Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship (20907 Views)

The Story Behind The Journey: Chronicles Of My Service Year / The Chronicles Of A Nigerian Graduate ( Nigerian Graduate get in here) / Young Man Flies First Flight As Airline Pilot With His Parents On Board. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Starpro87(m): 11:20am On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
Day 2 (Wednesday 9th August, 2023)

I resumed for work a few minutes to 0800 today and went straight to the workshop to continue my rag cutting task. I had already being told by my cabin mate that I should always endeavor to get to work by 0750H. One of the ladies working in the ECR (Engine Control Room) came to call me and said that the chief engineer didn't know I had come that I should always come to the ECR first or else the chief engineer(CE) will think I came late. On getting to the ECR met some other officers of the engine room. The CE addressed all of us on being hardworking and avoid being negligent. He said he's watching and will take disciplinary action if necessary. He then dismissed us. After sometime he called me to ask for the ship I had worked before and I answered that this was my first time on board. He said I should be very careful being a first timer I should take things easy and should stay away from moving machinery until I know how to operate it. He asked for my career ambition which I told him I wish to progress to oiler then upwards. He then informed me that I should come to his cabin on Saturdays or Sundays to collect his boiler and civil suit to wash. Below is the hierarchy of the engine room ( from top to bottom):
Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Electrician
Fitter
Motorman
Oiler 1
Oiler 2
Wiper
(I may update in the future in case it's not correct)
One of the expatriate (of which I am yet to know his designation) came to call me that the CE wants to do some work that I should assist him. I went to help him bring in some of the things he wants to use to work in the workshop. He later instructed me to empty the dustbin which I did with the help of my cabin mate and the motorman. I also went down the engine room with both of them to clean the filter of the high sea check.
Veronica one of the ladies came to call us that provisions for the ship had arrived and that we should collect and put in store. While we were collecting the provisions I moved close to Alhaji Sariyu He told me he wondered why people are so selfish. He said the monthly allocation for the ship for food provisions is 1.2m but that everyone wants to cut their own share. From the captain, Chief Cook up to the people bringing it. We both agreed that that is the general attitude of Nigerians always wanting to get selfish benefits for any chance given to them. I was called to the 'Bridge' (Office of the captain and the ship's navigation center)today at several times to get my personal data and documents.

My little advice is that you should stick to it because you have a very great prospect.

Most importantly, that your department is a great place to work, onboard.

It's a life changing career.
Good luck.

11 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by eepeepook: 11:21am On Oct 04, 2023
I have a similar experience about life working offshore. Your schedule looks more loose than mine. One thing I know is to never criticize another man’s job. If you work on a ship or rig, you are going to work hard.

OP, you need to create paragraphs in your write-ups. They are hard to go through.

11 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by YOUNGELDER1(m): 11:23am On Oct 04, 2023
Lovelife433:
Nonsense

You’re a clown 🤡

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Nokio2: 11:24am On Oct 04, 2023
I fit use my new CSU diploma become una captain...I have watch all the series of pirates of the Caribbean so captain Jack sparrow taught me well.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by sonofthunder: 11:26am On Oct 04, 2023
I'm not encouraged to read. No paragraph no structure.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by formular2002(m): 11:27am On Oct 04, 2023
I love the write up. its inspiring and revealing. But u for spice it up with pictures.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Germi9: 11:29am On Oct 04, 2023
Una read am?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by PHAYOL81: 11:34am On Oct 04, 2023
Following, nice write up.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by dona4real(m): 11:39am On Oct 04, 2023
Honestly it ain't been easy been a sailor,as a naval personnel u won't know until u come
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by blakkydikky(m): 11:58am On Oct 04, 2023
sonofthunder:
... Be finding paragraph and structure up and down o.

13 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by thatigboman: 12:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
Op, it is discrimination to say that there is work that a man can do that a woman cant. in advanced countries, you can go to jail for saying that.

12 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by babz11(m): 12:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
illuminutty:
Pictures or adonbilivit.

Jazakhumlai khair
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by babz11(m): 12:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
thatigboman:
Op, it is discrimination to say that there is work that a man can do that a woman cant. in advanced countries, you can go to jail for saying that.

That's just a fact, he is talking based on religion

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Pootle: 12:15pm On Oct 04, 2023
paragraphing, pictures and leave out religion undecided

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by poiZon: 12:18pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
Such is the importance of a woman. Whatever glory comes to the family is to her credits though she may not always be acknowledged for it. But the Amighty who has given her that role always compensate her very well if she plays the role to the best of her ability.
Coming to seafaring and men/marriage. As I mentioned earlier, for men it's best they start seafaring at very early age, probably before marriage and keep themselves chaste. If marriage comes while you have started seafaring, you must consider very well the kind of woman you want to marry very well. If you are the kind of man that can't keep chaste consider seafaring with short contracts like two weeks onshore and two weeks offshore, or one month onshore and one month offshore. An average seafaring contracts runs at least 6 months but can extend more than that depending on conditions that may or may not be under your control. Islamically you are not supposed to leave a woman for more than four to six months except in rare cases which I know must be religious or cases to which you are helpless. So the woman you want to marry must be made to know the conditions surrounding a seafarer's life. We have been created with different appetite for food, such is our urge for the opposite sex. Some can withstand it for long and some can't, which might be no fault of theirs. So if you want your partner to be faithful then consider her condition. As for those who enter into seafaring after marriage (like myself )at least you must have understood your partner and know her endurance level. If you know this and you still go ahead into seafaring, if your marriage hit the rocks then you might have noone to blame except yourself.
Seafaring life is a very enticing life and as one of the officers in our ship said, working onboard and if you are in a good level you can get in a month a salary of a year's work on land and you don't even need to deduct any money for transportation. If you are not careful you might spend most part of your life at sea. Anyway if you have decided seafaring career for yourself, I wish you the best of luck. I welcome comments and creative criticism especially from my seniors and those that have preceded me in this field and my prayer is; 'May you never labour in vain' . Aamin.
Can I DM u?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by xavuv: 12:25pm On Oct 04, 2023
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by inkon: 12:27pm On Oct 04, 2023

