Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina (4733 Views)

Tinubu, Akande Made My Appointment Possible – Lawal, SGF / Tribunal Upholds Lam-Adesina And Olugbemi’s Election / I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by Ovularia: 5:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’

Saturday, 22 October 2011 00:00 BY DAMILOLA ADEKOYA Features - Policy & Politics

Dapo Lam-Adesina, Oyo State Commissioner for Youth and Sports and son of former governor of the state, Chief Lam Adesina, initially contested for the Ibadan North East/South East Federal Constituency seat in the April elections, which he lost. He spoke to DAMILOLA ADEKOYA in Ibadan on the controversy trailing his appointment, the experience so far and other sundry issues.

THERE have been some insinuations that your appointment as commissioner was primarily because of your father and not on merit?

How do we know when someone merits something? Firstly, I guess the governor and certain people that were with us at the retreat we attended with him were shocked at my performance that the governor had to speak about the reason he chose me.

The governor said he never picked me because of my father and that he has been justified with my performance on that day. He said as a man who has really worked with so many people, he knows when he sees good product. He said he made the right choice by making me the commissioner for youth and sports.

Notwithstanding, one cannot but ask why me out of millions of youths in the state? Everybody has a platform that you use to get things done. Maybe that was just the platform I used, but it was not like I relied solely on it. It was just God’s doing and the fact that the governor wanted me. If he didn’t pick me, the heavens will not fall.

Does the fact that your name was not on the first batch of the commissioner-nominees sent to the state House of Assembly not justify the claim that probably you didn’t really merit the position?

I am so sure the governor is a man of integrity. For him to have said that he knew the quality I was made up of, he knew what he was doing when he later chose me.

I have said it before that when I was chosen, it was the governor that called me on phone. If he had called my father, I would have rejected it.

When I finished my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme in Enugu State, my father got me a job in Lagos, but I turned it down and went into private business. I gave in to the governor’s offer because of the honour he accorded to me by calling me to inform me that he want to make me a commissioner. I believe that if I didn’t take up that position, no young person like me would be made a commissioner in the state, at least for now.

I feel it is not justifiable to think I didn’t merit the appointment.

How are you going about your duties as commissioner for Youths and Sports and what plans do you have for youths in the state?

Today, we have broken the jinx of having a youth heading the Youth and Sports ministry in Oyo State. We have always had adults or senior youths, as they called themselves, heading the ministry.

So far, we have been trying to do our best and in no distant time, people will begin to see what we have been able to do.

We are setting up a youth parliament in the state and about completing the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) permanent orientation camp at Iseyin. We intend to renovate the Adamasigba Stadium in Ibadan.

We are also looking into skill acquisition centres, youth development, youth centres and so on. People might not be able to speak about me now until when they start seeing these things done.

I came into the ministry with a four-point agenda, which include the re-orientation of our youths regarding the way some of them think and the kind of lifestyle they live. We need to bring back the culture that our fathers grew up with. We need to make the youths see that there is a future for them, if they don’t derail.

Secondly, we see a need for us to develop our youths through Information Technology (ICT) and other innovations.

In addition, we want to resuscitate and develop our infrastructural facilities, and improve on sports and recreation.

To achieve all these things, the ministry has been divided into the youths and sports sections. Basically, we are planning to have a mini stadium and youth resource centre in each of the zones in the state, where we will have study centres, sport arena and so on.

Talking about youth development, which is very paramount to us, we need to look at seminars, trainings, motivational talk shows, campaigns, awareness and empowerment of our dear youths. When we talk about youth empowerment, we mean provision of jobs for the young people.

Right now, we have started work on having a data base for undergraduates and very soon, there would be a sports scheme called jersey merchandise, where young people will sell jerseys of different clubs and be able to make some money from it.

Youths in the country have been linked to violence and crime and all manner of social vices. How do you think government can positively engage the youths?

The first thing we need to do is make ourselves as role models.

Also, we need to create jobs, like I said earlier; we need to make our youths skillfully employed.

We need to start discovering talents from the grassroots and those that have excelled in whatever they are doing.

I am also planning how we could start a quiz and debate competition and strengthen the match past programme because when our youths are busy with some of these things, the crime rate will reduce.

Instead of gunning for the House of Representatives, people believe you should have started by contesting for the local government election, so that you could garner some more experiences and that the post of commissioner is too big a dream for you?

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious and the beauty of anybody that wants to succeed in life is for you to be ambitious.

I never dreamt of becoming a commissioner; my dream was to be a member of the House of Representatives. I believe it takes the grace of God for you to succeed as a councilor or local government chairman, because the system does not favour people to succeed in those positions.

I felt the first thing to do is challenge the constitution of this country. We should have youth advocates, and better still, people that are passionate about this country in the National Assembly. The Nigerian Constitution must be amended and after that one can begin to think about becoming a local government chairman or councilor.

The perception of most people in and outside the state is that you are a spoilt son of a rich man who doesn’t know anything about governance. It was even rumored that your lifestyle during your father’s tenure as the governor was questionable. How is your reaction such insinuations?

I am very bold to say that I am not rich and all the things I have today are legally acquired.

Concerning my lifestyle, I have so many times challenged people with a proof to challenge me in public.

At a time it was rumored that I had a Lincoln Navigator. I have never entered a Lincon Navigator. All these things started from the time my father wanted to re-contest the governorship election and the dirty politics started springing up.

BY DAMILOLA ADEKOYA

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65067:my-appointment-was-based-on-merit-not-because-of-my-father&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607

Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by olawalebabs(m): 7:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
from the little NL interaction with mr commissioner, his passion for his people can't be deny, Also he truly merit the post, don't forget he aspire to be a member of the house of rep, though the appointment may have been aided by his father.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by ektbear: 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2011
lol.

homie is a bit delusional, or at least not being honest with himself

1 Like

Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by hercules07: 7:09am On Oct 23, 2011
The governor probably chose him because of his father and the passion he has, what he needs to do is perform and people will say that is Dapo and not that is the son of Lam Adesina.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 23, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy
stop deceiving yourself.you've got it, so have thousands of others.you would never have been allowed into that conference without that last name

1 Like

Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by 1luvkipsus: 3:50pm On Oct 24, 2011
stop deceiving yourself.you've got it, so have thousands of others.you would never have been allowed into that conference without that last name

Don't mind him,he probably thinks he's talking to kindergarden kids.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by Alxmyr(m): 10:36pm On Oct 25, 2011
Dude nobody get anything from ACN government without strong recommendation from the godfather.
So please spare us the 'merit' story!
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by phemieojelabi: 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
Dapo re u saying other do nt worth meritorious award.Guy let face d reality,There is no PLAYBOY in dis GAME anymore simply put ur dada is old n he dsav's 2 be compensated as an "OLD AD" NAIJA POLITRICKS.So pls save d "bla bla bla" tin 4 Kindergartens who just start by followin d Politicts trend of our Nation
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by Afam4eva(m): 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2012
I know this guy. He was on Nairaland once to tell us that he was contesting to enter the house of assembly i think.

if we look at it critically, we'll realize that most people that are appointed are appointed not based on merit but based on connections. That doesn't mean they don't merit it but there are thousands of people who also merit that particular job but were not given.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by bodejohn(m): 7:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
There were two appointments made by Ajimobi at the inception of his administration which if he did in good faith was worth appraising.
First was Depp's and the other was a man who had not more than a primary education.
On the two appointments although the later was thrown out by the PDP and LP combination in the house of assembly, I asked myself a question, would Ajimobi still have chosen these two problem if they had no link to politics or godfathers.
I graduated same set with Dapo in secondary school and I must say I have nothing against him as he was sort of well behaved as far as I know during our days back in Government College, Ibadan but I said would the governor had called him to be a commissioner if his father was not the Lam Adriana?
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by bodejohn(m): 7:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
There were two appointments made by Ajimobi at the inception of his administration which if he did in good faith was worth appraising.
First was Dapo's and the other was a man who had not more than a primary education.
On the two appointments although the later was thrown out by the PDP and LP combination in the house of assembly, I asked myself a question, would Ajimobi still have chosen these two problem if they had no link to politics or godfathers.
I graduated same set with Dapo in secondary school and I must say I have nothing against him as he was sort of well behaved as far as I know during our days back in Government College, Ibadan but I said earlier would the governor had called him to be a commissioner if his father was not the Lam Adriana?
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by otokx(m): 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
Is he afraid he will be sacked now that his father is dead?
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by ayinba1(f): 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
Old thread!
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by tpia1: 9:02pm On Nov 12, 2012
Oh, he's lam adesina's son?

Why are there no condolences to him on the death of his father?

You people should show some manners.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by tpia1: 9:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
otokx: Is he afraid he will be sacked now that his father is dead?

The thread is from last year, unless you're just trying to air your personal issues with him.
Re: ‘My Appointment Was Based On Merit, Not Because Of My Father’ - Dapo Lam-Adesina by otokx(m): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2012
tpia1:

The thread is from last year, unless you're just trying to air your personal issues with him.

oops my bad and i do not have personal issues with him

(1) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka To Appear On Sahara Tv, January 14th / 30% Equity Of NNPC To Be Sold To Nigerians / Day Ii : Biafra Million Man March Continues....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.