Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree (15737 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / 3 Former Governors Receive Operational Licenses To Float Universities / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by dfrost: 9:52am On Oct 16, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:

ICAN is a professional institute. Let's not bring it into the discussion as the Bsc/hnd issue is about academic differentials. A B.sc accounting borrows courses and is more extensive in scope than an hnd accounting. A Bsc accounting would take mandatory courses in law, economics, philosophy, psychology, sociology, computer science, public administration/pol science, management, and do on. The aim is to develop a complete professional proficient in fields that are, outside of but relate to, financial management as a whole. I[b]n Poly, did you do all of these?[/b] I feel Poly focuses on training technicians. Even the sophistication of the learning content and instruction varies across the two

When in doubt chief, ask questions. I have people that went through the polytechnic system of education and I saw their lecture notes. They had borrowed courses from the ones you listed.

law - polytechnics do this
economics - polytechnics do this
philosophy, psychology - I can't say of this one. Modified: - polytechnics do this see proof below.
sociology - polytechnics do this
computer science - polytechnics do this
public administration/pol science - polytechnics do this
management - polytechnics do this

OlujobaSamuel:

Yes, I did psychology.

I give it to polytechnic students who also did BSc. I really admire their courage, I really do. The peer pressure pushed them beyond their limit.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by generalud: 9:56am On Oct 16, 2023
In any organisation, there must he a head. How many Professors are teaching in a Polytechnic? How many Ph. D holders are also teaching in a Polytechnic? These are some of the questions a sensible person needs to answer before giving judgement.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by dfrost: 9:57am On Oct 16, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Yes, a HND Accounting will do all those listed courses you mentioned.
I remember doing Physics and Chemistry sef.
Except you have an encounter you won't really know their scope of study.
If you run a WES evaluation, it will equate it, that's why people go to US schools for Msc without any top up program.

Na where person limit e self, na their e knowledge stop. I love your response to him. Education without application is a waste.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Omolomo4eva(m): 10:07am On Oct 16, 2023
Bad belle pipu
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by themanderon: 10:07am On Oct 16, 2023
If Nigeria was a fucntional society this question should not even arise. Both universities and polytechnics have their own functions which should not be usurped. Is the degree certificate equivalent to the diploma certificate in civilized countries?
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 10:08am On Oct 16, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Yes, a HND Accounting will do all those listed courses you mentioned.
I remember doing Physics and Chemistry sef.
Except you have an encounter you won't really know their scope of study.
If you run a WES evaluation, it will equate it, that's why people go to US schools for Msc without any top up program.

But they will always ask for your initial or first degree. Na where employers go nail you be that
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 10:10am On Oct 16, 2023
themanderon:
If Nigeria was a fucntional society this question should not even arise. Both universities and polytechnics have their own functions which should not be usurped. Is the degree certificate equivalent to the diploma certificate in civilized countries?

Definitely not.... That is why I always laugh at some people saying all types of crap in Nigeria.

IVY league universities dey America and some people from Nigeria want to go and argue with them

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Onuoha1234(m): 10:17am On Oct 16, 2023
We are| still mentally enslaved.The British abolished Politechnic long long ago but we ,still enjoy feudalism master and servant Every Tertiary Educatio! Must be Degree from now on.That solved it. No more playing by NASS..
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by mkoabiola: 10:17am On Oct 16, 2023
Too many comments disparaging hnd holders

SMH

So sad
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Andrenalin: 10:17am On Oct 16, 2023
Isobug:

Probably, you didn't attend a polytechnic. Allow us that attended both Polytechnic and University to attest. How can you say polytechnic modules are slim compared to University. Perhaps they loaded you with extreneous materials in your university.
I studied Met and Mat Engineering in polytechnic and went on to start afresh for Pharmacy in University. No much difference between both. Just envious discrimination

Pharmacy, that is a wow….

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by IamANigerianMan: 10:20am On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

Mr. HND, who forced you to go to poly?

