Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,187 members, 7,835,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported (11263 Views)

Some Funny INEC Result Sheets / INEC Result Analysis Based On Samples From IREV / Ondo 2020 Governorship Election Results (INEC Result Viewing Portal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by InvertedHammer: 6:45pm On Sep 30, 2023
/
Election Petition Tribunals are not interested in evidence.

They are looking for reasons no matter how idiotic to dismiss a case once their palms have been greased. The word "purported" fits exactly the description of what INEC reported as election result. Did you fail to greet the judges? Case dismissed!

/
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by SheikhMuniru(m): 6:48pm On Sep 30, 2023
Jonathan shouldn't have handover the power to APC, Ogun State Governorship election should be declared inclusive because the different between the results as declared by INEC is less than the total votes cancelled
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Omookunnimi(m): 7:12pm On Sep 30, 2023
The way some of you condemn judges just the case go the way you don't expect surprises me. You people will not comment based on ground which the judges relied their judgement. Every profession have the term they use. The lawyers could have know better.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Solsix(m): 7:58pm On Sep 30, 2023
helpee:
Gazeete is a sensational newspaper that drives traffic with sensational news.

What the court was saying was that rather than challenging the official result, the petitioner discarded it as a purported result and never challenged it. They only concentrated on rumours .
PETITIONERS did not specifically state which POLLING UNITS D results were affected. It is not the duty of the Tribunal to hold the brief of the PETITIONERS. Here, the PETITIONERS woefully failed.
No matter how solid your case is, those judges will make a mess of it unless God is on your side
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by IfnobeGod20: 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2023
Omookunnimi:
The way some of you condemn judges just the case go the way you don't expect surprises me. You people will not comment based on ground which the judges relied their judgement. Every profession have the term they use. The lawyers could have know better.
Technicality is not part of our law. The fact of a case is far overweigh the error in a case. For peace to reign in a country, justice must be seen to be served than judgement given. The merit of the case should have been their focus than the wordings used therein. It makes no sense that you leave the merit of a case and dwell on error of words.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Curious346: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2023
Our judiciary is cursed
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Curious346: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2023
Our judiciary is fantastically corrupt
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Curious346: 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2023
Our judiciary is controlled by Lucifer himself
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Curious346: 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2023
The judiciary are openly inviting the army to take over power forcefully
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Okoroawusa: 8:05pm On Sep 30, 2023
Is the Gazette reporting a news or writing an editorial? When you report a news as a journalist your opinion in the matter shouldn't be included

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by seunmsg(m): 8:20pm On Sep 30, 2023
garfield1:

No,it is good for dapo that they didn't so that it this is upturned,they will only call for a retrial

By the time the case is decided at the Supreme Court, a retrial would be time barred and there might be the possibility of a miscarriage of justice.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by seunmsg(m): 8:21pm On Sep 30, 2023
Okoroawusa:
Is the Gazette reporting a news or writing an editorial? When you report a news as a journalist your opinion in the matter shouldn't be included

People’s Gazette is not a proper media outfit. It’s an anti-APC propaganda machine.

3 Likes

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by casualobserver: 8:22pm On Sep 30, 2023
I have said it many times on Nairaland and I will keep saying it. Nigerians in general have a very poor grasp of English comprehension. We also confuse official language with informal language. The English language is a very precise language. A lot of our misunderstandings are due to our general poor English comprehension .

The example I always use is “couple”. Many Nigerians use the word loosely to mean “a few”, officially and in law it means “2”. Anybody who has lived in England can testify that when even the most uneducated English man says “couple” even informally, he means “2”. A lot of our problems stem poor our ooor grasp of English. Another example is when they tell you minimum qualification is school leaving certificate and some will start arguing over degree while others go to the extent on forging degree certificates like thee guy from Bayelsa when they have a school leaving certificate.

This ignorance and poor English comprehension will always betray you when you come across people who truly u derstand the language. Adebutu had no business losing that case. The cancelled votes were more than the margin of victory but the poor English capabilities of his lawyers failed him. If he or his lawyers were not emotional in the first place there was no need to use to word “purported”.

It was an open and close case in favour of Adebutu till they used that word. I sometimes wonder about the intellectual capacity of the opposition as they keep shooting themselves in the foot. Now they will start to blame judiciary for their incompetence, emotionalism and lack of professionalism.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by casualobserver: 8:31pm On Sep 30, 2023
InvertedHammer:
/
Election Petition Tribunals are not interested in evidence.

They are looking for reasons no matter how idiotic to dismiss a case once their palms have been greased. The word "purported" fits exactly the description of what INEC reported as election result. Did you fail to greet the judges? Case dismissed!

/

Why make it easy for them? Did his lawyers have to use the word “purported”. You are angry, we get it but the court is not a place for emotion. Why is a lawyer being emotional? [b][/b]Does a lawyer not understand the difference? You don’t provide the petrol for someone who wants to burn you.

I agree the case should haves been decided in a rerun in the cancelled PUs but the onus is on the lawyers to put forward a good case. This one is on the incompetence of Adebutu lawyers.

