Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? (6355 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is 59 Years Old Today / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is An Untruthful Finance Minister? / Chief Femi Fani-Kayode Thinks Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is "The Problem" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 7:19am On Oct 22, 2011
I need to ask this question because this subsidy removal plan of hers is going to affect Nigerians negatively.

I have begun to count the cost of such a move to my business, which will definitely go up at a time when I am already hard pressed passing on the same to consumers.

I am considering moving to Benin Republic as a result. Personally, I have witnessed the effect of the policies of these World bank economists starting from 1986. I saw what the introduction of SAP by Chu Okongwu and Kalu Idika Kalu did to the standard of living of my family as a boy. Now I am having to face similar choices as a man and frankly, I need to give my kids better option.

I have a very deep and concentrated hatred for these world bank economists, and when I see Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala talking on TV about this their "growth of the Nigerian economy" at a time when I see all the poverty around, my blood just boils uncontrollably.

Personally, I will like to see her and the haters of the Nigerian populace who have done nothing but stolen this country blind, dragged on the streets like Muammer Gadhafi.

Some will argue that she got Nigeria's debt profile reduced, but I think Nigerians were not told the true story of the cost of that process. I have never known the Paris or London Club of creditors to be that magnanimous when dealing with third world countries.

IN CAPITALISM, NOTHING GOES FOR NOTHING. France and Italy were promised a large chunk of Libya's oil rights, which is why they led the NATO bombardment to take down Gadhafi.

Why should Nigerians pay so much money for something produced from the riches under their feet? If indeed there is subsidy, why does she want the responsibility of feeding this oil cabal transferred to the Nigerian people, when refineries could have been built with the kind of money I know that many people are carting away in Abuja on a daily basis? (I know this for a fact because I live in the FCT and I know some of these people on a one-one basis)

Nigerians, we need to wake up! An unemployed graduate set himself ablaze for Tunisia, Egypt and Libya to be free. When do we wake up from our self-induced stupor?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Pukkah: 9:24am On Oct 22, 2011
You're right. There is absolutely no reason why our refineries should not be working. There is no justification for fuel importation. It's on this note and some other reasons (e.g.the corruption in NNPC) that I think the removal of fuel subsidy is pure nonsense.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by kg(f): 12:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
How can you solve a problem you do not truly understand? To me the world bank agenda is her agenda, she's been with them since she was young, Nigeria comes second and as far as I'm concerned Oyibos have nothing to offer the black man.

Not sure I really want to go deeper,
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by ochukoccna: 1:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
stagger:

I need to ask this question because this subsidy removal plan of hers is going to affect Nigerians negatively.

Personally, I have witnessed the effect of the policies of these World bank economists starting from 1986. I saw what the introduction of SAP by Chu Okongwu and Kalu Idika Kalu did to the standard of living of my family as a boy. Now I am having to face similar choices as a man and frankly, I need to give my kids better option.
I have a very deep and concentrated hatred for these world bank economists, and when I see Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala talking on TV about this their "growth of the Nigerian economy" at a time when I see all the poverty around, my blood just boils uncontrollably.
Personally, I will like to see her and the haters of the Nigerian populace who have done nothing but stolen this country blind, dragged on the streets like Muammer Gadhafi.
Some will argue that she got Nigeria's debt profile reduced, but I think Nigerians were not told the true story of the cost of that process. I have never known the Paris or London Club of creditors to be that magnanimous when dealing with third world countries.
IN CAPITALISM, NOTHING GOES FOR NOTHING. France and Italy were promised a large chunk of Libya's oil rights, which is why they led the NATO bombardment to take down Gadhafi.

Seeing you know all this, you have the answer to your question about NOI's -Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala- messianic powers.

stagger:

I am considering moving to Benin Republic as a result.
Benin?
Is that a good move businesswise undecided undecided undecided undecided
That apart, you speak French or any of their local dialect
[s]I'm assuming you bleed 9ja except you are from Benin republic originally.[/s]
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 4:18pm On Oct 22, 2011
ochukoccna:

Benin?
Is that a good move businesswise undecided undecided undecided undecided
That apart, you speak French or any of their local dialect
[s]I'm assuming you bleed 9ja except you are from Benin republic originally.[/s]

I am a manufacturer with a global market. I am not a trader who does buying and selling. I cannot pay exorbitant amounts to keep generating power for my business, when I can go to a country where there is power 100%, cost of labour is cheaper and I can still maintain my global reach. Besides, I know some French and i can step it up to fluency levels in 3 months.

