Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,529 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy (24335 Views)

During Jonathan's Time, Insecurity In The North Was Jonathan's Fault / Opinion: Was Jonathan The Most Attacked Nigerian President When He Was In Power? / Nigeria Economy Rated Best In Africa By Forbes-see Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 7:43pm On Oct 20, 2023
saysoo:
When he was the PM . He told the late Queen when Jonathan paid her majesty a visit. Try the net, you may get info. The statement was critized though.
I think you've mixed up Jonathan and Buhari
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by aviara: 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
All the sins yorubas claimed Jonathan's govt committed which made them rise against him has also been committed by Tinubu but they will pretend they are not aware. Bunch of hypocrites and sycophants that should never be trusted

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by aviara: 7:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
aviara:
Yorubas after being embarrassed with the abysmal performance of the certificate forger, will not go to Ojota to protest against bad governance. Rather they will result to paint every party and past govt as being the same.

Their arrogance makes it hard for them to accept their poor judgement and apologies they think Igbos are their problem

Shame on all those who supported APC from 2015 to 2023. More shame on those who led and participated in protest against Jonathan's govt but are quiet now when we need their voices.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by aviara: 7:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
aviara:
Only a delusional man will think Tinubu's govt will bring a better standard of living and shared prosperity for all. With the kind of system we have seen him set up in Lagos state, his economic is such that takes from poor and to enrich the rich and the politicians while flaunting bogus figures as internally generated revenue collected by double taxation, brute force, extortion and arbitrary fines and fees.

Our president is a Gangstar running a Gangstar economy for the rich and political allies. If only you know the number of companies the crook in chief has registered to take over all sectors of our economy like he did with Alphabeta and some his companies in Lagos.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Charly68: 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
TheOgaBoss:
if tinubu even succeeds now to take us back to where we were under Jonathan, u lots will praise him to high heavens. let's not allow sentiments to becloud our judgements, the south westerners were the ones who championed opposition against GEJ because some key positions in his administration were occupied by person from the SS and SE. this infuriated u lots and there were no amount of performance that would have pleased u people. let's not forget how u denigrates and insulted his person and his family was not even spared your verbal assaults.
His greatest undueing was his lack of firmness and boldness . He allowed corrupt people to fester easily.. his issue was not ethnic .. It is normal for a leader to assign his trusted aids to sensitive position but if they don't perform they must be fired without prejudice...there should be no sentiment in Govt and that is things aren't working in Nigeria and Africa .. . Buhari came and repeated same problem even in a complicated manner. These men are wicked against the nation...nothing is excellent about .them.. we should withdraw that title from past leaders
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by barbstee(m): 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
i dont rate nw ne, if Sw went with south it was gave over

Now that tinubu is a failure hope everyone eye don clear, some of them are only shocked he can be this bad

They are hiding under give him two years let the failure be pronounce first, a failure with no strategy would still fail even in four years

SW tinubu supporters no suppose dey talk sef, dem suppose dey shame that buhari can be better than a southerner

I'm only surprised at those liking your comment?
How is Tinubu a failure?

He shouldn't have removed the petrol subsidy?
He should have continued the subsidy on forex?
It's obvious we've been living a borrowed life for so long.

I don't think there's a better option than what he has done which will always tell on the economy economy though I sometimes feel the two shouldn't have been done at the same time but I don't blame him for that.
The main thing is the judicious use of the fund.

It's obvious you're talking with hatred.

There's nothing he has done so far that others didn't promise to do but we seems to have a whole lot of educated ignorants
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by saysoo: 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kukutente23:

I think you've mixed up Jonathan and Buhari
No, the statement was made based on the transperency report of the previous goverment. Buhari just entered and attended the meeting so he can move his anticorruption fight in assets recovery from Britain. Buhari can't be corrupt by 2016, he just started.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 8:15pm On Oct 20, 2023
chiself:

Who is breaking Nigeria ? Well Atiku tried to do that, and there are some waiting for the FBI report. The question is do you think the fall out, if there is anything incriminating would only affect Tinubu? You are all screaming about the state of economy but do you think such incrementing information will make the Naira rise against the dollar and bring about the needed foreign investments?

