Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? (9116 Views)

Trekking From Accra To Lagos for IDPs / List Of People To Avoid In Lagos For New Comers. / Offer Of Advice For Interest In Studying In Czech (2) (3) (4)

Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Toonice(m): 1:52pm On Oct 20, 2011
What is the best advice you will give to someone who is visiting Lagos for the first time?
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Dyt(f): 2:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
v trust worthy frnds
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by imperiouxx(m): 2:22pm On Oct 20, 2011
welcome to lagos grin
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2011
yep, have a trusted friend show you around.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by WAVixen: 4:01pm On Oct 20, 2011
Be alert AKA Shine your eyes! Dont be scared to ask questions.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Bestglo(f): 4:09pm On Oct 20, 2011
Tell him this is lagos,he should shine his eyes
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Honeycity(f): 5:13pm On Oct 20, 2011
eko for show!! dont be too fast and dont be too slow
oo gbodo suegbe , oo gbodo rindin, oo gbodo ya mugun ooooo grin
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Foxybone(m): 5:15pm On Oct 20, 2011
dis is lagos, boko haram next target, be careful
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by kokoye(m): 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2011
go to the toll gate and settle the three white maquerades. put ur money in your underwear as you take transportation . .then shine your eyes
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by UyiIredia(m): 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2011
shine your eyes !!!
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 20, 2011
See people going 'shine your eye'
'shine your eye'
is there anywhere you go without shining eye before?
@OP, Its no big deal. Lagos isnt all that. Just take any other precautions you would take for any other place.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by lepasharon(f): 5:40pm On Oct 20, 2011
keep ur wits about you wink
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by kokoye(m): 5:40pm On Oct 20, 2011
fellis:

See people going 'shine your eye'
'shine your eye'
is there anywhere you go without shining eye before?
@OP, Its no big deal. Lagos isnt all that. Just take any other precautions you would take for any other place.

you dont have to shine your eye when going to ilogbo-ekiti

You shine your hoe and cutlass
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by mbatuku1: 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
Undergo a 1 month stress management course before visiting for first time.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by ajileko: 5:47pm On Oct 20, 2011
It depend on where you are coming from. But basic common sense will get you thru.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2011
My years here has taught me a lot.

Regardless of your friendship with anyone. No permanent friend but permanent interest.
dont be slow. AKA no dull urself.

Learn to accept that dude yelling at you in the bus constantly reminding you how he's gonna kill you at the next bus stop is all a brag.
90% of the time, they are cowards, so dont keep quiet and let him use fear as a tool against you.
yell back at him. tell him you sef carry fire put for head. even though you lack the required liver.
if he drags you, drag him, people will separate you both. if he beats you eventually,  well. that means he is stronger, dont let that get to you, accept the defeat and move on.

when you see people gathered, dont stop to watch, keep it moving. 80% of the time, your wallet will become unreachable when next you need it

when you see men in lemon uniform, and the road looks like one you'll call express, dont cross, use the bridge.

dont assume because there is this heavy traffic, you are free to cross the road. There is a bike at the other side of that vehicle, prepared to hit you
stay in from of the car in traffic and peep to confirm that coast is clear.

Because a guy looks as old as your dad, talks like a christian and smiles often does not mean they wont dissapear with you money when they have the chance.

When you go to church and that Pastor after impressing you with prophesies says God says you should drop all the money on you in a tray, You can drop but try to save your T-fare, cos you will pay for your dumbness by trekking home in the hot sun while the pastor drives past you.

all i can think of right now

kokoye:

you dont have to shine your eye when going to ilogbo-ekiti

You shine your hoe and cutlass
i nearly laugh die

Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Blazing88(f): 6:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
Shine your eyes!
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by lighternote: 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2011
@webdezzi. well said.on point esp that pastor side. I still de laugh
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by toyemz(f): 6:33pm On Oct 20, 2011
like everyone has already said
shine your eyes
be alert
lagos: you either love it or you hate it
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by dayokanu(m): 6:58pm On Oct 20, 2011
Dont look at those tall buildings cos you would have to pay for the numbers you looked at

Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by lynxnoon(m): 7:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
He/She should take a good look at the 3 statues when entering Lagos,
They mean (Yoruba) :
Mase ridin
Mase Su e gbe
Mase ya mugu
.  .  . In a single phrase it means
OH BOY SHINE UR EYE N NO DULL URSEF  grin grin
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by pwiz(m): 7:06pm On Oct 20, 2011
Hey guys, keep the ideas coming, me too will be landing in Lag by Nov for d first time, atleast i will get more insight and exposure, thanks.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by shadrach77: 7:07pm On Oct 20, 2011
beware of pick-pockets! grin grin grin
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 20, 2011
webdezzi:

My years here has taught me a lot.

Regardless of your friendship with anyone. No permanent friend but permanent interest.
dont be slow. AKA no dull urself.

Learn to accept that dude yelling at you in the bus constantly reminding you how he's gonna kill you at the next bus stop is all a brag.
90% of the time, they are cowards, so dont keep quiet and let him use fear as a tool against you.
yell back at him. tell him you sef carry fire put for head. even though you lack the required liver.
if he drags you, drag him, people will separate you both. if he beats you eventually,  well. that means he is stronger, dont let that get to you, accept the defeat and move on.

when you see people gathered, dont stop to watch, keep it moving. 80% of the time, your wallet will become unreachable when next you need it

when you see men in lemon uniform, and the road looks like one you'll call express, dont cross, use the bridge.

dont assume because there is this heavy traffic, you are free to cross the road. There is a bike at the other side of that vehicle, prepared to hit you
stay in from of the car in traffic and peep to confirm that coast is clear.

Because a guy looks as old as your dad, talks like a christian and smiles often does not mean they wont dissapear with you money when they have the chance.

When you go to church and that Pastor after impressing you with prophesies says God says you should drop all the money on you in a tray, You can drop but try to save your T-fare, cos you will pay for your dumbness by trekking home in the hot sun while the pastor drives past you.

all i can think of right now

i nearly laugh die

Oh boy, I don print this talk hang for my wall, u no well o, lwkmfh
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by engrj(m): 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2011
Don't Dull.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 20, 2011
be smart, hard working, social, educative
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by LadyT(f): 7:38pm On Oct 20, 2011
Dayo what kind of advice is that

To the OP Lagos has bad points its over priced crowded traffic will make you wanna cry a lot of people are fake and are only looking for a quick buck.  Be careful with your belongings and the new friends you will make.  Dont eat and drink anyhow or else food posioning will get you.

The good points its good fun there are a few over priced but really nice places to go you.  Its going to be a culture shock that a country so rich and a city so rich is in so much decay.  But thats part of its bitter sweet beauty.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by whiteroses(f): 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2011
/ grin whats happening where have you been? abi no be same Lagos Nigeria Eko ile? why are you just going now my advice is for you to look around noni and go gist them back in the village tongue
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by VUVUZELA10: 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2011
Becareful and beware of one chance.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2011
Shine ya eyes wella. U go meet people 4 stop bus wey wan mak u giv dem money 4 transport. No gree o instead tel dem say na d same place u dey go mak dem enta d bus u go pay 4 dia fare.
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by ochukoccna: 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2011
What took you so long before you hit Lasgidi's shores? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Your Advice For Someone Visiting Lagos For The First Time? by moreprof: 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2011
bE CAREFUL

Information For Those Who Want To Travel To The Carribean / Jamaica. / Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja