Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. (54023 Views)

How I Converted A Space In My Compound Into A Dry Season Ugu Farm / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures) / Get A Land And Farm Sesame Seed In Our Sesame Farm Estate In Jigawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by gidjah(m): 12:06pm On Oct 21, 2023
Sorry about that sir,I noticed the same thing ,looks like op get small issues with writing,or rather put,he is locked up with farming matters.That can be very time consuming and stressfull,particaely after closing from the days job, he never anticipated the traffic he was gonna gather ,he's still learning on that path.Imagine he created a blog out of this 🥺how is he going to keep his follower
bassdow:
Since this post made frontPage, you haven't added any educative content to it. Just dey gather comments and Likes.
Even when asked questions, you rarely respond, and even when I asked a valid straight forward question, na political response you give.

Still I appreciate the likes of @gidjah and others who have educated us wey no sabi one way or the other.

2 Likes

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by bassdow: 12:07pm On Oct 21, 2023
Curious345:
This crop gives you just 300kg per hectare . Remember a hectare is the size of an Olympic size football field ..

A hectare is 15plots of land

Op is gonna get just one paint rubber of sesame seed harvest from this farm

Thanks for finally giving a response to ma question on frontPage. mayBe na why I no get response since.
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by gidjah(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2023
Hmmmm .. there are conditions to be met before you can start thinking of one bag and above.Now let me be very simple and adopt the market woman method. I have a plot of 100*120 around my house here ,planted or broadcasted a MUDU and Half (using Urea fertilizer on the fairly fertile land)amd got TWO basons. Lots of questions come up here ...I am..speaking like a northerner since I come from this part.the size of the bad been used in the said state matters too.I am here in NASSARAWA state were we use basically between size 30-31 (bag).this 20contains 4andhalf basons of the seeds. While size 31contaims 5basons of the sesame seed .That's about 25 -28 rubber painter.That size 30-31 is way more than the average 100kg bags you guys are accustomed to.so you can make your deduction on what you want to achieve.To be a bitore transparent, we do not just 'set target for our selves over this product,it goes way way beyond that as lots of factors come into play: adequate rain fall, planting at the right time and season,adequate manure to cater for the soil deficiencies, pest attack application at the right time , and harvesting at the right time too.A measure or 'mudu:as rightly called here costs about #1,600 at the peak of planting and can be more some times.
bassdow:

...abeg like how many plots of land do one need to generate a bag of sesame ?

1 Like

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by akaahs(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2023
How do determine the farm is being attacked by fungi and pest infections??
Secondly, at what age/ time do you spray pheromones for pollination??
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 12:29pm On Oct 21, 2023
Berylpharm:

OP, Is this situated in Ode Ekiti in Ekiti State
kogi state
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 12:29pm On Oct 21, 2023
akaahs:
How do determine the farm is being attacked by fungi and pest infections??
Secondly, at what age/ time do you spray pheromones for pollination??
join my WhatsApp group and learn more...07069715553
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by zimbolaa(m): 2:17pm On Oct 21, 2023
Esude007:
sesame can be planted twice in a year... U can plant the first batch in April, the second batch in July, august and September latest... The major challenge I faced was pest attack... It attack the leaves, but with the help of Cypermetrin, I was able to overcome

Can Cypermetrin be used against white flies? How effective is it?
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 4:53pm On Oct 21, 2023
zimbolaa:

Can Cypermetrin be used against white flies? How effective is it?
Cypermetrin is very effective against wide range of pest... When combacting white flies, make sure u increase the mils to 100 per knapsack

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by MrPRevailer(m): 8:41pm On Oct 21, 2023
merits:
That's my land I think you know that, I will come and bulldoze everything by next week.

Even if it is your land are you not displaying a devilish nature of envy and jealousy here?

Land that nobody has used for years. Now a tenant became innovative, instead of appreciate it, you won give am wotowoto.
Be human.