The country is not in the best state, we all know that, but as as Sanusi said "Anybody who tells you it's going to be easy, please don't vote for him". In early 1922, 160 German marks was equivalent to one US dollar. By November of 1923, the currency would depreciate to 4,200,000,000,000 marks to one US dollar. With policies the hyperinflation was over by 1924.

It is even keeping quiet that does the country much harm, true, but what are you saying. I have read people saying Buhari government is better than Tinubu's government . Do they mean Tinubu's government in Lagos State or what government? Is it the one that is just starting? Let the policies feed through. There are time lag but come back in 2-4 years time and review. It is like a journey from Lagos to Kano. You might not have reached Kano but it is important to know that you have left Lagos and on your way to Kano. You might not even get to Kano but Kaduna, but it is closer to Kano than Lagos. The journey from Kaduna to Kano wouldn't take as long.
How did Atiku try to break Nigeria? I hope you're not referring to the Chicago issue because Atiku is within his legal and moral rights to do what he did. The fall out should and will affect Tinubu alone if anything incriminating is found. If however such is found and the NASS or supreme Court who have the responsibility to remedy such according to our laws chose to look the other way, then that's Nigeria's loss and they are not patriots but saboteur. The bigger problem is if a foreign power has dirt on your leader and they use such to threaten him to do their bidding. That's the big danger we must avoid.

Exactly my point! The posturing of this present govt does not look like one who is ready to solve the problems of this nation. Where is the policy to clear up our mess. All this rhetoric of things must first go bad before they become good is just lies. We're already six months into this govt. Some of your fellow supporters claimed we should give the govt 3 to 6 months. Now you're shifting to 2-4 years. That shows you guys now realise that there is a good chance the govt doesn't get it right at the end. If so, is it not better everyone voices out and keep them on their toes so they can know they are failing Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by saysoo: 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2023
barbstee:

I'm only surprised at those liking your comment?
How is Tinubu a failure?

He shouldn't have removed the petrol subsidy?
He should have continued the subsidy on forex?
It's obvious we've been living a borrowed life for so long.

I don't think there's a better option than what he has done which will always tell on the economy economy though I sometimes feel the two shouldn't have been done at the same time but I don't blame him for that.
The main thing is the judicious use of the fund.

It's obvious you're talking with hatred.

There's nothing he has done so far that others didn't promise to do but we seems to have a whole lot of educated ignorants
Where he failed was greeting Nigerians with failed statement. "subsidy is gone" it was careless and wrong. A better manager could have used a more constructive statement like," there no money, my goverment will seek ways to help" different processes can then follow, those words destroyed all we see now.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2023
saysoo:
No, the statement was made based on the transperency report of the previous goverment. Buhari just entered and attended the meeting so he can move his anticorruption fight in assets recovery from Britain. Buhari can't be corrupt by 2016, he just started.
Well Cameron never mentioned any govt in particular but the country. He didn't mention only Nigeria but other countries as well. Besides, Nigeria never improved on the anticorruption index all through the Buhari years.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by MyAmericandream(f): 8:25pm On Oct 20, 2023
SouthSouth1914:
Tinubu is a disgrace together with Buhari. He should be given forty dirty slaps for saying “I built Lagos”.
The phrase dey pain me no be small.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by saysoo: 8:27pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kukutente23:

