Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy (24378 Views)

During Jonathan's Time, Insecurity In The North Was Jonathan's Fault / Opinion: Was Jonathan The Most Attacked Nigerian President When He Was In Power? / Nigeria Economy Rated Best In Africa By Forbes-see Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by frog12: 12:42pm On Oct 20, 2023
JONATHAN was president in a lucky time. even NOI borrowed to pay salaries.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by seguno2: 12:43pm On Oct 20, 2023
sonofthunder:

Jonathan did not manage economy. Oil prices were high and oil theft was low so money was coming in.

Please how is keeping oil theft low not part of managing the economy well

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by ufuosman(m): 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
Isobug:
He had capable hands for the Economy.
It's still an enigma to me that the economy of the person they claim was clueless is 5 times better in their watch.
All they wanted was to get into power, they got it and destroy everything.
A car (ES 330 2006 model) I bought 3.450M on November last year, I went back to buy for my Niece, only to find out is now 5.8M last.
They have completely scattered the country
Country don scarta I swr, something never reach a yr 2m plus don add

2 Likes

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by forgiveness: 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
mrvitalis:

Is hope you can read? Read that criteria again read what you wrote

Edun doesn't even have PhD mere MSC holder
Majority of his experience is micro economics

Am sure you don't even know the difference between Macro and micro economics

Read the criteria again this time slowly

Edun met 2 out of 3. Stop lying.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by nairalanda1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 20, 2023
frog12:
JONATHAN was president in a lucky time. even NOI borrowed to pay salaries.

Because as high as oil prices were under Jonathan, they were not high enough.

Nigeria needs oil to be at least 130 dollars per barrel before we can say we have ze money. Large population is a big part of the reason why.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Stephench: 12:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Please read my comment again, it i did not base it solely on oil prices but you cannot take out the fact that that was during an era of oil boom worldwide and every oil producing nation benefited from increased revenues so its a factor oga.
I also made emphasis on his good economic team and policies.
In reality, all the governments since 1999 have all failed so personally am not giddy about any.

How much was oil selling and how much is it selling now?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by ben4ever(m): 12:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
Good economic team , same used by obasanjo and yardua
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by HeroicMeastro: 12:48pm On Oct 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

UAE and Qatar also have 12 million and 1.8 million people respectively and produce more oil than we do

So they gat the revenue to import, pay for subsides , leave something for the Amir and his geng, and still have lots left over.
They have no vast land for agriculture, no man power, no solid minerals, no portable drinking water.
We have all of these...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
mikeapollo:

You are a liar.
Sanusi never lied. He was proved right!
The $20bilion that was missing was confirmed by both PWC and the Senate committee.
Jonathan was also a mess in his time. He brought in Emefiele as CBN governor.... now see what Emefiele has done and the clueless Tinubu with his useless policies too.
He actually brought in Emefiele due to the disloyal tendencies of Sanusi.

First of all, which of his figures was right? Was it 49.8, 20 or 10bn?
Anyone who knows anything then will know Sanusi couldn't have been right because the CBN does not have access to NNPCL's books.
Secondly, you lied. Both Senate and PWC confirmed no missing 20bn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by yewit37486: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
43Ronin:
He had professionals handling the economy. Well trained nigerians, people like Okonjo of WTO, Adesina aganga..... he was able to succeed because he was detribalized. Even though people call him a weakling, he was a MAN he handled shít for nigerians without us even knowing; Just as children eat food without knowing the hustle their father put in to keep their belly full. This current politicians are like those house-help that maltreat babies.

lmaoo cheesy @ your analogy.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by GeneralDae: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
onuman:

Ha ha ha. They want to control proceeds from crude oil in the Niger delta region, to further develop their region, and entertain themselves with their music: the SE region is village and erosion ravaged, the SS people are ogogoro drinkers and clueless people.
That's all about their struggles for Tinubu must rule struggle.
What did Jonathan do for his SS region?
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by sonofthunder: 12:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
seguno2:

Please how is keeping oil theft low not part of managing the economy well

Understand my point. He never did anything substantial to grow the economy despite the growing population.

A major reason oil theft went down was because it was someone from the region that was president and they were sending militants from the region abroad and paying them huge money as salary while citizens from same place who went to school graduated and remained either jobless or underemployed.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by nairalanda1(m): 12:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
HeroicMeastro:

They have no vast land for agriculture, no man power, no solid minerals, no portable drinking water.
We have all of these...

