Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship (20903 Views)

The Story Behind The Journey: Chronicles Of My Service Year / The Chronicles Of A Nigerian Graduate ( Nigerian Graduate get in here) / Young Man Flies First Flight As Airline Pilot With His Parents On Board. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by RevDesm0ndJuju: 1:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
I won't advice anyone to choose this career route because over the years shipping companies have become so dubious towards their crew members.

You will be owed salary for months and denied port leave as well. Rations onboard are terrible and work conditions are slave tier.

Most of the ships are registered in countries that have zero maritime and cabotage labour laws.

Most offshore crew are now drawn from poor SEA and Asian countries unlike what transpired years before were the international shipping industry was dominated by European crew.

The owners of these shipping companies are all Jewish and they try to evade local hiring and labour rules and regulations by registering their vessels under the flag of countries with next to no maritime labour laws.

I will advice that if you must go down this career path ensure its with a local firm or a firm that is under Nigerian cabotage regulation.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by agyo(m): 1:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
As if u know what i am looking for

one sentence i no read, na pic i de look for.

How can he be this mean?

Angelfrost:
In the absence of pictures, forget this thread, Op.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by sonofthunder: 1:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
BigIyanga:

Gossip bloggs abd social media dey get paragraph?

That would be a shityy blog
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
eepeepook:
I have a similar experience about life working offshore. Your schedule looks more loose than mine. One thing I know is to never criticize another man’s job. If you work on a ship or rig, you are going to work hard.

OP, you need to create paragraphs in your write-ups. They are hard to go through.

Tbozun,
Please adhere to this. Juxtaposing all your writeups make it unpleasant and unattractive to read.

Please try to press your ENTER key twice on your keypad for new paragraphs.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Enjoy your new career!

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
Allisgud:
The way u are narrating it,look like u people are in a slave camp

Phahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry but I found your comment quite funny.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2023
Dshocker:

A friend of mine used to be a seaman, and from what he told me; The job is profitable, but you hardly save, unless you are disciplined.

The chances of your wife cheating on you is high.

Your children will grow and be wayward, since there is no fatherly guidance or discipline.

If I may ask, why is saving difficult?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:14pm On Oct 04, 2023
porthouse7:
onshore is even more dangerous with police,lastma ,vio , ndlea and more, I will rather leave permanently offshore

Another funny comment

Phahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hilarious!
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 2:14pm On Oct 04, 2023
Welcome aboard, it's good to have a fellow seafarer on this forum grin grin grin

You are lucky to be employed onboard with your age as a wiper, I think you have someone at the top who linked you up in the company and from your story i've read, You are working on an Oil tanker vessel and which could happen to be (ST company - abbreviated for personal reason).

Your job description as a wiper is to keep the engine room clean and tidy, Help out in other engineering jobs carried in the engine room... You are in the lowest rank in the engine room department, and i will advise you keep your head on the ground and learn the job instead of poke nosing on ship provisions etc or using religion stuffs in your workplace since the owner of the company shares the same faith with you.

Your next rank you should be targeting is "Oiler" this is an engine room rating personnel who also helps the duty engineer in their daily tasks in the enginee room and you must apply for the watchkeeping exams and must pass before climbing up the rank.

Then your next rank should be Fourth Engineer and this involves a lot if you keep your head down to study and get your license.

My word of advice to you: Get closer to your duty engineer and learn the piping arrangements of the vessel, boiler operation, Main engine shutdown and starting operations, purifier maintenance and other anciliaries, This will make you a good engineer in the future.

I know the Indians onboard can be frustrating but that shouldnt deter you from learning.

Also as a married man, After getting your Oiler watchkeeping certificate, You can target applying to Offshore vessels which has less contract duration of (2 months on/ 1 month off) unlike tanker vessels of 6 months contract and extension.

I wish you luck!!!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Love800(m): 2:28pm On Oct 04, 2023
Hello.
Dis wiper that the op is being called, is it the same tin as cleaner?

Me dat is an ssce holder, 26yrs of age, can i apply for this kind of work, a cleaner onshore?
fashrola:
Welcome aboard, it's good to have a fellow seafarer on this forum grin grin grin

You are lucky to be employed onboard with your age as a wiper, I think you have someone at the top who linked you up in the company and from your story i've read, You are working on an Oil tanker vessel and which could happen to be (ST company - abbreviated for personal reason).

