Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,524 members, 7,816,281 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

What To Wear To An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Wear To An Interview (9017 Views)

6 Things You Should Never Wear To An Interview / Is It Good For A Lady To Wear Trouser To An Interview? / He Missed An Interview Because……. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Wear To An Interview by ebose09: 12:09am On Oct 22, 2011
embarassed,have been invited for an interviewb and am confused on what to wear,some one pls tell me is it conpusory to wear suit for an interview?I feel a shirt(short or long sleeves)shd go on a skirt or trouses,if am wrong pls correct me
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Plutarch: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2011
Just try to appear formal. U r better wiv a suit if u hv one(trouser or skirt). Try look beautiful n smart. Appearance in mostly graded upon 5 or 10 marks but its overall effect is more than those marks 'cos d first impression starts with appearance. Goodluck.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by omoadara(m): 8:58am On Oct 22, 2011
You know dressing is personal, but from my own view, you could wear a long sleeve shirt on a pant trouser in order to make you more smart. Also try to go for a bit of the company's colour in selecting your shirt
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by room702(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2011
for a job interview a suit is a most. you need to wear a suit
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by dinah777: 11:45am On Oct 24, 2011
Dress corporately and moderately.Dont be under dressed or over dressed.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by azeezengr(m): 11:52am On Oct 24, 2011
Smart Ankara will stand u out, try it only if you are BOLD and BEAUTIFUL otherwise go and get a NICE SUIT to hide your inadequacies!EOD
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Odunnu: 11:54am On Oct 24, 2011
ebose09:

embarassed,have been invited for an interviewb and am confused on what to wear,some one pls tell me is it conpusory to wear suit for an interview?I feel a shirt(short or long sleeves)shd go on a skirt or trouses,if am wrong pls correct me
You are not wrong. A suit isnt compulsory.  Just look smart
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by favouredjb(f): 12:00pm On Oct 24, 2011
azeezengr:

Smart Ankara will stand u out, try it only if you are BOLD and BEAUTIFUL otherwise go and get a NICE SUIT to hide your inadequacies!EOD

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin rotfl
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Slyr0x: 12:03pm On Oct 24, 2011
ebose09:

I once went for an interview and the interviewer was like iShld have made research on the way they dress before coming for the interview (I had a pant + long sleeve on).

Try to find out what the organization's dress code is. .If they've got NONE, then appear smart.

1 Like

Re: What To Wear To An Interview by begwong: 12:16pm On Oct 24, 2011
Why not try a swim suit or a bikini!
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by CBTonline(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2011
VACANCY!!!

Our client, a growing and highly structured Foods and Beverages Company with office located in Surulere and factory at Ogudu requires the services of a resourceful, energetic and exceptional personnel (2 ladies) to take up the position of Marketing Executives.

Key Accountabilities
•   Should be able to develop sales pipeline and key accounts for the company’s beverage products
•   Deliver on set targets – weekly/monthly
•   Craft and execute business plans and strategic alliances that will move the business forward

Qualification
•   OND in Marketing, Business Education, or other relevant field of study
•   Good communication skill

Experience
Minimum of 3months post graduation experience will be an added advantage, though; training will be conducted to sharpen the skills of shortlisted applicants.

Desired attributes for above position
•   Integrity           Passion            Target Driven      Good Leadership Trait
•   Creativity          Go-getter       Computer Literate    Accountability

Interested candidate should forward her application, CV and other necessaries to info.kitemark@gmail.com.
Application terminates on the 31st of October, 2011.

ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by blank(f): 12:34pm On Oct 24, 2011
For banks, audit firms, other such professional companies, a suit is very very compulsory. They won't even interview you if you do not have a suit on.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Toonice(m): 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2011
Buba and Sokoto is okay now
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by onmyown(m): 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2011
i think someone has said it all earlier. try and know the culture of the organisation and dress to suit what is prevalent. be carefull also to agree with the culture you are going into so it doesnt become a culture shock when you eventually get the job. apart from the formal interviews i also like to throw in an informal one by a pool side or something as its a way of getting to know the interviewee in a relaxed atmosphere. things you didnt know always crop up. i say that to also encourage you to find out the whole interview, selection and hiring process so you are prepared for every step. im assuming it will be done according to best practices.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by k00lxpert(m): 1:11pm On Oct 24, 2011
wear buba & soro na, lol. ok seriously nw, wear a well ironed plain colour long-sleeve with gud tie & black trouser & well polished shoes with colours marching ur belt colour as well, make sure u shave, wish u successful interview
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Faboo5050: 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2011
What you should wear depends on the organisation conducting the interview. First and foremost, you must be corporate and wear something that will suit the occasion.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by 25omega(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2011
poster

a suit will show professionalisim on your part it will make you stand out as someone who is serious and ready for work. If you dont have a suit and you want to do the pants and long sleeve thing make sure you add a tie.

when you go to an interview you are being judged on what you look like before you even open your mouth so try and get a suit wear deodorant and take breath mints with you.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by cogbuagu: 2:00pm On Oct 24, 2011
Guy,
it depends on your job search.
for example,

but if na Engineering job interview,
make u no wear suit oooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to den it will be like if u will not be serious with ur job when employed,
when engineering involves field or in machine work,

just simply dress co-operate by wearing long sleeve shirt, and plane trousers. no for any reason wear short sleeve shirt.

if na banking job,marketing job, accounting jobs ,
Na most to wear suit for the interview, and u have to look nice, like have good hair cut, in fact any other job apart from engineering job try wear suit,
i work in engineering company, any day u come to work wearing suit,
it u will look like u didn't come to work or u not feeling fine that day, and many people will be asking u y.