Yes, which is why we have to use our vast raw materials to make exportable industrial goods and services.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 12:51pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pakute:

I haven't seen anyone dumber, henceforth, i have added you into kid's register.
All you had to do was explain how finance is bigger than foreign ministry.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by landmark86: 12:52pm On Oct 20, 2023
APC is the worst party to ever rule Nigeria

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by TheOgaBoss: 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Please read my comment again, it i did not base it solely on oil prices but you cannot take out the fact that that was during an era of oil boom worldwide and every oil producing nation benefited from increased revenues so its a factor oga.
In reality, all the governments since 1999 have all failed so personally am not giddy about any.
crude oil price and especially the price of lng has been very high since the Russia Ukraine war started, even b4 the war it was rising, go and compare with the prices during Jonathan's administration.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by rickleye: 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yes but Buhari made the mistake of keeping subsidy. That helped worsen our debt under his rule. Then no economic diversification and no fighting corruption plus subsidy on power and also no improvement in revenue from taxes.

Of he had sorted the above out, Nigeria would have been on the road up. He did not.

Tinubu is following the road by keeping subsides . Too early to talk of others, but I'm not optimistic

Nigeria’s major problem is that we act as a consuming economy like US and not like producing economy like China. We are consuming a lot and neither exporting nor consume any made in Nigeria products. Our sole reliance is Oil and offshoots of oil . Another export besides oil is Hydro to neighbouring countries.

I’ll admit one thing - which is until you have access to all financial data one’s analysis on how bad the issue is is flawed. Tinubu should not have removed subsidy on day one, literarily . He should have studied the issues first for a while and then acted . He should have provided a buffer and created jobs before pulling the plug. Start with half and then complete removal .

From what is being reported after some months of removing subsidies and seeing how bad things became , he quickly and quietly returned subsidies.

The issues at hand will not be solved in a day or a year . The problem is that the ship isn’t turning in the right direction .

I am not optimistic at all . He’s too old to be hands on . The role of a president is mostly ceremonial so his economic team need to look for out of the box solutions . At present it appears trial and error and costly .

2 Likes

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Pakute: 12:55pm On Oct 20, 2023
Daystar7:

You dey shift goal post too much alaye. How much Dem pay you? NOI worst is better than the best of any finance minister we've ever had stop moving mad. Tribalism wan kill you, Is a president a minister? Give the woman her flowers n stfu!
Okonjo Iweala killed our economy, she was collecting salary in dollars and supervised Dasuki gate.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Meti99(m): 12:55pm On Oct 20, 2023
At this point I guess Tinubu should invite Jonathan to train him (Tinubu) how to run our economy...at least experience is the greatest teacher..
Tinubu should just humble himself to learn from our dear Uncle Joe...best Nigerian president ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Kukutente23: 12:57pm On Oct 20, 2023
spiSeyi:
GEJ met a fresh and healthy economy on the ground.
GEJ was not better than PMB, here are my reasons
1 GEJ met PMS @ N60 he left it at N140
PMB Met it @ N140 and left it at N250
2 GEJ met a bag of rice at 5k-6k he left it at 10k-12k
PMB left it 24-36k
3 Gej met USD at 1USD = N110 he left it at 1USD = N300
PMB met it at N300 and left it at N750
If you analyze both on economic scales with no sentiment none is better, GEJ & PMB governments are castoroph to Nigeria's economy undecided
Umar Musa Yaradua should be used as a yardstick and not GEJ.
Yaradua reduced the cost of PMS from N75 to N60 and USD was pegged at 1USD = N90 official rate and N100 at aboki rate.
Nigeria had almost no debt when GEJ took over he handed over a 12-digit profile to PMB. Buhari is a pro version of GEJangry
Tissue of lies
GEJ met pms at 65 and left it at 87
GeJ left a bag of rice at 8k
GEJ left dollar at 218
You don't need to tell lies to defend your masters
We were all in this country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by HeroicMeastro: 12:57pm On Oct 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yes, which is why we have to use our vast raw materials to make exportable industrial goods and services.
We shouldn't talk about exporting these without be self sufficient as producers.
My point is that if succeeding governments had saved, we won't be in this current mess.
Even exporting nations had went through recessions, so only savings can help in such instances..
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by TheOgaBoss: 12:58pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Even the PDP presidents failed. For example under OBJ $16 billion NIPP project failed with the money gone, under GEJ his petroleum minister was arrested in the UK with £18.5 billion, where did the money come from? These people are all the same PDP and APC and whatever platform they come under.
Among oil producing countries Nigeria has the least developed public infrastructure with the little available also dilapidated.
even in the USA there are instances of corruption by officials, that does not mean the administration failed. we still have till today, lasting policy results that helped certain sectors of the economy from pdp era of 1999, what lasting positive legacy can u point to from apc administration of buhari that just finished less than a year ago?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Svoboda(m): 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
PDPdestroyer:
How was Abacha able to manage the economy, what miracle did he perform to keep the exchange rate below 100 naira to a dollar ?

