Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship (20905 Views)

The Story Behind The Journey: Chronicles Of My Service Year / The Chronicles Of A Nigerian Graduate ( Nigerian Graduate get in here) / Young Man Flies First Flight As Airline Pilot With His Parents On Board. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Captainero: 5:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
You are talking about Seatransport Nigeria limited. It's a good company that gives ample opportunity for starters in the Nigerian maritme industry. But it's managed by Indians and we all know how they manage Nigerian companies. I started as wiper in the company,today I'm a Motorman and very soon I will write my COC exam and become a third engineer..I studied political and administrative studies in school. They only need to increase their salary for their Nigerian crew who do almost all the hard jobs onboard, this will stop experienced and hard working Nigerian hands leaving the company to other companies [qquote author=Tbozun post=126153865] Bismillah Rahmani Roheem
My Life at Sea
(Being my daily accounts of my experience as a seafarer)

Day One (Tuesday 8th August,2023
I can say my seafaring experience started with the company Oceanic Transport Limited (not real name).
My contract was signed on the 8th of August 2023, 3 copies- one was left at the office and I was to take 2 along one for myself and one for the ship's captain. I embarked on the ship ST.MT. ZAHZOO (not real name) the same day. My experience while taking the flying boat to the ship was also interesting. From the window I could see the sea and some ships too were scattered here and there. I also noticed some big granite stones were used to line some places which I figure is to break the strength of the ocean waves and prevent them from going beyond. We were stopped on the way by NDLEA officials and they enquire from the driver who we were to which he answered surveyors and crew members. One of them entered and asked the only lady among us some questions and asked to identify herself which she did. We also stopped at Naval checkpoint and there was not any issue.
Now we arrived at the ship and myself and one other person. The scalar (rope ladder) was dropped and we had to carefully climb. Luckily the ship had stair about midway which was used to finally enter the ship. The captain was around and asked for my age which I told him. He asked if that was my first time on board ship which I answered in the affirmative. He said I was older than him and he asked a question which I could not answer. Not a very hard one but because it was long I studied the training book. The officer that came with me said I should have just said something as once you are taught a thing you come to know it as everybody started from somewhere. I pray the captain doesn't use it against me.

I was ushered in and shown the cabin I was to stay. It had an occupant, a cadet,, Mr. Stanley who received me very well and showed me where to put my luggage ( to be contd)[/quote]
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by thatigboman: 6:29pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:

What makes them advanced
even Saudi Arabia and Iran are changing their attitude towards women, talkless of Nigeria that is a secular state

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by akaahs(m): 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:
Day 2 (Wednesday 9th August, 2023)

I resumed for work a few minutes to 0800 today and went straight to the workshop to continue my rag cutting task. I had already being told by my cabin mate that I should always endeavor to get to work by 0750H. One of the ladies working in the ECR (Engine Control Room) came to call me and said that the chief engineer didn't know I had come that I should always come to the ECR first or else the chief engineer(CE) will think I came late. On getting to the ECR met some other officers of the engine room. The CE addressed all of us on being hardworking and avoid being negligent. He said he's watching and will take disciplinary action if necessary. He then dismissed us. After sometime he called me to ask for the ship I had worked before and I answered that this was my first time on board. He said I should be very careful being a first timer I should take things easy and should stay away from moving machinery until I know how to operate it. He asked for my career ambition which I told him I wish to progress to oiler then upwards. He then informed me that I should come to his cabin on Saturdays or Sundays to collect his boiler and civil suit to wash. Below is the hierarchy of the engine room ( from top to bottom):
Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Electrician
Fitter
Motorman
Oiler 1
Oiler 2
Wiper
(I may update in the future in case it's not correct)
One of the expatriate (of which I am yet to know his designation) came to call me that the CE wants to do some work that I should assist him. I went to help him bring in some of the things he wants to use to work in the workshop. He later instructed me to empty the dustbin which I did with the help of my cabin mate and the motorman. I also went down the engine room with both of them to clean the filter of the high sea check.
Veronica one of the ladies came to call us that provisions for the ship had arrived and that we should collect and put in store. While we were collecting the provisions I moved close to Alhaji Sariyu He told me he wondered why people are so selfish. He said the monthly allocation for the ship for food provisions is 1.2m but that everyone wants to cut their own share. From the captain, Chief Cook up to the people bringing it. We both agreed that that is the general attitude of Nigerians always wanting to get selfish benefits for any chance given to them. I was called to the 'Bridge' (Office of the captain and the ship's navigation center)today at several times to get my personal data and documents.
Where is the place of the 4th engineer
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 7:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
akaahs:

Where is the place of the 4th engineer
Thanks for the reminder
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by akaahs(m): 7:10pm On Oct 04, 2023
fashrola:
Welcome aboard, it's good to have a fellow seafarer on this forum grin grin grin

You are lucky to be employed onboard with your age as a wiper, I think you have someone at the top who linked you up in the company and from your story i've read, You are working on an Oil tanker vessel and which could happen to be (ST company - abbreviated for personal reason).

