Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports (12817 Views)

EFCC Raids Speculators As Naira Drops To $1,520/$ / Tin Can Road: Union Orders Members To Shut Seaports / Nigeria’s Fuel Import Drops By 42% To N1.7trn In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Kukutente23: 7:32am On Oct 25, 2023
Afromentalist:

Comparing apples and orange. You can't compare Obi and tinubu that way because they are following different paths. You can only compare them based on how well they have achieved success in their respective paths.

Obi is an entrepreneur and now politician. As an entrepreneur he has done poorly. Remember he started with $ 100 millions inherited from his own father. Taken that into account being the chairman of Nigerian banks with that kind of cash is an easy thing. You just have to buy up to 10% of their shares. His businesses were at best average and mostly failures. There is no single business of Obi that I am aware of that is doing very well. Competitors that started at the same time with Next don bury and relegated it to a shadow.

As politician Obi is average. He managed to be governor but his performance was average. His greatest achievement as a governor is saving money in his own banks (which is a crime). Not too bad to save money but not the best approach.

Now even in crime it takes genius to Excell. Tinubu is likely a criminal / using illegal ways, but he does that with higher intelligence than Obi. Instead of saving states money in your own bank and earn interest from it, why not improve tax collection and take your cut from it? In doing so you help the state and help yourself that is the Alpha beta / Tinubu Approach. In doing so , thou shall not be caught remains the law!

As a politician/academic/financial mind Tinubu is very well way above Obi's league. His path to success at state and national level was highly difficult but he overcame it all.

Ask Obi what is the point of being a governor and doing average/good if the next person will destroy all you have done? Tinubu taught him a lesson there: as a leader think always of the next generation that must consolidate and reinforce what you did if not it will be worse after your departure.

Abeg don't compare both. Tinubu is very unique in Nigeria and leagues above Atiku and Obi.
Hmmm. Good morning.
When i read posts like this from youths, I'm disappointed at how politics has dealt with their ability to think, seek truth for themselves and apply the truth in their judgement.

1. Kindly show with proof that Obi inherited $100m from his parents. That is without any bias towards the fact that tinubu claimed to have inherited properties as well.

2. Kindly quote the law which criminalised a governor saving (not investing) state money in a bank he has shares in. I hope you realise most govs since 1999 have saved their state monies in banks they have interest in.

3. Kindly explain how a gov will get interest from money he saved in a bank he has shares in. Do you understand how the banking system works at all?

4. It's funny that you spray perfume on Tinubu's criminality as you confirmed while criminalising Obi's saving decision as a gov. Mind you, Tinubu can't even own up to alpha beta. So to you, taking a monthly cut off a state's tax (tax from sweat of market men and women, traders, artisans, civil servants etc) to enrich yourself is a very smart thing to do?
If Obi saved money in his bank and allegedly got interest from it, how com you think collecting tax and simply taking from it is a smarter way than that. At least the interest from the bank is not anybody's sweat. It is corporate income. For you to think Tinubu is smarter by robbing from both the poor and the rich (their tax) unlike Obi whom you (falsely) claim stole only from the rich (bank interest in this case) shows your value judgement.
Proverbs22:22 clearly says "Do not rob from the poor or plunder the oppressed for the Lord will plead their cause and plunder those who plunder those who plunder them". So how smart is a criminal who is inviting God's wrath. You should examine your morality for praising that kind of thing. It's a crime against God and man.

5. Democracy is not a monarchy of dynasty with a line of succession. That's not the idea of democracy. The people should be free to decide if they want a governor who will come and destroy whatever the predecessor has done just as we have in Kano presently. That's the idea of democracy. Let the people decide for themselves how they want to be led and who wants to lead them. The fact that you think the process being practiced in Lagos is such a good thing shows how faulty your reasoning and understanding of democracy is. A state is not a personal business. It is for you to do yours and let others come and do theirs. What is being practiced in Lagos is oligarchy, reason why Lagos has the highest debt despite having the biggest revenue of all states with snail like development which they employ hallelujah boys to trumpet and defend.
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Akposkiz: 8:27am On Oct 25, 2023
The worst and naira has never been falling to this at the parallel market to #1,210 to the usdollar.
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Afromentalist: 8:43am On Oct 25, 2023
Hello,
Kukutente23:
1. proof that Obi inherited $100m from his parents.

Peter Obi said it himself in an interview for The candidate. In fact, I was wrong about the amount sef, it was $170 Millions https://gidibase.com.ng/news/i-inherited-170-million-from-my-parents-peter-obi/

For reference, Dangote started with a 400k loan.

Kukutente23:

2. Kindly quote the law which criminalised a governor saving (not investing) state money in a bank he has shares in. I hope you realise most govs since 1999 have saved their state monies in banks they have interest in.

