Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO (27028 Views)

Lagos CP Orders Removal Of Okokomaiko DPO Over Extortion / Cultism: Rival Lagos Schoolboys Clash In Meiran / Shoot Any Cultists Found With Firearm, Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by naptu2: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2023
SP Benjamin Hundeyin @BenHundeyin

CP Idowu Owohunwa has ordered the immediate removal of DPO Meiran for leadership dereliction and supervisory ineptitude.

Meanwhile, all the officers involved have been identified and are currently at the Command headquarters where their orderly room trial has commenced.

@BenHundeyin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by naptu2: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2023
Phone dealer accuses policemen of extortion

18th October 2023

An engineer, Ibrahim Saliu, has accused some policemen attached to the Meiran Police Station in Lagos State of alleged extortion.

He said the policemen extorted N200,000 from him on Saturday.

Saliu told PUNCH Metro that trouble started when the policemen detained him and his brother, Olaiya Murtala, for not providing an identity card or the receipts for the iPhones found with his brother.

He said he had sent his brother to his shop with six iPhones but during a stop-and-search, the policemen intercepted and took him to the police station.

He added that when he rushed to the police station to secure his brother’s release, he was asked to provide his ID card and receipts for the phones which were not available at the time.

He explained, “I’m an engineer and I sell phones. On Saturday morning, I gave my brother five iPhones and keys to open the shop while I went to withdraw money from the bank and would join him later.

“About two hours later, he called that some policemen on patrol had collected the phones from him and taken him to the station.

“When I got there, the DPO asked me to produce my ID and the receipts for the phones. I told him I didn’t have them. I told him I sell phones, but he didn’t believe me. I then told him that though I didn’t have all the receipts, I could take them to my shop which was close by but they still refused.

“The DPO took the iPhones, removed the warranty stickers on them, and declared that my brother and I are thieves and armed robbers.

“The next thing I heard was the DPO giving them an order to detain us and that we would be locked up for stealing and armed robbery. We were surprised that we started begging.”

Saliu added that the DPO later asked them to pay N500,000 to secure their freedom, saying that they begged him until they settled for N200,000 which the policemen insisted must be paid in cash.

According to him, one of the policemen led him to a nearby POS operator where he withdrew N182, 000 in addition to the N20,000 he had on him and handed it over to the policemen after which they were released.

Contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, said, “If the allegation is proven to be true, that is wrong and unprofessional. In the meantime, I urge the complainant to get across to the Complaint Response Unit of the state police command and that issue will be looked into.”

https://punchng.com/phone-dealer-accuses-policemen-of-extortion/

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Daniel7543: 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2023
na meiran side I dey stay sef… I sabi the police station for dat ilewe junction… na so so bad news I dey always hear about those officers, dem too dey corrupt for dat meiran police station.

113 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by DaddyRochie1642: 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2023
The uniform is not even fine

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Jennyclay(f): 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2023
End-sars part 2 is loading undecided.

Bunch of criminals in black uniform!!

57 Likes

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by wittywriter: 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2023
Police is your friend indeed .

Wittyness

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Funkyswagzz(m): 5:05pm On Oct 18, 2023
This action is what the police need for people to trust them

15 Likes

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by EdiskyHarry: 5:05pm On Oct 18, 2023
The NPF contributes about 60% of the problems we have in Nigeria.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Hollyharjii: 5:05pm On Oct 18, 2023
E suppose be deterrent for others, but for 9ja, e go just increase their wrongdoings

Anyways, e good

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Ekejoestar(m): 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2023
Extortion in police force is a big issue and it makes the police to neglect their duties all because of "OWO EGUNJE", the only way to checkmate the vices bedeviling the force is to increase the welfare package of the men of the force but doing so means that our politicians can no longer control them like zombies.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by BrighterSyde: 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2023
Good one
Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by iCauseTrouble: 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2023
grin
Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by joseph1832(m): 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2023
Na so. The complainant should be careful now, these policemen have this tendency to be ruthless whenever their evil and thieving ways are unearth.

I hope he gets justice because the evidence is very thin and aside his brother, the only person who can corroborate his story is the POS vendor.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Antoeni(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2023
All Officers Of The Nigeria Police Are. High Profile Criminals , They Just Recruited Sime High Profile Wanted Criminals into the Police In Kano state

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Generalyemi(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2023
angry

Nigerian youths are really suffering.
But tribalism n religion won't let them think straight.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by etcme(m): 5:09pm On Oct 18, 2023
Robbers in Uniform parading as Law Enforcement Agency.

Nothing good about all of them. From A - Z

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by gift01: 5:09pm On Oct 18, 2023
DPO sef Dey disgrace himself

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Timoleon(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
Hurray
Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by gbengene1234(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
Criminals in Uniform...
Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by grafixdon: 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
Very commendable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by Akaegwu(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
This people can't change

3 Likes

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by NACE13: 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
Smh cry
The same people that we hand the safety and protection of our lives and properties to are the ones dealing with us like this. Haba!
This is why one would leave a blossoming career here and go over there to become a care giver.
I spit on these people.
They must all be tried and de-kitted if found guilty

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by MVLOX(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
Hand don touch some
Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by money121(m): 5:13pm On Oct 18, 2023
Good news

AWON OJELU

1 Like

Re: Extortion: Lagos Police Commissioner Orders Removal Of Meiran DPO by qtx(m): 5:14pm On Oct 18, 2023
Those police men, why cant they send them to sambisa to serve there self?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omesa Broderick Tortured By Police, Undergoes Brain Surgery / SA Seizes Mercedes From Mbuso Moloi Who Looted Groceries During The Riots / Borno Youths Drinking Fermented Urine, Lizard Dung, Says NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.