Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise (2647 Views)

Lakowe Lakes - A Beautiful Paradise In Lagos / What Are My Chances Of Migrating To America / Lagitimate Process And Cost Of Migrating To Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Schonebaby: 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2017
Canada is famous as one of the world’s most visited place. With that, many immigrants were planning to go and work there because of its booming popularity and economy. But behind the numerous advantages brought by Canada to its foreign and local workers, there’s a dark secret which is soon to be revealed.
TORONTO: As I read the news this week about 257,515 people migrating to Canada in 2012, I had a chill running down my spine as I considered the fate of these immigrants who would have to start their job hunt the very next day of their arrival. Their imported money would soon run out and if they have to survive in this country, they will have to get a job quickly.Personally speaking, my family had a great life in Dubai. We managed to get a good education for our kids. My husband and I had satisfying jobs and a good bank balance thanks to our tax-free salaries.
Then suddenly, this Canada bug bit us as we did not want to return to India after working for about two decades in Dubai.
So we decided to apply for immigration to Canada. After a few years of waiting, we got our PR Cards. When we told our friends that we are going to settle in Canada, many of them warned us. They narrated horrific tales of new immigrants in Canada.
They warned us that highly skilled and experienced people, who have worked in managerial positions in Dubai or India, are working as cab drivers or factory workers in Canada. We were also told that even if you did get a job, you will have to work much below your professional rank, which will deeply hurt your ego and self esteem.
In fact, some friends suggested that we would be better off going back to India to the warmth of our family. But we suspected that they are fooling us and we paid no heed to their advice.
So in April 2009, we left Dubai and landed in Toronto to start a new life, against the wishes of these family friends. We were in a hurry to get back into our former profession. But it took me more than a couple of years to get a teaching license. Then I spent more money on upgrading my qualifications and membership fees. Then I had to do a lot of volunteer work as I waited and waited for a school job.
But nothing happened.
So here is my story: even after spending four years in Canada and upgrading my skills and using up all our savings, I am still without a job. Actually, this IS the story of thousands of fellow immigrants.
School boards are on perpetual strike. Teachers are being laid off. It is a very frightening situation for teachers. But the school boards keep training more and more teachers and making money!
Most of these teachers are jobless or they are doing jobs that pay them peanuts and kill their self-esteem.
My husband, who had three decades of work experience in construction in Dubai, was reduced to doing odd jobs which are not even worth mentioning.
Chasing this so-called Canadian dream, we have ended up using all our savings. We have already spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars to live a descent life, so that we will not lose the will to survive in this struggling country with no job prospects.
Having spent almost all our life savings, we don’t know what to do next – whether to stay here or go back. Our life is in a limbo.
My advice to people who are itching to migrate to Canada to give a better future to their children is this: Think hard before you take any decision and don’t fool yourself by painting a rosy picture in your head. You may end up working in factories, call centers, security agencies, Tim Horton’s or packing factories. You will lose your savings. Your will lose your morale and self-esteem. Tensions will destroy your marital and family life. Finally, if you are lucky enough, you may get an entry-level job and then pay someone else’s mortgage while living in their basement as you dream of buying your own little nest.
And buying your little nest in a hurry (with your saved money) could be your worst mistake, for God forbid if you are laid off, as it happened to my dear friend, who will pay the mortgage? Your house dream will collapse and you will be buried under it.
And if you do get a job – which most probably you won’t enjoy doing, but you will do it anyways to survive and pay the mortgage – you will end up wasting the prime of your life paying back the mortgage. It is not worth it, believe me.
Our struggle for survival continues to this day. We don’t know when we will wind up this fruitless venture and head back to India. This is the story of many immigrants to Canada.
(Due to privacy concerns and relentless pressure, the name of the author is changed)
Article via NewEastWest by Kwentong OFW

My people, How true is this article? My husband and I are planning to relocate to Canada. I plan to start my PhD there next fall and through that channel bring my husband. Up till now, I thought Canada would be better than US because of the ease of getting PR, but on the flipside......will it be a worthwhile move. Please I won't mind contributions. Thank you.
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Emperor119(m): 9:53pm On Jun 11, 2017
some1 should pls summarise dis novel
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by jayriginal: 11:07pm On Jun 11, 2017
Op, there are success stories and failures as well. It's not a one dimensional perspective even in the most prosperous countries.

However looking at the timeline, you will see that it's between 2009-2012 when the global recession made a mockery of strong economic power houses.

Take that into consideration.