Your job description as a wiper is to keep the engine room clean and tidy, Help out in other engineering jobs carried in the engine room... You are in the lowest rank in the engine room department, and i will advise you keep your head on the ground and learn the job instead of poke nosing on ship provisions etc or using religion stuffs in your workplace since the owner of the company shares the same faith with you.

Your next rank you should be targeting is "Oiler" this is an engine room rating personnel who also helps the duty engineer in their daily tasks in the enginee room and you must apply for the watchkeeping exams and must pass before climbing up the rank.

Then your next rank should be Fourth Engineer and this involves a lot if you keep your head down to study and get your license.

My word of advice to you: Get closer to your duty engineer and learn the piping arrangements of the vessel, boiler operation, Main engine shutdown and starting operations, purifier maintenance and other anciliaries, This will make you a good engineer in the future.

I know the Indians onboard can be frustrating but that shouldnt deter you from learning.

Also as a married man, After getting your Oiler watchkeeping certificate, You can target applying to Offshore vessels which has less contract duration of (2 months on/ 1 month off) unlike tanker vessels of 6 months contract and extension.

I wish you luck!!!

Nice input.
What ll be ur advice to my brother in law who just got appointment as a 4th engineer?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 7:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
DAYTOR:
Please how do I join the company Baba
I have the following documents valid
- STCW
- OIL TANKER FAMILIARIZATION (OTF)
- ISPS
- MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
- DISCHARGE BOOKLET
- YELLOW CARD
- PASSPORT
- NIMASA STATUS AS ELECTRICIAN
- TRADE TEST 1 TO 3
- DEGRE IN ELECTRICAL

PLEASE YOU CAN REACH ME ON CALL/WHATSAPP ON 07058327257 or monvicdaytor@gmail.com.

THANKS, AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.
OTHERS WHO CAN ASSIST FOR PLACEMENT CAN ALSO REACH ME.

He posted that there are some departments on:
Bridge
Deck
Engine room
Galley.

Electrician (we call them Elecki) falls under engine room and it ain't an easy position o especially for fellas with no onboard electrical experience.
Where I hussle,the position is held by only expatriates.

But that may not mean other companies don't have Nigerian electricians though,so you can always try.
You can also go the op way by becoming a wiper and worth hard and work your way to the top in the engine room... Good luck

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 7:44pm On Oct 04, 2023
kkash:

Very loose......normally breakfast is 4:30am to 6:00am....and after the toolbox, work starts....its exhausting honestly
Please what kind of vessel is that?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 7:45pm On Oct 04, 2023
porthouse7:
onshore is even more dangerous with police,lastma ,vio , ndlea and more, I will rather leave permanently offshore
But you are a female nah
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
Dshocker:

Due to lack of the opposite sex, they tend to womanize and spend lavishly.

Thanks for your reply.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 8:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
Love800:
Hello.
Dis wiper that the op is being called, is it the same tin as cleaner?

Me dat is an ssce holder, 26yrs of age, can i apply for this kind of work, a cleaner onshore?
It is not the same o.

Engine room wiper is very different from mere cleaner job. You need a lot of certification for a wiper job but you won't regret it since you are still very young.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by porthouse7(f): 8:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
AfonjaConehead:

But you are a female nah
me wey my dick na 7 inches
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2023
DarkDairo:
Please how do I go about theses certifications

Like which maritime school do I enroll?
Try Chakins in portharcourt or coastal maritime Lagos or Erkins... I think the fed govt maritime school at oron also does it

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Love800(m): 8:13pm On Oct 04, 2023
Ok
Tanks so much
AfonjaConehead:

It is not the same o.

Engine room wiper is very different from mere cleaner job. You need a lot of certification for a wiper job but you won't regret it since you are still very young.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by AfonjaConehead: 8:15pm On Oct 04, 2023
@ captainero please you don't have to reveal anything personal nah.. please modify your post,thanks

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by EngrKemp: 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
I'm an Electrician and I need a placement at the moment
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
Day 4 (Friday 11th August, 2023.)

I worked mostly with the new Fitter today. The old fitter had gone, he had complained that he was supposed to have disembarked but they had found no replacement for him so he had overstayed. I think he said he had used 9 months instead of 6( a contract term is usually of 6months duration,) and that his 3year old daughter that he left would be about a year now.

