Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,754 members, 7,831,417 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand (23814 Views)

Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record / New Zealand Adds Prostitution To List Of Employment Skills For Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mcslize: 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2023
cl0r0x:
NZD/JPY tongue

NZDUSD 😜 Ntor!

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mcslize: 10:09pm On Oct 17, 2023
spiSeyi:

New Zealand is a nice place to be and it's mostly underrated NZ is better than Canada cool

I am telling you. Way better. And their unemployment rate is very low. You can't be jobless in New Zealand. Jobs choke as far as one is in the country legally. Na u go run from work. Work plenty there and in Australia.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Litmus: 10:26pm On Oct 17, 2023
cjudy:
Run to New Zealand. Don’t look back please

If he looked back sef he won't see anything, New Zealand is so far away it's lost to the world and the world is lost to it.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by tiwasiaife(m): 10:51pm On Oct 17, 2023
Op if you have finished your course work, you can move to New Zealand and complete your thesis and everything using zoom.
Oh! I forgot u are dealing with Analog lecturers who sees technology as a crime.
They want to havenu around carrying their briefcase.
Better go to New Zealand and be recharging ur supervisor with enough data and do ur things online.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by MeineMutter: 12:17am On Oct 18, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.
Please help me. Tell me what may work in this situation.

In case your purported ‘employment letter’ is reading anything CRICKET on it, my brother, flee. Na scammmm.

Even if it didn’t read any crickets, there is 99% chance that it is those letters from our boys in Southy in connivance with some Indian guys.

It is tough getting job from outside New Zealand.

New Zealand prefers hiring Malaysians and Indonesian and people from the Oceanian countries to hiring Nigerians.

Don’t pay anybody any money. Otherwise, so pe o ti lo.

Did you apply to any job? Were you interviewed? Were you told to appear at any sew Zealand mission abroad or its representatives for your biometrics and visa issuance?

Don’t believe in that cable visa someone sent to you.

The barcode generated on it may be for another person. Try and scan it, even if it reads your data, it is generated online.

There are free websites where they generate these types of barcodes with your data and then super-impose it on the cable visa being sent to you.
Please be warned.

To be on a safer side, take a copy of the visa to any embassy representing New Zealand in Nigeria.

I don talk my own o.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by chiboycue: 2:24am On Oct 18, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.

Congratulations. if I were you I would abandon the PhD programme and japa to New Zealand. You can start another PHD programme at New Zealand if that is your heart desire. At least you are sure that life in New Zealand would be better than life in Nigeria
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Ollytblex(m): 3:24am On Oct 18, 2023
Think9ja:
Some people go just decide on a very good day to come nairaland come choke us with their achievements in the name of seeking advice.

If no be 1M job for naija, E go be visa or scholarship to Moon. E go come make you begin think like say na look you come this world come look.

E go better

God no go shame us

My advice is to join the Nigeria Army and work your posting to Sambisa.

I been dey reason am too...I dey even dey think if na me no dey serious with my life..
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by FRANKOSKI(m): 5:23am On Oct 18, 2023
THAT'S 13550 NAIRA PER HOUR !
U KNOW YOURSELF SHA
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Judybash93(m): 5:42am On Oct 18, 2023
Bruv! Leave immediately
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Evesoplc(m): 6:18am On Oct 18, 2023
tiwasiaife:
Op if you have finished your course work, you can move to New Zealand and complete your thesis and everything using zoom.
Oh! I forgot u are dealing with Analog lecturers who sees technology as a crime.
They want to havenu around carrying their briefcase.
Better go to New Zealand and be recharging ur supervisor with enough data and do ur things online.

If I was in your shoe, this is one of the things I would do. Secondly,
You can start afresh after you resumed your job. PhD students can work full time in NZ. PhD Admission is quite easy if you have a sound proposal and potential supervisor. Most schools have scholarship consideration in their application process. I got PhD admission with Auckland University of Technology in 2020 without funding because of Covid-19 wahala
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Evesoplc(m): 6:22am On Oct 18, 2023
omolola12345:
Discuss with your supervisor first but If I were in your shoes if I did not get positive feedback from my supervisor I will pack my load and leave for Netherland. You know what happening in this country presently.

I would say this depends on your prior relationship with supervisor and other staff in your Dept.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Evesoplc(m): 6:27am On Oct 18, 2023
PepeXKermit:

You will be a fool to leave a phd to go and earn 30nzd which is probably 25 dollars per hour job in nz. You will also realize quickly that you are a low income earner and at the bottom of the food chain. How much be 30dollars? Momey wey helpdesk dey make per hour? Smh

You are correct and wrong.

If OP knows what he's doing, moving to NZ is the right call. He can work, get a PhD (naija or NZ) and be better for it.

I mentioned my near-NZ experience in another comment. I have 2 classmates with PhDs working in NZ. it's an underrated country far far away.

OP, Never let the fear of the unknown weigh you down.

Plan yourself very well, you'll be alright
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Omoshola0503: 6:50am On Oct 18, 2023
Weigh your options and pick the right choice. Meanwhile you can now get the lastest Oraimo spacepods.

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by femijck(m): 8:16am On Oct 18, 2023
An employer needs to pay a minimum of $29.66/hr for you to qualify for an essential work visa here in NZ which I believe might be your visa category. This visa category means you can only work for that employer and can't do any other job legally except under tables which I won't recommend . However because of the condition attached to this visa category , some employers do exploit their employees which is also illegal for them to do. Employees have rights here.

