Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,471 members, 7,812,449 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? (29467 Views)

What Did You Study In School And What Are You Doing Presently? Let's Discuss. / Workplace Christmas Bonus: What Did Your Workplace Give Out As Christmas Bonus / Access Bank On Another Sacking Spree. Over 300 Staffs Laid Off. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Alexxx2000: 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
Intellectuals and the good people of nairaland. I just experienced one of the biggest shocks of my life.

As a student of the federal university, I saw a publication for the post of a front desk at a big cyber cafe close to the north wing of our school gate. I applied and followed the recruitment exercise which took 3 weeks of test and interview.

Out of 15 of us that applied for the job of 25k per month, I was picked. I loved it because it only start from 4pm till 9pm. Normally our lectures is from 7am till 1pm. I was happy because it will help me save for my school fees and I hoped to liaison with the students there to learn graphic designing. A skill I love but finance is a burden to enrol and to get a PC.

I was told to resume on Monday. I went there in the evening and the owner came and say my services are no longer needed. I was shocked. I asked him what I did? He didn't answer me. It was the other staff, the manager that told me he will communicate it to me. From Monday till now, I didn't hear from them.

Please, what should I do? I am confused. For those who had similar experience what was your cause. I am so so sad with this. My hope is dashed.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by jackmrandy: 1:11pm On Oct 04, 2023
You went there in the evening. At exactly what time. And also what was the resumption time stated to you.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Alexxx2000: 1:19pm On Oct 04, 2023
Sir, the resumption time was 4pm. I left my hostel at exact 3.00pm and I got to the cyber cafe at exactly 3.49pm. I even met students at the gate waiting to gain access to the facility.

jackmrandy:
You went there in the evening. At exactly what time. And also what was the resumption time stated to you.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by SoftP(m): 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
Some blessings comes as pains in disguise;
Don’t be weary’
Better luck nxt time

317 Likes 18 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by sukkot: 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
cheesy you got fired on your day off craig

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by GeneralPula: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
Somebody else must have used connection to secure it..

202 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Hoilgbegiri: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
You are helinues

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Steady259(m): 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
Must be the effect of village people

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by SultanOfPuna: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
God has something bigger in store for you..

That 25k you wait for Full 30 days to collect

Oloshos make that on a weekend night

So God no go want make you dey suffer

Every disappointment is a blessing in disguise

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by EmekaStanley: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
That's quite inconsiderate of him.

But what I think is that he felt he could have negotiated 20k or even lesser as the salary, especially with the way students are queuing for the job.

He felt 25k was 'a lot', reason he fired you even before you resumed.

Don't worry, you will get a better one

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by SALLYBERRY01(m): 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
Sorry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Atarakpa: 6:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
I will advise Nigerian youths never to apply for a job at integrated service. Coco warehouse in ladipo oyewole. Off oba akran Ikeja, directly opposite Guinness. That man can hire you now and fire you in the next one hour. If you manage to stay for at least 3 month I promise you that man will give you BP.

71 Likes 15 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by deedo93(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by BigBashiru: 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Alexxx2000:
Intellectuals and the good people of nairaland. I just experienced one of the biggest shocks of my life.

As a student of the federal university, I saw a publication for the post of a front desk at a big cyber cafe close to the north wing of our school gate. I applied and followed the recruitment exercise which took 3 weeks of test and interview.

Out of 15 of us that applied for the job of 25k per month, I was picked. I loved it because it only start from 4pm till 9pm. Normally our lectures is from 7am till 1pm. I was happy because it will help me save for my school fees and I hoped to liaison with the students there to learn graphic designing. A skill I love but finance is a burden to enrol and to get a PC.

I was told to resume on Monday. I went there in the evening and the owner came and say my services are no longer needed. I was shocked. I asked him what I did? He didn't answer me. It was the other staff, the manager that told me he will communicate it to me. From Monday till now, I didn't hear from them.

Please, what should I do? I am confused. For those who had similar experience what was your cause. I am so so sad with this. My hope is dashed.

Maybe he changed his mind and decided to do the job himself....has nothing to do with you....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by omoadeleye(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
Argh
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by oluwaseunamos33(m): 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
Chai! Your village pple no gree release you be that oooo. Come let me give you anointing oil for deliverance

3 Likes

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by APOPTOSIS: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
Hmmm....
Did you make any unhealthy gossip at your new place..?
What about your general hygienic state?

I once fired someone who always went to the toilet and left his untidiness visible to everyone despite having a good and efficient lavatory in place.

4 Likes

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by sonssyo: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
Alexxx2000:

Maybe it's expected that you resume in the morning for further instructions and subsequently be resuming in the evening.
Or he made a mistake by telling you to resume in the evening which is not a good idea either
Don't worry, you will get another job soonest

6 Likes

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by STEWpid(f): 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
Chai..
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by RiyadhGoddess(f): 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
Oh my God!
Pele, remember, life is filled with twists. I believe you were initially chosen because of your potential, and I want you to know that your worth is not defined by your setback. So please keep your chin up and stay resilient. Every challenge brings growth. Embrace it. Reach out to your friends, family, or mentors for support. Just know that your journey is not over yet; it is just a detour. Be rest assured that new opportunities will come your way. Learn from this experience, and let it make you stronger. Sir, you've got the strength to bounce back. The right job, the right place, and the right time will align. Believe in God, believe in yourself, better days are ahead of you sir. It is well!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Mendy101: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
Alexxx2000:

forget him, in fact to hell with him, I know it may sound like a dream come true but don’t let your hopes be dashed because of 25k, in months and years to come you will be way way above that

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by geoworldedu: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
People change their minds. Sometimes it could be because of high cost of running the organisation therefore they need to prune down the number of employees. Nowadays things can become twice costlier overnight, so they need to take drastic measures to stay afloat. Sorry ehn, you will get another one hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by BannedUser: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
Your experience is not unusual for a 25k job

1 Like

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by YourGFsnatcher: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
Bigger things coming your way

1 Like

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by KaptainAfrika: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
You don't have nature's specially created parking space for prick.

2 Likes

Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Chibuzoripob: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
sad
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by ZaddyJ: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2023
angry
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by inoki247: 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
Stay strong....

Shiits happens....
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Chibuzoripob: 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
sad sad
Re: What Did I Do Wrong, That I Was Hired And Laid-off Same Day? by Dpaulie(m): 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
So sorry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civil Servants, Military To Experience Delay In May Salaries / 17 Simple Habits That Make You Look More Professional / Nigerian Man Without Legs Works As Driver (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.