Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,196 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Itakpe To Warri By Train - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Itakpe To Warri By Train (2647 Views)

Tavy Pustiu Hit And Killed By Train While Live-streaming Himself / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna / Benson Uchenna Nwughala Nigerian In Italy Killed By Train While Wearing Earpiece (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Itakpe To Warri By Train by blackmantis: 8:42am On Oct 12, 2023
My experience using the train from Itakpe to Warri.

Itakpe Station
The fare is N5,000 for regular and N8,000 for business class. After paying I found out that seats available in the waiting hall could only accommodate like 100 people but there were over 300 people who had booked. So we had to find somewhere outside to sit. Many sat on the floor outside.

I was surprised to find out that at the Itakpe station they said the restroom was out of order because there was no water so travellers who needed to go had to use the nearby bushes to relieve themselves.

The day I traveled the departure time was set at 2pm but the train arrived at 2:09pm. Then chaos set it. There was a strange arrangement where touts in collaboration with the railway officials (helped) carried luggages of travellers into the coaches for a fee, this was done haphazardly as the touts grabbed the largest luggages they could find sometimes irrespective of the owners consent. One mans luggage was carried without his knowledge along with that of another person and when he found it the tout who carried it claimed ignorance.

It took over an hour before passengers were allowed to board and the train later moved some minutes after 3pm.

The ticket sales was manually done.

The Journey
The coaches are air-conditioned and spacious and the train moved smoothly. Different people sold on the train, some sold water, soft drinks and snacks and of course herbal medicine was also sold.

Immediately the train moved the restrooms on board the train were locked as observed on these coaches Sp00033 sp00021. Passengers who needed to ease themselves would have to wait untill the next station the go out and used the bush.

Lots of other passengers were picked along the way and many sat on the floor or stood in the aisle. Blocking the exits.

Security was tight though as several armed security men were clearly seen in all the coaches.

A lot could be done in maintaining standards. It's not rocket science to provide and maintain restrooms in public facilities.

I arrived Ujewu(Warri) at about 9:30pm

My humble submission.

Ticket sales should computerized automated and passengers should be allowed to choose seats of their choice. To avoid ticket racketeering by touts.

Staff must be mandated to put on uniforms with name tags. To prevent touts from taking advantage of travellers

More coaches should be bought and more routes opened as there is clearly a very large demand for hassle free land travel.

Overall the experience is great and despite the challenges I'll still prefer travel by rail than by road.

Cc: Seun
Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Itakpe To Warri By Train by CodeTemplar: 8:49am On Oct 12, 2023
Hmmm... They still sold food and herbs inside the train. A toilet-less train. Can Nigerians change?

1 Like

Re: Itakpe To Warri By Train by Algrin: 9:13am On Oct 12, 2023
blackmantis:
My experience using the train from Itakpe to Warri.

Itakpe Station
The fare is N5,000 for regular and N8,000 for business class. After paying I found out that seats available in the waiting hall could only accommodate like 100 people but there were over 300 people who had booked. So we had to find somewhere outside to sit. Many sat on the floor outside.

I was surprised to find out that at the Itakpe station they said the restroom was out of order because there was no water so travellers who needed to go had to use the nearby bushes to relieve themselves.

The day I traveled the departure time was set at 2pm but the train arrived at 2:09pm. Then chaos set it. There was a strange arrangement where touts in collaboration with the railway officials (helped) carried luggages of travellers into the coaches for a fee, this was done haphazardly as the touts grabbed the largest luggages they could find sometimes irrespective of the owners consent. One mans luggage was carried without his knowledge along with that of another person and when he found it the tout who carried it claimed ignorance.

It took over an hour before passengers were allowed to board and the train later moved some minutes after 3pm.

The ticket sales was manually done.

The Journey
The coaches are air-conditioned and spacious and the train moved smoothly. Different people sold on the train, some sold water, soft drinks and snacks and of course herbal medicine was also sold.

Immediately the train moved the restrooms on board the train were locked as observed on these coaches Sp00033 sp00021. Passengers who needed to ease themselves would have to wait untill the next station the go out and used the bush.

Lots of other passengers were picked along the way and many sat on the floor or stood in the aisle. Blocking the exits.

Security was tight though as several armed security men were clearly seen in all the coaches.

A lot could be done in maintaining standards. It's not rocket science to provide and maintain restrooms in public facilities.

I arrived Ujewu(Warri) at about 9:30pm

My humble submission.

Ticket sales should computerized automated and passengers should be allowed to choose seats of their choice. To avoid ticket racketeering by touts.

Staff must be mandated to put on uniforms with name tags. To prevent touts from taking advantage of travellers

More coaches should be bought and more routes opened as there is clearly a very large demand for hassle free land travel.

Overall the experience is great and despite the challenges I'll still prefer travel by rail than by road.
Many thanks for sharing your experience.

(1) (Reply)

Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs / How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise / London To Lagos Flight Delayed For Hours When Deportee Does The Unthinkable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.