What is the continued justification to do business in Nigeria with the way these world bank apologists are running the country?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by trw: 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
Nigeria is a land flowing with milk and honey
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by ochukoccna: 7:43pm On Oct 22, 2011
trw:

Dr. Iweala's policies are geared towards rescuing the Nigeria economy. She is not interested in inflicting pain on Nigeria as alleged by this writer. Lets give her a chance.
Really?
Mention 1 economy that the IMF/World Cup magic wand has rescued?
While you are still at it, visit Greece to find out about the IMF induced turmoil there.
Simple common sense would tell you to get the refineries working before removing any spurious oil subsidies in a country lacking economic safety nets but then common sense is not common.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Rgp92: 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
Typical negro, waiting for "messiah"
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Sunofgod(m): 7:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
She's a 'World Bank' Puppet.

Both her and GEJ are charged with heaping misery on Nigerians.

The are enslaving the nation by accumulating huge debts and putting in place mechanism's to make Nigerians pay.

Nigerians are being enslaved - and they dont yet realise it.

Okonjo-iweala is doing the work of the devil white man.

GEJ - the dullard with a PHD in Zoology is just going with the flow!!!

Look at Greece - that was the work of the IMF/World Bank,

Nigeria is finished . . . . .

[img]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/news_images/20110924/p02b.jpg[/img]

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
I personally like Ngozi as I think she is the right person for the job, however, I disagree with her on removal of fuel subsidy. I think she is an honest politician that means well for Nigeria but she needs to better understand the context of Nigeria. Whatever money the government will realise from the removal of subsidies will not benefit the common man because of corruption. It will only increase the wallets of abuja politicians. I honestly do not see her surviving four years as she will likely resign.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by sheyguy: 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2011
I couldn't agree kess with ur views(topic & comments). We r being enslaved in this country. We have thousands of youth(cheap labour) will to work hard. but we dont have leaders at all level and there seems to be no hope in sight.
Its just so fustrating. In all we should not forget that GEJ AND IWEALA r no island working alone, the enemy system is much more bigger.
Benin is not a bad idea if u consider their cheap labour and relatively stable economy.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Sunofgod(m): 8:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
Op

If you know whats good for you and your family - relocate your business.

Benin, Ghana, Togo are all better than Nigeria.

Heavy taxation is coming including corporation and employee income tax, - look at the recent reports and you can see whats they have in store.

Even the messed up federal roads they want to start taxing for the priviledge of using them!!!

This is ten times worse than what IBB and SAP did to Nigeria.

The removal of fuel subsidy is an indirect tax on all Nigerians.

Your costs of production WILL rise including costs of raw materials and costs of labour as your employees will demand more pay to meet their increased costs.

You and many other business men are about to enter a vicious circle.

The removal of the subsidy will lead to an increase in the price of your products - which may make your business uncompetitve and possibly no longer viable.

I have family and friends in Nigeria that are unemployed - but the truth of the matter is that your a capitalists and your in the game to make money.

Hence, yu need to bounce.

Ps: Your chums in FCT that are stealing need to be named publically - its characters like those that deserve to be kidnapped or even their immediate family kidnapped for ransom.

Afterall, they are responsible for the 'kidnapping phenomena' we now see in Nigeria.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by deadie(m): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2011
stagger:

I have begun to count the cost of such a move to my business, which will definitely go up at a time when I am already hard pressed passing on the same to consumers.

I am considering moving to Benin Republic as a result. Personally, I have witnessed the effect of the policies of these World bank economists starting from 1986. I saw what the introduction of SAP by Chu Okongwu and Kalu Idika Kalu did to the standard of living of my family as a boy. Now I am having to face similar choices as a man and frankly, I need to give my kids better option.

Why should Nigerians pay so much money for something produced from the riches under their feet? If indeed there is subsidy, why does she want the responsibility of feeding this oil cabal transferred to the Nigerian people, when refineries could have been built with the kind of money I know that many people are carting away in Abuja on a daily basis? (I know this for a fact because I live in the FCT and I know some of these people on a one-one basis)

Nigerians, we need to wake up! An unemployed graduate set himself ablaze for Tunisia, Egypt and Libya to be free. When do we wake up from our self-induced stupor?