6 Likes

Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by VEIL1234: 11:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
Dear Op, take your decisions and of course put in prayer and ask God for direction. What the writer failed to acknowledge is that in life there are good times and bad times. The good life they enjoyed in India and Dubai, didn't they realise there were also immigrants there that were suffering? Pls don't let anything deter you, make sure you have a plan, research well and most importantly take it to God in prayer!
Schonebaby:
Canada is famous as one of the world’s most visited place. With that, many immigrants were planning to go and work there because of its booming popularity and economy. But behind the numerous advantages brought by Canada to its foreign and local workers, there’s a dark secret which is soon to be revealed.
TORONTO: As I read the news this week about 257,515 people migrating to Canada in 2012, I had a chill running down my spine as I considered the fate of these immigrants who would have to start their job hunt the very next day of their arrival. Their imported money would soon run out and if they have to survive in this country, they will have to get a job quickly.Personally speaking, my family had a great life in Dubai. We managed to get a good education for our kids. My husband and I had satisfying jobs and a good bank balance thanks to our tax-free salaries.
Then suddenly, this Canada bug bit us as we did not want to return to India after working for about two decades in Dubai.
So we decided to apply for immigration to Canada. After a few years of waiting, we got our PR Cards. When we told our friends that we are going to settle in Canada, many of them warned us. They narrated horrific tales of new immigrants in Canada.
They warned us that highly skilled and experienced people, who have worked in managerial positions in Dubai or India, are working as cab drivers or factory workers in Canada. We were also told that even if you did get a job, you will have to work much below your professional rank, which will deeply hurt your ego and self esteem.
In fact, some friends suggested that we would be better off going back to India to the warmth of our family. But we suspected that they are fooling us and we paid no heed to their advice.
So in April 2009, we left Dubai and landed in Toronto to start a new life, against the wishes of these family friends. We were in a hurry to get back into our former profession. But it took me more than a couple of years to get a teaching license. Then I spent more money on upgrading my qualifications and membership fees. Then I had to do a lot of volunteer work as I waited and waited for a school job.
But nothing happened.
So here is my story: even after spending four years in Canada and upgrading my skills and using up all our savings, I am still without a job. Actually, this IS the story of thousands of fellow immigrants.
School boards are on perpetual strike. Teachers are being laid off. It is a very frightening situation for teachers. But the school boards keep training more and more teachers and making money!
Most of these teachers are jobless or they are doing jobs that pay them peanuts and kill their self-esteem.
My husband, who had three decades of work experience in construction in Dubai, was reduced to doing odd jobs which are not even worth mentioning.
Chasing this so-called Canadian dream, we have ended up using all our savings. We have already spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars to live a descent life, so that we will not lose the will to survive in this struggling country with no job prospects.
Having spent almost all our life savings, we don’t know what to do next – whether to stay here or go back. Our life is in a limbo.
My advice to people who are itching to migrate to Canada to give a better future to their children is this: Think hard before you take any decision and don’t fool yourself by painting a rosy picture in your head. You may end up working in factories, call centers, security agencies, Tim Horton’s or packing factories. You will lose your savings. Your will lose your morale and self-esteem. Tensions will destroy your marital and family life. Finally, if you are lucky enough, you may get an entry-level job and then pay someone else’s mortgage while living in their basement as you dream of buying your own little nest.
And buying your little nest in a hurry (with your saved money) could be your worst mistake, for God forbid if you are laid off, as it happened to my dear friend, who will pay the mortgage? Your house dream will collapse and you will be buried under it.
And if you do get a job – which most probably you won’t enjoy doing, but you will do it anyways to survive and pay the mortgage – you will end up wasting the prime of your life paying back the mortgage. It is not worth it, believe me.
Our struggle for survival continues to this day. We don’t know when we will wind up this fruitless venture and head back to India. This is the story of many immigrants to Canada.
(Due to privacy concerns and relentless pressure, the name of the author is changed)
Article via NewEastWest by Kwentong OFW

My people, How true is this article? My husband and I are planning to relocate to Canada. I plan to start my PhD there next fall and through that channel bring my husband. Up till now, I thought Canada would be better than US because of the ease of getting PR, but on the flipside......will it be a worthwhile move. Please I won't mind contributions. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by daamazing(m): 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2017
VEIL1234:
Dear Op, take your decisions and of course put in prayer and ask God for direction. What the writer failed to acknowledge is that in life there are good times and bad times. The good life they enjoyed in India and Dubai, didn't they realise there were also immigrants there that were suffering? Pls don't let anything deter you, make sure you have a plan, research well and most importantly take it to God in prayer!
Well said!
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Ekpekus(m): 4:28am On Jun 12, 2017
Research, Research and research!!!! There are always two sides of the coin. No doubt it will take some time for you to be fully settled howbeit wisdom is needed. Not working, even if it's a transition job, will definitely cost you your savings as stated in the story.
Another mistake the writer of the story made is trying to live the life they were living in Dubai in Canada.. This will drain your savings faster than you can imagine. I advise start small, understand how the system works here and spend from what you earn here w hike the savings you brought from your home country serves as emergency fund.
I know many that started small and today are living the Canadian dreAm.
Another thing is this, have an open mind. Yes, it might not be nice changing career pathway entirely but be ready to do that if events warrant same.
In conclusion, always remember destiny na per head, per head.. live your life without comparing or competing with others and most likely you will be satisfied.

#my2cents
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 12, 2017
Mynd44 day don break oh
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Schonebaby: 7:53am On Jun 12, 2017
Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate. The most horrendous thing that cld ever happen would be to finish a 4-5 year PhD stint and not be able to get a permanent stay, as could happen in the US. That's why we are seriously considering Canada.
Re: How True?: Don’t Make Mistake Of Migrating To Canada, It’s A Fool’s Paradise by Goldenboy007(m): 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2017
VEIL1234:

I couldn't have said this better ...fantastic summary !!! Life is what you make of it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The greenest pasture among English Speaking African Countries. / I Am From Germany, I Need Detail To Visit Southern Nigeria / A Swedish Man I Met Online Wants To Marry Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.