Was it his fault that you failed to meet up with the higher requirements and academic progress required to graduate from a superior academic institution?
I don't have issue with your thinking, I have over 200 videos on YouTube, I have trained industries , companies in graphic(Photoshop and Corel draw) , HTML, CSS, JavaScript , PHP etc ... Oga ,BSC tell me what you have done?
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Simeonjoe1: 10:23am On Oct 16, 2023
jaxin119:
One year crash programme is not sufficient enough to cover the extremely detailed course outline of the average university modules. Polytechnic course outline is very slim/limited and designed for middle level manpower.

That is how the GEJ's administration made a strategic mistake by introducing girls into the Nigerian Defence Academy resulting to reduced level of military training accross board. Today the result is the production of tiktok officers and excessive dead of officers and men in the North East.

That's a good move girls deserve to be in the NDA and yes he'll have a less physical requirement than their male counterparts but equal mental and educational qualifications.

Same way girls are exempted in the field of science but we've seen women accomplish great things either in medicine, physics, engineering and computer.
NDA is no exception
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by BigBlackPreek(m): 10:23am On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

Na lie...

I was studying engineering in both polytechnic and university at the same time. There approaches are not the same and the curriculum are not the same
really??
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by OlujobaSamuel: 10:24am On Oct 16, 2023
dfrost:

When in doubt chief, ask questions. I have people that went through the polytechnic system of education and I saw their lecture notes. They had borrowed courses from the ones you listed.

law - polytechnics do this
economics - polytechnics do this
philosophy, psychology - I can't say of this one
sociology - polytechnics do this
computer science - polytechnics do this
public administration/pol science - polytechnics do this
management - polytechnics do this

I give it to polytechnic students who also did BSc. I really admire their courage, I really do. The peer pressure pushed them beyond their limit.
Yes, I did psychology.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Simeonjoe1: 10:31am On Oct 16, 2023
BigDawsNet:
My advice for potential higher institutions students right now is that kukuma just focus on University now...

Thank God University is easy to gain addmission now.. you will see schools requesting, 180, 190, even some private 140 ... in our own time... to study Computer science Bsc.. you must have atleast 240 in jamb.. so now I belive the young once hav more opportunity now... so go to Universities unless its your personal choice to study in Polytechnic..

Polytechnic has its own advantage tho.. as you will be train technically

The lies we keep on regurgitating. Train technically how?
We always say polytechnic student are more technically train but uni are theoretical. Where's the proof for this assertions?
Have you been to a poly lab before? Do you know the thousands of students in a single department in many poly? Or is it the IT system? Cause uni do it too.

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by OlujobaSamuel: 10:37am On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

But they will always ask for your initial or first degree. Na where employers go nail you be that
I will definitely say BSc because I have both. If you are in US, employer is interested in the discipline not how it is called.
A four years program is seen as a degree or equivalent.
There was nothing like HND from beginning, what we had was National Diploma Plus 1yr IT which would have qualified you for an Associate Degree, thus getting admission into 200/300 level to qualify for a full Degree.

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by BigDawsNet: 10:42am On Oct 16, 2023
Simeonjoe1:

The lies we keep on regurgitating. Train technically how?
We always say polytechnic student are more technically train but uni are theoretical. Where's the proof for this assertions?
Have you been to a poly lab before? Do you know the thousands of students in a single department in many poly? Or is it the IT system? Cause uni do it too.

Don't be saying wot u don't actually know.. No single department in a Polytechnic will give out addmission to a thousand students...

Be coming down.. hav you attended a Polytechnic before?.. we have over 300+ in the country.. how many hav you visited??..
In Polytechnic you get trained theoretical and practical wise.. I studied both in Polytechnic and graduated in the Uni... in the Uni majorly they gave you task to source out and make your own research.. in Polytechnic they teach you like a baby.. they train you like you working as an apprentice..
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 10:57am On Oct 16, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
really??

Yes
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 10:59am On Oct 16, 2023
IamANigerianMan:

I don't have issue with your thinking, I have over 200 videos on YouTube, I have trained industries , companies in graphic(Photoshop and Corel draw) , HTML, CSS, JavaScript , PHP etc ... Oga ,BSC tell me what you have done?