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Allisgud: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2023
The way u are narrating it,look like u people are in a slave camp

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by DAYTOR: 12:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
Please how do I join the company Baba
I have the following documents valid
- STCW
- OIL TANKER FAMILIARIZATION (OTF)
- ISPS
- MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
- DISCHARGE BOOKLET
- YELLOW CARD
- PASSPORT
- NIMASA STATUS AS ELECTRICIAN
- TRADE TEST 1 TO 3
- DEGRE IN ELECTRICAL

PLEASE YOU CAN REACH ME ON CALL/WHATSAPP ON 07058327257 or monvicdaytor@gmail.com.

THANKS, AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.
OTHERS WHO CAN ASSIST FOR PLACEMENT CAN ALSO REACH ME.

Day One (Tuesday 8th August,2023
I can say my seafaring experience started with the company Oceanic Transport Limited (not real name).
My contract was signed on the 8th of August 2023, 3 copies- one was left at the office and I was to take 2 along one for myself and one for the ship's captain. I embarked on the ship ST.MT. ZAHZOO (not real name) the same day. My experience while taking the flying boat to the ship was also interesting. From the window I could see the sea and some ships too were scattered here and there. I also noticed some big granite stones were used to line some places which I figure is to break the strength of the ocean waves and prevent them from going beyond. We were stopped on the way by NDLEA officials and they enquire from the driver who we were to which he answered surveyors and crew members. One of them entered and asked the only lady among us some questions and asked to identify herself which she did. We also stopped at Naval checkpoint and there was not any issue.
Now we arrived at the ship and myself and one other person. The scalar (rope ladder) was dropped and we had to carefully climb. Luckily the ship had stair about midway which was used to finally enter the ship. The captain was around and asked for my age which I told him. He asked if that was my first time on board ship which I answered in the affirmative. He said I was older than him and he asked a question which I could not answer. Not a very hard one but because it was long I studied the training book. The officer that came with me said I should have just said something as once you are taught a thing you come to know it as everybody started from somewhere. I pray the captain doesn't use it against me.

I was ushered in and shown the cabin I was to stay. It had an occupant, a cadet,, Mr. Stanley who received me very well and showed me where to put my luggage ( to be contd)[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Dshocker(m): 12:34pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."

A friend of mine used to be a seaman, and from what he told me; The job is profitable, but you hardly save, unless you are disciplined.

The chances of your wife cheating on you is high.

Your children will grow and be wayward, since there is no fatherly guidance or discipline.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ednut1(m): 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2023
I was stuck on an oil ship for 1 week. I was supposed to spend one day to do stock count of their crude inventory but harmattan didn’t the helicopter to come pick us. I was rolling on the bed as the ship dey move from side to side. Scary shit

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by BigIyanga: 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2023
What brand and model of engines are powering your ship!m? CAT, Cummins, MTU?

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by mannasseh(m): 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
goodyvin02:
I have always wanted to work in a ship, they nickname me in secondary school was maritime because I always talking about being a sailor

and now you own a POS Shop?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by CJStarz: 12:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
The main gist .... It's a muslim-filled ship. I no understand any other thing here

9 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by kkash: 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2023
eepeepook:
I have a similar experience about life working offshore. Your schedule looks more loose than mine. One thing I know is to never criticize another man’s job. If you work on a ship or rig, you are going to work hard.

OP, you need to create paragraphs in your write-ups. They are hard to go through.

Very loose......normally breakfast is 4:30am to 6:00am....and after the toolbox, work starts....its exhausting honestly

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by DND069: 1:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
dona4real:
Honestly it ain't been easy been a sailor,as a naval personnel u won't know until u come

May I ask, are you a sailor?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by porthouse7(f): 1:07pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."
onshore is even more dangerous with police,lastma ,vio , ndlea and more, I will rather leave permanently offshore

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AngelicBeing: 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2023
Hmmmmmm
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by blacksam01: 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2023
the film "last ship" comes to mind
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by LeeSmart: 1:29pm On Oct 04, 2023
thatigboman:
I stopped reading when i saw daht too, e come worsen am wen him come carry him religious something spoil am de more.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by BigIyanga: 1:31pm On Oct 04, 2023
sonofthunder:
Gossip bloggs abd social media dey get paragraph?

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by LeeSmart: 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2023
babz11:

That's just a fact, he is talking based on religion
Based on religion? Na dis kind person go come cause problem on board the ship using religion oo.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Youths Think That Computer + Internet Connection = Yahoo Yahoo? / ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case / My Life As A Teacher.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.