Your job description as a wiper is to keep the engine room clean and tidy, Help out in other engineering jobs carried in the engine room... You are in the lowest rank in the engine room department, and i will advise you keep your head on the ground and learn the job instead of poke nosing on ship provisions etc or using religion stuffs in your workplace since the owner of the company shares the same faith with you.

Your next rank you should be targeting is "Oiler" this is an engine room rating personnel who also helps the duty engineer in their daily tasks in the enginee room and you must apply for the watchkeeping exams and must pass before climbing up the rank.

Then your next rank should be Fourth Engineer and this involves a lot if you keep your head down to study and get your license.

My word of advice to you: Get closer to your duty engineer and learn the piping arrangements of the vessel, boiler operation, Main engine shutdown and starting operations, purifier maintenance and other anciliaries, This will make you a good engineer in the future.

I know the Indians onboard can be frustrating but that shouldnt deter you from learning.

Also as a married man, After getting your Oiler watchkeeping certificate, You can target applying to Offshore vessels which has less contract duration of (2 months on/ 1 month off) unlike tanker vessels of 6 months contract and extension.

I wish you luck!!!

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2023
Love800:
Hello.
Dis wiper that the op is being called, is it the same tin as cleaner?

Me dat is an ssce holder, 26yrs of age, can i apply for this kind of work, a cleaner onshore?

If you have the connect grin because those kind of positions are reserved for the host community especially for offshore vessels

Note: Wiper is only available on bigger ships like Oil tankers, bulk carriers but not on offshore vessels like AHTS, PSVs or DSVs

Wiper's job is not limited to cleaning lol but as a helper to the duty engineer

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Love800(m): 2:38pm On Oct 04, 2023
Ok
fashrola:

If you have the connect grin because those kind of positions are reserved for the host community especially for offshore vessels

Note: Wiper is only available on bigger ships like Oil tankers, bulk carriers but not on offshore vessels like AHTS, PSVs or DSVs

Wiper's job is not limited to cleaning lol but as a helper to the duty engineer
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
RevDesm0ndJuju:
I won't advice anyone to choose this career route because over the years shipping companies have become so dubious towards their crew members.

You will be owed salary for months and denied port leave as well. Rations onboard are terrible and work conditions are slave tier.

Most of the ships are registered in countries that have zero maritime and cabotage labour laws.

Most offshore crew are now drawn from poor SEA and Asian countries unlike what transpired years before were the international shipping industry was dominated by European crew.

The owners of these shipping companies are all Jewish and they try to evade local hiring and labour rules and regulations by registering their vessels under the flag of countries with next to no maritime labour laws.

I will advice that if you must go down this career path ensure its with a local firm or a firm that is under Nigerian cabotage regulation.

You are not far from the truth..... I think most of the tanker crew are suffering from this act from shipowners

That's why i am sticking with offshore vessels, where i earn better and more flexible time to do other things

Thank God for Saudi Aramco opening lot of offers to Nigerian Seafarers.......

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by RevDesm0ndJuju: 2:48pm On Oct 04, 2023
fashrola:

You are not far from the truth..... I think most of the tanker crew are suffering from this act from shipowners

That's why i am sticking with offshore vessels, where i earn better and more flexible time to do other things

Thank God for Saudi Aramco opening lot of offers to Nigerian Seafarers.......

Shipping container vessels are the worst

I saw a doc recently on how the international shipping industry is shrouded in secrecy over its real owners and how slave labour conditions of third world workers is being exploited.

Working with shipping companies that are directly regulated by NIMASA and Nigerian cabotage laws is far better.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Dshocker(m): 2:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
ferhyntorlah:

If I may ask, why is saving difficult?

Due to lack of the opposite sex, they tend to womanize and spend lavishly.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Shipping container vessels are the worst

I saw a doc recently on how the international shipping industry is shrouded in secrecy over its real owners and how slave labour conditions of third world workers is being exploited.

Working with shipping companies that are directly regulated by NIMASA and Nigerian cabotage laws is far better.

