Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand (23810 Views)

Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record / New Zealand Adds Prostitution To List Of Employment Skills For Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Ahigbo1: 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2023
We all have our priorities... I'd advise you go for the PhD first, since you've started.
Attempt a dialogue of an extension of period with them in New Zealand. Perhaps it may be granted
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by PepeXKermit: 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.
Please help me. Tell me what may work in this situation.

You will be a fool to leave a phd to go and earn 30nzd which is probably 25 dollars per hour job in nz. You will also realize quickly that you are a low income earner and at the bottom of the food chain. How much be 30dollars? Momey wey helpdesk dey make per hour? Smh
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Patented: 3:31pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.

you need to do major research into the cost of living in NZ and see the possibility of continuing your academic pursuits there adn what it would take. that should provide you with the info to help make your decision. your decision should be based on data and not on the emotions of nairalanders.

meanwhile abeg how u take get the Job for NZ, show us way grin? for real oooo!!
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by ggood: 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2023
That's about 3.3M per month
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Zanzibar1: 3:37pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

1Nzd is equal to 59 cents.

New Zealand has the best atmosphere in the world.
The cleanest skies
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by id4sho(m): 3:37pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

1Nzd is equal to 59 cents.

Na good job oOoOO
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by BennyDGreat: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2023
YoungBlackRico:
NZD4800 per month. Weigh your options

That's about 2700+ USD
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by BennyDGreat: 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2023
extremelygolden:

I don't know about your school, but Unilag runs most of such programmes virtually. Many students that japa while still running their programmes, Unilag made them continue virtually, and even defended their projects virtually also. That's why I love Unilag. There are very flexible in some of these matters.

Please confirm from your school. There must be a way they should help, so you can kill these two beautiful birds with just a stone.
Don't forgo either for the other. First confide in your Course Advisor, let him/her tell you what to do. And above all, pray for God's divine direction.

Congratulations. I wish you success in all of your life's endeavour.

That's nice

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Yoighaman(m): 3:45pm On Oct 17, 2023
kaycome:
I wonder how people come online to ask question about their personal life or what they should do with their future. You're the one who can decide on what you want in life not counselors from social media. What do you want in life? What is your vision, purpose of living etc? These are ways you make a well thought decision about your future. Not everyone will japa. Some will succeed here in Nigeria. So decide and and stop disturbing people who does know your gender, family, background, education, religion etc with all these kind of question. Very soon people will start asking whether they should brush their teeth before going to bed or not since they will do so the next morning. Funny folks Lol

We all seek counsel, whether online or offline, to help take decisions in life; if you cannot or will not advise the OP, why not just ignore his post?

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by tnerro1(m): 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2023
Bros, run oooo
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Marynwachukwu21(f): 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2023
Complete your PhD first
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Sirchiboy: 3:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

I just need 100k from you to do my school clearance
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by winner37(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2023
Oga ,remember that PhD you are running after other people had ran and catched the PhD and it seems meaningless for them now ..
Why not moving probably gain more experience ?

Me where I the field where to put head before my passport expires and you are seeking advice..Nigeria will soon collapse,just the Play...
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Raylight2(m): 3:54pm On Oct 17, 2023
Wujio:
Calculate new zealand currency to see its real value. Not all dollars is weighty
If 1NZD = 59 cent. 30NZD would be 17.7 USD. if he works 8hrs a day, he gets 141 USD and in a month gets 4390 USD (assuming he decides to work everyday). 4390 USD * 1000 NGN = 4,390,000 a month. I go pause the PhD or leave it and do another one there in 3years.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Iluvmycontr3: 4:02pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

There's a special way of ease that I usually take when climbing the ladder of success.

