Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,988 members, 7,817,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? (22310 Views)

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Brendaniel: 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2023
tiswell:
in summary both are thieves.

grin it depends on the police involved....
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by deavicky(m): 9:22pm On Oct 04, 2023
raslim20:
I don't really know but what I know is that I love to be in charge
manual has faster take off than automatic. U can check ur gear to speed five in a few seconds but automatic won't allow that.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Brendaniel: 9:22pm On Oct 04, 2023
kosiebe:

You must be one of them, either thief or police, but i suspect thief

grin for inside Nigeria I no like the 2 grin
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by deavicky(m): 9:25pm On Oct 04, 2023
kosiebe:

You must be one of them, either thief or police, but i suspect thief
amount every thing to suspect is thief what happens to Engineering? Because that what I see.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Miracle2020: 9:30pm On Oct 04, 2023
You want go heaven? All of them can take you there.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by E2000: 9:50pm On Oct 04, 2023
Manual is faster depending on how u look at it. In manual you can control how you shift gears. So you can be in a bad road and still decide to go wild but with Auto you may have some difficulties. In manual you are more in control.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Teymanhenry(f): 9:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
Why do racers use manual cars when racing?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by MrDoGood(m): 10:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Fast and furious used manual cars for a reason wink
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Clasmanj(m): 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2023
Automatic
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chccho(m): 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2023
africandollar:

Bro, I just quoted Quora for you word for word. You have to manually change gears simple! Whether you use a clutch or use paddle shifters or even buttons you have to do the gear-shift yourself and not leave it to be controlled by a TCM/PCM. I might slightly agree even if you say they were semi-automatic 'cos that term to me doesn't even make sense with the process.

Stop shifting the post oga. This argument was btw Automatic Vs Manual transmission, all of a sudden we are now talking of semi automatic/paddle shifters how does this even compare?? The same paddle shifters are also Automatic transmissions so there u have it.
Well u won't know the difference because u are quoting quora grin grin
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Fearlez: 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2023
chccho:

Before them born u I have been driving cars
says the Nairaland's chief of perceptual disturbances
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by MasterJayJay: 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2023
Semaj77:

Virtually all racing cars are manual
Don't assume. Go and make your research on google. Formula 1 cars are semi-automatic.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ComputerOperato: 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:
Automatic transmission is s faster and better. I have driven both
I have owned both. My first 2 cars were manual.
The last two were auto.
And I can tell you for free that manual is faster.
Here's why:
1. You get to select the gear you want. I sometimes move from 3 to 5 in manual (skipped 4 entirely).
2. While overtaking, you can downshift and do your thing using your discretion.

Now auto can do all of the above but you see the lag (microseconds the auto takes to calculate and select the necessary gear) all adds up.

Now, those saying auto can outrace manual at high gear... I doubt they have driven manual vehicle on long journey before.

The thing with manual transmission is that the speed and efficiency depends on the driver.
With a good driver, manual will beat auto hands down.

5 Likes

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:24pm On Oct 04, 2023
Thank you.
Denzelwash:

Op, I totally agree with your take
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:25pm On Oct 04, 2023
Good point.
LordReed:

AFAIK a part of the engine's power is diverted to help with gear switching in automatics which is why you get the slight advantage with manuals.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:28pm On Oct 04, 2023
Keyword: "skilled driver". Even so, CVT is particularly effective at remedying the concerns you raised here. Don't you think?
Fearlez:
manual are still faster.

Automatic are electronically contok and glitches happend. Their upshift and downshift times varies in different conditions.

Sometimes it won't kick down at the exact same point.

Manual car allows a driver to push to the very limit of the car. So manual I'll always be 1/10 of a second quicker both in acceleration and top speed.

If you have two cars , same model and same spec and one is manual and the other automatic, the manual will trip it both on paper and real test by a skilled driver.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2023
Some 4-cylinders, especially turbocharged, deliver more power than 6-cylinders.
chiboycue:

I think it depends on the number of cylinder of the engine. A 6 cylinder engine would be faster than a 4 cylinder irrespective of whether they break is manually or automatically driven

I also think that automatical gear would accelerate faster than manual gear
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
Supercars mostly use manual because their customers are typically enthusiasts and gearheads who prefer the engaging driving experience provided by a manual gearbox.
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Never driven an automatic transmission car that performs efficiently when climbing a slope hill or navigating tight corners.

There is a reason why all Super Cars come with manual transmission.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ibinaboonline: 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2023
grin Then manual is your friend.
raslim20:
I don't really know but what I know is that I love to be in charge
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by NofiuFade(m): 10:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
Temidayo9:
No, but you are more in control of your speed and gear yourself when you drive manual transmission engine.
grin Na so!
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by godofuck231: 11:07pm On Oct 04, 2023
I dont know but try this with a 9G tronic gear box and testify, God himself will speak to you

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Trogge: 11:20pm On Oct 04, 2023
MasterJayJay:
Novice will say manual is faster.

There is a reason why ferrari is mostly automatic.
like if you have driven one
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by africandollar: 1:07am On Oct 05, 2023
[b][/b]
chccho:

Stop shifting the post oga. This argument was btw Automatic Vs Manual transmission, all of a sudden we are now talking of semi automatic/paddle shifters how does this even compare?? The same paddle shifters are also Automatic transmissions so there u have it.
Well u won't know the difference because u are quoting quora grin grin

So if paddle shifters are ‘automatic’ why do you need to select the gears manually (there’s that word again!) before it engages?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Cujo007: 2:23am On Oct 05, 2023
Manual gearing cars are faster than auto. Ask yourself, what type of gearing system do formula one drivers use?
Temidayo9:
No, but you are more in control of your speed and gear yourself when you drive manual transmission engine.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Mohisah: 2:48am On Oct 05, 2023
1Battery:
Manual cars are fast but do you have strength to change gears
my guy don gwt 7 packs for hand and leg because of gear🤣
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Nicepoker(m): 5:41am On Oct 05, 2023
Duke007:
As an engineer , and someone who has driven both , l did say manual transmission cars are faster in accelerating than their utomatic counter part. Why do you think that race cars has manual transmission. Just think on that.
Race cars make use of semi automatic transmission.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Nicepoker(m): 5:45am On Oct 05, 2023
Megaautos:
I disagree, you determine how faster you want to be driving a manual car because you are in charge of it(speed). There is no short cut to that in automatic. Recently, I was trying to overtake a truck and my automatic took all the time to switch gears, a manual car would have done it within a twinkle of an eye. That’s my take !
you don't really understand gear shifting in auto transmission.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by airexx: 5:54am On Oct 05, 2023
1Battery:
Manual cars are fast but do you have strength to change gears
what do you mean by strength? How much energy does it take to change gears? Nigerians and stereotyping.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Jjjustice(m): 6:27am On Oct 05, 2023
All cars are not fast o. Car pass car
ovie8200:
All cars are fast and it all depends on the driver who is driving.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Angrigowt: 6:53am On Oct 05, 2023
Manual can never do 0 to 150kph in 10 seconds..you go spoil gear for manual be that. Pls show me any ferrari that is manual
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:09am On Oct 05, 2023
aylagos:
God will make it happen soon IJN

Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Driver Sleeps In Vehicle For A Month To Catch Serial Car Scratcher. Can You? / Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / FG Approves National Vehicle Identification Database

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.