Well Cameron never mentioned any govt in particular but the country. He didn't mention only Nigeria but other countries as well. Besides, Nigeria never improved on the anticorruption index all through the Buhari years.
Agreed with your last statement but the first?
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by caracas: 8:34pm On Oct 20, 2023
SIMPLE
THE GREAT IGBOS WERE IN CHARGE OF THE ECONOMY ….
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by TheOgaBoss: 8:35pm On Oct 20, 2023
Charly68:
His greatest undueing was his lack of firmness and boldness . He allowed corrupt people to fester easily.. his issue was not ethnic .. It is normal for a leader to assign his trusted aids to sensitive position but if they don't perform they must be fired without prejudice...there should be no sentiment in Govt and that is things aren't working in Nigeria and Africa .. . Buhari came and repeated same problem even in a complicated manner. These men are wicked against the nation...nothing is excellent about .them.. we should withdraw that title from past leaders
buhari repeated the same thing, but we didn't see the same amount of vitroil and verbal insults thrown at him by the same people from the SW.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by barbstee(m): 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
saysoo:
Where he failed was greeting Nigerians with failed statement. "subsidy is gone" it was careless and wrong. A better manager could have used a more constructive statement like," there no money, my goverment will seek ways to help" different processes can then follow, those words destroyed all we see now.

He only said with the plan on ground (before he came in) subsidy is gone and whether he said it or not it's gone he even had to Fastrack it
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by saysoo: 8:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
barbstee:

He only said with the plan on ground (before he came in) subsidy is gone and whether he said it or not it's gone he even had to Fastrack it
My point is how you transmit information matters. Less than 24hrs that statement came out, the country literaly stopped working. The fulcrum of Nigerias economy is Oil and Gas. Very delicate commodity.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by blueAgent(m): 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kukutente23:

This one has bought into nairalanda1's dumb propaganda
Egypt is doing far better than us economically. They don't have oil or any natural resource of note.
Same goes for India, Britain, Germany, China and a host of other countries around the world. If you're saying the ownership of one commodity or the other is the determinant of a vibrant economy, UK should be the poorest country in the world followed by Switzerland.
It's a dumb thing to mismanage your resources then claim It's not enough to meet your needs.

I partly agree with you, but you are wrong to say UK has no mineral resources.

Google North Sea UK oil production, Alpha Piper.
And mineral resources in UK.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by chiself: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kukutente23:

How did Atiku try to break Nigeria? I hope you're not referring to the Chicago issue because Atiku is within his legal and moral rights to do what he did. The fall out should and will affect Tinubu alone if anything incriminating is found. If however such is found and the NASS or supreme Court who have the responsibility to remedy such according to our laws chose to look the other way, then that's Nigeria's loss and they are not patriots but saboteur. The bigger problem is if a foreign power has dirt on your leader and they use such to threaten him to do their bidding. That's the big danger we must avoid.

Exactly my point! The posturing of this present govt does not look like one who is ready to solve the problems of this nation. Where is the policy to clear up our mess. All this rhetoric of things must first go bad before they become good is just lies. We're already six months into this govt. Some of your fellow supporters claimed we should give the govt 3 to 6 months. Now you're shifting to 2-4 years. That shows you guys now realise that there is a good chance the govt doesn't get it right at the end. If so, is it not better everyone voices out and keep them on their toes so they can know they are failing Nigerians?

So if they find incriminating evidence on Tinubu the fall out will only affect him grin Maybe you don't know that Nigeria is the butt of joke all over the world example:

It comes after Lord Sugar suggested that Nigerians could not be trusted over financial promises.

During the opening episode of The Apprentice, the peer asked contestant Stuart Baggs why he should not be "fired" from the show.

Mr Baggs said: "If you give me one hundred grand a year, I will deliver to you 10 times that and if I don't — take it all back. A money back guarantee, I'm that confident".

Lord Sugar replied: "I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn't transpire."
[b][/b]

The fall out will instil confidence in Nigeria grin

Yes it is Atiku's legal right but risk/reward, what if analysis etc. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's the best course of action.

