Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? (1696 Views)

She Divorced Her Husband For Wasting Her Life Savings Of N4.5million / Man Get Tired Of Buying Baby’s Diapers, Says Wife Is Wasting It / Why Nigerians Love "Bad" News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Ahnii(f): 5:33am On Jan 10
My neighbors has this annoying habits.
Down to my compound,someone would turn on the sumo and the tank get filled and pouring out...Dem go forget say them on water down.

My next compound neighbors do same too and my street is always kinda flooded most mornings
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Acidosis(m): 8:46am On Jan 11
Thazard:
Please can you throw more light on the new generation soakaway?

Biodigester
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Acidosis(m): 8:50am On Jan 11
pocohantas:

It could be a 5 storey building with 4 tanks on top. No jokes.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by jmoore(m): 9:26am On Jan 11
Acidosis:

Biodigester
The way you were talking about modern soakaway as if it is used by most homes.

So it is biodigester you are talking about. Nawa. More than 99.9 of homes in Nigeria are not using biodigester.
Biodigester should be an alternative to septic tank, not soakaway.

Those who use biodigester also have soakaway where the water goes to or they channel the water out to the gutter infront of their houses. Not every street have gutters/drainage, so channeling the water from the biodigester/soakaway out of the house will create problems between the neighbours and the houseowner.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Kelechi009: 2:01pm On Jan 11
tensazangetsu20:
Something as basic as water shocked shocked shocked. Nigeria o cry cry cry

Is your apartment in Chile bills inclusive, because you're suppose to pay around $20 every month for water as other developed countries do. Unless you are living in a student dormitory.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:09pm On Jan 11
Kelechi009:

Is your apartment in Chile bills inclusive, because you're suppose to pay around $20 every month for water as other developed countries do. Unless you are living in a student dormitory.

It's all bills inclusive. There's nothing like student dormitories here.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Kelechi009: 2:30pm On Jan 11
tensazangetsu20:

It's all bills inclusive. There's nothing like student dormitories here.

So that is why you don't know that water is usually paid for, in America you will surely pay water bills and your eye go see shege ehn.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:34pm On Jan 11
Kelechi009:

So that is why you don't know that water is usually paid for, in America you will surely pay water bills and your eye go see shege ehn.

20 usd water bill is nothing if that's what one person pays. I know what I was spending weekly on just pure water before I left Nigeria. I don't even want to talk of maintenance of borehole and the likes of such nonsense. Fetching water inside bucket and all. Buying fuel to pump water or calling Mallam when generator don spoil grin grin. What a shithole country

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by jmoore(m): 3:34pm On Jan 11
tensazangetsu20:

20 usd water bill is nothing if that's what one person pays. I know what I was spending weekly on just pure water before I left Nigeria. I don't even want to talk of maintenance of borehole and the likes of such nonsense. Fetching water inside bucket and all. Buying fuel to pump water or calling Mallam when generator don spoil grin grin. What a shithole country
You have confessed how Nigerian landlords 'suffer' to provide water that you called it basic.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Kelechi009: 5:15pm On Jan 11
tensazangetsu20:

You are right, all those stress big pass 20 dollars
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by PawsitiveBro(m): 5:29pm On Jan 11
jmoore:
1: Pumping water: Many will switch on the water pump and the tank will overflow for 2-3 hours or more before they switch it off.
If they were using generator to pump the water, they will off it immediately a drop of water overflow. You can't try such on prepaid metre or your units will keep running out faster. Being on estimated billing gives them the morale to waste water.

2. Using water: Years ago, a landlord within the neighborhood came to meet my Dad. He complained that his soakaway is always filled. My Dad asked him if he connected water to all tenants and he said yes. My Dad advised him to disconnect all pipes to tenants apartment. Let all of them go down within the compound to fetch water.
That was how the problem was solved.
The tenants can no longer waste water because they saw how much effort they put it to carry 25-30 litres up to 3 storey building.

I still know many buildings that keep pumping water out of their soakaway because they connected water directly to all tenant's flats. These tenants feel that because they paid a certain amount as house rent, they have the right to waste water.
What do you mean by "pumping water Soakaway"? Do people pump water from Soakaway or borehole?
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by jmoore(m): 5:38pm On Jan 11
PawsitiveBro:
What do you mean by "pumping water Soakaway"? Do people pump water from Soakaway or borehole?
Your question dey confuse me. Read my post again.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by pocohantas(f): 5:54pm On Jan 11
jmoore:

You have confessed how Nigerian landlords 'suffer' to provide water that you called it basic.

He should charge water bill. A lot of modern houses in Lagos have service charge that covers water, repairs and general maintenance of the property.

He can also install a float switch that pumps the water automatically when it drops to a certain level. This style of tenants rushing out to pump water by 2am when NEPA restores power belongs to 1972. Some would forget to turn it off and end up irrigating a whole street.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by PawsitiveBro(m): 6:26pm On Jan 11
jmoore:

Your question dey confuse me. Read my post again.
You wrote this. That is where I am confused. "I still know many buildings that keep pumping water out of their soakaway because they connected water directly to all tenant's flats. These tenants feel that because they paid a certain amount as house rent, they have the right to waste water."
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by jmoore(m): 6:46pm On Jan 11
PawsitiveBro:
You wrote this. That is where I am confused. "I still know many buildings that keep pumping water out of their soakaway because they connected water directly to all tenant's flats. These tenants feel that because they paid a certain amount as house rent, they have the right to waste water."
The soakaway is filled with water because of water wastage.
So they pump that water out from the soakaway to the street.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by PawsitiveBro(m): 6:47pm On Jan 11
jmoore:

The soakaway is filled with water because of water wastage.
So they pump that water out from the soakaway to the street.
Ok
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Proserpina: 6:54pm On Jan 11
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Hamza1122: 1:02pm On Apr 07
It's fascinating shocked shocked shocked how different regions perceive and manage water usage. In some areas, there's a meticulous approach to conserve every drop, while in others, it's taken for granted. This discussion reminded me of the importance of responsible water management. Find about water & electricity bills at http://hescoebill.pk
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Hamza1122: 11:35am On Apr 14
Water waste in Nigerian households offers a glimpse into everyday life concerns. Similarly, Beach Buggy Racing prompts discussions on gaming experiences, strategy tips, and favorite tracks, from here http://thebeachbuggyapk.com you can check about beach buggy. The game creates a diverse online community engaging with varied interests.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Love Wasting Water? by Hamza1122: 11:42am On Apr 14
The discourse on water wastage in Nigerian households sheds light on a common issue. Similarly, when it comes to billing sites, users often share experiences and frustrations, whether it's about unexpected charges, confusing billing structures, or difficulties in accessing account information. You will find more on http://gepcoebill.pk about billing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo. Can Niaralanders Figure Out Which One Of These 3 women Is The Mom / HELP! Dad Died Intestate In Nigeria 10 Years Ago, Who Gets What Going By L Of A? / She Got To Know Her Husband Has Another Wife At His Father's Burial...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.