That will be when YOU set yourself on fire. What are you waiting for, is there no petrol where you live?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2011
trw:

Dr. Iweala's policies are geared towards rescuing the Nigeria economy. She is not interested in inflicting pain on Nigeria as alleged by this writer. Lets give her a chance.

This economy you are talking of: who is it? Who constitutes this faceless individual or entity called the economy? Is it an abstract entity, or is it human beings?

Why do we allow these people continually hoodwink us?

Subsidy removal means that the government stops paying these excess funds to the cabal; the whole bulk is pushed to the Nigerian people.  

The cabal still exists. They continue getting the money, albeit from a different source.

The only way forward is to abolish the cabal by repairing our refineries and building new ones SO THAT IMPORTATION OF ALL PETROLEuM PRODUCTS IS PUT TO AN END.

And no one should sell me the gimmick of Nigeria not having money to pay for this. Those who live in FCT and who are close to the situation know that the amount of money which goes into people's pockets in all manner of deals made in places like AGIS, (not to talk of other govt parastatals) can build 100 refineries in 2 years.

See what is unfolding in Greece. Once you become a slave to the World bank, you are finished as a country.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by adminlo: 8:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
I do think in principle the subsidy should be removed because it leads to cross border smuggling to benin etc to the detriment of nigerans  but knowing that the subsidy like PTF will not reach the common man due to corruption. Besides we have our surplus ac count and foreign reserves to take care of what the intended  benefits of the subsidy removal . And one last thing is that nigeria deserves the right and i think also an obligation of the govt. to provide ours with cheap fuel as it is our natural resources as enjoyed by citizens of saudi, iran, venezuela, norway, etc.
   So in a nutshell, NO removal of subsidy. I hope the govt is listening as i think it is time our leaders go the way of ghadafii, samuel doe and the likes because of gross insensitivity to the masses . Where is our Jerry Rawlings ?

By the way, stagger, what do u manufacture? 

I am a manufacturer with a global market. I am not a trader who does buying and selling. I cannot pay exorbitant amounts to keep generating power for my business, when I can go to a country where there is power 100%, cost of labour is cheaper and I can still maintain my global reach. Besides, I know some French and i can step it up to fluency levels in 3 months.

What is the continued justification to do business in Nigeria with the way these world bank apologists are running the country
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by RickyRoss1(m): 8:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
stagger:

Well I suspect you are part of dem group that has been bleeding Nigeria dry. I suspect you are benefiting from that fuel subsidy money thats why you sound very bitter and angry? Truth is, the subsidy money doesn't benefit Nigerians and I support it to be removed 100%. Let them use the money to fix our roads, refineries and build new ones.

As for you relocating to Benin, what are you waiting for? Why not even run to Pluto, does it matter? As far as I know, there are many Nigerians who took that step before you and relocated all their business overseas but today most of them are regretting it. If you are honest with yourself, you will agree with me no matter the electricity wahala here in Nigeria, you cant make much profit from any other African country like you will make in Nigeria. I have presence in so many African countries so I know what am talking about. Only the abuse and prejudice you will receive overseas just for being a Nigerian will make you wanna return home. There is no place like home my dear, I know Nigeria is not as good as I want it to be, but instead of joining lazy fools to bring GEJ down, I try my best to contribute my quota to this country. If you are complaining about light or petrol price, you need to ask people in Liberia and Sierra Leone how far and yet their citizens are not running away to set up business outside.

Even if you bring JESUS CHRIST to run this country you guys will still complain. Why are we always blaming the presidents, what about us the common man on the street, the taxi drivers, the market women, ARE WE HONEST? I was in Ogun state few weeks ago for a short visit, i hired a taxi to take me round for 3 hours, you know how much he charged me? 10,000 naira for less than 3 hours on a 30 year old taxi that doesn't have ac, yet petrol is available and cheap 65 naira per gallon. The story is the same when you go to the market to buy things. We all are to be blamed for this mess in Nigeria, so quit blaming Okonjo Iweala and GEJ coz they mean well for this country.

You gave instance of an unemployed graduate who set himself ablaze in Tunisia, what are you waiting for, why not start the Nigerian experiment, set yourself ablaze so others can follow you or are you too scared to die?

All in all, if we keep running away from our country then tell me who is gonna develop our country for us and employ our youths?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sun of god:

Op

If you know whats good for you and your family - relocate your business.

Benin, Ghana, Togo are all better than Nigeria.