The CE had instructed the 2nd Engineer in the ECR room in our early morning brief that I should work with the Fitter. The work was a leaking pipeline that carried oil to the hydraulic pump. It ran between two platforms (floors) so it means we had to go up and down from time to time. Abeg e no easy o. I was called to the Bridge ( the ship's main control centre that also doubles as the admin office of the captain ( Master) in the night and was asked to bring a photocopy of my passport. They also asked that I declare the personal effects I had with me like phone, laptops etc which I did.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by saintruky(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2023
porthouse7:
me wey my dick na 7 inches

Such a small dick lol

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Obyangel: 9:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:

I worked mostly with the new Fitter today. The old fitter had gone, he had complained that he was supposed to have disembarked but they had found no replacement for him so he had overstayed. I think he said he had used 9 months instead of 6( a contract term is usually of 6months duration,) and that his 3year old daughter that he left would be about a year now.

The CE had instructed the 2nd Engineer in the ECR room in our early morning brief that I should work with the Fitter. The work was a leaking pipeline that carried oil to the hydraulic pump. It ran between two platforms (floors) so it means we had to go up and down from time to time. Abeg e no easy o. I was called to the Bridge ( the ship's main control centre that also doubles as the admin office of the captain ( Master) in the night and was asked to bring a photocopy of my passport. They also asked that I declare the personal effects I had with me like phone, laptops etc which I did.

Thanks for sharing your experience sir
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by KayB: 11:08pm On Oct 04, 2023
Tbozun:

Please any link to render ship shandling services ?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by dona4real(m): 11:28pm On Oct 04, 2023
Yes so
DND069:

May I ask, are you a sailor?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Tbozun: 12:17am On Oct 05, 2023
Day 5 (Saturday 12th August,2023)

Today started well and in the morning briefing of the CE in the ECR room he instructed that myself, the motorman and the cadet should go and clean the tank tops just below bottom platform which is the last platform below which is the base of the ship. Here is located the engine that runs the ship- a massive one indeed. 11,240 BHp (Brake horse power) and 127rpm( revolutions per minute). The diameter of the gear is no less than 3m. In this platform are located the pumps and there are many valves which we had to open and close at different times. We have an intertwining of pipes of various sizes it wasn't an easy job but somehow we did it.

Late in the afternoon after 1500 tea I resumed the cleaning of some engine the CE had instructed I did about 2 days ago which was where I ended today's work.

May Allah forgive me my solat were not really in order today. After Magrib I went to the CE cabin to ask for his civil clothes. I was wearing my sweater on my jalabia so he looked at me strangely and asked are you feeling cold? Then looked under and didn't understand he then asked if what I was wearing was lungi(the wrap around cloth usually worn by Indian men) and I said no. He said do you know lungi( and I said yes. He was about going out when I came so he invited me to enter and sit down. I uneasily sat down he asked about how I was finding the work and I told him I'm managing. He now said something like it will get better. After giving me the clothes he asked if I still had soap and I told him the one he had given me hasn't finished. He now went inside to bring like a small satchet to give me, I even thought it was hypo but he said I should eat it. I later found out that it's peanut biscuit so I ate it - of course after checking whether it was halal.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by lonelydora: 12:20am On Oct 05, 2023
fashrola:

Dey play!!! lol ever since local content law came into play into the maritime sector, it has worsen the conditions of seafarers

When Indigenous firms started becoming big players in the system, they made sure the jumbo packages and allowances paid by the multinational companies were slashed and some will even be owing you salary for months.

The maritime industry in the country died the day local content was introduced, Lot of foreign companies left the country with lof of their ships and up till now the indigenous companies can not meet up with the growing demand in the industry.

Anything a black man touches turns to dust embarassed

Same thing happening in the Oil and Gas sector. The local content law k!lled the oil and gas industry.

Black man, especially Nigerians, are very w!cked. It is well.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by lonelydora: 12:22am On Oct 05, 2023
Tbozun:
Day 3(10th of August,2023)

Today also began with subhi prayer, I then started to read my training tutorial to keep myself updated with the life at sea a routine I started from day 2. When it was time for breakfast I went to take it and then proceeded to ECR room after wearing my boot in the dressing room.

At the ECR, the CE was there so also other crew members of the engine room started coming in. As I was waiting I looked around at all the controls and it make to now wonder if all these controls are just for a ship and so complex how then will be the controls of heaven and Earth by Allah be if He were to be using controls but far is He above that. I looked at the wall and saw the general arrangements drawings of the ship with plans and sections. Due to my previous knowledge of Engineering drawings I could be able to make some meaning. The ship was 110 long- not yet sure if that is in m or ft. The ship had tanks-big tanks fa! built into it. I also noticed that the paint store was at the bow (front part) of the ship. That reminds me I have later enquired and now know the answer to the question the cappy asked me. If you are facing the bow(front) of the ship to your right side is the starboard side of the ship while to your left is the Port side.

