Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? (1815 Views)

Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand / Please Can I Take My Finance To Canada As A Master Student / How Much Is The Minimum Amount To Run Masters Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 4:58am On Dec 09, 2021
Please travel guru's in the house, I need your clarification on the below questions!

1. As a master degree holder in Statistics and wishes to apply for my PhD in a school in Canada or US. is it advisable to apply for PHd or rather apply for another masters degree program, plus what is the acceptable grade?

I am actually confused because a friend of mine was telling me it is not advisable and that what is the point of applying for a 2 to 3 years program that i won't be having enough time to process my permanent residence.

2. If i am to apply for a program, which of the country is best to go for considering the cost of tuition and living?

3. Any idea on best choice for affordable institutions. If possible a free tuition school?

4. I hear a lot of persons talking about assistantship fund, is it same as scholarship. please how do one assess that?

Thank you and best regards as I await your kind suggestions

Justmellow makano

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:41am On Dec 09, 2021
It's better to apply for PhD for funding

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 8:43am On Dec 09, 2021
horlahsunbo225:
It's better to apply for PhD for funding

Please any idea on the institution, country and procedure. Thank you
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:48am On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Please any idea on the institution, country and procedure. Thank you
What's your CGPA
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 8:55am On Dec 09, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

What's your CGPA

3.4/5CGPA
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by horlahsunbo225(m): 10:41am On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

3.4/5CGPA
Kinda low
How good is masters CGPA
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

Kinda low
How good is masters CGPA

The 3.4CGPA is for the masters. My first degree was 3.2CGPA
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by horlahsunbo225(m): 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Do you've any research experience ?

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by adejoro1988(m): 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2021
what of 57% cgpa at master for History and International studies. Can I further for the ph.d in any European country?
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Your cgpa is low ooo.

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2021
Ninisun:

Your cgpa is low ooo.

Does this imply that I can't apply for a masters or Phd program with it?
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Does this imply that I can't apply for a masters or Phd program with it?

If it's here, you have to undergo a one year pre... before you start the Phd. It's okay for masters but hope you have work experience for both programmes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 7:15pm On Dec 09, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

Do you've any research experience ?

Yes I do, I have worked as Research Assistant (Data Enumerator) in the past
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 7:34pm On Dec 09, 2021
Ninisun:

If it's here, you have to undergo a one year pre... before you start the Phd. It's okay for masters but hope you have work experience for both programmes.

Ordinarily, if am to run a PhD program in Nigeria with such grade, i will have to apply for a program called M phil first.

Though I don't have any plans of doing so in Nigeria.
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by horlahsunbo225(m): 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Yes I do, I have worked as Research Assistant (Data Enumerator) in the past
If you've published paper and good GRE, you can use it to boost your profile to get admission into a PhD
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

Ordinarily, if am to run a PhD program in Nigeria with such grade, i will have to apply for a program called M phil first.

Though I don't have any plans of doing so in Nigeria.

I know there's one year programme bf the PhD but some schools don't run it. Have some publications and work experience o.

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2021
Ninisun:

I know there's one year programme bf the PhD but some schools don't run it. Have some publications and work experience o.

The one year program you're talking about is it done in Nigeria or in US?
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 09, 2021
Teejay13:

The one year program you're talking about is it done in Nigeria or in US?

Here but you might still need to do it outside the country. Most schools run free tuition fee for PhD and so one has to merit it academically/professionally.

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 2:43am On Dec 10, 2021
Ninisun:

Here but you might still need to do it outside the country. Most schools run free tuition fee for PhD and so one has to merit it academically/professionally.

Don't think i wanna invest anymore cash on academics in Nigeria. I feel like schooling in Nigeria is like investment without gain.

I wish I could get other viable option though, regardless of school in as much as it is in Europe
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 10, 2021
Teejay13:

Don't think i wanna invest anymore cash on academics in Nigeria. I feel like schooling in Nigeria is like investment without gain.

