Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi (8354 Views)

What Is Wrong With 1999 Constitution? / Kaycee Madu Appointed Justice Minister In Canada / Buhari, Northerners Cheating Us With 1999 Constitution — Ayo Adebanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by BluntCrazeMan: 10:41pm On Oct 24, 2023
NOTHING WRONG WITH 1999 CONSTITUTION — EX-JUSTICE MINISTER, AGABI.

A former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Kanu Agabi, SAN, has declared that there is nothing wrong with Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution.

Agabi spoke on Monday at the National Conference 2023 of the Forum of Former Deputy Governors of Nigeria, FFDGN, in Abuja.

The erstwhile Justice Minister emphasized the need for the nation to begin to respect the Constitution and called for a National Integration Commission.

According to him, “There are some of us who feel that the Constitution is an invalid document, it is illegitimate, and that it is a product of the Military. That is a wrong position. We have a constitution and must observe it.

“There is nothing wrong with our Constitution. Even if it is a broken-down vehicle, it is the vehicle that we have.

“However good the Constitution is, it is not a self-enforcing document; it requires good people to enforce it. It is not intended to be a perfect document. The nation must begin to respect the Constitution.

“We should have a National Integration Commission. Once a nation adopts a presidential system of government, unity is no longer optional.

“I appeal to the Federal Government to come to terms with people who dissent this administration. We have hope, we shall get there”.

On his part, the Chairman of the FFDGN, Chris Akomas, spoke on the need for all sectors to rally around to ensure the country’s progress.

Akomas, a former Deputy Governor in Abia, noted that Nigeria needs all Nigerians’ input to function.

Source:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/10/nothing-wrong-with-1999-constitution-ex-justice-minister-agabi

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by BluntCrazeMan: 10:41pm On Oct 24, 2023
In my own opinion:

EVERYTHING IS TOTALLY WRONG WITH THE 1999 CONSTITUTION...

________
________
What the people are saying about the 1999 Constitution is very simple..
“We need A TOTAL OVERHAUL of the Existing 1999 Constitution”.

We are not saying that the 1999 Constitution should be thrown away for a totally new Constitution to be created.

The simple truth is this:

The 1999 Constitution - And Including All It's Amendments So Far - And Also Including All The Laws Made And Passed So Far In Nigeria, were all made and enacted only for the good people.

ONLY GOOD PEOPLE (AND WELL-BEHAVED PEOPLE) WERE BORNE IN MIND WHILE ALL THE NIGERIAN LAWS WERE MADE.

Thus, we need our Law-Makers to amend the Constitution in such a way that it also takes the bad persons and bad behaviours into account..

In order to achieve this, our Law-Makers must deliberately look again through the Constitution with a “criminal-mindset” (critical-thinking is the actual phrase) in order to put the constitution in a better shape.

WE NEED A CONSTITUTION THAT DOESN'T ASSUME THAT ALL THE CITIZENS HAD ALREADY KNOWN THE RIGHT THINGS AND THE GOOD THINGS TO BE DONE..
WE DON'T NEED A CONSTITUTION THAT ALWAYS SEES THINGS IN ONLY ONE DIRECTION OF BEING GOOD, AND THEREFORE ALWAYS ADDRESSING ISSUES IN ONLY THE SUPPOSEDLY GOOD WAYS - WITHOUT CONSIDERING EVERY OTHER POSSIBLE OPTIONS THAT ARE NOT SO GOOD.

The Constitution is supposed to be for Everybody..
BOTH THE GOOD AND BAD ONES..
And not only the Good Ones Alone.

Thus, we need total overhauling of this current constitution, and all the other enacted laws too.

_________
_________
Anyone can argue the above submissions of mine from now till eternity..

No Wahalla...

_________
But I will use the recently enacted Electoral-Act-2022 to show a typical example of what I mean.

At first, I read the Electoral-Act-2022 with a very simple mindset; and I concluded that it was so good, and very okay..
I believed that Nothing was wrong with it..
I even read it many more times, yet with very simple mindset, and it continued to seem so cool to me.

Until the time I read it with a “criminal-mindset” thinking,, Ommoohh!!
That was when I realized that ALMOST EVERYTHING was so wrong with the Electoral-Act-2022..
I was totally baffled..

In-Fact.. I had to open a thread here on Nairaland where I tried to document all my findings on those things that were wrong with the Electoral-Act-2022.