Despite diplomatic isolation and economic sanctions.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by nairalanda1(m): 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
HeroicMeastro:

We shouldn't talk about exporting these without be self sufficient as producers.
My point is that if succeeding governments had saved, we won't be in this current mess.
Even exporting nations had went through recessions, so only savings can help in such instances..

Even then, we still need to make more money

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by samuelson06(m): 1:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:
Crude oil prices were at its highest levels during GEJ days which was an advantage and also he had a good and competent economic team led by Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and other economic and financial experts who were picked based on merit instead of nepotism and political patronage as it was during Buhari and now under Tinubu.
Nigeria is now heading into “Gangster Capitalism “ like we had in countries like Russia,Romania,Belarus and other former Soviet Union states…the economy being controlled by criminals and outlaws with government power.

So you think if crude was also high now there'll be some good changes? It seems you don't understand the government of APC.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by LordBillionz: 1:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pakute:

Did GEJ experience recession?, No.
Did GEJ experience pipeline vandalism and production shortfalls?, No
Did GEJ experience Covid?, No.
Did GEJ experience Ukrain/Russia war that's affecting food prices? No.
These are your excuses?

You're irredeemable
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Bizibi(m): 1:02pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:
Crude oil prices were at its highest levels during GEJ days which was an advantage and also he had a good and competent economic team led by Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and other economic and financial experts who were picked based on merit instead of nepotism and political patronage as it was during Buhari and now under Tinubu.
Nigeria is now heading into “Gangster Capitalism “ like we had in countries like Russia,Romania,Belarus and other former Soviet Union states…the economy being controlled by criminals and outlaws with government power.
oil was even high in buhari administration and they told us there is nothing they can do about the crude oil production and the oil theft.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Pakute: 1:02pm On Oct 20, 2023
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

Did GEJ experience recession?
Are you kidding me?

Is recession not the product of a county's economic policies and activities?
Why make is sound as if it is something that falls from the sky once in a few years?

GEJ continued the Amnesty program laid down by President Umar Musa Yar' Adua.
Why would he experience pipeline vandalism?

Did Buhari and Emilokan experience Ebola?
A disease far worse and more communicable than COVID which never really affected Africans.
Its on record that most of the dust raised over COVID in Nigeria was audio, with the government cashing out massively using the school feeding programme and vulnerable households talks as well as witholding donations in cash and foodstuffs.
What the heck concerns Nigeria with Ukraine/Russia war?
Una go make excuses for everything.
GEJ was borrowing to pay salaries, that was the foundation for recession.
Covid shut down the world, Ebola was curtailed by Fashola less than a month.
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by freshboi88: 1:03pm On Oct 20, 2023
MASTERCHIEF0847:

It is the oil boom due to the Russia and Ukraine conflict that is increasing the cost of fuel today without subsidy. Each time the price of oil goes up today, I hope you know it affects the people negativity under Tinubu ?
Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by Bizibi(m): 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
mikeapollo:

You are a liar.
Sanusi never lied. He was proved right!
The $20bilion that was missing was confirmed by both PWC and the Senate committee.
Jonathan was also a mess in his time. He brought in Emefiele as CBN governor.... now see what Emefiele has done and the clueless Tinubu with his useless policies too.
forget it,it is not true....it was just politics. I remember when sanusi was giving different figures and some stupid propaganda saying the money is in zenith Bank.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by chiself: 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pakute:

I call them "the 99.9%ers", they are clueless. The guy has not even been in office for a year! Maybe they think he is a magician. Running the economy is not an easy tasks and there will be mistakes along the way. In the UK last year we had a Prime Minister that was in office for 49 days because of her economic policies.

It appears the country is cursed as there are lots that don't want it to succeed. I don't get it. Why won't you want the best for yourself and your children but you think by Japaing to some foreign country they would take care of you?
Even after 8 years in office, Tinubu won't be able to do everything but there should be some significant changes.

The 99.9%ers are always the last to know.

1 Like

Re: How Was Jonathan Able To Manage Nigeria Economy by TheOgaBoss: 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
Pakute:

the Russia Ukraine war is actually a positive for every oil producing nation. the recession was partly caused by the backward economic policies of buhari. he closed the land borders of Nigeria throughout his administration, and most of our factories rely heavily on the west African market for their products.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Tinubu Receives British Deputy High Commissioner (Photo) / APC, PDP Reps Clash Over Amaechi / Youths In Abuja Protest Age Limit In Nigerian Politics (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.