Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,693 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? (15371 Views)

Nigerian Employers Always Think They Are Doing You A Favor / Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? / Uber Vs Taxify - Which Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by sageb: 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2023
Segzy19:
It depends on the environment and industry...

You know like they say... People who hold pen get more paid that people who hold tools.
When it comes to appointment into leadership positions, your qualifications matter. That's why you see some situations where they will bring one inexperienced lad with degree to be your boss despite your years of experience all because that position has to be held by a degree holder... Yet you will still be the one to teach the inexperienced lad on the job o... You see that a lot in the govt parastatals and some private organisations..

As time goes on, if the lad is serious he will become experienced on the job and become balanced..

On the other hand experience is good as it enhances your CV and make you more marketable but then your assention on your career ladder maybe limited without a degree... So even with the experience it is advisable that you get a degree alongside...

Why do you see some people e.g. engineers, IT guys , doctors, technical guys go for MBA? It's because they aim to take up leadership positions and that is where the real power and money is...

So I will say both experience and degree are necessary. Whichever one you have first, make sure you add the other to it

Cheers

Well said
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by MT: 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2023
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by pseudonomer: 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Lol, degree first before experience in the corporate America.
If it’s just a small firm or semi skilled profession, then experience may come first

Of course, I don’t live in US, and abroad is not just US. And of course, It depends on the industry.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Businessjobship(m): 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2023
While earning a relevant degree and experience are essential ingredients to securing jobs, the tides are changing. The new normal is that employers are becoming more practical about what they can do rather than what paper certificates show. In other words, practical experience is preferable to degree certifications.

Top companies now seek to employ technical experts who are not necessarily degree holders. It is not to discard or downplay earning a degree but to focus more on what you can do or what the degree will enable you to do rather than earning mere head knowledge. I hope this helps. You can read more about college/university advantages here https://buzzvale.com/college-vs-university/.

Other helpful articles:
https://buzzvale.com/part-time-jobs-no-experience/
https://buzzvale.com/career-development/
https://buzzvale.com/masters-degree-social-work-online/
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by africanman85: 7:01pm On Oct 24, 2023
How can we get this experience ? I want to go into Data analysis. I hope is a good part with many jobs ?
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Bimffo(m): 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2023
Experience.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by darediamond(m): 7:07pm On Oct 24, 2023
EXPERIENCE makes you Create Working Solutions

Degree Turns you into Solution Seeker.

Do not be fooled, Worshipping Government Issued Certificates Tantamounts To Modern Day Slavery.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Kokoebapluse(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
Experience, because I don't want to work under anybody
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by upsupa(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
DyingFetus:

CompTIA is shit

Cloud is the deal now

Learn AWS or Azure , Learn Kubernetes , Learn to use Ansible and Peforce also docker

Learn Comptia A+ to understand how computers work. Learn the other stuff for a job. A+ should only take you 2 weeks, no need to take the certification exam if you dont need to. Only my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Aremson14(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
DyingFetus:
Both matters to employers except faang1

Get degree while getting experience

People with degree will always come first before people without degree

Take me for example

I have contributed features and bug fixes to popular open source projects but when I mention this to recruiters or during the technical interview, the interviewer doesn't seem to be interested in those.

They were more interested in what school I studied at, what other companies I worked for and how long, and how low of a salary I was willing to accept.
I always believed contributing to open source= experience until I joined a popular tech company.. and I bet you real life experiences beats degree, working under pressure, seeing systems that thousands of users make use suddenly stop and your team trying to resolve it is an unbeatable experience
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:11pm On Oct 24, 2023
Experience does the job perfectly,degree is just a learner grin
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by abibun: 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2023
NGO consider experience more
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by abibun: 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2023
Work boku for you under NGO, not just learn data analysis, learn not to be lazy with it o
africanman85:
How can we get this experience ? I want to go into Data analysis. I hope is a good part with many jobs ?
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by blingxx(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2023
Olachase:
Experience will get you the job while degree will get you promotion

If anybody tells you anything aside this the person hate you

Not anymore the world is changing mark Zuckerberg and Elon musk hired IT guys with no degree, your idea about education doesn't apply anymore

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by africanman85: 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2023
abibun:
Work boku for you under NGO, not just learn data analysis, learn not to be lazy with it o
Can we connect bro ?
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by DiamondPant(f): 7:40pm On Oct 24, 2023
Unclebayo:
Pls I need a convincing answer to this before I dive fully in into tech.