E bi lyk say na Yusuf "Tunde" Sabiu newly acquired ship you dey work o.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by lonelydora: 12:28am On Oct 05, 2023
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Tragic!

We are our own worse enemies.

So the local companies used the law to chase out multinational firms only to end up exploiting workers far worse.

Nah wah.

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Oloniyan(m): 5:52am On Oct 05, 2023
Are you from Ekiti State?

Akonimohate12:
grin grin
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by BALLOSKI: 6:16am On Oct 05, 2023
Tbozun:

I resumed for work a few minutes to 0800 today and went straight to the workshop to continue my rag cutting task. I had already being told by my cabin mate that I should always endeavor to get to work by 0750H. One of the ladies working in the ECR (Engine Control Room) came to call me and said that the chief engineer didn't know I had come that I should always come to the ECR first or else the chief engineer(CE) will think I came late. On getting to the ECR met some other officers of the engine room. The CE addressed all of us on being hardworking and avoid being negligent. He said he's watching and will take disciplinary action if necessary. He then dismissed us. After sometime he called me to ask for the ship I had worked before and I answered that this was my first time on board. He said I should be very careful being a first timer I should take things easy and should stay away from moving machinery until I know how to operate it. He asked for my career ambition which I told him I wish to progress to oiler then upwards. He then informed me that I should come to his cabin on Saturdays or Sundays to collect his boiler and civil suit to wash. Below is the hierarchy of the engine room ( from top to bottom):
Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Electrician
Fitter
Motorman
Oiler 1
Oiler 2
Wiper
One of the expatriate (of which I am yet to know his designation) came to call me that the CE wants to do some work that I should assist him. I went to help him bring in some of the things he wants to use to work in the workshop. He later instructed me to empty the dustbin which I did with the help of my cabin mate and the motorman. I also went down the engine room with both of them to clean the filter of the high sea check.
Veronica one of the ladies came to call us that provisions for the ship had arrived and that we should collect and put in store. While we were collecting the provisions I moved close to Alhaji Sariyu He told me he wondered why people are so selfish. He said the monthly allocation for the ship for food provisions is 1.2m but that everyone wants to cut their own share. From the captain, Chief Cook up to the people bringing it. We both agreed that that is the general attitude of Nigerians always wanting to get selfish benefits for any chance given to them. I was called to the 'Bridge' (Office of the captain and the ship's navigation center)today at several times to get my personal data and documents.
Make sure you don't join in the ship politics or protest. Keep your mouth shut, alfa. You have to be silent and ask questions when necessary to learn. You don't have to give daily update here. You have done enough by starting this thread. You can't join work with nairaland. It's hectic.

May Allah protect and elevate you. May Allah put his barakat on the job.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by DND069: 6:59am On Oct 05, 2023
dona4real:
Yes so

Okay. I'd love to work on a ship. Can I dm you?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Gentlesoul2021(m): 10:19am On Oct 05, 2023
Tbozun:

Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Electrician
Fitter
Motorman
Oiler 1
Oiler 2
Wiper

Nice thread op. You're wonderful and I pray you progress down the line of ur new profession. Im so keen on becoming a seafarer and ur thread really caught my eye. Reading your tales thoroughly, I discover you made mention of the store section. Managing store room has been what I av been doing for years and I'll like to know what they call the person that manage the store room on sea. Store keeping has been what I like to do and I will like to continue this on the sea. Pls guide me on this...
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by panetog: 12:16pm On Oct 05, 2023
Godstime234:

Why? So how do u contact your family and love ones . How do u do communication?
u use d on board pone, this way people aren't distracted from work
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by dona4real(m): 7:48pm On Oct 05, 2023
Kk
DND069:

Okay. I'd love to work on a ship. Can I dm you?
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by Justiceleague1: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2023
Gentlesoul2021:

Nice thread op. You're wonderful and I pray you progress down the line of ur new profession. Im so keen on becoming a seafarer and ur thread really caught my eye. Reading your tales thoroughly, I discover you made mention of the store section. Managing store room has been what I av been doing for years and I'll like to know what they call the person that manage the store room on sea. Store keeping has been what I like to do and I will like to continue this on the sea. Pls guide me on this...
Bro there ain't no such position onboard ship especially onboard tankers. You best bet is to work your way to the galley department as a steward then progress as a cook. The chief cook is in charge of the ship provision store under the supervision of his superiors like the chief officer.
Re: Chronicles Of My Life On Board Ship by MonogramMaster(m): 11:11pm On Oct 06, 2023
Tbozun:

Chief Engineer
2nd Engineer
3rd Engineer
Electrician
Fitter
Motorman
Oiler 1
Oiler 2
Wiper

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Youths Think That Computer + Internet Connection = Yahoo Yahoo? / ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case / My Life As A Teacher.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.