Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages (13008 Views)

My Parents Are Using Their Lives To Ruin My Future!!! / Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? / My Parents Are Forcing Me To Get Married While I'm Not Ready & Financially Fit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by jesmond3945: 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2023
EyeCumInPiece:
Blackman languages will continue to be irrelevant until Blackman starts impacting the world positively. So far, blackman has little or nothing to offer the world.
So you can't depend on Oyibo technology etc & leave out their language.
enough said

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by jesmond3945: 8:00pm On Oct 11, 2023
VOsimhen144:
u still don’t understand the op. He’s not saying we shouldn’t speak English, all what he’s saying is that we should also be teaching our children their native language.
If u go to aso rock and you’re a Yoruba man, Tinubu will relate with you in Yoruba.
When buhari was in aso rock and his Fulani brothers come to visit, he would relate with dem in their native language but that doesn’t mean he don’t speak English.

They speak English when they want to address the general public.
you mean my govamant type of english or bulalaba type of english. When you travel, you would know why learning english is powerful. The way you speak in abroad will open doors for you. Am not saying dont learn your local language but if we must make our language attractive we must use our local language to build and create things just like the chinese and koreans.

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by jesmond3945: 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
lordm:
Colonisation has been placed on autopilot since. So many Nigerians don't know Jack about their native languages. Just go to any big private school and do the research, you would be shocked. Aka Gen Z
yes, english is the language of global competitiveness. If you want your language to compete be innovative.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by musicwriter(m): 8:02pm On Oct 11, 2023
MorataFC:
Are you not guilty of the same thing? grin
Why write your writeup in English, why not IJAW? or any other indigenous language.

Did he drop off from the moon? Or was he supposed to invent a new language just to talk to you?

Of course, he went to school like you, learned the English language like you, probably even better. But he's curious enough to understand that something is wrong. But you don't. That's the difference.

That's the true legacy of Soyinka and Achebe, exactly what white people wanted to use them for after the so called independence. And until a more intelligent generation overturn it, the black race is doomed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by musicwriter(m): 8:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:

People don’t get this thing you just said which is the truth. I still posted something similar recently. For the most part, our existence especially as adults is not hinged on being fluent in the local dialects. Getting a job often requires fluency in foreign language and proficiency in using their tools (machines and tech) whose manuals are of course not written in our local languages.

We have to engineer ways by which our productivity and sufficiency are intertwined with our use of indigenous language.

The solution is simple.
Our native languages must be made compulsory in school. They have to be vigorously used for literature. They have to be used to learn sciences too.
Just replace everything we do in English today back to our native languages. Only then shall it be intertwined with our lives as it was before our unfortunate encounter with white people.
And when that happens, that's when we'll be free, indeed.

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Ogaonos: 8:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
VOsimhen144:
Bro, it’s really pathetic…. I don’t know what’s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their native languages. Every tribe in Nigeria wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhere… at school, at home, market e.t.c but that’s doesn’t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth can’t even speak their language. It’s so sad.
They are all forming mumu English.

That’s why God would continue to bless countries like Russia 🇷🇺, Spain 🇪🇸, Croatia 🇭🇷, Finland 🇫🇮, China 🇨🇳, Japan 🇯🇵 and Sweden 🇸🇪. They fvcking don’t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.
two reasons for lang decline one is inter tribe marriage d other is wicked village relations wen u call pastor before u visit village say alot .d only lang dt will survived are yoruba igbo nd hausa for obvious reasons .what nigeria need to do is d officially make pidgin english our second national lang.trying to put more lang will b too much on d child learning capacity let face
reality

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Ogaonos: 8:32pm On Oct 11, 2023
musicwriter:

The solution is simple.
Our native languages must be made compulsory in school. They have to be vigorously used for literature. They have to be used to learn sciences too.
Just replace everything we do in English today back to our native languages. Only then shall it be intertwined with our lives as it was before our unfortunate encounter with white people.
And when that happens, that's when we'll be free, indeed.
it wouldnt wrk it was tried before nd failed.u can only do dt in sch in d villages hw by making d native lang primary lang ie using ijaw lang to teach teach math science subject etc in sch in ijaw villages such will be very effective d north
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by VinnyBaba: 8:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
phemmyfour:
Yoruba can't go into extinction. Thanks to Yorubahood and Afrobeats. I don't know about other languages