Heavy taxation is coming including corporation and employee income tax, - look at the recent reports and you can see whats they have in store.

Even the messed up federal roads they want to start taxing for the priviledge of using them!!!

This is ten times worse than what IBB and SAP did to Nigeria.

The removal of fuel subsidy is an indirect tax on all Nigerians.

Your costs of production WILL rise including costs of raw materials and costs of labour as your employees will demand more pay to meet their increased costs.

You and many other business men are about to enter a vicious circle.

The removal of the subsidy will lead to an increase in the price of your products - which may make your business uncompetitve and possibly no longer viable.

I have family and friends in Nigeria that are unemployed - but the truth of the matter is that your a capitalists and your in the game to make money.

Hence, yu need to bounce.

Ps: Your chums in FCT that are stealing need to be named publically - its characters like those that deserve to be kidnapped or even their immediate family kidnapped for ransom.

Afterall, they are responsible for the 'kidnapping phenomena' we now see in Nigeria.

I recently lost a $150,000 per year, 5 year contract to a Ghanaian company. This is because they were able to offer a more competitive price to the US firm that was sub-contracting part of its Asian operations to an African firm. All because the Ghanaians do not have to generate electricity; they have it there all the time, while I pay through the nose to power my production capacity in my own country where crude oil is located in my own village.

Now I put on my TV and I see Okonjo-Iweala and her people pushing a policy that will make me lose more money because I will pay more to generate power. Anyway, I will just have to make the move. The only people I am more sorry for are my workers. Many of them are the sole bread-winners of their families and if I move, that is more Nigerians facing harsher economic situations, while the World bank apologists and their sympathizers are talking about "the economy growing at 6% year on year".

Unbelievable!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by Theblessed(f): 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2011
[size=16pt]But, why don't you first set yourself ablaze so that the younger ones would follow your example instead of coming here, to rally and deceive unintelligent and weak minds in your struggle to right the wrong of our Country.  

Or you don't want to do it until you see your kids grow up and through school,huh!! undecided undecided

Go on, do it if your life is that sad! sad sad sad  It is called self-sacrifices or Martyrdom!

Go do it for your Country, that way we know you love Nigeria too much instead of coming to urge poor souls to commit suicide for you, whilst you live! cool cool

How fair, you are?

[/size]
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by LagBlogger(m): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
Your concerns may be reasonable but the way you go about them is very wrong. Check these out

stagger:

Watch your tongue Mr man. You are sounding barbaric with this kind of thoughtless talk.

stagger:

When do we wake up from our self induced stupor? I guess when you take the lead here in Nigeria.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 9:15pm On Oct 22, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

Well I suspect you are part of dem group that has been bleeding Nigeria dry. I suspect you are benefiting from that fuel subsidy money thats why you sound very bitter and angry? Truth is, the subsidy money doesn't benefit Nigerians and I support it to be removed 100%. Let them use the money to fix our roads, refineries and build new ones.

As for you relocating to Benin, what are you waiting for? Why not even run to Pluto, does it matter? As far as I know, there are many Nigerians who took that step before you and relocated all their business overseas but today most of them are regretting it. If you are honest with yourself, you will agree with me no matter the electricity wahala here in Nigeria, you cant make much profit from any other African country like you will make in Nigeria. I have presence in so many African countries so I know what am talking about. Only the abuse and prejudice you will receive overseas just for being a Nigerian will make you wanna return home. There is no place like home my dear, I know Nigeria is not as good as I want it to be, but instead of joining lazy fools to bring GEJ down, I try my best to contribute my quota to this country. If you are complaining about light or petrol price, you need to ask people in Liberia and Sierra Leone how far and yet their citizens are not running away to set up business outside.

Even if you bring JESUS CHRIST to run this country you guys will still complain. Why are we always blaming the presidents, what about us the common man on the street, the taxi drivers, the market women, ARE WE HONEST? I was in Ogun state few weeks ago for a short visit, i hired a taxi to take me round for 3 hours, you know how much he charged me? 10,000 naira for less than 3 hours on a 30 year old taxi that doesn't have ac, yet petrol is available and cheap 65 naira per gallon. The story is the same when you go to the market to buy things. We all are to be blamed for this mess in Nigeria, so quit blaming Okonjo Iweala and GEJ coz they mean well for this country.

You gave instance of an unemployed graduate who set himself ablaze in Tunisia, what are you waiting for, why not start the Nigerian experiment, set yourself ablaze so others can follow you or are you too scared to die?

