Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya (18270 Views)

Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Ghana. / Differences Between A CV And A Resume / Name The Worst Companies To Work For In Nigeria And Give Your Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by elvhinzey(m): 11:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
SETHARTHUR:
Please I need a freelance copywriting gig. I promise to deliver the best results ever via high ticket sales closings.

Create a profile on Upwork.

Give it a laser focus and pray your proposal always get attention.

Good luck!
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Shikena(m): 12:03am On Oct 25, 2023
Don't mind the illiterate.

1 USD ~ 150 Japanese Yen. Does that mean Kenyan economy is almost at par with Japan? grin

ThinkWISELY:

So na currency conversion una dey use compare countries na grin

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Chibuezem(m): 3:33am On Oct 25, 2023
Obagreatdatoye:

You are not making sense...
1dollar to 1 naira is ....#884.
That's the official price.
So why are people screaming that 1 dollar equals 1240 naira?
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Chibuezem(m): 3:35am On Oct 25, 2023
StreetFight:

If you are not mentally unstable, then you will only compare Kenya to Ebonyi state alone
Omo you need to see a psychiatrist ASAP..... Your delusions are out of this world.
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Chibuezem(m): 3:43am On Oct 25, 2023
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa ooo

I have never seen any group of people so foolish like the Nigerians

The moment you call any country, they will start rubbishing their own.

No wonder an average Nigerian is never contented with what he/she have, but always looking at the next neighbor's own even if his own is more better than theirs.

That is why the high rate of crime in this country is ever growing.

Call one place or country in the world that you can get work without connections. They still bribe till date to win contracts in developed countries.
My cousins are all working in the U.S because of 70% connection and 30% merit, what about my in-laws in Europe same thing too.

The same Kenya that see Lagos as London is now better than Nigeria as a country
Apart from Nairobi, call another city that is more better or developed there?

If Nigerians are not doing Uncle Toms work which they are known worldwide for (Certified house Niggas), they are rubbishing their country.

Later they will say investors are not coming angry angry
keep quiet pls you that is patriotic to Nigeria has the exchange rate of dollar to naira dropped for you?, Do you have 24 hr electricity? Can you comfortably travel to Imo state singing The national Anthem? Can you preach the gospel in Maiduguri?.... It is you that is foolish. ;Di agree that corruption is everywhere but this corruption in Nigeria favors you and politicians... The common man is suffering every day.
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Myer(m): 5:01am On Oct 25, 2023
olulekan1992:
Securing a new job is a significant life event that comes with excitement, challenges, and opportunities. The process of finding employment varies across countries due to cultural, economic, and social factors. Nigeria and Kenya, two prominent African nations, exhibit unique differences in their approaches to job hunting and employment. In this article, we will explore the distinctions between getting a new job in Nigeria and Kenya, shedding light on the diverse experiences of job seekers in these countries.

Cultural Influences on Job Searching

Nigeria: Emphasis on Networking and Personal Connections
In Nigeria, securing a job often relies heavily on personal connections and networking. The concept of "who you know" is crucial, and job seekers frequently rely on friends, family, and acquaintances to learn about job openings. Informal networks and referrals play a significant role in the recruitment process.

Kenya: Merit-Based Hiring and Professionalism
Contrastingly, Kenya emphasizes merit-based hiring even in latest jobs in Kenya, where qualifications, skills, and experience take precedence. While networking is still important, professionalism and a strong educational background are highly valued. Kenyan job seekers often focus on enhancing their skills and qualifications to stand out in a competitive job market.

Job Application Processes
Nigeria: Embracing Traditional Methods
In Nigeria, traditional job application methods such as submitting physical resumes and attending in-person interviews are still prevalent. Many companies prefer receiving hard copies of resumes and conducting face-to-face interviews to assess candidates.

Kenya: Embracing Technology and Online Platforms
In Kenya, the job application process has embraced technology. Online job portals, professional networking sites, and email applications are commonly used. Kenyan job seekers leverage online platforms to apply for positions and connect with potential employers, making the job search process more streamlined and efficient.

Work Ethic and Professionalism

Nigeria: Emphasis on Personal Relationships in the Workplace
In Nigeria, workplace relationships are highly valued. Building strong interpersonal connections with colleagues and superiors is considered essential for a successful career. Informal communication and personal rapport often influence professional interactions.

Kenya: Professionalism and Work Ethics
In Kenya, there is a strong emphasis on professionalism, punctuality, and adherence to work ethics. Kenyan employees are expected to maintain a high level of professionalism in their conduct, with a focus on delivering results and meeting deadlines. Formal communication and adherence to professional codes are standard in Kenyan workplaces.