To gain the requisite experience in a job, you need relevant qualifications.
If it's a job that requires a degree to start, you must have got a degree.
So in most cases, experience is a consequence of a degree.
But for jobs that do not necessarily require a degree to begin, experience comes first because such jobs are mostly skill based.
You have an added advantage if you have a degree and you are experienced.
But trust me, the question of "what can you do for us?" is more frequently asked than "what qualifications do you have?" especially in the tech space.
Most employers don't care what universities you've attended.
You must prove to them that you have the necessary skills and expertise to function in the role they want to fill.

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Mosba: 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2023
It depends on the country concern. In Nigeria, it's all about certificate (Though, it's second consideration after connection). This brings me to the time I was tasked to train someone with much higher qualification where I work. He collects 6 times my salary but knew nothing until I trained him despite his certificate.
However, in advanced countries we love to run to it's about experience otherwise known as what you bring to the table..
It's why CSU allows third party to issue their school certificate because it's transcript that contains details of student academic performance.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by frankson1(m): 7:56pm On Oct 24, 2023
DyingFetus:
Both matters to employers except faang1

Get degree while getting experience

People with degree will always come first before people without degree

Take me for example

I have contributed features and bug fixes to popular open source projects but when I mention this to recruiters or during the technical interview, the interviewer doesn't seem to be interested in those.

They were more interested in what school I studied at, what other companies I worked for and how long, and how low of a salary I was willing to accept.

The oil and gas field is different. Just have your certificates (professional), loads of experience and you're good to go.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Inner19(m): 8:06pm On Oct 24, 2023
Must the degree be related to Tech?

For example, if someone has a B.Sc in Zoology and the person dives into Tech and gets tech skills, will the person's degree give him or her an advantage in terms of recruitment over someone who doesn't have a degree but has same tech skills.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by UHLmoving: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2023
Both
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Oboto700(m): 8:21pm On Oct 24, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Experience

But also try to have your degree

I'm a software developer, most of my interviewers never ask me questions about my degree but it mere presence in my CV make them focus on more important area, if it's not there they will probably ask, then I'll start to explain

If you can have your degree, please do
But if you have to choose between acquiring skill or degree, please and please acquire skill

You can always get degree or whatever later
make una carry una software go sit down.. una no go allow person hear word again
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by folake4u(f): 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2023
Soft skills.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Exceed15: 9:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
Experience. No time to spend money on training.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Obodo999(m): 9:34pm On Oct 24, 2023
Who degree helps. Acquire the skills and thank me later. If you have the skills, you can be your own boss.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by fijihems: 1:57am On Oct 25, 2023
In the UK, experience is most important and valued. You hardly see indigenous people aspiring to get higher degrees.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Besuccesful: 4:04am On Oct 25, 2023
Do you need a staff in your company? Kindly Contact MDRecruit Agency on our Whatsapp number.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by chukzyfcbb: 6:46am On Oct 25, 2023
Inner19:
Must the degree be related to Tech?

For example, if someone has a B.Sc in Zoology and the person dives into Tech and gets tech skills, will the person's degree give him or her an advantage in terms of recruitment over someone who doesn't have a degree but has same tech skills.

That has no relevance in tech.

Where degree plays a huge part is when going into senior management positions and that's when folks take up MBA courses and what not

For a large part of your entry years into tech, Bsc in zoology has no bearing. What could be discriminating is HND Vs Bsc and even that doesn't cut across all the firms who need techies

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by hefelove(m): 7:12am On Oct 25, 2023
Experience

I need a car for rental to be use for (uber and bolt business), to deliver weekly.

I’m ready to start work immediately.

If you are an intending investor/partner and you are willing to invest in uber/bolt business in Lagos

I will handle your car with utmost care and you will have good return on your investment.

I am ready to pay weekly as agreed without any stories.

I will provide verifiable guarantor as needed.

car security is guaranteed.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Karlifate: 7:51am On Oct 25, 2023
stuffs2002:

Hahaha
I seems some engineers and doctors snatched your girlfriend because your assertion is coming from a place of envy and bitterness

Maybe he wanted to study one of the aforementioned, but his cut-off mark gave him something else. 😂
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Karlifate: 8:03am On Oct 25, 2023
frankson1:

The oil and gas field is different. Just have your certificates (professional), loads of experience and you're good to go.
💯

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by DlegendofGarden(m): 12:30pm On Oct 25, 2023
nairalee:
Experience over Degree any fucking day

If u like have a Ph.D in bookology. if u have no sensology then its uselesogy

Nice topic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP / Challenge Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.