Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages (12980 Views)

My Parents Are Using Their Lives To Ruin My Future!!! / Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? / My Parents Are Forcing Me To Get Married While I'm Not Ready & Financially Fit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by modernWays: 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I saw an IJAW Girl Recently, who came from her VILLAGE to Warri in 2020,
Got Pregnant for an Urhobo Boy whose Mother is IJAW. smiley

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! 😯😒😕

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.
She now Replied 'I want my Daughter to Sabi Speak Correct English o.
For their School, Any Wrong English, Dem go FLOG you'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!😒

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

Now, Every Nigerian PARENTS is Teaching their Children 'Correct English'
Because they wants to IMPRESS the Schools their Children Attend.🙁

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

So I ask, IS THIS TREND GOOD THING?

IS THERE ANY BENEFITS IN BECOMING EXPERT ENGLISH SPEAKERS,
WHILE ABANDONING OUR NATIVE LANGUAGES? 🤔🤨

No one destroy anything except some parents who themselves don't speak or understand their languages. English is our official language, so it is much more better to teach these children how to speak fluent English as earlier as possible.

Kids normally understand their mother's tongue languages especially if the parents speaks it to each other at home. We used English on my kids right from when they were born, and they understood and speaks my language fluently withiout being taught.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Timoleon(m): 2:57pm On Oct 11, 2023
If you understood what I submitted, you wouldn’t have felt the need to disagree.

Firstly, i strongly believe that you would rather live in Nigeria rather than in the Amazon jungle. However, citing the Amazon actually confirms what I submitted initially. The survival of those people in ties to their local dialects. Majority of them are not looking to work outside of their clans and jungle. They produce their food locally so everything locally. Even they can tell apart from themselves who a ‘city boy’ is and who isn’t. But that is just the amazon. In the larger Brazil, to become anything tangible, you have to learn Portuguese otherwise you’d be restricted to menial jobs and favelas.

For China you can say the same with additional factors. Firstly, China is a self sufficient country, even we in far away Nigeria import from them. Their sufficiency is local enough to ensure that a person who doesn’t speak a foreign language can survive. The additional factor is that they are a homogenous people (mostly). If you travel throughout most of China, you only need to be able to speak Mandarin and most people you’d meet speak the same.

If you travel through Nigeria, you May need to learn a new language after every two villages.
Survival in the cities require that you understand a ‘universal’ language (English). Otherwise you’d be restricted to menial jobs.

Now imagine having an invention perhaps coded tech that’s useful for humanity let’s say something in the health sector capable of creating millions of jobs and it was coded in the Yoruba language, such that only people with sufficient knowledge in Yoruba can work in that sector can get around it and tap into its benefits either as users or as employees. There’d be a lot of people eager to learn and speak the local dialect because that’s what puts food on the table.

This is how we can save our languages. Tie it to our survival. People protect whatever puts food on their tables.

Many languages in the Amazon have been lost to this fact. Once food and land was taken away from many tribes and they were forced to work in places where if they don’t speak Portuguese they don’t feed themselves and their families, they started to lose their languages.

No serious job seeker will write an application letter in Yoruba except if it’s to be a Yoruba teacher. Which in turn means the language is essential to the person’s survival.

I hope that with this few points of mine, I have been able to convince you and not to confuse you that you didn’t need to disagree with my initial submission. Thank you.

papyjaypaul:

I disagree. It is what you comsume that affects you. Those tribes in Amazon, are they speaking English?Are they not surviving? Do they interact with the world? It is when you are ashamed of yourself you begin to look outside. Do you think Chinese don't study English? They use their language first but learn English to work with outside world. Nigerians think everything revolves round English. What about French, Spanish. How do people work with them? Was it Hausa that they spoke before they came to steal our gold in zamfara?

4 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Moniya4Real(m): 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
Very apt and correct. That is what worked against Rhodes of the LP in the last Lagos gubernatorial elections. Imagine my governor unable to speak his dialect:. Foolishness of the highest order. More worrisome just like you rightly pointed out,is , some parents pride themselves in their children inability to speak their native language. The government needs to really wake up on this salient issue.

happney65:

You dey mind them. Yet the Indians are top in science and technology all around the world

The issue is. Some of these parents are actually suffering from an intense inferiority complex. Maybe because some of them were not brought up with the best Education or something. They were made to see their language and culture as the worst.

Because I can't just fathom it. I don't live abroad. It is even understable for children born abroad. But you were born here, and your children will not be able to speak my language? Which kind of foolishness is that?

Was talking to one 9 year old on Monday and he couldn't even understand a thing except 'scattered' Yoruba. I actually thought he was Igbo until I asked of his name and was surprised when told me his name. Asked him why he couldn't speak Yoruba. He said his parents used to tell them not to speak Yoruba

I was amazed and perplexed. Very useless parents

Some of them will even be happy about it.