Job Security and Employment Stability

Nigeria: Job Security Challenges
Job security in Nigeria can be a challenge due to economic uncertainties and fluctuations. Many job positions are contract-based, leading to concerns about employment stability. The oil-dependent economy of Nigeria is susceptible to global market fluctuations, impacting the stability of various industries.

Kenya: Diversified Economy and Stable Job Market
Kenya boasts a more diversified economy, with a focus on sectors such as agriculture, technology, and services. The country's stable job market offers a wider range of employment opportunities. Additionally, efforts to promote entrepreneurship and innovation contribute to a dynamic job market in Kenya.

Conclusion

In conclusion, while both Nigeria and Kenya share the goal of providing employment opportunities for their citizens, the approaches to job searching and employment differ significantly between the two countries. Nigeria places a strong emphasis on personal connections and informal networks, whereas Kenya prioritizes merit-based hiring, professionalism, and technological advancements. Understanding these differences is essential for job seekers navigating the employment landscapes of these nations, enabling them to adapt their strategies and increase their chances of success in securing new employment opportunities.
This is so well articulated and presented.
You should send this to a professional media House like Business Week or PunchNews etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Raylight2(m): 10:22am On Oct 25, 2023
If you travel to Kenya and you have no strong ties with Nigeria, you won't want to come back. I spent 6 months there as a student required to come back home that was why I returned. Those who returned before me kept calling wishing they could return back to Kenya but if you've never travelled, you'd think Nigeria is giant. The truth is they respect us. They like our songs. Once they know you are Nigerian, they want to talk about Burna Boy, talk about music. After that, they ask about the corruption in Nigeria. We try to convince them that things are not that bad trying to protect where we long. They they say, they'd like to visit and stay in Nigeria. At that point , I say in my mind . "You don't know what you are saying". Most Nigerian men marry their ladies to stay back. You think there's no reason.

We travelled for 12 hours from Nairobi to Mombasa on road without potholes. Steady electricity. Let me stop. Nigeria is a great nation but I want to Japa because I believe I can better help me I am outside. They said if you will save someone in a well, you don't stay in the well with him. If we must help Nigeria through direct investment in this country, then so would have to leave.

When I said investment, I mean investment in agriculture. Electricity no go affect my produce apart from the cost of labour.
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by motymop: 11:16am On Oct 25, 2023
Raylight2:
If you travel to Kenya and you have no strong ties with Nigeria, you won't want to come back. I spent 6 months there as a student required to come back home that was why I returned. Those who returned before me kept calling wishing they could return back to Kenya but if you've never travelled, you'd think Nigeria is giant. The truth is they respect us. They like our songs. Once they know you are Nigerian, they want to talk about Burna Boy, talk about music. After that, they ask about the corruption in Nigeria. We try to convince them that things are not that bad trying to protect where we long. They they say, they'd like to visit and stay in Nigeria. At that point , I say in my mind . "You don't know what you are saying". Most Nigerian men marry their ladies to stay back. You think there's no reason.

We travelled for 12 hours from Nairobi to Mombasa on road without potholes. Steady electricity. Let me stop. Nigeria is a great nation but I want to Japa because I believe I can better help me I am outside. They said if you will save someone in a well, you don't stay in the well with him. If we must help Nigeria through direct investment in this country, then so would have to leave.

When I said investment, I mean investment in agriculture. Electricity no go affect my produce apart from the cost of labour.

I used the SGR from nairobi to mombassa(5 hours journey\) and i was impressed with their roads, i was seeing all their roads from the SGR window, as you rightly said no port holes.

Monbassa was the bomb for me especially in diani beach, it was heaven on earth, lot of beach resorts in Diani beach.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by Raylight2(m): 11:27am On Oct 25, 2023
motymop:

I used the SGR from nairobi to mombassa(5 hours journey\) and i was impressed with their roads, i was seeing all their roads from the SGR window, as you rightly said no port holes.

Monbassa was the bomb for me especially in diani beach, it was heaven on earth, lot of beach resorts in Diani beach.

I was at North Coast Beach Hotel owned by the Kenyatta University
Re: Differences Between Getting A New Job In Nigeria And Kenya by motymop: 3:13pm On Oct 25, 2023
Raylight2:

I was at North Coast Beach Hotel owned by the Kenyatta University

Interesting, i was at boa boa, the last time i was in Mombasa. Nice place to be, just in front of the blue ocean

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Work Online From Home And Get Paid Daily And Directly / Peace Corps Of Nigeria What Is Your View About Them / Internship: Dataville Research LLC Remote Graduate Internship Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.