Yoruba will go EXTINCT in the Future, like other Nigerian Tribes!😏😒

I Say this because the Likes of WIZKID, Davido, Tiwa Savage, Banky W, etc
Do NOT teach their Kids Yoruba Language! 🤨😒

The Current Yoruba Guys and Ladies who are SPEAKERS are not Passing the Language to Their Children! 🙁
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Josephamstrong1(m): 9:02pm On Oct 11, 2023
RosyIsBlessed:
They (private schools) are also destroying the educational system in Nigeria. They are employing half baked teachers everywhere without adequate training and retraining just because they want to cut cost.
Who are the full baked ones?
Why not apply and undergo the training in teaching?
Every school has curriculum they teach with. Apart from native languages, other subjects are taught in English. Do you think to learn and write English is that simple? Native languages are taught by parents at home. The school only aids when the time for learning native languages comes. Blame parents and not schools. Same you will criticize a school that its pupils don’t know how to read and write in English.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by musicwriter(m): 9:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Ogaonos:
it wouldnt wrk it was tried before nd failed.u can only do dt in sch in d villages hw by making d native lang primary lang ie using ijaw lang to teach teach math science subject etc in sch in ijaw villages such will be very effective d north

They probably did it the wrong way, that's why it couldn't work.

They can borrow ideas from other cultures who successfully did that in the past. Example; England.

England (and the other islands now commonly called Britain) were enslaved by Greece, Rome, Scandinavians, France, etc for over 500 years. Each time they were under slavery/colonialism they spoke the language of the colonizer.

Fast forward........ they eventually got their independence.

In 1348, English replaced Latin and Greek as the language of instruction in schools in Britain. But they didn't begin with all the subjects in school, instead they started with ART subjects first. Art subjects are easier, the words are readily available or could be easily coined.

It took them more than 200 years to replace science subjects too because they were mostly in Greek, in fact, many science words in English today are still in Greek.

Our native languages must be vigorously used for learning, literature, all arts, first. That would pave the way to other tasks ahead.

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by RosyIsBlessed: 9:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Josephamstrong1:

Who are the full baked ones?
Why not apply and undergo the training in teaching?
Every school has curriculum they teach with. Apart from native languages, other subjects are taught in English. Do you think to learn and write English is that simple? Native languages are taught by parents at home. The school only aids when the time for learning native languages comes. Blame parents and not schools. Same you will criticize a school that its pupils don’t know how to read and write in English.

Are you one of the half baked teachers? Why are you feeling attacked? Like my first post suggest, the half baked teachers employed in private schools is even more of a menace than languages. Employing school cert holders without adequate training and retraining on teaching and education generally, what do we expect them to teach the children?
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Xtristopher: 9:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
happney65:

You dey mind them. Yet the Indians are top in science and technology all around the world

The issue is. Some of these parents are actually suffering from an intense inferiority complex. Maybe because some of them were not brought up with the best Education or something. They were made to see their language and culture as the worst.

Because I can't just fathom it. I don't live abroad. It is even understable for children born abroad. But you were born here, and your children will not be able to speak my language? Which kind of foolishness is that?

Was talking to one 9 year old on Monday and he couldn't even understand a thing except 'scattered' Yoruba. I actually thought he was Igbo until I asked of his name and was surprised when told me his name. Asked him why he couldn't speak Yoruba. He said his parents used to tell them not to speak Yoruba

I was amazed and perplexed. Very useless parents

Some of them will even be happy about it.

They will say he will learn it later. grin.

I don't know why you can't learn English in school and learn your language at home with your parents etc.
Na mumu dey worry them , Awon were

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by OLULAW: 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2023
The reality, which I see everyday, is that quite often, if and when those kids land in Europe or North America, they have to relearn the English language. At that time, they've already lost their mother tongues. Double jeopardy, really.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Communityelder(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
Imagine choosing another person local language over your own local language

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by phemmyfour: 10:38pm On Oct 11, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Yoruba will go EXTINCT in the Future, like other Nigerian Tribes!😏😒

I Say this because the Likes of WIZKID, Davido, Tiwa Savage, Banky W, etc
Do NOT teach their Kids Yoruba Language! 🤨😒

The Current Yoruba Guys and Ladies who are SPEAKERS are not Passing the Language to Their Children! 🙁
Dey play
You think it's only via parent to child is the only way to learn language. Today's kids are multi lingua