3 Likes

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by kcbaba007: 10:18pm On Oct 21, 2023
What type of land can be used to plant sesame, can it be done in Lagos or in the east?

1 Like

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by emmabest2000(m): 3:29am On Oct 22, 2023
francotunsco:

What is Sesame Farm?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:19am On Oct 22, 2023
DJInfluence:
One question, did you seek permission from the land owner before you embarked on this journey?
If not, please do because if they decides to destroy all you've been sweating for, you only have yourself to blame.
the owner was surprised when he saw the development, he is now in my WhatsApp group grin
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:22am On Oct 22, 2023
deavicky:
Abandoned land ke. No make them do u watin one man do me when I small oh. I go plant corn on his land the man come cut my cone down when the corn has started bringing out fruit. I will never forget that incident. Its about 32 years ago.
The owner sef dey vex y I no use everything sef... The owner is now interested in farming thanks to me
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:23am On Oct 22, 2023
The botanical name is sesanum indicum, beniseed is another name for it...
yewit37486:

Well, from info online:
The botanical name for Sesame is Benniseed: but in Nigeria, Sesame Brittle is often called ‘Ridi’ in Hausa, ‘Ekuku’ or 'Igogo' in Igbo, and ‘Isasa’ in Yoruba.
https://greenbaskit.com/everything-you-should-know-about-nigerian-sesame-brittle/

1 Like

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:25am On Oct 22, 2023
Curious345:
This crop gives you just 300kg per hectare . Remember a hectare is the size of an Olympic size football field ..

A hectare is 15plots of land

Op is gonna get just one paint rubber of sesame seed harvest from this farm
1 paint rubber?? grin ... This is my 5th year... I am the chief Agronomist of lona Farms Limited, I have been into farming all my life... I am a graduate of Agriculture from kogi state university... I planted 2 mudu last year, I got 1 bag. Without much care o... Just dey follow the tread cha... U go see wonders...
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:26am On Oct 22, 2023
Yvngex:

Good Day OP please I will love to learn more about sesame farming.
join my whasap group
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:28am On Oct 22, 2023
bassdow:

Thanks for finally giving a response to ma question on frontPage. mayBe na why I no get response since.
sorry for the late response... I've been busy on the main farm.... Yield comes from two things...Seed and good Agronomic practices... I fit get 1 basin or 2 from that place..join my WhatsApp group for more training
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:31am On Oct 22, 2023
GboyegaD:
Please don't forget to reward the small children as well.

If possible, make the farming a community project. I do not know how this will work but with this result, you could approach the Local Government or King as the case may be. You know your community way better.
I am Sharing everything to the community.... Last year, I shared 1 basin... I believe say na wetin save me from one bad sickness last year be that... It is good to be good
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:35am On Oct 22, 2023
It does well during raining season, but it doesn't like been submerged in water... What affects it's taste ia rancidity... U can make it dry fast in two days after hervest by spraying paraquat on it ... It will dry in two days... I done teach u better thing o.... Sorry for the late response... I have a 20 hectare of this awaiting hervest in few days... I am very busy on the farm
gidjah kisspost=126523322:
Sesame seed does not like excessive rain, so it's not planted during heavy rains, it will totally not produce to taste. The Best Season to consider planting this should be August to November /December and April-July (early season of rains when it's still quite light lest you loose it totally)is the other season ,though most famers do not venture in to this first season (April to July )as it is a high risk planting .I live up north and I can tell you none of us on this axis dare the April planting ,we rather go for the August planing as it gives us perfect yield with all factors been considered. Mine is already fruiting as we speak (planted using broadcasting method ) on 25th August so we are two months up or so.planting sesame seed is quite simpler compare to most of the other crops we look at, partly because "IT DOESN'T NEED WEEDING"! unlike maize ,Beans and even Egusi .It always try to compete with Egusi in market price so we call it Egusi's Sister !
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:37am On Oct 22, 2023
Feedmarshall:
I would like you to teach me more of this farming.
join my WhatsApp group
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:39am On Oct 22, 2023
zhirkovrado:
What's the suitable soil condition for it's cultivation or it can be planted in any region??
well drained sandy loam
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 6:41am On Oct 22, 2023
Sorry brother... I've been busy on the field..I have 20 hectare of Sesame that I am handling for a big farm.... Pls join my whasap group for more training..it is free
bassdow:
Since this post made frontPage, you haven't added any educative content to it. Just dey gather comments and Likes.
Even when asked questions, you rarely respond, and even when I asked a valid straight forward question, na political response you give.