I have degree and masters. That is what I have done.

Even secondary school leavers have Corel Draw, youtube videos etc
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by IamANigerianMan: 11:24am On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

I have degree and masters. That is what I have done.

Even secondary school leavers have Corel Draw, youtube videos etc
I am asking you what is your contribution to the society ? I can never brag over paper nonsense .
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 11:48am On Oct 16, 2023
IamANigerianMan:

I am asking you what is your contribution to the society ? I can never brag over paper nonsense .

How can you brag over what you don't have

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by eteebanky: 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2023
Judolisco:
Top up programs dat is being run my many universities?

Yes

The legal one is

6 semesters in two years
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Judolisco(m): 12:33pm On Oct 16, 2023
eteebanky:

Yes

The legal one is

6 semesters in two years
Ok... Dis one is for a year... They didn't make consultations
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by sirqeeboi(m): 12:38pm On Oct 16, 2023
ccrazy:
I was busy explaining dielectrics, conductivity, pigeons on the red phase 240 volts low tension cable, how electrocution kills and the difference between voltage and current to one technician, the flabbergasting surprise in his face made me proud studying as an engineer.

Make everybody dey their lane, I was lucky to go through a polytechnic before university, there is no way we are learning same thing, then there was no way I could compete with a unizik student in calculus, so clear distinctions should be made.

I can diagnose a problem theoretically without getting dirty, a technician will need to get dirty with guesses or with years of experience to get to my level.

imagine where I served as an apprentice for years with my theory. NA DIE!

They are talking about technologist(HND) here not technicians(ND) a technician maybe flabbergasted with what you saying but not a technologist and doesn't have to get himself dirty before he can detect or diagnose a problem.

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by dfrost: 12:38pm On Oct 16, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Yes, I did psychology.

ehen... lo batan. I didn't what to postulate what I don't know. Thanks for adding that. Let me go and modify and add your comment.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by IamANigerianMan: 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

How can you brag over what you don't have
I have but for your information , it is still paper nonsense
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by sirqeeboi(m): 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2023
sexiestharam:

Hope you are aware that you need to have a PGD to qualify for an MBA with an HND qualification?

That not true even in Nigeria you don't need PGD for MBA Even in first generation university here except for Msc
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Riversstate: 12:52pm On Oct 16, 2023
stuffs2002:

On the ground that the quality of education in polytechnic is far low. one year in university is equivalent to two years in polytechnic.

Says who?
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2023
Riversstate:

Says who?

Educate yourself.. Besides, I didn't make the rules so carry your arguments to the authorities.
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by stuffs2002: 1:11pm On Oct 16, 2023
sirqeeboi:

That not true even in Nigeria you don't need PGD for MBA Even in first generation university here except for Msc

Na lie..

Everyone needs PGD in Administration except for degree holders in Administration

Even if you have masters in other areas you still need PGD in Administration na HND go get direct?
Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Care4: 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2023
jaxin119:
One year crash programme is not sufficient enough to cover the extremely detailed course outline of the average university modules. Polytechnic course outline is very slim/limited and designed for middle level manpower.

That is how the GEJ's administration made a strategic mistake by introducing girls into the Nigerian Defence Academy resulting to reduced level of military training accross board. Today the result is the production of tiktok officers and excessive dead of officers and men in the North East.

As much as i agree that each program targets different tier of manpower, to say one runs a slimmer curriculum is wrong. And women in NDA? More advanced military trainers are allowing women. So, why should Nigeria be stuck in the stone age of gender discrimination?

1 Like

Re: NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree by Care4: 1:17pm On Oct 16, 2023
The only issue i see is why HND holders in a field should do another 2 years PGD program in their field when then want to pursue masters in that same field. For candidates crossing fields, it may make sense. By the way, why do we take 18 -24 months for Masters in Nigeria?

We need to revamp our education system and place more value on productivity and the use of our youth's time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Documents To Have Before Applying For Undergraduate Scholarships / JAMB Officials Got Bribes From CBT Centres To Alter UTME Results - Oloyede / University Of Benin, Uniben Post Ume 2010/2011 Result Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.