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Okhuadams(m): 10:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I saw an IJAW Girl Recently, who came from her VILLAGE to Warri in 2020,
Got Pregnant for an Urhobo Boy whose Mother is IJAW. smiley

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! 😯😒😕

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.
She now Replied 'I want my Daughter to Sabi Speak Correct English o.
For their School, Any Wrong English, Dem go FLOG you'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!😒

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

Now, Every Nigerian PARENTS is Teaching their Children 'Correct English'
Because they wants to IMPRESS the Schools their Children Attend.🙁

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

So I ask, IS THIS TREND GOOD THING?

IS THERE ANY BENEFITS IN BECOMING EXPERT ENGLISH SPEAKERS,
WHILE ABANDONING OUR NATIVE LANGUAGES? 🤔🤨

Most private schools teachers are ssce holders

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by happney65: 11:15pm On Oct 11, 2023
Moniya4Real:
Very apt and correct. That is what worked against Rhodes of the LP in the last Lagos gubernatorial elections. Imagine my governor unable to speak his dialect:. Foolishness of the highest order. More worrisome just like you rightly pointed out,is , some parents pride themselves in their children inability to speak their native language. The government needs to really wake up on this salient issue.

Some people are surprised when my 4 year old speaks Yoruba well. As in we have turned it into a big deal for kids to speak their language. It is so common among we Yoruba's.

P.S. That of Rhodes was politics sha. Come 2027,the ruling party will still play ethnic politics in Lagos. That was the same they did in 2015 when they played the same ethnic politics. It was a Yoruba versus Igbo thing too.

Two Yoruba people will be contesting, It is Igbo people they will be attacking

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by 4KNGOATS(m): 3:26am On Oct 12, 2023
Bro no mind Nigerian people they are good in copying other people's traditions while abandoning Thier s useless fkn bastardzzz

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by 99thEnemy(m): 6:30am On Oct 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! 😯😒😕

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!😒

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

Leave schools out of this.

The schools have no duty or obligation to this.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by LawFight(m): 7:53am On Oct 12, 2023
I thought of it this morning before I see . We are still sllave to the white . Ideology, politically, religion, cultural. Even our dialect are written in foreign alphabet. Look at country like chain. there alphabet are different . So the foundation is destroy from inspection. We put foreign names higher than our indigenous name.oluwa ran wa lo wo.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Babaalajo(m): 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2023
Banbanna:
Communicate freely keh!😸 Honestly speaking, can you comfortably speak your language for a stretch of time without some/bits of English in between? The only people that can muster it are perhaps those aged ones in the village whose local language you'll not completely understand.
the only language you can speak freely without any fear of making a mistake is your native language, you can't speak English more than illiterate white men just because it's their language...

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by achimendy(m): 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2023
ojun50:
You dey blame the woman

If you go Nigeria EMBASSY na your language Them dey speak ?

If you go Aso rock na yr language them dey speak ?

If you fill form na which language you they use?

How you want make government approves the school if the school no speak English?

By bro no blame the woman Nigeria is complicated.

I think that's the fault of the women not the school.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by achimendy(m): 4:05pm On Oct 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I was WEAK Instantly!

The official language in Nigeria is English, and the school is there to teach you that, while you're suppose to learn your native language from your parent or family members.

So don't blame the school blame the women. I was a victim of that too.

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Kalatium(m): 9:57pm On Oct 15, 2023
Pootle:
Africans dont have the mind of there own that why they wont progress even the op use English, we have 3major languages in Nigeria i think it should be compulsory for every citizen to be able to read and write in those languages, the perception that local dialect is for the uneducated should be stopped, India did not forego there language for English, we should adopt the India model

Why will we be made to learn the 3 major languages?
Nawa o have you forgotten we have over 250languages why will I then be learning another person's language when I should be learning mine.
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Pootle: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2023
Kalatium:

Why will we be made to learn the 3 major languages?
Nawa o have you forgotten we have over 250languages why will I then be learning another person's language when I should be learning mine.

the 250 languages have some root from this 3 you know
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Kalatium(m): 1:48am On Oct 19, 2023
Pootle:

the 250 languages have some root from this 3 you know
They don't.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

bugs / What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? / That One Child That You Love, But Will Frustrate You Unintentionally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.