Here below is the thread: 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏼👇🏿

https://www.nairaland.com/7829648/suggested-amendments-electoral-act-2022-plus-transmission

______
______
I have read the 1999 Constitution many times too..
But I have not yet calmed myself down and read over it again thoroughly, “with a criminal-mindset thinking”, in order to spot and fish-out all those shady areas where the Constitution left out a lot of things for granted..,, and be hoping that the bad eggs in the society wouldn't notice all those numerous loopholes..

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by BluntCrazeMan: 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2023
This Agabi (and people who think and behave like him) is (are) part of the major problems we have in this our Nigeria..

He is busy reading the 1999 Constitution like as if he is a good person, (and with the mindset of a good person), and thus he saw nothing wrong with the Constitution. But when he goes out there in the wild, the same him will still go and deliberately do the wrong thing, JUST BECAUSE THE CONSTITUTION DIDN'T ENVISAGE THE WRONGDOING..

“There is nothing wrong with our Constitution. Even if it is a broken-down vehicle, it is the vehicle that we have”.
So,, if the vehicle is broken-down, we cannot repair it?
We cannot overhaul it??

(Is this man crazy like this? Or what exactly is he trying to mean with these words??)

“However good the Constitution is, it is not a self-enforcing document; IT REQUIRES GOOD PEOPLE TO ENFORCE IT. It is not intended to be a perfect document. The nation must begin to respect the Constitution”.
See the exact thing I was just saying in the other comment..
He even went and mentioned it Kawwaaii.!!

So, the good people should continue to enforce the Constitution?
And what about the bad people??
They should continue to desecrate the Constitution anyhow they like??

“We should have a National Integration Commission. Once a nation adopts a presidential system of government, unity is no longer optional”.
And what exactly is the so-called National Integration Commission supposed to be? What exactly is their work??
Ok..
I see..!!
It's just another money-draining Commission to be created out of another enacted one-sided shabbily established law, supposed to be constituted of ONLY GOOD PEOPLE who are already supposed to have known all the right things they should be doing in the commission; and in the end, the so-called commission becomes a total failure, just because bad people and misfits were the ones who made up the so-called Commission.

“.....We have hope, we shall get there”.
This is the type of hope that destroys.

If you find yourself on the edge of a cliff, the best thing to do is to leave there.
And if you must stay there, then you must tie life-ropes to yourself and anchor them to strong supports - just in case.

So that, should you happen to fall off the edge of the cliff, you already have strong life-ropes ready to save you when the worst happens..

WHAT THEN CAN “HOPE” ALONE DO IN THE CASE YOU DON'T HAVE LIFE-ROPE TIED TO YOURSELF??
Ooohh..!!
I see...!!
“Hope” will bring the ground below the edge of the cliff up to some extent, so that the impending impact on the ground wouldn't be so devastating..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by LeoDeKing: 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2023
Something is wrong with the constitution.

I still don't understand why one state was split into 5 and the constitution recognises them as states.

That constitution is very wrong for recognising those 5 unproductive villages as states. They should all be combined to form a single state. angry

14 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Jostoman: 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2023
So where are the good judges in nigeria supreme court to enforce the constitution?
Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by meum: 11:02pm On Oct 24, 2023
That thing get comma abeg. Check wetin CONFAB recommend that time you go see.

10 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by YourNextLevel(m): 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2023
1999, 1999 amendment even the new laws, what good are they when a common man cannot believe their outcomes?

Anyways i just read twice today that the economy will bounce back soon.

When i see some names on the headlines, i skip without reading it because is already trash

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by kennethesan(m): 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2023
How can anything be wrong with it when it is just as wicked as u

6 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by BigBlackPreek(m): 11:04pm On Oct 24, 2023
Nekwa?
Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by theamazonguru(m): 11:06pm On Oct 24, 2023
Interesting I can't believe what I just read.
Which 1999 constitution is okay?
Nonsense and Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by wink2015(m): 11:06pm On Oct 24, 2023
NORTHERNERS SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF RESTRUCTURING.

They wrongly feel they will loose so much if they are told to be self reliant without the need for crude oil money.

Stipends called federal allocation is what that is setting many of the states in northern Nigeria backward.

Nigeria should go back to the 1960 or 1963 constitution.

Regional government were very productive then compared to now when States in Nigeria settled for stipends.

The Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo developed the western region with money generated from cocoa export.

Any none oil producing states still surviving on federal government allocation is deceiving itself.

NIGERIA MUST INVEST IN AGRICULTURE.

We should stop deceiving ourselves.

