Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,561 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! (9259 Views)

Flee All Agents.... Your Encounter / Must We All Travel Abroad??? / Attention All Travel Agents & Scammers & Guillible Travel Enthusiasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 24, 2011
Justwise, this is just a suggestion, please feel free to delete it, if it's inappropriate.

In the Auto section, there was a thread started, whereby all dealers (and regular traders of parts, accessories etc) were invited to email the Moderators with the following information:

01) Their full names.
02) Their business details.
03) Their telephone numbers (if applicable).
04) Their mobile numbers.
05) Their email addresses.
06) Their office / home addresses.
07) Their website (if applicable).

This call for compliance was by no means mandatory, but it allowed for more confidence and transparency in traders. There was a deadline for compliance, those that failed to comply were still allowed to trade, but of course, potential buyers were able to draw their own conclusions for non-compliance.

Those that supply the requested data can be announced at a later date. The Travel section needs this more than the Auto section, seeing as there are more sharks trawling the murky waters. Those that advertise as "Ticket" or "Travel Agents" can also supply their Certificates of Accredition. Travel Agents definitely have to be registered, those self-styled ones are simply con artists looking to ensnare the unwary. "Visa Agents" are con artists, and threads offering such services should be deleted. Unverified persons leaving their details to be contacted off the boards, should be viewed as suspicious. More so, if someone opens a thread, asking for advice, and these unverified persons leave their details, saying "call me," or "email me."

This is my take on things.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by justwise(m): 10:26pm On Oct 24, 2011
Siena:

Justwise, this is just a suggestion, please feel free to delete it, if it's inappropriate.

In the Auto section, there was a thread started, whereby all dealers (and regular traders of parts, accessories etc) were invited to email the Moderators with the following information:

01) Their full names.

This call for compliance was by no means mandatory, but it allowed for more confidence and transparency in traders. There was a deadline for compliance, those that failed to comply were still allowed to trade, but of course, potential buyers were able to draw their own conclusions for non-compliance.

Those that supply the requested data can be announced at a later date. The Travel section needs this mare than the Auto section, seeing as there are more sharks trawling the murky waters. Those that advertise as "Ticket" or "Travel Agents" can also supply their Certificates of Accredition. Travel Agents definitely have to be registered, those self-styled ones are simply con artists looking to ensnare the unwary. "Visa Agents" are con artists, and threads offering such services should be deleted. Unverified persons leaving their details to be contacted off the boards, should be viewed as suspicious. More so, if someone opens a thread, asking for advice, and these unverified persons leave their details, saying "call me," or "email me."

Thanks a lot for this, i think its a good idea. I will consult my boss. . Dis Guy and super-Mod then stick it.

Thanks again.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 24, 2011
^^^ No worries, JW.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by DisGuy: 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2011
Very good suggestions!

lets see how it goes, doubt more than one person scaling through lol, probably revert back to status quo,
The target audience of both sections I believe are very different

As it's not mandatory and not verifiable- many will just continue with the hide and seek game

But lets give it a go!

I'm not the boss, just a member like everyone else with a little bit of extras

Seun is the Boss!
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 7:32am On Oct 25, 2011

01) Their full names.

Those that supply the requested data can be announced at a later date. The Travel section needs this mare than the Auto section, seeing as there are more sharks trawling the murky waters. Those that advertise as "Ticket" or "Travel Agents" can also supply their Certificates of Accredition. Travel Agents definitely have to be registered, those self-styled ones are simply con artists looking to ensnare the unwary. "Visa Agents" are con artists, and threads offering such services should be deleted. Unverified persons leaving their details to be contacted off the boards, should be viewed as suspicious. More so, if someone opens a thread, asking for advice, and these unverified persons leave their details, saying "call me," or "email me."

Nice idea!!!

Gbammmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by juzme: 8:32am On Oct 25, 2011
Siena:

01) Their full names.