1. Don't rush things if you ain't too stressed where you are presently.

2. Don't abandon your PH.D progm if it's not too stressful to run it.

3. Abroad or western world ain't running.

4. Education is key anyday, so you are almost there. Your journey rewards and easy life will soon start.

5. 1 Nzd equals 59cent according to someone here, which can easily be checked too, (100cents = 1 USD), and that means you will be earning abt 15 USD per hour there in New Zealand, ( this amount is minimum wage for unskilled labourers in the U.S. and even in Germany when converted both both currencies), so it is not as tho it's that much.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Iqtest: 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2023
stevups:

I have a friend there. The place is okay. The standard of living is one of the best in the world. Just that it's very cold.
Tbh the weather there is mild, it's gives the south Africa vibes. I think the weather is okay.
Unless your friend lives in southern new Zealand which is a bit cold.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by d142475: 4:13pm On Oct 17, 2023
Go to New Zealand. The quality of life is better there. If you're married, you'd give your wife and kids the opportunity of growing up in a society that values human life and human flourishing. If you're not married, you'd get married and raise children in a sane society that values their lives and help them flourish.
As for the Phd, you'd live in a society that gives you options. You can keep your job and do a part time Phd program or even a full time online program. In this way, you get to kill two birds with a stone. And if you love Nigeria so much, you can return after some years, by which time you would have saved up some money, developed yourself, and probably had citizenship or permanent residence ( which will give you a lot of flexibility and options going forward).
If you asked me, I'd advise you to go to New Zealand brother.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by bigsyke: 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Jump at it.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Dubetex96(m): 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2023
sageb:

Move to New Zealand now, later you can get a fully funded PhD scholarship abroad.
Leave Agbado kingdom before it gets worse 😂

omoh this one got me rolling on the floor

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Jollydey: 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2023
Stayed where u better Japa if u love urself
Let me ask u simple question please?
Between hell fire or heaven which one u prefer
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Judolisco(m): 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

baba move oh.... Drop hint as u take get d job abeg
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by PoliticalChinex(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Part of the reason for asking is that I don't know this country that much other than it is really down the earth. I've dug up details about it. But is it a nice place to live in? I would appreciate real experiences from Nairalanders.

Guy move to NZ asap. thats a highly developed country just like the US. With lots of opportunities. Dont allow village people decieve u
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by cedricksly: 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Part of the reason for asking is that I don't know this country that much other than it is really down the earth. I've dug up details about it. But is it a nice place to live in? I would appreciate real experiences from Nairalanders.
will be one of the best decision you will make... Yes new Zealand is very far but the standard of living is way too good, can't even compare it with the US. first talk to your supervisor and discuss with him if it is possible to present your thesis in absential... I have just one question for you. After PHD what next?? Lecturing job? That the pay is nothing before now, and even gone worse compared to the recent standard of living...
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Pootle: 4:30pm On Oct 17, 2023
seeking advice from people wey never even near seme undecided
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by IJEYdiamond(f): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2023
lanre316:

99.9% of those stories are lies. They just for social media entertainment. No person will functional brain will ask and take career advice from anonymous complete strangers online.

How una dey get these jobs. ..... Please share the link....
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by kingjoe(m): 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

please give me the link to get a job in new Zealand.
I am also in the same boat with you as I am doing my PhD too.
I will first travel and weigh my options.
Either get a scholarship and start afresh .or after a year come back and round off depending on various factors.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by pharmbayo(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2023
Can you please share update on how you got the Job? You still dey reason Nigeria PHD for this period...I bought a litreof Fuel for #620 today....You better move
Middleborn:

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by aktolly54(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

sorry which visa did you use to get job in NZ? You mind shedding more light on how to apply for such visa. NZ is peaceful like Australia,just take a move and go there or Australia if you want
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by DiamondPant(f): 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

At current official exchange rate, 30 NZD = 13,543.31
If work for 8 hours a day (9 am - 5 pm), that gives you 108,346.48 a day.
Multiply that by 22 working days a month and you have 2, 383, 622.56 before tax.
The decision is now yours to make.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by TLE900: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2023
I will advise you go to newzealand. Give me link abeg
Middleborn:

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Majesty7: 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Ask Google.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Majesty7: 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2023
DiamondPant:

At current official exchange rate, 30 NZD = 13,543.31
If work for 8 hours a day (9 am - 5 pm), that gives you 108,346.48 a day.
Multiply that by 22 working days a month and you have 2, 383, 622.56 before tax.
The decision is now yours to make.

And you believed that guy? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biodun Adedeji Hammed's Lost Travel Documents And Tickets Found / Lagos International Airport Plunged Into Darkness As Passenger Board (Video) / Hadi Sirika: Nigeria Air Will Consider China's C919 Planes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.