Article 7(4) and Article 8- Conflict of Interest, Code of Conduct for Public Officers
"A Public Officer shall not put himself[b] in a position where his personal interest conflicts with his duties and responsibilities"

Kukutente23:
3. Kindly explain how a gov will get interest from money he saved in a bank he has shares in. Do you understand how the banking system works at all?

If you don't know this then I am wasting my time discussing with you. By the way, I am a financial analyst, consultant for international companies.

Obi earned money from that $75 million because the Banks used that money to lend out and earned interest from it. The interest grew the profitability and Equity of the bank. Remember, Banks can lend up to 8 times the amount saved in their treasury. It means for $75 millions, Obi saved in his banks, they could lend 75 x 8 = $375 millions to their clients, at minimum of 12% and above per annum. This means, Obi's bank earned a minimum of $45 millions yearly as interest from that $75 millions.

Kukutente23:
4. It's funny that you spray perfume on Tinubu's criminality as you confirmed while criminalising Obi's saving decision as a gov.

Again you are wasting my time as you completed missed the point. Both are criminals (Obi and Tinubu). In fact, any politician is likely a criminal as it is required to manage men. Human beings are animals, and until you are ready to deal with shi*t, you can't be a leader of men successfully. What I am saying is that Tinubu's criminality is more intelligent than Obi's. [/b]Please I hate to waste my time.

Kukutente23:
5. Democracy is not a monarchy of dynasty with a line of succession.

You are daydreaming. Even within a democratic system, a good leader always tries to ensure the next leader builds on what he did instead of destroying it. In the US, most outgoing president campaign and work for their choosen successor. It might work or it might not. Obi has failed to produce a successor, in whatever area. Do you know that after Georges Washington, the next 7 presidents of the US were all secretaries or vice presidents under him or his successor? That is how you build a long lasting and vibrant economy.

[b]Can you name one big politician / entrepreuneur that is a son of Obi?
Even Atiku has political sons such as Dino Melaye. Obi has none, he is improductive. He just captured labour party for his own sake and goals. Tinubu built APC from the scratch, built great men in their hundreds. Even if Obi becomes president, you can be sure that in his goverment there will be at least 2 people that are sons of Tinubu one way or the other.
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Kukutente23: 9:39am On Oct 25, 2023
Afromentalist:
Hello,

Peter Obi said it himself in an interview for The candidate. In fact, I was wrong about the amount sef, it was $170 Millions https://gidibase.com.ng/news/i-inherited-170-million-from-my-parents-peter-obi/

For reference, Dangote started with a 400k loan.
I'm happy you gave a link yourself. Unfortunately, you exposed what i have identified to be a malady in today's youth. The inability to read and seek truth for themselves. I would have asked you to quote where he particularly claimed to inherit a $170million business in your link but since you are already accusing me of wasting your time, let me share snippets of what I think you're referring to. You are free to correct me.
Peter Obi was asked why he invested $30million of Anambra state funds in a company owned by him. In response, Peter claimed the company belonged to his parents and that because he knows the future of the company, he invested 15% of the company's shares at $30m for Anambra people and 85% remained with his family

Note that this was while he was governor. If the business was worth $170m while he was governor according to your calculation from the above, (which is wrong because 15% of 170 is not 30) how then does that imply he inherited $100m? Can you please explain how a family business purportedly worth $170m translates to an $100m personal inheritance in your books.

To defeat your claim further, here's the concluding part of your link:
He also explained that there has been a 3.3% growth that has seen Anambra state's 15% share value hit $100m whereas that of his parents gone up to $561m

From the above quote, the company has actually gone over 300% of its worth. That means the "inheritance" has grown larger than what it was which puts a lie to your claim that Obi's business is not doing well. Remember, this is from your own link. It shows you never read it. You just dumped it on me.

Article 7(4) and Article 8- Conflict of Interest, Code of Conduct for Public Officers
"A Public Officer shall not put himself[b] in a position where his personal interest conflicts with his duties and responsibilities"
Again, you have messed things up. The bank is not his personal business. He has shares there and it is possible he has shares in other banks as well but it is not his personal business. Do you understand that? The law says his personal business must not conflict with his duties and responsibilities. The bank is a publicly quoted private company and not Obi's bank. That is why i said you should read and make informed opinion. Like i already told you, so many govs both former and serving put monies in banks they have shares in. It is for ease of accessing loans and other underhand activities they might want to involve in and it is clearly not illegal because a bank is corporately run and not a personal business.

If you don't know this then I am wasting my time discussing with you. By the way, I am a financial analyst, consultant for international companies.

Obi earned money from that $75 million because the Banks used that money to lend out and earned interest from it. The interest grew the profitability and Equity of the bank. Remember, Banks can lend up to 8 times the amount saved in their treasury. It means for $75 millions, Obi saved in his banks, they could lend 75 x 8 = $375 millions to creditors, at minimum 12% and above per annum. This means, Obi's bank earned a minimum of $45 millions yearly as interest from that $75 millions.