Those that supply the requested data can be announced at a later date. The Travel section needs this more than the Auto section, seeing as there are more sharks trawling the murky waters. Those that advertise as "Ticket" or "Travel Agents" can also supply their Certificates of Accredition. Travel Agents definitely have to be registered, those self-styled ones are simply con artists looking to ensnare the unwary. "Visa Agents" are con artists, and threads offering such services should be deleted. Unverified persons leaving their details to be contacted off the boards, should be viewed as suspicious. More so, if someone opens a thread, asking for advice, and these unverified persons leave their details, saying "call me," or "email me."

I think I have to differ from this suggestion. Auto business is different from travel agency business in the perspective I will be looking at it. Vehicle or the parts are more of physical things you will like to see before you buy them but Visa or even flight ticket is more of abstract when you cannot verify it until you use it or got to your proposed destination.
And the situation Nigeria is today, recommending any travel agent or visa agent may not be the right thing to do. 419ners have physical address and their business registered. There are a lot of people who are desperate to leave Nigeria at all cost.
The Canadian visa agent I heard about here in this forum advertised some media in Nigeria which made some people to believe and trust them.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by justwise(m): 8:44am On Oct 25, 2011
juzme:

I think I have to differ from this suggestion. Auto business is different from travel agency business in the perspective I will be looking at it. Vehicle or the parts are more of physical things you will like to see before you buy them but Visa or even flight ticket is more of abstract when you cannot verify it until you use it or got to your proposed destination.
And the situation Nigeria is today, recommending any travel agent or visa agent may not be the right thing to do. 419ners have physical address and their business registered.  There are a lot of people who are desperate to leave Nigeria at all cost.
The Canadian visa agent I heard about here in this forum advertised some media in Nigeria which made some people to believe and trust them.

While i wait for approval, Siena do you mind if i open this idea for debate? juzme raised some points there.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 9:11am On Oct 25, 2011
And the situation Nigeria is today, recommending any travel agent or visa agent may not be the right thing to do. 419ners have physical address and their business registered.  There are a lot of people who are desperate to leave Nigeria at all cost.

I think there should be clear distinction btw what Siena is suggesting and what pple are mistaking it for. I am sure there is a difference btw "Travel Agent" who handles flight booking and ticketing, travel consultation, hotel reservation and booking and those whose main aim is to procure visa or get fake documents for pple which leading to scamming most of the time. If i am not not mis-interpreting Siena's advice, i think it will help and it's good idea, a way forward on travel section to know some pple with legitimate business in this Travel Agency Services.

01) Their full names.
In addition to this, we will as well require:
08) The full picture of business owner (MD, CEO)
09) Registration Certificates, probably sent to any of the mod or super mod for verification

Gbammmmmmmmmmm over and out

1 Like

Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2011
Collins, thanks for clarifying things.

Justwise, sure, by all means put this up for debate. A poll will also be a good idea, it'll be interesting to see the results.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by justwise(m): 11:24am On Oct 25, 2011
Siena:

Collins, thanks for clarifying things.

Justwise, sure, by all means put this up for debate. A pol[/b]l will also be a good idea, it'll be interesting to see the results.

Ok, i thought about the poll but then i like the way people are giving reasons [b]F[/b]or or [b]A[/b]gainst the idea rather than clicking yes or no else alot of ''visa agents'' will log on with their numerous IDs to vote [b]no
to the idea
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 25, 2011
^^^ You're right, JW. Voting gets rigged in real Nigerian elections, with all the security measures in place. On Nairaland. it'll be worse.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by justwise(m): 11:44am On Oct 25, 2011
Siena:

^^^ You're right, JW. Voting gets rigged in real Nigerian elections, with all the security measures in place. On Nairaland. it'll be worse.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin thats a bit harsh on 9ja
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 25, 2011
^^^ Lol. Harsh, but true.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by suxes2006(m): 9:26am On Oct 26, 2011
I support this BUT needs lotta attention
so that it can be successful. If we can have someone
who can verify these AGENTS that registers their biz
that will be better or better still, like juzzme pointed
its kinda true bur all thesame not all registered agents
are thief

SHALOM
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 11:51am On Oct 26, 2011
I support this BUT needs lotta attention
so that it can be successful. If we can have someone
who can verify these AGENTS that registers their biz
that will be better or better still, like juzzme pointed
its kinda true bur all thesame not all registered agents
are thief

SHALOM

Somehow, I promise to be part of the verification process and in my own case the verification process will take different dimensions. I don't wanna start highlighting how the verification process will be like, it will just be like giving an expo out to the them (Agents) if i start explaining the process here. @JW, i will send you an mail explaining some of these processes procedures. First and foremost, all interested Travel Agency who wish to partner with Nairaland Travel Section forum must comply with the highlighted requirements then the verification process will start.

