,Donald Trump government is a good case study.When you give tax benefit and holiday to the rich and wealthy,the wealth is passed to the poor but when you tax the rich heavily,the economy suffers and the poor get poorer and this why America thrive during Trump government.He had one of the best economy ever
It take high level of greed to be wealthy and you cant take that away from wealthy people,the more you tax them the more the burden they pass to the poor
There is no discrimination in taxation, it is a fixed percentage. So the more u earn, the more your tax return.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Akano5(m): 10:39am On Sep 29, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

When they came for the opposition, I said nothing

When they came for the trade unionists I said nothing.

When they came for me they took me away and there was none to speak for me

%100 spot on.... you get it

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Nice2023(m): 10:41am On Sep 29, 2023
If u increase the burden of tax on the rich,the poor will suffer more.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Irony1: 10:44am On Sep 29, 2023
Themanleshey:

Pls don’t comit suicide o. In a situation like this , what do you suggest he do? As you are blaming the government which is ok , try and be proffering solutions too.

see sometimes let us leave propaganda and face facts. who are the so called rich ones? 95% are politicians 3% are lackeys to politicians and depend on political patronage like Dangote and Co, the remaining 2% are into real business. And you think Tinubu and his 95% thieves and political dunces will want to be taxed? this Oyedele guy is a professional, but he is talking too much, let him shut up and bring realistic recommendations.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by theamazonguru(m): 10:44am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

I mean tax tax tax

You’re a fowl

It's very clear that your hatred for Tinubu and his administration did not allow you to read the article before jumping into conclusion.

First, taxation is a necessity for every serious government to boost the economy.

Tinubu dis not put the current tax system in place, he met it and so intends to rejig it. Hence the constitution of the presidential steering committee on tax.

Since you didn't read it, let me summarize it for you.
The committee on tax, intends to cut down on the number of multiple tax system we currently have.
They intend to encourage corporate organizations by taking off some of the tax so as to encourage them.
Then, put in place, a system to make the rich and wealthy pay what is fair while ensuring that the poor are not burdened through tax.

If no be say you dey live for Portharcourt I for just send tax task force to your house to give you wotowoto.

I rise.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Irony1: 10:48am On Sep 29, 2023
theamazonguru:

It's very clear that your hatred for Tinubu and his administration did not allow you to read the article before jumping into conclusion.

First, taxation is a necessity for every serious government to boost the economy.

Tinubu dis not put the current tax system in place, he met it and so intends to rejig it. Hence the constitution of the presidential steering committee on tax.

Since you didn't read it, let me summarize it for you.
The committee on tax, intends to cut down on the number of multiple tax system we currently have.
They intend to encourage corporate organizations by taking off some of the tax so as to encourage them.
Then, put in place, a system to make the rich and wealthy pay what is fair while ensuring that the poor are not burdened through tax.

If no be say you dey live for Portharcourt I for just send tax task force to your house to give you wotowoto.

I rise.

My brother let us stop deceiving ourselves nothing will change. The average poor person who taxes them? is it not local government and state government that handles the tax? how would FG handle this impasse? Oyedele was just brought in to give some sort of credibility to the government initiatives, but in all honesty nothing is going to change. Who makes up 95% of the rich in Nigeria? is it not the politicians, 3% are lackeys to politicians and depend on political patronage like Dangote and co, the other 2% are into real business, so is it that 2% that can now fund the majority of the populace that are suffering?
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Fearyourcreator: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2023
Waterlilly:
fools, confused mudafuckers

paying the tax is not the problem, but what happens after payment
Pay first
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Nice2023(m): 10:51am On Sep 29, 2023
FarmTech:
This is good if the nigerian factor doesn't come into it.

There is nothing good about it...if he does this,it will hit hard on the people.

This is a wrong policy for Nigerians.

U and I aren't importers of goods and services but the rich,so if u tax them anyhow,it will result in high cost of goods and services.

Shey,u are into farm feeds or farm tech,u will see the bandwagon effects very soon.

Remember the poor does not produce anything yet they good to the market.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Evolutionism: 12:05pm On Sep 29, 2023
Irony1:

My brother let us stop deceiving ourselves nothing will change. The average poor person who taxes them? is it not local government and state government that handles the tax? how would FG handle this impasse? Oyedele was just brought in to give some sort of credibility to the government initiatives, but in all honesty nothing is going to change. Who makes up 95% of the rich in Nigeria? is it not the politicians, 3% are lackeys to politicians and depend on political patronage like Dangote and co, the other 2% are into real business, so is it that 2% that can now fund the majority of the populace that are suffering?

POC.

The figure of All Direct Politicians in Nigeria aren't even near the figure you mentioned.

You will be surprised at the amount of low profile wealthy/rich individuals in nigeria who aren't into politics. Although they might be secretly affiliated to a political party due to favouritism and all but they aren't actively involved in politics. I'm also confidently telling you these set of people are the entities running the economy.

They are the masters of "Cunningness, Deception And Manipulation" Just name it.

At times even your Government consult them before making decisions.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Profgordons(m): 12:26pm On Sep 29, 2023
So the rich works to hard to make money taking risk and endless commitments. The rich lose out on many good things like family time, friends and religious obligations for some. Eventually this gets taken from the rich and handed to the poor that was not the creation of the rich… unfair world!
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by RepoMan007: 12:26pm On Sep 29, 2023
DaddyJapan:
Long overdue.

Most of our GDP is in the ground in form of oil and do not go through the populace before finding its way out of the economy to London, Dubai, Paris and Switzerland. Taxing people for personal income is like taxing them for survival because they are just surviving when you consider the fact Nigerians spend the highest percentage of the income on food globally.
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by theamazonguru(m): 1:26pm On Sep 29, 2023
Irony1:

You have a strong point.
However, I see the will to do. That's what is important for me.
Let's see what the tax reform would bring.

We can only hope for the best.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by Irony1: 1:31pm On Sep 29, 2023
theamazonguru:

You have a strong point.
However, I see the will to do. That's what is important for me.
Let's see what the tax reform would bring.

We can only hope for the best.

my brother nothing will change. do not set yourself for heartache walahi
Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by theamazonguru(m): 2:18pm On Sep 29, 2023
Irony1:

my brother nothing will change. do not set yourself for heartache walahi

Hahaha
I am hoping for the best and if nothing good comes out then it is well.

That is why someone like me is earning in $$ daily.
No matter how bad $10 go enter.
Now that naira to dollar is N1000/$, $10 per day is N10,000. Just from side hustle.

Na who no know way go depend on the Nigerian government.
God no go shame us.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets Wealthy Nigerians In New Tax Drive by dragunov: 2:33pm On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

I mean tax tax tax

You’re a fowl

Dear Seun. This guy is using bots. Kindly investigate. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Southern Kaduna Crisis: El-Rufai Vows To Prosecute False News Mongers / I Take Responsibility For Pdp’s Defeat In 2015 – Jonathan / Ogun 2019: Dapo Abiodun Urges Amosun To Support His Governorship Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.