First of all, it is not true that a bank can lend up to 8 times its depositor's amount. The last LTDR publicly quoted in Nigeria was 60%. That's 60% of 75 and not 75*8.For a financial analyst, you sure exhibit a lot of ignorance. You think a bank is like a roadside shop where you pull money at will? So let us assume that your calculation is correct. Tell me when Fidelity which is the bank in question announced a dividend of $45millions to its shareholders. Decisions on dividend payments and bonuses are not arrived at by a single individual so to claim Obi made money yearly from saving money in the bank is a big fat lie which you have no evidence of but just jumped to conclusion out of political bias. It is same bias that just made you tell a blatant lie that a bank can lend 8 times the amount in its treasury. How does that even make sense? Where will the money come from?

Again you are wasting my time as you completed missed the point. Both are criminals (Obi and Tinubu). In fact, any politician is likely a criminal as it is required to manage men. Human beings are animals, and until you are ready to deal with shi*t, you can't be a leader of men successfully. [b]What I am saying is that Tinubu's criminality is more intelligent than Obi's. [/b]Please I hate to waste my time.
You have stylishly sidestep how blatantly robbing even the poor of their tax is a more intelligent way than corporately profiting from a bank. It is Tinubu that was in default of the conflict of interest code you quoted above which is why he used a front for alpha beta. Why can't he come out till today to boldly claim ownership of the company? Even when the former MD of the company, who claimed he owned the original idea behind alpha beta (this is the reason you think Tinubu is smart. He stole Apara's idea and inserted himself in it. Alpha beta was never Tinubu's original idea. He only used his position as gov to profit from it) took Tinubu to court, Tinubu hurriedly settled out of court! That's the man you're claiming is a smart criminal. Smart criminal my foot!

You are daydreaming. Even within a democratic system, a good leader always tries to ensure the next leader builds on what he did instead of destroying it. In the US, most outgoing president campaign and work for their choosen successor. It might work or it might not. Obi has failed to produce a leader, in whatever area.

Can you name one big politician / entrepreuneur that is a son of Obi? Even Atiku has political sons such as Dino Melaye. Obi has none, he is improductive. He just captured labour party for his own sake and goals. Tinubu built APC from the scratch, built great men in their hundreds. Even if Obi becomes president, you can be sure that in his goverment there will be at least 2 people that are sons of Tinubu one way or the other.
Obi handpicked Obiano his successor. Just because he chose to not run rings around him does not mean he failed to produce a leader. Not everyone is insatiable and greedy. Dino is not Atiku's political son. You don't know much and it is obvious with the way you tell different lies.
Tinubu did not build APC from scratch. APC was an amalgamation of different political parties including some PDP members. Tinubu however built AC/ACN from scratch.
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Afromentalist: 10:45am On Oct 25, 2023
Kukutente23:
Damm. How can somebody be so stupid and be proud of it. I am discussing the money multiplier effect, you are talking about the loan to deposit ratio? Secondly what made you think I am nigerian?

I hate to waste my time.
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by Kukutente23: 11:49am On Oct 25, 2023
Afromentalist:

Damm. How can somebody be so stupid and be proud of it. I am discussing the money multiplier effect, you are talking about the loan to deposit ratio? Secondly what made you think I am nigerian?

I hate to waste my time.
grin grin
You had to right? You had no other choice than to resort to insults since you've been defeated with facts.
You're just a compulsive liar who can't stop lying.
You claimed a bank can lend up to 8 times the amount in its deposit. For an acclaimed financial expert, you're obviously clueless.
For a non- Nigerian to be lying on behalf of Nigerian politicians and even choosing which of them is his favourite criminal shows something is definitely wrong with you.
Your head no correct as they say in Nigeria grin
Re: High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:53pm On Nov 18, 2023
SeaTrade:
What will Obi do differently to boost the so called exports you've been screaming about?
You want to export finished goods and sell to who?What will you or Obi even export?
How long will it take you?
Where will the forex to use to import heavy duty machines your sudden industrialisation projects will need come from if you don't manage imports via substitution?
You think you'll just wake up overnight and start exporting and go and break years of acquired capacity and industry relationships and even lines of credit with giants because one fool who don't even own a viable business is saying so right?
Obi is just a good Orator but a serious dunderhead and calamity that Nigerians chose to pass on and I respect them for that,
Tinubu was the best amongst all three but your hunger driven tribalism and basic depravity can't let you see that because you actually need to be comfortable enough and roll with technocrats and doers to be truly enlightened,which you can't be caught dead in those circles.
Shut up,insulting Obi does not make you smart,you are a drop out and not smarter than most Educated people that chose Obi,if not for illetrates in the North controlled by their governor's,Tinubu won't be president.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Are You Surviving In Your Business With Electricity Problem? / Coscharistech Gets NITDA Approval For Production Of Cosmos Computers / Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.