01) Their full names.
02) Their business details. (Very important)
04) Their mobile numbers. (very important)
05) Their email addresses. (very important)
06) Their office / home addresses. (very very important)
07) Their website (if applicable). (very important)
08) The full picture of business owner (MD, CEO) Very very important)
09) Registration Certificates, probably sent to any of the mod or super mod for verification (Screening process)

Meanwhile, all interested partners must fulfil all listed requirements, and will be verified before such business partner will be announced success and given NLTL (Nairaland Travel Licence) to operate and their activities will be monitored regularly.

Gbammmm over and out

Gbammmmmmmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by imperiouxx(m): 12:00pm On Oct 26, 2011
^^^ this is a good development, at least sheep would be seperated from goats without them asking for Mod's heads anymore.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by alfablondy: 2:19pm On Oct 26, 2011
@ op i support you on this. It will be a good development. Most of the 419 visa or travel agents if not all cannot meet those conditions. Many of them do not have any physical office they use "arrangee" documents and connections to get registered. I am very sure those 419s will not want to give their real identity and pictures.

One more thing i notice recently that the fake visa agents are now running to other sections advertising their business in the middle of threads not related to travelling.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-789037.0.html#msg9421505

The moderators on this section are doing well. it is not just to drive them away from travel section but from Nairaland if possible.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by DisGuy: 2:56pm On Oct 26, 2011
come on Travel agents, your suggestions are needed here!! grin
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 5:26pm On Oct 26, 2011
One more thing i notice recently that the fake visa agents are now running to other sections advertising their business in the middle of threads not related to travelling.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-789037.0.html#msg9421505

The moderators on this section are doing well. it is not just to drive them away from travel section but from Nairaland if possible.

In that case, mod of such section should be compelled to delete such visa advert related posts

Gbammmmmmmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 26, 2011
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by ewaoluwami: 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2011
with what am seeing on dis forum nigeria is going to be among d best 10 country in d world very soon. Great people with great mind may God bless everyone of u. Dis forum is really solution to people's problem. Pls continue d good work. May God bless nigeria.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 7:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
The truth of the matter is that in reality an unscrupulous agent can supply all the things you ask for and more, but if he/she is going to do a runner with someones money, they will and I dont think that anyone here is going to go searching the whole streets of Lagos armed with a picture and an email address for looking for a runaway agent.

I think that this section will be better and the safety of users are better safeguarded if the mods set up a panel of say 10 people who know the ins and outs of the visa process for different countries/situations and they answer questions etc that users may have. That way users are informed and they know what is and what isn't feasible and if an unscrupulous agent offers them heaven and earth at least they can make an informed decision on whether to part with any hard earned money or not.
I don't think you get it, we are not talking about Visa Agents here, and by what i have in mind am sure honest pple with legitimate travel agency business will benefit enormously. Besides, every visa assistance will be dealt with here on this section black and white. At the same time, i am sure many pple will be happy at the end of the verification process to deal with many Travel Agents on matters regarding the following: flight booking and ticketing, travel consultation, hotel reservation and booking and many more except Visa Issuance which am sure no Travel Agent can guarantee you. Pls check previous posts for clarification.

Gbammmmmmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by juzme: 8:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
collinsfbi:

I don't think you get it, we are not talking about Visa Agents here, and by what i have in mind am sure honest pple with legitimate travel agency business will benefit enormously. Besides, every visa assistance will be dealt with here on this section black and white. At the same time, i am sure many pple will be happy at the end of the verification process to deal with many Travel Agents on matters regarding the following: flight booking and ticketing, travel consultation, hotel reservation and booking and many more except Visa Issuance which am sure no Travel Agent can guarantee you. Pls check previous posts for clarification.