Supporters claim 3- 6 months - Are the supporters 99.9%ers? The 0.01%ers knows it will take longer. Maybe they should reduce the presidential term to 6 months as it is enough to see the desired result grin
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by blueAgent(m): 9:27pm On Oct 20, 2023
onuman:

Ha ha ha. Because you don't understand what is holding Nigeria down. You pray every year for a good leader to emerge to lift up Nigeria. But the prayers have remained vanity. You don't ask yourselves why. You don't even understand that it's piling up multireligious and multi ethnic groups in one country by Oyibo people that makes Nigeria deteriorate. Oyibo knows that keeping Nigeria down is at their own exonomic advantage.

That's how you guys parrot rubbish.
When I ask you for evidence and facts now, you would run away.

Which economic benefits would UK and US gain from Nigerians bad economy?
Can Nigeria compete and rival Singapore, Thailand or India talkless of UK and US.

Abeg reason b4 you talk.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Rankine(m): 9:29pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pakute:

Did GEJ experience recession?, No.
Did GEJ experience pipeline vandalism and production shortfalls?, No
Did GEJ experience Covid?, No.
Did GEJ experience Ukrain/Russia war that's affecting food prices? No.

GEJ experienced global economic meltdown of 2008 and also successfully tackled the ebola pandemic swiftly. He wasn't perfect, but is far better than his sucessors
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by blueAgent(m): 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2023
chiself:

Who is breaking Nigeria ? Well Atiku tried to do that, and there are some waiting for the FBI report. The question is do you think the fall out, if there is anything incriminating would only affect Tinubu? You are all screaming about the state of economy but do you think such incrementing information will make the Naira rise against the dollar and bring about the needed foreign investments?

The country is not in the best state, we all know that, but as as Sanusi said "Anybody who tells you it's going to be easy, please don't vote for him". In early 1922, 160 German marks was equivalent to one US dollar. By November of 1923, the currency would depreciate to 4,200,000,000,000 marks to one US dollar. With policies the hyperinflation was over by 1924.

It is even keeping quiet that does the country much harm, true, but what are you saying. I have read people saying Buhari government is better than Tinubu's government . Do they mean Tinubu's government in Lagos State or what government? Is it the one that is just starting? Let the policies feed through. There are time lag but come back in 2-4 years time and review. It is like a journey from Lagos to Kano. You might not have reached Kano but it is important to know that you have left Lagos and on your way to Kano. You might not even get to Kano but Kaduna, but it is closer to Kano than Lagos. The journey from Kaduna to Kano wouldn't take as long.

Sighs.

Nonsense writeup.

That's the same useless reasons you ppl would give after 4years.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by chiself: 9:40pm On Oct 20, 2023
blueAgent:

Sighs.

Nonsense writeup.

That's the same useless reasons you ppl would give after 4years.

Then go on! That is why I said the country is cursed. Like a dog chasing it tail in circle. Continue! grin grin grin
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Cromagnon: 9:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
Isobug:
He had capable hands for the Economy.
It's still an enigma to me that the economy of the person they claim was clueless is 5 times better in their watch.

How was it better 5 times?

All they wanted was to get into power, they got it and destroy everything.
A car (ES 330 2006 model) I bought 3.450M on November last year, I went back to buy for my Niece, only to find out is now 5.8M last.
They have completely scattered the country
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Cromagnon: 9:51pm On Oct 20, 2023
qwertyuioplm:
Despite paying for subsidy and not a producing nation exchange rate moved from 140-180 ,what type of magic did he perform
None
He was just lucky that oil price was high
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 10:00pm On Oct 20, 2023
blueAgent:

I partly agree with you, but you are wrong to say UK has no mineral resources.

Google North Sea UK oil production, Alpha Piper.
And mineral resources in UK.
Yeah. You're right. But you get the main gist right?
It's more about how you manage your resources and not the availability of the resources as that dude is claiming
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 10:09pm On Oct 20, 2023
chiself:

So if they find incriminating evidence on Tinubu the fall out will only affect him grin Maybe you don't know that Nigeria is the butt of joke all over the world example:

It comes after Lord Sugar suggested that Nigerians could not be trusted over financial promises.

