Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,213 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? (15370 Views)

Nigerian Employers Always Think They Are Doing You A Favor / Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? / Uber Vs Taxify - Which Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by MT: 3:13pm On Oct 25, 2023
stuffs2002:

Hahaha
I seems some engineers and doctors snatched your girlfriend because your assertion is coming from a place of envy and bitterness

People that do not align with your view must be envious and has bitterness.

How many of Nigeria professionals can really practice abroad ?. Lot of them cheated in their WAEC, and bribed their way through university.

Do you think all those question that starts with - "Why? List, Define, Mention" prepares students for real life experience.

Lot of so-called IT professionals are here doing care works when they cannot ace interview that revolves around real practical experience.

Just dey there.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by preciouswoman66(m): 3:29pm On Oct 25, 2023
Aremson14:

I always believed contributing to open source= experience until I joined a popular tech company.. and I bet you real life experiences beats degree, working under pressure, seeing systems that thousands of users make use suddenly stop and your team trying to resolve it is an unbeatable experience

Contributing to opensource == experience*

And I meant opensource projects with backings of corporate bodies and not just the ones headed and ran by less than five individuals

*Opensource contributions is one way of getting experience

1 Like

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by stuffs2002: 3:35pm On Oct 25, 2023
MT:

People that do not align with your view must be envious and has bitterness.

How many of Nigeria professionals can really practice abroad ?. Lot of them cheated in their WAEC, and bribed their way through university.

Do you think all those question that starts with - "Why? List, Define, Mention" prepares students for real life experience.

Lot of so-called IT professionals are here doing care works when they cannot ace interview that revolves around real practical experience.

Just dey there.

You say wetin? Dey play

https://www.osundefender.com/nigerian-woman-becomes-health-minister-in-canada/amp/

Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by MT: 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2023
stuffs2002:

You say wetin? Dey play

https://www.osundefender.com/nigerian-woman-becomes-health-minister-in-canada/amp/

What you cited was an isolated case, and did you bother to read the profile of the person you cited.....born and bred in Canada.

I doubt you have ever been to the western world before.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by stuffs2002: 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2023
MT:

What you cited was an isolated case, and did you bother to read the profile of the person you cited.....born and bred in Canada.

I doubt you have ever been to the western world before.

My 2nd masters degree was in Wichita, Kansas
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by MT: 4:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
stuffs2002:

My 2nd masters degree was in Wichita, Kansas

So you said. Anyone could claim to be anything on the internet.

You were drifting away from what I pointed out in your submission.

Anyway, not everyone there is informed.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by WhizdomXX(m): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2023
99thEnemy:
Experience bra. cool

Especially in I.T. cool cool
What do you mean by I.T.?
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by stuffs2002: 5:52pm On Oct 25, 2023
MT:

So you said. Anyone could claim to be anything on the internet.

You were drifting away from what I pointed out in your submission.

Anyway, not everyone there is informed.

I have absolutely nothing to prove to your likes
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by 99thEnemy(m): 8:50pm On Oct 25, 2023
WhizdomXX:

What do you mean by I.T.?
Information Technology.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by DonroxyII: 10:45am On Oct 26, 2023
Unclebayo:
Pls I need a convincing answer to this before I dive fully in into tech.

They are too different Phenomenon That Must Happened to a Personnel depending on Your Operational Level ....

Degree will teach You Knowledges Modules Required for the Job so as for you To be able to Diversify peradventure the issue at hand get K-Leg

Experiences introduced You to the practicality of the Knowledges Modules So You won't be Operating On Abstract Theories in Your Head Without Dirtying Your Hands.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by Inner19(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2023
chukzyfcbb:

That has no relevance in tech.

Where degree plays a huge part is when going into senior management positions and that's when folks take up MBA courses and what not

For a large part of your entry years into tech, Bsc in zoology has no bearing. What could be discriminating is HND Vs Bsc and even that doesn't cut across all the firms who need techies

Alright.

Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? by blaskikv: 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2023
Professional certification + internships should land you a job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP / Challenge Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.