Ukraine, Botswana, Kenya, Zimbabwe, etc are making a lot of money in Agricultural food products export.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Bode2: 11:07pm On Oct 24, 2023
The constitution that empowers the president to appoint the INEC chairman despite the president being a beneficiary of the electioneering process is wrong in all ramifications.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by richiemcgold: 11:08pm On Oct 24, 2023
1999 constitution may not be a perfect one, but it was never the cause of our problem.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by donnie(m): 11:09pm On Oct 24, 2023
Na them. Till now, no Ogoja state.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Burob: 11:11pm On Oct 24, 2023
Jostoman:
So where are the good judges in nigeria supreme court to enforce the constitution?
Nothing wrong with the constitution 1999 As Amended, something wrong with the animals that practice the constitution, give them the United States constitution of 1776, Na still failures they go be.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by obembet(f): 11:12pm On Oct 24, 2023
Am not surprised, most of Kanu no dey get sense

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Burob: 11:13pm On Oct 24, 2023
donnie:
Na them. Till now, no Ogoja state.
Name one state way democrazy done create?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Quest7777: 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2023
Solution to our problems starts with Restructuring that has to do with devolution of powers to the States or Regions and control of their resources.
Evert State or Region will then compete and strive to be self-sufficient.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by frog12: 11:16pm On Oct 24, 2023
the type minister that allows lawlessness to continue.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by wink2015(m): 11:21pm On Oct 24, 2023
richiemcgold:
1999 constitution may be a perfect one, but it was never the cause of our problem.

So many things is wrong with the 1999 constitution because Nigeria is not practicing True Federalism.

The constitution was drafted by the General Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd) military government.

The same military boys that scuttled the parliamentary democracy that Great Britain gave Nigeria in 1960 at Independence.

Nigeria needs true federal constitution to make the core north and the south very productive.

7 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Popfunds: 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2023
grin
Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Judolisco(m): 11:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
Your honor, sorry sir,.... Yansh dey pain you.... If after 24 yrs we are still wallowing in the quagmire of ignorance, finding it difficult to progress or make informed decisions....then something is definitely wrong with the constitution

Senators buying 160m naira car each while telling the masses to endure the brunt of fuel subsidy removal grin.... Oga former minister u Don benefit from d yeye Constitution so nothing go dey wrong with am to you

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by DeltaOil: 11:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
Nigeria is full of fools angry

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by Think9ja(m): 11:44pm On Oct 24, 2023
By the special grace of God, this rubbish called Nigeria must collapse in my lifetime.

Nigeria must be ended to save future generations. We don't have money for another passport but we have prayer and wishes to give.

Nigeria was a mistake of a country
A truly disastrous mistake from the British
God sef don comot hand for Nigeria matter

#endNigeria2saveDNextGeneration

3 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by divide9ja: 11:53pm On Oct 24, 2023
Think9ja:
By the special grace of God, this rubbish called Nigeria must collapse in my lifetime.

Nigeria must be ended to save future generations. We don't have money for another passport but we have prayer and wishes to give.

Nija must break in Jesus name,so that all regions go sabi who be boss.
Lets stop sharing our oil revenue from the Niger Delta and let my igbo bros leave Lagos.
Then we go see how the parasites up hill will survive & the skull miners will generate money with companies down sizing in Lagos with ships no more going to apapa by default.

Dem eyes go soon clear angry

3 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by immortalmortal: 11:54pm On Oct 24, 2023
H
Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by LAXconfidential(m): 12:16am On Oct 25, 2023
divide9ja:

Nija must break in Jesus name,so that all regions go now sabi who be boss.
Lets stop sharing our oil revenue from the Niger Delta and let my igbo bros leave Lagos.
Then we go see how the parasites up hill will survive & the skull miners will generate money with companies down sizing in Lagos with ships no more going to apapa by default.

Dem eyes go soon clear angry

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by ezegenigbonine: 12:18am On Oct 25, 2023
Wetin this ugeb man dey talk, see him head like dragon fly

7 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by LAXconfidential(m): 12:26am On Oct 25, 2023
Think9ja:

Re: Nothing Wrong With 1999 Constitution — Ex-Justice Minister, Agabi by LAXconfidential(m): 12:27am On Oct 25, 2023
DeltaOil:
Nigeria is full of fools angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Navy Ship Caused Haiti Earthquake / SAD YORUBA NATION? / Ohanaeze Replies Fredrick Nwabufo, Says Igbos Are Prepared For 2023 Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.