They will say he will learn it later. grin.

I don't know why you can't learn English in school and learn your language at home with your parents etc.

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Banbanna(m): 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
Osimhen/Osemwen, which kind tin you dey cap here, my Edo bro. This your grouse should be for the local language negligent minority tribes of old Bendel State, not English which is ever the most widely spoken language and mostly used as a second language in most countries of the world. Outside native speakers of English, Scandinavian countries which includes Denmark & Sweden that you mentioned have the highest speakers of English language.
If for instance, a Chinese man wants to communicate with a Russian, they'll rather conveniently use English as their middle language than translators, as some things said could be lost in translation.
VOsimhen144:
Bro, it’s really pathetic…. I don’t know what’s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their native languages. Every tribe in Nigeria wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhere… at school, at home, market e.t.c but that’s doesn’t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth can’t even speak their language. It’s so sad.
They are all forming mumu English.

That’s why God would continue to bless countries like Russia 🇷🇺, Spain 🇪🇸, Croatia 🇭🇷, Finland 🇫🇮, China 🇨🇳, Japan 🇯🇵 and Sweden 🇸🇪. They fvcking don’t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by rinzylee(m): 3:31pm On Oct 11, 2023
I am Igbo and I am so pained that we are the worst hit.

The average child in Igbo land doesn't know how to communicate in Igbo, talk more of those born in the North or west.

Igbo parents of the 1980s and later years failed in this regard.

I see some folks who even think you are not in their class when you speak Igbo to them.

It is really sad.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Flamemignon1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2023
VOsimhen144:
Bro, it’s really pathetic…. I don’t know what’s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their native languages. Every tribe in Nigeria wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhere… at school, at home, market e.t.c but that’s doesn’t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth can’t even speak their language. It’s so sad.

That’s why God would continue to bless countries like Russia 🇷🇺, Spain 🇪🇸, Croatia 🇭🇷, Finland 🇫🇮, China 🇨🇳, Japan 🇯🇵 and Sweden 🇸🇪. They fvcking don’t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.
That's because citizens of those countries are patriotic,what's there to be patriotic about this hellhole? Abeg I no blame them jare,until we start taking ourselves seriously,then I'm sorry, people will just continue to dive out of their natural cultures
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Flamemignon1(m): 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
EyeCumInPiece:
Blackman languages will continue to be irrelevant until Blackman starts impacting the world positively. So far, blackman has little or nothing to offer the world.
So you can't depend on Oyibo technology etc & leave out their language.
I wish I could like this a billion times,this is just the answer
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Banbanna(m): 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2023
Well, maybe it's not all gloom & doom concerning this matter. I think the authorities are making belated steps to address the issue. I paid my brother a visit in BCity lately, I looked through my little niece's primary school notes and helped her with some of her Edo language home work she was on to. For instance she could read and spell Aga, Ehen, Ibata, etc. That private school, Iyahen International Academy dey really try
Vinnie2000:

Edo State is TERRIBLE in this Regard! sad

Many in Benin City don't know more than 'Lare'.🙁

Bini Language will go EXTINCT in 15,20Years Time! 😒😕
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by papyjaypaul: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:
If you understood what I submitted, you wouldn’t have felt the need to disagree.

Firstly, i strongly believe that you would rather live in Nigeria rather than in the Amazon jungle. However, citing the Amazon actually confirms what I submitted initially. The survival of those people in ties to their local dialects. Majority of them are not looking to work outside of their clans and jungle. They produce their food locally so everything locally. Even they can tell apart from themselves who a ‘city boy’ is and who isn’t. But that is just the amazon. In the larger Brazil, to become anything tangible, you have to learn Portuguese otherwise you’d be restricted to menial jobs and favelas.

For China you can say the same with additional factors. Firstly, China is a self sufficient country, even we in far away Nigeria import from them. Their sufficiency is local enough to ensure that a person who doesn’t speak a foreign language can survive. The additional factor is that they are a homogenous people (mostly). If you travel throughout most of China, you only need to be able to speak Mandarin and most people you’d meet speak the same.

If you travel through Nigeria, you May need to learn a new language after every two villages.
Survival in the cities require that you understand a ‘universal’ language (English). Otherwise you’d be restricted to menial jobs.

Now imagine having an invention perhaps coded tech that’s useful for humanity let’s say something in the health sector capable of creating millions of jobs and it was coded in the Yoruba language, such that only people with sufficient knowledge in Yoruba can work in that sector can get around it and tap into its benefits either as users or as employees. There’d be a lot of people eager to learn and speak the local dialect because that’s what puts food on the table.

This is how we can save our languages. Tie it to our survival. People protect whatever puts food on their tables.