All in all, if we keep running away from our country then tell me who is gonna develop our country for us and employ our youths?

Let me break it down for you so that ignorant people like you will be better informed.

Fuel is imported, possibly at N140 per litre. This figure includes cost of product, insurance, landing costs, etc.
The government pays for the shortfall: SUBSIDY.
Money paid to the cabal that controls importation of petroleum products.

Okonjo-Iweala's Position

Fuel is imported, possibly at N140 per litre.
SUBSIDY REMOVAL. Fuel price will now be increased from N65 to more than N140 per litre, so as to recover the cost of importing fuel and pay the same cabal that imports petroleum products.
MONEY STILL PAID TO THE CABAL THAT CONTROLS IMPORTATION OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS.

Look at the two scenarios above. What has changed? Has the cabal that controls importation of petroleum products stopped making the money they make from their business?

WHAT WE ARE PROPOSING
Government recovers all the 90% UNRECOVERED Abacha loot, plus the excess crude account, and stops all the kickbacks and inflated contracts given to cronies of the government that drain billions of Naira from the country, PLUS all the illegal oil deals done in the petroleum ministry, plus get the armed forces to stop all illegal bunkering, plus ensure that the oil companies declare how many barrels of crude oil they take away from Nigeria, including all the ones unaccounted for, etc, etc, etc (i CAN GO ON FROM NOW TILL 2020 TO TALK ABOUT ALL THE WAYS MONEY IS DRAINED FROM NIGERIAN COFFERS).

Take all this money, and build at least one refinery per state. Very feasible, very possible.

What does this do?

Boosts local supply of petroleum products; indeed, floods the market and creates a near glut of petroleum products. Prices will fall, and Nigerians will enjoy the riches under their feet.

Importation of petroleum products as a business dies a natural death. The oil importation cabal dies a natural death, as it will be more lucrative to refine and sell locally.

This is what Okonjo -Iweala should be pushing for, not a painful so-called solution that will lead to untold suffering on millions of Nigerians.

Rick-Ross, you have never done oil business at any level, so you know next to nothing about the dynamics of petroleum subsidy.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by mekaboy(m): 9:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
THE PROBLEM IS THAT NIGERIANS DONT DO FIRST THINGS FIRST. THEY REMOVE THE SUBSIDY , WHILE THE ROADS ARE BAD, SO THE PEOPLE DONT ONLY SPEND ALOT OF FUEL THEY ALSO SPEND ALOT TO REPAIR THEIR CARS.

HOW CAN THEY REMOVE SUBSIDY AND THE UNIVERSITIES INCREASING SCHOOL FEES? SO PEOPLE WILL PAY TWICE TO TRANSPORT TO SCHOOL AND PAY HEAVY FEES .

WHEN THE UNEMPLOYED ARE ALREADY PICKING UP ARMS TO ROB BANKS, WHEN THEY PRICE OF FOOD INCREASES , WHAT WILL THEN HAPPEN ?

FIRST THINGS FIRST.

1, FIX THE POWER PROBLEM

2,FIX THE ROADS

3, INVEST IN AGRICULTURE TO ENSURE THAT FOOD BECOMES CHEAP.

4, FIX THE REFINARIES

5, REDUCE SCHOOL FEES IN GOVT UNI

6, CREATE A DATABASE OF ALL UNEMPLOYED GRADUATES

7, CREATE EMPLOYMENT

8, REMOVE SUBSIDY

9, PAY ALL THE UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS MONTHLY FROM THE SUBSIDY FUNDS EVEN IF ITS 10K A MONTH SINCE THE GOVT CAN PAY THE MEND. WHILE PAYING SUBSIDY

10 BEFORE I FORGET, NIGERIAN SECURITY SERVICE NEEDS OVERHAUL .

IF THINGS ARE DONE LIKE THIS THEN WE ARE GOOD TO GO.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by hercules07: 9:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
Please all those that voted GEJ should not complain, you have voted them in, get ready for more economic misery, a government that tries to solve criminality by going after the common man rather than the criminal is a useless one, they always use smuggling as an excuse, is it the common man that is smuggling? Is it the common man that is in charge of the borders? Are these things smuggled in bottles? Okonjo Iweala is one of them, she is more interested in earning plaudits at the World Bank than the effects of her cruel policies on the common man.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by NjaPrince(m): 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
NO Pain, No Gain. Nigerians wake up!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by stagger: 9:54pm On Oct 22, 2011
mekaboy:

THE PROBLEM IS THAT NIGERIANS DONT DO FIRST THINGS FIRST. THEY REMOVE THE SUBSIDY , WHILE THE ROADS ARE BAD, SO THE PEOPLE DONT ONLY SPEND ALOT OF FUEL THEY ALSO SPEND ALOT TO REPAIR THEIR CARS.