$30 is not a lot in NZ but it's a good start especially if the job offers a pathway to residency which in your case, I really doubt because of your $30 rate.

NZ is one of the most expensive country to live in. Your weekly take home would be around $950/week. A decent 2 bedroom will cost between $520 - $650/ wk In Auckland and maybe another $120/wk on food weekly. Sharing a flat with other strangers will cost you between 220-270/week. A single room studio can cost up to $400/week

So do the math and see if you can save enough on that rate to justify your decision.

However, you don't need Ph.D to succeed in a functioning country. Don't be surprise when you find out your manager or CEO don't even have a masters degree.

Consider your options carefully. If you can finish your Ph.D remotely or even put it on hold temporarily. With enough effort and orientation, you can change the visa category in a few years and you will be on your way to having one of the most respected Passport in this world.

My cent.

Also NZ $$$ is not Zimbabwe $$$
Today's rate is NZD 1 = NGN 617.

SHALOM!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by TheOmoney(m): 9:39am On Oct 18, 2023
Middleborn:

Part of the reason for asking is that I don't know this country that much other than it is really down the earth. I've dug up details about it. But is it a nice place to live in? I would appreciate real experiences from Nairalanders.

How well do you know Nigeria?
You survived here from childhood....every other place would be child's play.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by mikeapollo: 10:20am On Oct 18, 2023
Middleborn:

The 30NZD is about 18USD per hour, which is more than N18,000 per hour. Eight (cool hours per day in 22 days makes more than N3m per month.
My friend, go to New Zealand, work for 2-3 years to settle down and apply for a PhD with scholarship.
With good records in NZ, you can easily acquire the right status that would enable you travel easily across the world and possibly relocate to another country e.g. Australia, Canada, US etc.
Don't waste the opportunity!
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by JohnOgbons: 10:42am On Oct 18, 2023
It's ok to be at such a crossroad. I am also in the academia and doing a PhD like you. The question is after the PhD, what would be your monthly take-home pay? If you are a Lecturer II, you will probably earn between 135k-140k. If you are Lecturer I, you will earn between 160k-165k. Even if you are crowned a professor after the PhD, you may not likely get up to 400k/month. Consider how long it will take you to become a Professor.

New Zealand is as good as Australia. As a matter of fact, if you become a citizen in New Zealand, you will have access to loads of privileges in Australia. Currently, the Australian dollar exchanges for #640 at the black market. The New Zealand currency is also that strong. In New Zealand, you are likely to get a scholarship, and if you don't get, you will pay same fee as the domestic students.

I didn't accept a job offer in the UK after my masters because I wanted to come home and serve out my bond. That was a huge mistake I made. As a fellow comrade, I expected that by now you should be at the airport leaving this country, unless your village people are at work.

Oya! Pack your things and leave.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by KingLion007(m): 10:58am On Oct 18, 2023
Think9ja:
Some people go just decide on a very good day to come nairaland come choke us with their achievements in the name of seeking advice.

If no be 1M job for naija, E go be visa or scholarship to Moon. E go come make you begin think like say na look you come this world come look.

E go better

God no go shame us

My advice is to join the Nigeria Army and work your posting to Sambisa. Let the Jobless breath

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by kcbaba007: 11:32am On Oct 18, 2023
Oga.... Jaaapaaaa
Go and kwantinu your PhD there
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by investigator007: 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2023
Hmmm, it's your choice las las o, but personally I'll accept the job offer and move, you can always run your PhD in New Zealand
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by giftiy(m): 1:42pm On Oct 18, 2023
Apply for a sick leave of absence
Then move to new Zealand,after a month or two you can tell if you want to come back or not.
Middleborn:

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by shoprite: 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2023
Middleborn:

1Nzd is equal to 59 cents.

This is not true . . .1NZD is about 450NGN
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by peze: 12:22am On Oct 27, 2023
This is the correct and true picture of living and working in New Zealand! I hope OP finds this detailed explanation very helpful in finalizing his decision. Thank you Sir Femi for all you do!
femijck:
An employer needs to pay a minimum of $29.66/hr for you to qualify for an essential work visa here in NZ which I believe might be your visa category. This visa category means you can only work for that employer and can't do any other job legally except under tables which I won't recommend . However because of the condition attached to this visa category , some employers do exploit their employees which is also illegal for them to do. Employees have rights here.

$30 is not a lot in NZ but it's a good start especially if the job offers a pathway to residency which in your case, I really doubt because of your $30 rate.

NZ is one of the most expensive country to live in. Your weekly take home would be around $950/week. A decent 2 bedroom will cost between $520 - $650/ wk In Auckland and maybe another $120/wk on food weekly. Sharing a flat with other strangers will cost you between 220-270/week. A single room studio can cost up to $400/week

So do the math and see if you can save enough on that rate to justify your decision.

However, you don't need Ph.D to succeed in a functioning country. Don't be surprise when you find out your manager or CEO don't even have a masters degree.

Consider your options carefully. If you can finish your Ph.D remotely or even put it on hold temporarily. With enough effort and orientation, you can change the visa category in a few years and you will be on your way to having one of the most respected Passport in this world.

My cent.

Also NZ $$$ is not Zimbabwe $$$
Today's rate is NZD 1 = NGN 617.

SHALOM!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by ceeugo: 4:49am On Nov 13, 2023
$10,576.27 monthly 😒 question?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hadi Sirika: Nigeria Air Will Consider China's C919 Planes / Uber: 10 Facts You Probably Never Knew / ABSU Graduate Crushed To Death After Falling Off From A Bike. Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.