Many languages in the Amazon have been lost to this fact. Once food and land was taken away from many tribes and they were forced to work in places where if they don’t speak Portuguese they don’t feed themselves and their families, they started to lose their languages.

No serious job seeker will write an application letter in Yoruba except if it’s to be a Yoruba teacher. Which in turn means the language is essential to the person’s survival.

I hope that with this few points of mine, I have been able to convince you and not to confuse you that you didn’t need to disagree with my initial submission. Thank you.

Do you think Nigeria is the only country with many languages? What countries do is teach them in the local language and they have 1 class a day for the language they will use in the world.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by spencekat(m): 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
papyjaypaul:

I disagree. It is what you comsume that affects you. Those tribes in Amazon, are they speaking English?Are they not surviving? Do they interact with the world? It is when you are ashamed of yourself you begin to look outside. Do you think Chinese don't study English? They use their language first but learn English to work with outside world. Nigerians think everything revolves round English. What about French, Spanish. How do people work with them? Was it Hausa that they spoke before they came to steal our gold in zamfara?
7 bottles of Heineken for you alone.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by ladgentle(m): 3:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
This kind of discussion only favours those who belong to the major languages. It easier for them to say, adopt Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa.

So long as it's not my language that is being adopted, let's just keep speaking the English together. Shey na my language go come go extinct? Solidarity no dey this one o. Any other language is not my language, no matter where and how it is spoken, it's a foreign language and a threat to mine.

Like somebody mentioned, if the government is serious about using the mother tongue to teach at all, they must first of translate all teaching texts and aids from English to one of the mother tongue ( I wonder which).

My point is that the problem is more fundamental than we would want to acknowledging. Lord Luggard should not joined us together. Period!
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by seunayantokun(m): 3:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
Everything will be wrong with Nigeria until we go back to what God made us in our individual nations, states, or regions and develop according to our cultures and languages in a way thst meets the modern international standards.
Nigeria might be a country but certainly not a nation.
Nigeria has no culture.
Nigeria has no language.
The English language and culture it borrowed have made you conquered peoples forever and ever until we decide to change things.
Of couse, we can domesticate a foreign language in each culture, but if education is not offered you in your mother tongue, you're a repainted illiterate. And, if your government is not run in your language, you're a conquered slave forever.
It is a pity some cannot even talk to God in a way that pours their heart to Him. Some Christians pitiably struggle to pray in English while Muslims are chained and fettered to the Quranic Arabic.
Ìyà ńbẹ f'ọmọ tí kò gbọ́n, ẹkún ńbẹ f'ọmọ tí ń sá kiri.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by spencekat(m): 3:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
SirLakes:
You go write ijaw and uhrobo for IELTS grin

When your pikin write waec 20 times cos e no pass English you go understand say e dey importanter

Aside understanding basic communication in native language, e no dey useful cool
A child can learn two or more of them. Children in their growing phase can learn a lot of languages.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by SirLakes: 3:57pm On Oct 11, 2023
spencekat:
A child can learn two or more of them. Children in their growing phase can learn a lot of languages.

Okay nah, I'll rather get them french teacher instead cool
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by SirLakes: 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2023
papyjaypaul:

Was it Hausa that they spoke before they came to steal our gold in zamfara?

Your leaders sold your Gold to them for peanuts cool
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Newyorkitis(m): 4:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
The issue is not to just teach children their local dialects.... The aim is to update our languages to meet international standards.

Check the English language: words that are not traditionally English are adopted around the world, while new words are added all round the world, making it a global language which is attractive to you and I.

So how attractive are our local languages:

What is Electricity?
What is phone?
What is x-ray?
What is bullet?
What is satellite?
What is cousin?
What is niece?
What is photograph?
What is artificial?
What about names of colours?

I'll rather live a good life with basic social amenities without knowing how to speak my language, than live a worthless life knowing my native language.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Banbanna(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2023
Communicate freely keh!😸 Honestly speaking, can you comfortably speak your language for a stretch of time without some/bits of English in between? The only people that can muster it are perhaps those aged ones in the village whose local language skills you'll not completely understand.
Babaalajo:
When you communicate in your language, you expressed yourself freely unlike English that you'll be thinking before you say a word atimes.... English language is good but our native language will always better
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Cotonou12: 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2023
Antoeni:
Who Local Language Help
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by pascal558(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Edo State is TERRIBLE in this Regard! sad

Many in Benin City don't know more than 'Lare'.🙁

Bini Language will go EXTINCT in 15,20Years Time! 😒😕

The nonsense dey vex me and the funniest part be say their English Na still rubbish when white man still see them... Wetin even dey keep Benin alive Na the old people when still dey village, once Thier generation die finish then it is over

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Limassol(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! 😯😒😕

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!😒

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

I'm a primary school teacher in Kaduna state. My school is located in a predominantly Hausa speaking area, thus almost all the pupils are Hausa natives and speak it as their first language even in the classroom.