Good luck shaa

before your interview in there try to be social to any body u see in that company as if u easily roll with people easily.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by mikelwins(m): 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2011
Just try and be your normal self. Dressing code is very important, but what matters most is the way you present yourself and that is how you are going to be interviewed. I can wear agbada for interview and make the interviewer see reason with me by the way I present myself and off course be smart.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by highland(m): 2:43pm On Oct 24, 2011
corporate dress is advisable.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Gfavour(f): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2011
I think it is normal and compulsory to be formal when apply for a job in an organisation that is not fully owned by ones parents or relatives. The reason being that you are accessed by appearance at the first contact. No matter how brilliant or resourceful you might to the company. That is why I'm just pretty comfortable with my kind of job. I could be on pajamas, boxers or half naked and my job is not disturbed. You know what I mean? Self employment! I only spend an average of 2 hours or less per day online and make guaranteed amount of not less than =N=135,000 per month. Cool cash even without an office. Sorry; I have an office. It is just my pc with a broadband internet connectivity.

This tales might appear like falsehood to an average Nigerian who toils for 30 days a month with a salary of less than =N=30,000 that may not even be paid until the mid of the following month, but it is real. You only need to look inward as to your strength and passion and tap into the possibility of International telecommunications program.

Do you want to know my kind of job? , Become a reseller @ www.talktoomuch.net and you'll get the bigger picture of this "falsehood"

You could get yourself enriched with the cost of suit you are struggling to buy so that you can join thousands of Nigerian youths vie for just limited job openings.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Slyr0x: 4:06pm On Oct 24, 2011
25omega:

poster

when you go to an interview you are being judged on what you look like before you even open your mouth so try and get a suit wear deodorant and take breath mints with you.

You wan go kiss the interviewer ni? cheesy
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by cynthiafred67(f): 4:47pm On Oct 24, 2011
Faboo5050:

What you should wear depends on the organisation conducting the interview. First and foremost, you must be corporate and wear something that will suit the occasion.

^^^ u are on point @op just look smart and responsible
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by 25omega(m): 6:23pm On Oct 24, 2011
Slyr0x:

You wan go kiss the interviewer ni? cheesy
i know you are joking but seriously when people get nervous their mouth goes dry and your dry mouth will have that stale spit smell so take breath mints and like it right before you meet the interviewer.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Roland17(m): 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2011
Dressing corporately or formally is certainly not enough, many Nigerian Graduates don't have professional etiquette, poor form of expression is also at a dismal level.

Many are fond of wearing either over sized or under sized suits, ladies on the other hand commit make up blunders, all this factors come into play as part of your dressing whenever an interviewer takes a first look at you.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by manny4life(m): 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2011
Wear a clean suit (preferably plain black, no stripe) with pressed tie, polished shoes, clean haircut, clean shave, clean fingernails, etc. What you wear represents about 30% of your point; however, the major maker or breaker is how you present yourself. Make SURE you arrive at least 15mins before your interview, come with recent copies of your resume, cover letter, other attached documents (transcripts, reference letters, skill portfolios, etc).
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by AmakaG29(f): 10:48pm On Oct 24, 2011
In some cases, wear clothes that you would likely be wearing to perform the job.
The fit, cut, and modern style will be important especially in customer service jobs. You need to look appealing and approachable.
Be more formal than less formal, but you should be comfortable in what you have on. Comfort will translate into your performance.
Dress formal, comfortable, be mindful of accessories

http://youlookfab.com/2010/04/29/what-to-wear-to-a-job-interview/

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-interview/interview-appearance/what-to-wear-for-job-interviews/article.aspx

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewattire/a/interviewnot.htm

WARNING: Failure to exhibit good hygiene will negate all efforts to dress well. Brush teeth, comb hair, smell good but not too strong, clean and smooth hands and finger nails, conservative hairstyle, etc
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by naijadot: 2:19am On Oct 25, 2011
Looking formal is the answer.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by LagBlogger(m): 3:52am On Oct 25, 2011
What to wear to an interview?

1. For men:

Plain trousers preferably black or grey with white, light blue or checkered light colored long sleeve shirt with tie to match (optional). A good black, grey or light brown suit may also do

2. Women:

Trouser or skirt suits are okay. But also okay is plain dark or grey skirt with matching shirt. Of course designer outfits are not advisable.

There is no need for expensive perfumes, simple deodorant is okay. Hairstyle anything that is presentable but isn't flashy e.g simple weave on, braids or well packed and kept natural hair is okay.

The main thing is to stay presentable but not too flashy.
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by Joyce234: 12:40pm On Oct 25, 2011
The days of wearing suits to interviews are long past. These days, a lot of organisations dress "smart casual". In my opinion, you can wear a smart shirt with a skirt or a pair of trousers and a blazer. you strike the balance of look chic and corporate without looking sloppy or stuff like a Union Bank worker grin tongue
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by lawak: 2:00pm On Oct 25, 2011
@ post: I advice you research about the organization and know their policy on dressing. Researching your employer ahead is always a good option and

@ allofus: I get knocked off each time a post appears and a lot of ignorant ideas start pouring in. pls note that it's not a MUST to comment on all posts as the posters most of the time genuinely need 'real help"
Re: What To Wear To An Interview by temisafety: 7:13pm On Oct 25, 2011
Wear suit man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent- Mobil Contract Staff! / Nigeria Television Authority Interview Question / Exxon Mobil Test Format For Graduate Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.