Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? (22287 Views)

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by africandollar: 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
Ask yourself why formula 1 cars are manual-transmission…there you have your answer! In a competition where the number one need is the need for speed manual transmission rules supreme!
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ultimateprof: 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
No, The major difference is take off, why do you think police and most transport drivers use manual, because you can get to your highest gear within a shorter distance than auto.

If a police man is driving an automatic and is chasing a thief using manual and they have to make so many turns from street to street, the police might never catch the thief, but if they enter a free expressway over a long distance without any stops then the possibility becomes higher for the police, because they will both exhaust their maximum gears.

Now this is where engine power will begin to really talk but most thieves prefer manual same with police....

Are you a thief? Just asking for a friend oh! 🤣

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by DaddyGngeess(m): 6:45pm On Oct 04, 2023
Are automatic cars use for car race?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by adanny01(m): 6:47pm On Oct 04, 2023
Incognito9:

Automatic transmission is often viewed as a driver aid, but in Formula 1, the emphasis is on the driver's skills. That's why manual transmission is preferred, allowing the driver to have complete control over every aspect of the race. Additionally, when it comes to drifting around corners, using manual transmission is generally considered easier compared to automatic transmission.

F1 uses semi automatic not manual.

Manual are only for enthusiast these days.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:48pm On Oct 04, 2023
My 3000 cc motorbike is faster, infact, if you want faster moving machine try a jet plane.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Fearlez: 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
ibinaboonline:
The debate has been ongoing for a long time now and this is my two cents on the matter.

A car's speed is not solely determined by whether it has a manual or automatic transmission. Both manual and automatic transmissions can offer similar performance in terms of speed.

However, the actual speed and acceleration depend on various factors such as the engine's power, torque, aerodynamics, and weight.

True, manual transmissions can provide a more direct connection between the driver and the engine, allowing for precise control and potentially faster acceleration if the driver is skilled at shifting gears efficiently.

On the other hand, modern automatic transmissions, especially those with advanced dual-clutch or continuously variable designs, can shift gears quickly and efficiently, potentially rivaling or surpassing the performance of manual transmissions.

Experienced drivers, what do you think?
manuals are still faster.

Automatic are electronically controlled and glitches happend. Their upshift and downshift times varies in different conditions.

Sometimes it won't kick down at the exact same instance or point.

A Manual car allows a driver to push to the very limit of the car. So manual will always be 1/10 of a second quicker both in acceleration and top speed.

If you have two cars , same model and same spec and one is manual and the other automatic, the manual will top it both on paper and real test by a skilled driver.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chccho(m): 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
How fast, speed or acceleration is not based on transmission.
A manual can be faster than automatic and vice versa. It depends on so many other factors.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Edusouls(m): 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:
Automatic transmission is s faster and better. I have driven both
small boy when u start to drive? Ur wrong
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chccho(m): 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
Fearlez:
manual are still faster.

Automatic are electronically contok and glitches happend. Their upshift and downshift times varies in different conditions.

Sometimes it won't kick down at the exact same point.

Manual car allows a driver to push to the very limit of the car. So manual I'll always be 1/10 of a second quicker both in acceleration and top speed.

If you have two cars , same model and same spec and one is manual and the other automatic, the manual will trip it both on paper and real test by a skilled driver.
I DISAGREE
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Sapaz02: 6:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
Nahhhhhhh!
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by laivwire(m): 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2023
Maybe back in the day with older cars but today, with all the tech available, a human driver is simply unable to keep up with the required dexterity for acceleration. It's been handed over to the computers now.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by AllenSpencer: 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2023
ovie8200:
All cars are fast and it all depends on the driver who is driving.

grin grin grin grin

False!
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2023
aylagos:
God will make it happen soon IJN
How? God will just give him the car for free? God is a Nissan or BMW manufacturer i guess. cheesy
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by AllenSpencer: 6:52pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:
Automatic transmission is s faster and better. I have driven both

Auto what? grin grin grin

Manual cars are more flexible and responsive, and that makes it faster!