As a teacher I took a stand against that - no Hausa speaking in class, violation incurs a penalty. As such, the pupils are always trying to speak and improve their English. And I think that's a good thing.

That is not to say i consider Hausa language inferior to English, not really. But I believe as school kids, them getting a basic grasp of our sole national language is paramount and highly desirable.

So, IMHO, a little bit of pressure on them to get a good handle of English serves a useful purpose - that doesn't translate/ have anything to do with the misperception that our indigenous languages are somehow inferior.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Banbanna(m): 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
Communicate freely keh!😸 Honestly speaking, can you comfortably speak your language for a stretch of time without some/bits of English in between? The only people that can muster it are perhaps those aged ones in the village whose local language you'll not completely understand.
Babaalajo:
When you communicate in your language, you expressed yourself freely unlike English that you'll be thinking before you say a word atimes.... English language is good but our native language will always better
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Abagworo(m): 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I was WEAK Instantly!

I learnt Igbo and Nigerian languages later in life cause I went to private schools and so are my children. There's nothing wrong with it .

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Coronavirus1: 5:31pm On Oct 11, 2023
Parents, including myself, should take responsibility for this issue mentioned in the write-up. It's concerning that we, as parents, can speak our local language, yet our children cannot. This is a problem that needs addressing. Additionally, when both the mother and father speak different languages, it raises the question of which language we should use to communicate with our children.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by YouAreNobody: 5:55pm On Oct 11, 2023
SirLakes:
You go write ijaw and uhrobo for IELTS grin

When your pikin write waec 20 times cos e no pass English you go understand say e dey importanter

Aside understanding basic communication in native language, e no dey useful cool
Rubbish talk
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by YouAreNobody: 5:59pm On Oct 11, 2023
Acidosis:
The diverse nature of Nigerian languages is the major reason many languages will become extinct. The languages are way too many and largely unreasonable.

Many of the people claiming Yoruba language now actually have their local diatects. They've abandoned it for Yoruba. The Yoruba of Ilesha is not the same as the Yoruba of Ijebu, Ekiti, Ondo, Lagos, Yagba in Kogi.

In Kogi state alone, there are over 10 different brands of Yoruba language. How can a generation keep up with that diversity? Almost every town has a local dialect. You may understand what they're saying,but you'll never be able to speak even if you know the generic Yoruba.

Everyone is now claiming Yoruba at the expense of their local mother tongue. Yet, these same people who are completely clueless as regards their native languages turn around to blame English speakers.

An Ilesha man who go about speaking the generic Yoruba language has equally failed his generation. Yoruba is not your first language.

When you combine most of these local dialects, you would realise that Nigeria has over 17,000 languages. Only a useless generation will keep up with this level of diversity. There are better things to do, .e.g. innovations, military sophistications, etc. than learning or interpreting 17,000 languages. No be like this UK, US, and Canada take develop.

The diversity of Nigerian languages emerged from a place of illiteracy, beef, hatred, and disunity. We need a common ground at the end of the day.
Na waa o, how u go talk like this?
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by OyinO: 6:05pm On Oct 11, 2023
because the dumb religious indoctrinated parents simply don't care.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by phemmyfour: 6:33pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I was WEAK Instantly!

Yoruba can't go into extinction. Thanks to Yorubahood and Afrobeats. I don't know about other languages

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Acidosis(m): 6:35pm On Oct 11, 2023
YouAreNobody:

Na waa o, how u go talk like this?

How I go talk truth?

Have you seen any country with over 17,000 languages and over 700 ethnic groups that is better than Nigeria?
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by SirLakes: 6:44pm On Oct 11, 2023
YouAreNobody:

Rubbish talk
Coming from a nonentity grin
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Drefaithful(m): 7:39pm On Oct 11, 2023
Only Hausa language can stand the test of time in the long run, even Yoruba and Igbo in next 30-40 years to come, they will be paying people to teach them those languages.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by jesmond3945: 7:55pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I was WEAK Instantly!

have you seen database technology? If you dont know english you will never know how to query a database or is it python or is it reading journal articles. Let us not deceive ourselves. Our local languages would only foster our culture but in the large scheme of things will take you no where.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by jesmond3945: 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2023
VOsimhen144:

These countries you are asking God to bless burn midnight candles to learn english. Some pay thousands of pounds to masters in english. You know why? English is the language of technology, the more you speak it the farther you go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

That One Child That You Love, But Will Frustrate You Unintentionally / Toke Makinwa's First Vlog After The Scandal. / How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.