During the opening episode of The Apprentice, the peer asked contestant Stuart Baggs why he should not be "fired" from the show.

Mr Baggs said: "If you give me one hundred grand a year, I will deliver to you 10 times that and if I don't — take it all back. A money back guarantee, I'm that confident".

Lord Sugar replied: "I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn't transpire."
[b][/b]

The fall out will instil confidence in Nigeria grin

Yes it is Atiku's legal right but risk/reward, what if analysis etc. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's the best course of action.

Supporters claim 3- 6 months - Are the supporters 99.9%ers? The 0.01%ers knows it will take longer. Maybe they should reduce the presidential term to 6 months as it is enough to see the desired result grin
Have you heard of Richard Nixon? Have you heard of Watergate scandal? Nixon resigned as president of the US because he was caught paying bribes.
The office of the president is too important for someone with such moral issues as bribery or forgery to occupy. So we have no one but ourselves to blame if the office is ridiculed.

Any presidency that's going to yield positive results will be showing clarity already. You can't say until 2 years before you see clarity in a govt that knows what it's doing. Two years is too long a time especially with the kind of political environment we have. In two years, the next elections will be a year away. That's when you expect a govt to start making impact? Plsss
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by anungangampu: 10:16pm On Oct 20, 2023
Jonathan had a competitive economic team. There was no padi in his economic team. Okonjo iweala could openly accuse the president so was Sanusi. Jonathan totally left economic teams far above his control and intellect to control the economy.
I understand then how Sanusi and Iweala usually talks like Presidents without even trying to mellow down their talk.
Todays what we have is praise singers and politicians trying to do the bidding for their master.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by VULCAN(m): 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pls provide the link to the arrest of the petroleum minister with £18.5 billion.

I ask because that sounds like a figment of your imagination

MASTERCHIEF0847:

Even the PDP presidents failed. For example under OBJ $16 billion NIPP project failed with the money gone, under GEJ his petroleum minister was arrested in the UK with £18.5 billion, where did the money come from? These people are all the same PDP and APC and whatever platform they come under.
Among oil producing countries Nigeria has the least developed public infrastructure with the little available also dilapidated.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by dominic17: 10:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
Oil price has never been stable right from time immemorial, what was the oil price then and what is it? What was exchange rate then and what is it now? How many percentage was V.A.T and excerise duty and how what is it now,?was there charge on account deposit and was there charges on POS ? I can account on and on.honestly APC government earn more money but full of corrupt politicians. If you daught me check how much Nigeria budget is during PDP era and compare it to what it is now
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Please read my comment again, it i did not base it solely on oil prices but you cannot take out the fact that that was during an era of oil boom worldwide and every oil producing nation benefited from increased revenues so its a factor oga.
I also made emphasis on his good economic team and policies.
In reality, all the governments since 1999 have all failed so personally am not giddy about any.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Lhoordshak714: 11:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
Hmmm
MASTERCHIEF0847:
Crude oil prices were at its highest levels during GEJ days which was an advantage and also he had a good and competent economic team led by Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and other economic and financial experts who were picked based on merit instead of nepotism and political patronage as it was during Buhari and now under Tinubu.
Nigeria is now heading into “Gangster Capitalism “ like we had in countries like Russia,Romania,Belarus and other former Soviet Union states…the economy being controlled by criminals and outlaws with government power.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by emmyN(m): 12:00am On Oct 21, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Please read my comment again, it i did not base it solely on oil prices but you cannot take out the fact that that was during an era of oil boom worldwide and every oil producing nation benefited from increased revenues so its a factor oga.
I also made emphasis on his good economic team and policies.
In reality, all the governments since 1999 have all failed so personally am not giddy about any.

This present government and even Buhari's is getting the so-called oil boom, but what is the result? Weaker naira, higher pump price, entrenched poverty!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

El-Rufai Visits Vice-President, Osinbajo Today / Anambra Most Indigenous Industrialized State / PDP Plateau State 2019 Campaign Flag Off (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.