HOW CAN THEY REMOVE SUBSIDY AND THE UNIVERSITIES INCREASING SCHOOL FEES? SO PEOPLE WILL PAY TWICE TO TRANSPORT TO SCHOOL AND PAY HEAVY FEES .

WHEN THE UNEMPLOYED ARE ALREADY PICKING UP ARMS TO ROB BANKS, WHEN THEY PRICE OF FOOD INCREASES , WHAT WILL THEN HAPPEN ?

FIRST THINGS FIRST.

1, FIX THE POWER PROBLEM

2,FIX THE ROADS

3, INVEST IN AGRICULTURE TO ENSURE THAT FOOD BECOMES CHEAP.

4, FIX THE REFINARIES

5, REDUCE SCHOOL FEES IN GOVT UNI

6, CREATE A DATABASE OF ALL UNEMPLOYED GRADUATES

7, CREATE EMPLOYMENT

8, REMOVE SUBSIDY

9, PAY ALL THE UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS MONTHLY FROM THE SUBSIDY FUNDS  EVEN IF ITS 10K A MONTH SINCE THE GOVT CAN PAY THE MEND. WHILE PAYING SUBSIDY

10 BEFORE I FORGET, NIGERIAN SECURITY SERVICE NEEDS OVERHAUL .

IF THINGS ARE DONE LIKE THIS THEN WE ARE GOOD TO GO.

Solid point, but them wey dey government no dey see am like that o!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by dinggle: 10:01pm On Oct 22, 2011
I hate to be here, but like Dora she has outlived her usefulness and has nothing else to offer other that to be the eyes, ears and navigator of World bank agenda in Nigeria.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by mrjingles(m): 10:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
Ignorance in action is terrifying, the posts on this thread have convinced me that out problem is EDUCATION! The number of misguided and ill informed posts here makes my eye water.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by emmatok(m): 10:17pm On Oct 22, 2011
Every-one knows that  Okonjo-iweala is a world-bank puppet except GEJ fans and jingoists.

The GOVT. is increasing fuel price, thy are not removing any fuel subsidy.

Because their is no subsidy in the first place.

Why not licence private individuals to import the fuel and see if the fuel price won't fall.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by igbogolo: 10:34pm On Oct 22, 2011
I am still working on the cost of fuel to the pump were crude oil refined and processed in Nigeria. My rough estimate is N43 naira.
My calculations show that we are over paying for fuel by about 50%  even at N65 per litre. So, i am inclined to believe that there is really no subsidy in place in the first instance.

I think petrol is very expensive in Nigeria even as we have no amenities, no social net, nothing.

For those that voted Jonathan and not PDP, please continue to smile and suffer. A man who wants to remove increase fuel prices at this time is simply clueless!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by emmatok(m): 10:36pm On Oct 22, 2011
igbogolo:

I am still working on the cost of fuel to the pump were crude oil refined and processed in Nigeria. My rough estimate is N43 naira.
My calculations show that we are over paying for fuel by about 50%  even at N65 per litre. So, i am inclined to believe that there is really no subsidy in place in the first instance.

I think petrol is very expensive in Nigeria even as we have no amenities, no social net, nothing.

For those that voted Jonathan and not PDP, please continue to smile and suffer. A man who wants to remove increase fuel prices at this time is simply clueless!

+100

Their was never a fuel subsidy.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by ubongekpe(m): 10:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
Pls NL b4 ur react to any treat, do ur home work well. stop abusing people.

Am  a Nigerian  like u guy working in private sector. Have not benefit from any government  either the present or the past one, so am not supporting one, but i want to make the following clear.

- The three refineries are all working at their optimal capacity. I have been to these refineries at least 3 to 4 time in the last 2 months, so the problem is not fixing the refineries, but their out put can not meet with Nigerians consumption rate, that why we are importing. Also remember that we are not a capitalist economy but rather a mixed economy, but the government want to move into a socialist economy, by so doing the private sector will be the major controller of our economy where price will be determine by the force of demand and supply. so it will be the responsibility of the private sector to build the refineries as is done in most socialist economy in the world.