Indigenous maritime companies are also taking seafarers for a ride also, that is why lot of us are leaving for Saudi Arabia, Dubai & UK jobs which pays X3 of what we earn in Nigeria, except for multinational companies in Nigeria which their daily rate is very ok.

NIMASA are not carrying out their responsibilities on enforcing the International wages for seafarers in Nigeria, I hope the new minister of blue economy works towards it.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by RevDesm0ndJuju: 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
Dshocker:

Port calls and hookers.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by RevDesm0ndJuju: 2:59pm On Oct 04, 2023
fashrola:

Indigenous maritime companies are also taking seafarers for a ride also, that is why lot of us are leaving for Saudi Arabia, Dubai & UK jobs which pays X3 of what we earn in Nigeria, except for multinational companies in Nigeria which their daily rate is very ok.

NIMASA are not carrying out their responsibilities on enforcing the International wages for seafarers in Nigeria, I hope the new minister of blue economy works towards it.

I thought the Nigerian Maritime Cabotage law also ensures not only local content but also good working conditions for Nigerian maritime workers ?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 3:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
Dshocker:

lol...... Its tied to your personality, even though it was rampant with olden days seafarers, but new breed seafarers are more calculative with their spending and their sexual urges wink

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 3:11pm On Oct 04, 2023
RevDesm0ndJuju:

I thought the Nigerian Maritime Cabotage law also ensures not only local content but also good working conditions for Nigerian maritime workers ?

Dey play!!! lol ever since local content law came into play into the maritime sector, it has worsen the conditions of seafarers

When Indigenous firms started becoming big players in the system, they made sure the jumbo packages and allowances paid by the multinational companies were slashed and some will even be owing you salary for months.

The maritime industry in the country died the day local content was introduced, Lot of foreign companies left the country with lof of their ships and up till now the indigenous companies can not meet up with the growing demand in the industry.

Anything a black man touches turns to dust embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 3:21pm On Oct 04, 2023
Day 3(10th of August,2023)

Today also began with subhi prayer, I then started to read my training tutorial to keep myself updated with the life at sea a routine I started from day 2. When it was time for breakfast I went to take it and then proceeded to ECR room after wearing my boot in the dressing room.

At the ECR, the CE was there so also other crew members of the engine room started coming in. As I was waiting I looked around at all the controls and it make to now wonder if all these controls are just for a ship and so complex how then will be the controls of heaven and Earth by Allah be if He were to be using controls but far is He above that. I looked at the wall and saw the general arrangements drawings of the ship with plans and sections. Due to my previous knowledge of Engineering drawings I could be able to make some meaning. The ship was 110 long- not yet sure if that is in m or ft. The ship had tanks-big tanks fa! built into it. I also noticed that the paint store was at the bow (front part) of the ship. That reminds me I have later enquired and now know the answer to the question the cappy asked me. If you are facing the bow(front) of the ship to your right side is the starboard side of the ship while to your left is the Port side.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2023
Theboss001:
NO PICS? angry
Coming later
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2023
eepeepook:
I have a similar experience about life working offshore. Your schedule looks more loose than mine. One thing I know is to never criticize another man’s job. If you work on a ship or rig, you are going to work hard.

OP, you need to create paragraphs in your write-ups. They are hard to go through.
Thanks for the observation. I am trying to squeeze time to write this I will try to do that

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 3:26pm On Oct 04, 2023
thatigboman:
Op, it is discrimination to say that there is work that a man can do that a woman cant. in advanced countries, you can go to jail for saying that.
What makes them advanced

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
Please how do I join the company Baba
I have the following documents valid
- STCW
- OIL TANKER FAMILIARIZATION (OTF)
- ISPS
- MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
- DISCHARGE BOOKLET
- YELLOW CARD
- PASSPORT
- NIMASA STATUS AS ELECTRICIAN
- TRADE TEST 1 TO 3
- DEGRE IN ELECTRICAL

PLEASE YOU CAN REACH ME ON CALL/WHATSAPP ON 07058327257 or monvicdaytor@gmail.com.

THANKS, AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.
OTHERS WHO CAN ASSIST FOR PLACEMENT CAN ALSO REACH ME.