They didn’t go to court saying they were rigged, they went to court saying “they said we were rigged”

We need to stop our anyhowness in this country. The court is not a beer parkour or a meeting of elders where you can be imprecise in your language and they will make allowance for you. The grant can only grant what you ask.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by AfonjaPriest: 8:56pm On Sep 30, 2023
Z Nana, the fraudulent beggar is back!!! Check out same post with different usernames:
This one
Talisman1:
Dear everyone!
Please assist us to survive this moment, it's very critical. lots of challenges and no one to look up to. Nothing is moving at my end and hunger is really dealing with us. Have exhausted my little token moving up and down to get a job but nothing yet.
Your hands would never dry.
Acct numb.
8 0 7 3 5 3 9 2 6 8 , Opay
.Z Nana
Another
PrideofNaijaa:
Dear everyone!
Please assist us to survive this moment, it's very critical. lots of challenges and no one to look up to. Nothing is moving at my end and hunger is really dealing with us. Have exhausted my little token moving up and down to get a job but nothing yet.
Acct numb.
.Z Nana
And another
Nextskills1:
Dear everyone!
Acct numb.
.Z Nana
Yet another
SupportTeam:
Dear everyone!
Acct numb.
.Z Nana
Additional
Keepsmiling1:
Dear everyone!
Acct numb.
.Z Nana
Red flag. Disclaimer. Persona non grata.
Z Nana is a serial criminal fraudulent individual and is here to promote his begging advert scam.
Z Nana, go to your church or mosque to beg and stop using different usernames on NAIRALAND to exploit people's compassion.
Using many usernames to beg is a clear indication you are a fraud.
The way I see it, you'll soon get deliverance from the Devil.
Keep thinking you are deceiving people. There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed; covered that will not be opened.
The great day of your revelation is at hand. Be expectant, because surely it will come.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by garfield1: 9:01pm On Sep 30, 2023
seunmsg:

By the time the case is decided at the Supreme Court, a retrial would be time barred and there will be the possibility of a miscarriage of justice.

Exactly.if there went into the merit and it is unfavourable to dapo, the appeal court will reinstate it without ordering a retrial.the battle to succeed by senator yayi is the next phase.cc helinues
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by garfield1: 9:06pm On Sep 30, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

Technicality is not part of our law. The fact of a case is far overweigh the error in a case. For peace to reign in a country, justice must be seen to be served than judgement given. The merit of the case should have been their focus than the wordings used therein. It makes no sense that you leave the merit of a case and dwell on error of words.

Technicality is part of the judicial process.minor errors can be overlooked but not fundamental ones
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Bhol28: 9:19pm On Sep 30, 2023
I will never blame the judges but all these lawyers who have big Chambers for nothing.Cases can never be won by mere sentiments.Cases are won with clear presentations and undisputable evidences.
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by jersey4: 12:00am On Oct 01, 2023
Ogun is in for a rough ride
Re: Tribunal Dismisses Adebutu’s Petition For Referring To INEC Result As Purported by Babinski: 11:29pm On Oct 02, 2023
GeneralPula:
The solid ground upon which Mr Adebutu built his petition, according to the court, will no longer matter because the legal team referred to the figures as “purported.”

Haha..

He shot himself in the leg..

At the end of the day, lawyers have cashed out!

1. It depends on how the "purported" was used. If the results were referred to as INEC's purported results, then it is a big flaw because it means they are pleading purported and not necessarily factual INEC results of the election. However if the INEC results were referred to as purported results of the election, then it is not a flaw. They are there to challenge it as the true reflection of the election outcome.

2. While there might be a flaw as stated, it is not enough to throw away the baby with the bathwater. Using technicalities to deny justice in a matter involving the will of the people of a State in an electoral process is highly condemnable particularly in the face af precedents from the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court of Nigeria in the 2018 case of Akeredolu v Abraham stated that “technicality in the administration of justice shuts out justice”. Further, the court noted also that, “man denied justice on any ground, much less a technical ground, grudges the administration of justice. It is, therefore, better to have a case heard and determined on merit than to leave the Court with a shield of ‘victory’ obtained on mere technicalities”.

According to Justice Niki Tobi, “Good law, must have a human face; good law should not patronise technicalities that will give rise or room to undeserved victories in litigation. Good law should discourage technicalities… good law will not encourage a situation where a party in litigation will only return home with pyrrhic victory which in reality is no victory at all”.
Also, in Balogun v E.O.C.B (Nigeria) Limited, it was noted that “the court is more interested in substance than in mere form. Justice can only be done if the substance of the matter is examined. Reliance on technicalities leads to injustice”.

https://businessday.ng/news/legal-business/article/are-technicalities-bearing-justice-miscarriages-in-the-apex-court/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From The Nigeria Senate Launch Of Suggestion Box At Plenary Today / Buhari Orders Establishment Of Committees On New China-nigeria Projects / Buhari's Speech At The 71st UN General Assembly (Full Text)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.