Auto dictates, manual listens.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by easytig(m): 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2023
Forget race cars,I'm sure you haven't driven any race car like Ferrari and so on sef,normal naija luxury rides like lexus and Benz na automatic o,dem no born car manufacturer well to put manual inside lexus v6,yawa go gas.ordinary Prado sef dem no fit, manual time don pass.
airsaylongcome:

You have it twisted fam. Most of the luxurious race cars use manual transmission. Is that because of poverty?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chccho(m): 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2023
africandollar:
Ask yourself why formula 1 cars are manual-transmission…there you have your answer! In a competition where the number one need is the need for speed manual transmission rules supreme!
F1 cars no longer use manual transmission like before its now automated.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Edusouls(m): 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2023
Manual cars are much more efficient, more control, mor acceleration, lasts longer, more reliable, that’s why racing cars are mainly manual, manual na senior man car Abegi, automatic na car for beginners, women and the handicapped

2 Likes

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by kay29000(m): 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2023
Manual is faster. Do you ever see them driving automatic cars in fast and furious movies?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by DyingFetus: 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2023
Manual

Na people way no sabi cars go talk automatic

Ask any experienced hardcore car guys or mechanic , them go tell you manual

Most of the fastest cars and race cars are manual not automatic nonsense

Na wetin one musa day Try argue with me , we put am to bet and I race over am with my sweet Volvo and his Stoopid Benz

2 Likes

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:55pm On Oct 04, 2023
ultimateprof:

Are you a thief? Just asking for a friend oh! 🤣
maybe he is grin sometimes they don't know when they start conffessing on Nairaland.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by friday2011(m): 6:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
How biko nu
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by AllenSpencer: 6:58pm On Oct 04, 2023
DyingFetus:
Manual

Na people way no sabi cars go talk automatic

Ask any experienced hardcore car guys or mechanic , them go tell you manual

Most of the fastest cars and race cars are manual not automatic nonsense

Na wetin one musa day Try argue with me , we put am to bet and I race over am with my sweet Volvo and his Stoopid Benz

You know! Don't mind those kids mentioning automatic.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chccho(m): 6:58pm On Oct 04, 2023
Manual transmission only gives the driver a more exciting driving experience and more control in determining when and when to downshift or upshift gears.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by easytig(m): 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2023
I rebuke poverty for you amen, show me better lexus,Acura, even ordinary Toyota Camry,Highlander,Prado,rav 4, check the transmission to see if na manual dey there.abi you sabi work pass the manufacturer wey put automatic for there
Edusouls:
Manual cars are much more efficient, more control, mor acceleration, lasts longer, more reliable, that’s why racing cars are mainly manual, manual na senior man car Abegi, automatic na car for beginners, women and the handicapped
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by kavaki1514: 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
This one na for people wey get car
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Bioboy1213(m): 7:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
No, The major difference is take off, why do you think police and most transport drivers use manual, because you can get to your highest gear within a shorter distance than auto.

If a police man is driving an automatic and is chasing a thief using manual and they have to make so many turns from street to street, the police might never catch the thief, but if they enter a free expressway over a long distance without any stops then the possibility becomes higher for the police, because they will both exhaust their maximum gears.

Now this is where engine power will begin to really talk but most thieves prefer manual same with police....
you sabi, that response when you go back to count your gear from two, Auto is still behind gathering momentum.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Fearlez: 7:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
chccho:

I DISAGREE
I bet you don't even know how to drive a stick.

Go check 0-60 spec of all the cars with manual and automatic gears and see their time differences. I could help you with some real data sheet of same car different gears here if you're willing.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by LordReed(m): 7:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
ibinaboonline:
The debate has been ongoing for a long time now and this is my two cents on the matter.

A car's speed is not solely determined by whether it has a manual or automatic transmission. Both manual and automatic transmissions can offer similar performance in terms of speed.

However, the actual speed and acceleration depend on various factors such as the engine's power, torque, aerodynamics, and weight.

True, manual transmissions can provide a more direct connection between the driver and the engine, allowing for precise control and potentially faster acceleration if the driver is skilled at shifting gears efficiently.

On the other hand, modern automatic transmissions, especially those with advanced dual-clutch or continuously variable designs, can shift gears quickly and efficiently, potentially rivaling or surpassing the performance of manual transmissions.

Experienced drivers, what do you think?

AFAIK a part of the engine's power is diverted to help with gear switching in automatics which is why you get the slight advantage with manuals.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Liverpoolfc(m): 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
From what i watched in Fast and furious and formula 1, they cars they used are mainly manual. I don't know why they do so.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by eepeepook: 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
When you rest on the idea that Nairaland is settled into civilization, the forum takes a thousand steps back into the Stone Age.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by JOGICE(m): 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
Brendaniel:

…💯 ACCURATE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

These Are Top 5 Expensive Car Problems That Are Not Worth Fixing If They Go Bad / I've Had It With 4-cylinders. / Driver Sleeps In Vehicle For A Month To Catch Serial Car Scratcher. Can You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.