- Secondly i want state here that i support the removal of the subsidy, we should be able to embrace change, every great economy in world pay one price or the other, for instance like China. Just imagine for every liter of fuel we are buying the government is paying  almost 80 naira to the importers, who will not even want our refineries to work so that they can continue to enslave both the government and the masses. So this is what is going to happen at the initial stage, like the coming of gsm, a Sim card was almost sold at 30k while Nokia 3010 was 40k+, but Sim card are almost free, with 27k you can buy the lowest grade of BB, why is this so, because the force of demand and supply are in place. With the subsidy gone the fuel will be sold at 150 naira per liter at the initial stage but with time we will be buying fuel at 18 to 20 naira per liter, the private sector will be force to build refineries to reduce the cost of importation instead hiding under the umbrella of subsidy to make their huge profit . they will be room for competition and the three refineries will be privatise like the case of NI TEL.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by leighcon(m): 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^
You did not do your own home work at all to talk of doing it well.
You have never benefited in government because you work in the private sector yet you travel on roads built by the government!

You got your basic economics wrong. A socialist economy is the Cuban type where government control forces of production while the US of A is the capitalist run nation where almost everything asides social services is private sector driven. O. A. Lawal will help you here.

Gsm and Fuel are two different things, one has more multiplier effect than the other as in the cost of fuel being a determinant of costs at the macro level.

Sim card cost coming down, yes I agree it was due to competition but as for the cost of phones, it has been more of improvement in technology.

What many people are saying is that since we have crude oil right under our nose here, then we shouldn't pay the same cost as nations that do not have it. The question is what has government done/ is doing to make us have this comparative advantage?

Removal of subsidy at this time is definitely not good enough for the masses, the cabal will still reap their money from this same masses.

Just look at this, AMCON is promising to buy up the debt Zenon was owing Keystone bank (PHB)[With state's resources] whereas Otedola is still living in Opulence - Sorry to digress but then that is what we will keep getting until we have people with understanding running our governments.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Is She The Messiah We Are Waiting For, Or Do We Look For Another? by AZeD1(m): 11:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
ubong ekpe:

Pls NL b4 your react to any treat, do your home work well. stop abusing people.

Am  a Nigerian  like u guy working in private sector. Have not benefit from any government  either the present or the past one, so am not supporting one, but i want to make the following clear.

- The three refineries are all working at their optimal capacity. I have been to these refineries at least 3 to 4 time in the last 2 months, so the problem is not fixing the refineries, but their out put can not meet with Nigerians consumption rate, that why we are importing. Also remember that we are not a capitalist economy but rather a mixed economy, but the government want to move into a socialist economy, by so doing the private sector will be the major controller of our economy where price will be determine by the force of demand and supply. so it will be the responsibility of the private sector to build the refineries as is done in most socialist economy in the world.

- Secondly i want state here that i support the removal of the subsidy, we should be able to embrace change, every great economy in world pay one price or the other, for instance like China. Just imagine for every liter of fuel we are buying the government is paying  almost 80 naira to the importers, who will not even want our refineries to work so that they can continue to enslave both the government and the masses. So this is what is going to happen at the initial stage, like the coming of gsm, a Sim card was almost sold at 30k while Nokia 3010 was 40k+, but Sim card are almost free, with 27k you can buy the lowest grade of BB, why is this so, because the force of demand and supply are in place. With the subsidy gone the fuel will be sold at 150 naira per liter at the initial stage but with time we will be buying fuel at 18 to 20 naira per liter, the private sector will be force to build refineries to reduce the cost of importation instead hiding under the umbrella of subsidy to make their huge profit . they will be room for competition and the three refineries will be privatise like the case of NI TEL.
Why do people have to compare every other sector with that of telecoms??
Guy incase you dont know or are too young to remember, Obj increased fuel price to N70 because he wanted to remove subsidy,
A government that spends over 70% of annual budget on recurrent expenditure? Dude please,
Oh by the way, just look at the cement industry because that's a prelude to fuel when the so called subsidy is removed,
Dangote , Otedola and Gej all na pdp,

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Governors Renew Calls For NEC Meeting / Buhari APC Wins Presidential Election - See Final Result / INEC: Osun Election Will Be Role Model For 2019 Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.