Still I appreciate the likes of @gidjah and others who have educated us wey no sabi one way or the other.

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by asumo12: 7:48am On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
I applied a nitrogen based fertilizer ( urea)

OP
I have a freelance like this please how can I get this seed ?

Thanks
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by gidjah(m): 7:49am On Oct 22, 2023
Hmm ,..you are doing well for your self bro.20 HEC ain't joke considering the work on sesame seed.Ths best option though would be to evade planting this seed during heavy out pouring if one is not a PRO yet ,it can be very disastrous and make you run mad when it comes to lose.The August planting stands out as the best season to do .You want to tell me to apply PARAQUAT HERBICIDE ON SESAME SEED( that should be for consumption world wide) ?No white man Would encourage that sir and that's part of the major reason we advice people to keep away the idea of planting when the rains are heavy. quote author=Esude007 post=126544638]It does well during raining season, but it doesn't like been submerged in water... What affects it's taste ia rancidity... U can make it dry fast in two days after hervest by spraying paraquat on it ... It will dry in two days... I done teach u better thing o.... Sorry for the late response... I have a 20 hectare of this awaiting hervest in few days... I am very busy on the farm[/quote]

1 Like

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2023
gidjah:
Hmm you are doing well for your self bro.20HEC ain't joke considering the work on sesame seed.Ths best option though would be to evade planting this seed during heavy out pouring if I w is not a PRO yet ,it. An be very disastrous ,that plant. An make you run mad when it comes to lose.The August planting stands out as the best season to do .You want to tell me to apply PARAQUAT HERBICIDE ON SESAME SEES that should be for consumption world wide ?No white man Would encourage that sir and that's part of the major reason we advice people to keep away the idea ofplamti.g when the rains are heavy quote author=Esude007 post=126544638]It does well during raining season, but it doesn't like been submerged in water... What affects it's taste ia rancidity... U can make it dry fast in two days after hervest by spraying paraquat on it ... It will dry in two days... I done teach u better thing o.... Sorry for the late response... I have a 20 hectare of this awaiting hervest in few days... I am very busy on the farm
I know... It won't touch the see... Just the pod... To hasten drying
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Esude007: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2023
asumo12:

OP
I have a freelance like this please how can I get this seed ?

Thanks
y not..
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by zhirkovrado(m): 8:48am On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
well drained sandy loam
Ok sir!
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by deavicky(m): 9:00am On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
The owner sef dey vex y I no use everything sef... The owner is now interested in farming thanks to me
ok better. I'm concerned because u used the word "Abandon"

1 Like

Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Cation(m): 9:25am On Oct 22, 2023
Hi, I am a mobile network data vendor. I sell SME and CG data for all networks starting at #250 Naira per gig. Have a nice day
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by jadajada: 10:54am On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
it is the second most exported cash crop after cocoa.... A bag is now #135,000 now... From #150,000
how many bags can one get from a plot?
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by yewit37486: 12:35pm On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
The botanical name is sesanum indicum, beniseed is another name for it...

Thanks, corrected it.
Re: How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. by Yvngex(m): 1:36pm On Oct 22, 2023
Esude007:
join my whasap group

Okay. How do I join?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

50 metres diameters Rain Guns For Sale! / How To Get Best Hybrid Plantain Sucker/ Plantain Farm Management in Nigeria / The Goldmine In Plantain Farming – Regular Sources Of Income

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.