Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,323 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? (6858 Views)

What Do You Tell Your Current Employer If You Want To Go For Interview Elsewhere / How Will You Treat Your Current Boss If You Become His Superior In Future / Choose Your 5 Most Powerful Skills From This List Of Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Godmother(f): 7:45am On Oct 22, 2011
What Made You Decide On The Career You Are Doing Right Now?

Do you currently have a job you studied for or one you could get considering the Nigerian economy?
For me I'm doing one I could get after searching for a job for a long time.
The job is hell but the pay is it. I don't like the job and I hate waking up every morning.
But when I think of the unemployed state of the nation, every thoughts of quitting flees my mind and I manage. angry angry
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by iice(f): 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2011
Not something i studied for but i'm not complaining.
Vacations are scheduled, but basically i get to take vacations when i like. I have time to myself. Most importantly i still get to be me. Meaning, my 'i no send' attitude is not masked. No phoniness. I wouldn't mind getting into movies but then it's still not something i studied for technically.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sorry you hate waking up every morning to go to work. That must be hard. sad
But not giving up shows you're a strong person, so kudos to you.
What do you do, if I may ask? And why's it "hell?"  sad
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by 25omega(m): 1:30pm On Oct 24, 2011
i currently work in the IT feild and i actually went to school after i had graduated from college and was already working to get the job i have now. I must say i really like the company i work for but sometimes as in any job the frustrations of being a working person gets overwhelming. What made me decide on this career? well money and job security.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 24, 2011
I studied Marketing cuz i wanted to run away from anything Maths or Accounting, Unfortunately i work in a major Financial institution, Calculating every single day, Waking up with headache and going to bed with headache, Can i leave Hell nooooooo, except you offer me a better Job  grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by buzugee(m): 1:48pm On Oct 24, 2011
well i have plenty time to myself. i can wake up anytime i feel like it and leave work anytime i feel like it. i am a loafer.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Jarus(m): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2011
Studied Economics, but first got and still doing Accounting job. Now an Accountant.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by GentleAL(m): 2:11pm On Oct 24, 2011
Why Did You Choose Your Current Career?

Before the choice of my career, I used to be curious about how Ships are operated. So I decided to become a Marine Engineer.
After making the choice:
I enjoy 4 months vacation in a year, which is good enough for now.
Visit to some nice countries without the need for visa(s), though I don't get to stay as long as I would have loved.
So far, I'm loving it, cool
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nymphnode(m): 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2011
Science lab technician. Working as a microwave engineer now
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by BigMeat2: 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2011
always wanted to work in finance, although not very good with numbers
studied economics and management, worked briefly in accounting, but now real hardwork and enjoyment in the field of treasury with a multinational investment organisation, where no two days are ever the same.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 24, 2011
doing exactly what i studied for and enjoying it. That fortunately is the beauty of America.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by cecegorz(m): 3:43pm On Oct 24, 2011
I chose my current career because while an udergrad, i discovered that with the rate Industries are dying off in this country, my Industrial Chemistry may not even let me survive as a man, not to talk of being Successful and wealthy in it.
Since i was already in 300L, and can't drop years to change course, i veered into informal IT, learning win 98 , fDisk , DOS configurations from floppy dikette!  grin  grin  grin Talk about the good old days.
Today, i am so glad i did, I love my job to bits! It has taken me around this whole country, It pays all my bills and leaves me some change to touch some other peoples lives.
Now, i am running a Masters prog. to formalize my new found love.
So, to answer the basic question, I needed a career that guarantees somewhat financial freedom!
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by slyboggie(m): 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2011
choose my present career because it suites my personality, never liked desk jobs.
you also get to see the world from a bird eye view,
6 weeks on 6 weeks off and the pay is brilliant.
you get to travel all around the world for free.

God bless the day i decided to become a pilot.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by crackhouse(m): 5:21pm On Oct 24, 2011
Choosed my current career as a brick layer cos my dream of becoming an architect was frustrated by my fmr principal. So i have make a similar choice.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by crackhouse(m): 5:26pm On Oct 24, 2011
Putting blocks upon blocks mehn. Make me feel good. Whites may call it a builder. Haha
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by AmakaG29(f): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2011
I'm still in school, but I chose to continue school rather than going to work because I really like being a student. The working world seems so boring and lonely. I like hanging out with my friends, only being expected to perform well on exams, going to events and parties, and not worrying about all the little things. I also really enjoy learning and arguing about different ideas.

(Going back to reading) grin
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by oc2fish: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2011
WHY I CHOOSE MY CURRENT CAREER

A friend of mine told me his father has land that will be
good for constructing pond so i choose to study Fisheries
and Aquaculture. Work in the biggest Farm at Ibadan
for a while before venturing into academics.Belive me
students hate the course.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2011
I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2011
crackhouse:

Choosed my current career as a brick layer cos my dream of becoming an architect was frustrated by my fmr principal. So i have make a similar choice.
What happened? How did he frustrate your dream to become an Architect?  sad

crackhouse:

Putting blocks upon blocks mehn. Make me feel good. Whites may call it a builder. Haha
Great! As long as you love what you do now, that's the most important thing.  smiley cheesy

Amaka G29:

I'm still in school, but I chose to continue school rather than going to work because I really like being a student. The working world seems so boring and lonely. I like hanging out with my friends, only being expected to perform well on exams, going to events and parties, and not worrying about all the little things. I also really enjoy learning and arguing about different ideas.