I wish I could get other viable option though, regardless of school in as much as it is in Europe

Look for Master's scholarships

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 1:13pm On Dec 10, 2021
Ninisun:

Look for Master's scholarships

Thanks, I shall do that
Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by niyogeol(m): 2:02pm On Dec 10, 2021
Hello Teejay13,

I saw your query and I felt to contribute given my knowledge on the subject matter.

Don’t take this to heart but you don’t seem to have the curiosity for someone looking to study abroad. Please note that this is not an indication that you are not academically qualified.

Going by your post, there is no glimpse from your write up to show you have done any findings on your own concerning the road you want to travel. This is not good enough. More so when you already have a graduate degree. Graduate degree should improve your skills like critical thinking, decision making and more importantly ability to research. I hope this fires you to become more curious to hunt for information and knowledge using the vast resources on the internet.

Back to your question. You are in the best position to answer it yourself. Why have I said this? Because you know what your aspirations are for the future. It is the aspiration that will drive you towards any decision you will be making. On the whether MSc or PhD. I would advise you can hunt for either depending on how you feel with acquiring more education. While you can settle for whichever comes with funding. In addition, given your background in Statistics, I would urge you to go for something in Data Science.

With this said, PhD or MSc are means to an end and never an end to a means. So ask yourself what is the goal again. Is it to leave Naija or to learn skills that fit into a bigger goal?

Nairaland is a good place to start for researching studying abroad as many people have done that in different countries of the world and have consequently shared their experiences which serves as a guide on how others can achieve the same feat. So take time to read! It will help you more than you can imagine.

Again, study abroad is expensive if one doesn’t get scholarship or funding. The USA has the most funding options for international students. But like many who have replied you have said, you might need to write the GRE to get such funds.

On the flip side, you can pursue Canada Express Entry. Albeit the most straightforward way to immigrate especially for someone who doesn’t have the millions to pay tuition in many advanced countries.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? by Teejay13(m): 3:05pm On Dec 10, 2021
niyogeol:
Hello Teejay13,

I saw your query and I felt to contribute given my knowledge on the subject matter.

Don’t take this to heart but you don’t seem to have the curiosity for someone looking to study abroad. Please note that this is not an indication that you are not academically qualified.

Going by your post, there is no glimpse from your write up to show you have done any findings on your own concerning the road you want to travel. This is not good enough. More so when you already have a graduate degree. Graduate degree should improve your skills like critical thinking, decision making and more importantly ability to research. I hope this fires you to become more curious to hunt for information and knowledge using the vast resources on the internet.

Back to your question. You are in the best position to answer it yourself. Why have I said this? Because you know what your aspirations are for the future. It is the aspiration that will drive you towards any decision you will be making. On the whether MSc or PhD. I would advise you can hunt for either depending on how you feel with acquiring more education. While you can settle for whichever comes with funding. In addition, given your background in Statistics, I would urge you to go for something in Data Science.

With this said, PhD or MSc are means to an end and never an end to a means. So ask yourself what is the goal again. Is it to leave Naija or to learn skills that fit into a bigger goal?

Nairaland is a good place to start for researching studying abroad as many people have done that in different countries of the world and have consequently shared their experiences which serves as a guide on how others can achieve the same feat. So take time to read! It will help you more than you can imagine.

Again, study abroad is expensive if one doesn’t get scholarship or funding. The USA has the most funding options for international students. But like many who have replied you have said, you might need to write the GRE to get such funds.

On the flip side, you can pursue Canada Express Entry. Albeit the most straightforward way to immigrate especially for someone who doesn’t have the millions to pay tuition in many advanced countries.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Hi niyogeol,

Thank you very much for your contribution

I shall consider your option by personally carrying out more research.

For the GRE, any idea on a center I could apply for in Abuja and range will be greatly appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

Easy Guide To Find Cheap Umrah Package In 2023 / Pls Recommend A Good Country For Me / Need Dubai Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.