Well i will advice you to check online for Oil tanker companies, also take a walk dem full Apapa, drop your CV too,

Working onboard as an electrician has a good prospect of climbing the rank of an ETO

You can get your license as an ETO in Ghana at the moment, cos Nigeria does not offer ETO license

Industry pay rate for ETO goes as $250 per day on offshore vessels in Saudi Aramco

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by RevDesm0ndJuju: 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
fashrola:

Dey play!!! lol ever since local content law came into play into the maritime sector, it has worsen the conditions of seafarers

When Indigenous firms started becoming big players in the system, they made sure the jumbo packages and allowances paid by the multinational companies were slashed and some will even be owing you salary for months.

The maritime industry in the country died the day local content was introduced, Lot of foreign companies left the country with lof of their ships and up till now the indigenous companies can not meet up with the growing demand in the industry.

Anything a black man touches turns to dust embarassed

Tragic!

We are our own worse enemies.

So the local companies used the law to chase out multinational firms only to end up exploiting workers far worse.

Nah wah.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by abike12(f): 3:46pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:

What makes them advanced

the fact that people of your big age have more career prospects and a society that takes care of them?

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by fashrola(m): 3:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Tragic!

We are our own worse enemies.

So the local companies used the law to chase out multinational firms only to end up exploiting workers far worse.

Nah wah.

Very Correct!!!!

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by abike12(f): 3:52pm On Oct 04, 2023
thatigboman:
Op, it is discrimination to say that there is work that a man can do that a woman cant. in advanced countries, you can go to jail for saying that.

his very loud biases will limit his advancement. I can't imagine having someone that thinks like this as my direct report

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Godstime234: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
panetog:
personal phones not allowed😊

Why? So how do u contact your family and love ones . How do u do communication?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by eepeepook: 5:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
kkash:

Very loose......normally breakfast is 4:30am to 6:00am....and after the toolbox, work starts....its exhausting honestly
Very. Your living quarters and work site are likely kilometers apart. Mine is in one location. Our breakfast starts at 06:15. Toolbox starts at 07:00. Work ends at 18:00. Still exhausting. No matter how much sleep I get, physical recovery never takes place until I return home. My only benefit is I sleep till 06:00 daily and rush through morning grooming routines.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by DarkDairo: 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2023
Please how do I go about theses certifications

Like which maritime school do I enroll?

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by akaahs(m): 5:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
Such is the importance of a woman. Whatever glory comes to the family is to her credits though she may not always be acknowledged for it. But the Amighty who has given her that role always compensate her very well if she plays the role to the best of her ability.
Coming to seafaring and men/marriage. As I mentioned earlier, for men it's best they start seafaring at very early age, probably before marriage and keep themselves chaste. If marriage comes while you have started seafaring, you must consider very well the kind of woman you want to marry very well. If you are the kind of man that can't keep chaste consider seafaring with short contracts like two weeks onshore and two weeks offshore, or one month onshore and one month offshore. An average seafaring contracts runs at least 6 months but can extend more than that depending on conditions that may or may not be under your control. Islamically you are not supposed to leave a woman for more than four to six months except in rare cases which I know must be religious or cases to which you are helpless. So the woman you want to marry must be made to know the conditions surrounding a seafarer's life. We have been created with different appetite for food, such is our urge for the opposite sex. Some can withstand it for long and some can't, which might be no fault of theirs. So if you want your partner to be faithful then consider her condition. As for those who enter into seafaring after marriage (like myself )at least you must have understood your partner and know her endurance level. If you know this and you still go ahead into seafaring, if your marriage hit the rocks then you might have noone to blame except yourself.
Seafaring life is a very enticing life and as one of the officers in our ship said, working onboard and if you are in a good level you can get in a month a salary of a year's work on land and you don't even need to deduct any money for transportation. If you are not careful you might spend most part of your life at sea. Anyway if you have decided seafaring career for yourself, I wish you the best of luck. I welcome comments and creative criticism especially from my seniors and those that have preceded me in this field and my prayer is; 'May you never labour in vain' . Aamin.
My brother_inlaw just started his career as a 4th engineer after obtaining relevant certification but the father really spent money.
Nice write up, thanks for enlighten us into the life of seafarer. Atleast I ll have something to discuss with him the next time we communicate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can I Tell My Boss To Stop Spamming My Phone? / Why Do Nigerian Youths Think That Computer + Internet Connection = Yahoo Yahoo? / ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.