(Going back to reading)  grin
I like being a student too, but I still look forward to finishing, lol.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by nwaneri(m): 8:55pm On Oct 24, 2011
Well, I am doing exactly what I studied both in my BSc and MSc. I think I saw a gap in that area and went ahead in it. Fortunately for me its and area I love and I have alway been strong in. So I must say I am enjoying work and the pay is cool. The only thing is that I want to try another area of the same field.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by ashdre: 9:56pm On Oct 24, 2011
Just becos of the unemployment problem.I was trained to be an engineer but now a marketer and i hate the job.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by manny4life(m): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2011
Yeah I love my job, dealing with numbers and spreadsheet, can it get any better? grin grin grin
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by nolongTing: 10:48pm On Oct 24, 2011
Software Development - I chose it because of the two [b]P[/b]s Passion and the Paycheck.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 25, 2011
^^^ What He said grin

Plus, it has no regulations and it's the easiest thing to break out from the 9-to-5 to the business world i.e see Facebook history.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 12:17am On Oct 25, 2011
Amaka G29:

(Going back to reading) grin

Wow. . . No school fees or student loan considerations?
That reality is gonna hit u very soon. grin
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by olsmade(m): 6:50am On Oct 25, 2011
Had pressure from my peeps to go into medicine but now considering a career change. If i stay on, I ll likely go into a non-clinical aspect. Not so fascinated by patient care.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:02am On Oct 25, 2011
I didnt choose it, my career chose me. And although what I read in my first degree and my current job description are worlds apart, I am enjoying it imensely and its even beginning to affect my choice of a second degree.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Sagamite(m): 8:23am On Oct 25, 2011
GentleAL:

Why Did You Choose Your Current Career?

Before the choice of my career, I used to be curious about how Ships are operated. So I decided to become a Marine Engineer.
After making the choice:
I enjoy 4 months vacation in a year, which is good enough for now.
Visit to some nice countries without the need for visa(s), though I don't get to stay as long as I would have loved.
So far, I'm loving it, cool

That sounds good.
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by cloud7: 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2011
QUITE INTERESTING AND FUNNY IT CAN BE, SOON AFTER MY HIGH SCHOOL, WHILST WAITING FOR MY SSCE,I GOT A JOB AS A MESSENGER IN A PRIVATE COURIER COMPANY,DISPATCHING LETTERS TO COMPANIES,INCIDENTALLY THE LETTERS/DOCUMENTS WERE ALWAYS MEANT FOR LIBRARIANS IN NNPC,CBN,UNIVERSITIES,RESEARCH ORGANISATION,BANKS,GOVT PARASTATALS,AMERICAN EMBASSY,BRITISH COUNCIL ETC.

THEN I SAID TO MYSELF,WHY CANT I BE A LIBRARIAN SO THAT PEOPLE CAN DISPATCH PARCELS TO ME SOMEDAY,THE FOLLOWING YEAR, I ENROLLED FOR JAMB AND CHOSE TO READ LIBRARY SCIENCE AND TODAY AM LIBRARIAN/DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT IN A REPUTABLE OIL AND GAS COMPANY, THE REST IS HISTORY
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 2:25am On Oct 26, 2011
Like somebody mentioned earlier 2Ps

Passion;

Psychiatric Nursing (like to work with people that dont get it cheesy) most especially Seniors(Geriatric) smiley

Paycheck;

Fat paycheck and it just keep getting better for over 8yrs of practice grin
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 26, 2011
Studied Journalism outta the love i have for writing and talking football, wouldn't mind if the dough flowing in hits a hitch, i jxt love this profession! cool
Re: Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? by DateMynd44(m): 8:02pm On Mar 21, 2017
cloud7:
QUITE INTERESTING AND FUNNY IT CAN BE, SOON AFTER MY HIGH SCHOOL, WHILST WAITING FOR MY SSCE,I GOT A JOB AS A MESSENGER IN A PRIVATE COURIER COMPANY,DISPATCHING LETTERS TO COMPANIES,INCIDENTALLY THE LETTERS/DOCUMENTS WERE ALWAYS MEANT FOR LIBRARIANS IN NNPC,CBN,UNIVERSITIES,RESEARCH ORGANISATION,BANKS,GOVT PARASTATALS,AMERICAN EMBASSY,BRITISH COUNCIL ETC.

THEN I SAID TO MYSELF,WHY CANT I BE A LIBRARIAN SO THAT PEOPLE CAN DISPATCH PARCELS TO ME SOMEDAY,THE FOLLOWING YEAR, I ENROLLED FOR JAMB AND CHOSE TO READ LIBRARY SCIENCE AND TODAY AM LIBRARIAN/DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT IN A REPUTABLE OIL AND GAS COMPANY, THE REST IS HISTORY
[color=#006600][/color]
are u a librarian? If your reply is to the affirmative pls click on the link below. Your contributions will be highly appreciated.

https://www.nairaland.com/3695124/considering-taking-up-career-librarian

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does The Company Sky Packing Materials Trading: LLC Do? / How To Become A Lecturer In Nigeria / Do Investigative Journalism Still Existing In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.