Gbammmmmmm over and out

Ticketing, hotel booking and tour packages excluding visa are not the main problem of Nigerians who want migrate to other countries and most adverts on this travel section is all about visa.
Again, I don’t think many legitimate travel agencies (i.e. for ticketing, & hotel booking) in Nigeria care more about advertising their services here in this forum. I don’t genuine Travellers may have any problem buying their genuine ticket from either the airline or from the Travel agencies.
Therefore, if this is only meant for “travel agencies” and not “Visa agent” then I still see nothing much important about this.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 27, 2011
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 8:36am On Oct 27, 2011
Ticketing, hotel booking and tour packages excluding visa are not the main problem of Nigerians who want migrate to other countries and most adverts on this travel section is all about visa.
Again, I don’t think many legitimate travel agencies (i.e. for ticketing, & hotel booking) in Nigeria care more about advertising their services here in this forum. I don’t genuine Travellers may have any problem buying their genuine ticket from either the airline or from the Travel agencies.
Therefore, if this is only meant for “travel agencies” and not “Visa agent” then I still see nothing much important about this.

As far as I am concerned and by my understanding of what Siena has introduced, it has notin to do with anything called Visa Agent. Beside, i wonder why would you seek the assistance of Visa Agent in securing your visa? I will never be in support of any partnership with any Visa Agent on this section. By doing this, we are merely encouraging more scamming activities.

I don’t think that the people more at risk in this section of the forum are Mr and Mrs Bloggs who already have a 5 year visiting visa and are only looking for a BA ticket to London Heathrow and a room in the Holiday inn.

Many of the airlines if not all, have ticketing offices at the airports and I believe that you can purchase tickets direct from them if you choose not to go through a travel agency.

The people more at risk of being conned on this site are disillusioned Nigerians who want to leave the shores by all means but don’t have the necessary travelling documents. The big money for agents doesn’t come from ticketing but from visa processing.

Booking flight ticket is not only what you can gain from a honest and legitimate Travel Agency, besides why dying of travelling when you don't have the required documents. I believe real travellers with genuine documents don't patronage Visa agents, it's when you don't have authentic documents for visa processing that many scam victims of nowadays go from one visa agent to the other and at the end of the day the so called visa agent will give you wrong advice and fake document that will get you banned from your dreamland. On this note, partnership with Visa Agents on this section is not allowed. Personally, i will never be a part of it, take it or leave it.

Gbammmmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 27, 2011
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by collinsfbi(m): 9:21am On Oct 27, 2011
^^^ I think that the people who siena had in mind when he brought up this suggestion were the "visa agents" or whatever name that they go by. I am sure that Siena himself will be in a better position to clarify when he comes on line.

Taking a quick look at the general theme of posts on this section, there are more people advertising their visa business than travel agents advertising ticket fares & hotel prices.

Pls try to read all over again, siena never suggested Visa Agents

2all

By my own understand, Travel Agency is a corporate body or a travel retail business body that sells travel related products and services to customers on behalf of suppliers such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways, sightseeing tours, package holidays(Tour Operators) and give professional advice to travellers. They serve as agent btw travellers and the listed bodies above and provide services to the pple at a discount rate popularly known as commissions. Every day i see many questions on NL travel section unattended to most esp. about Tour sites, low cost airline, car rentals, hotels, travel insurance etc If some of these honest and legitimate Travel Agencies are given the opportunity to operate here, I am sure many will benefit from their services either with a fee charge or free of charge.

On the other hand, every other visa related issues will be handled by numerous members here who know the process and experienced members who at one time or the other went through such process.

Gbammmmmmm over and out
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 27, 2011
Nairalanders, this is not about "Visa Agents." This is about pretty much everyone connected with the Travel Industry. The term "Agent" in the Nigerian sense is very broad. Regardless of where Agents in the Travel Industry fit, there are regulatory bodies to protect both Agents and the End User.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by justwise(m): 12:31pm On Oct 28, 2011
Very interesting, we haven't seen any contribution from ''Travel Agents'' here, that says alot about pple who came here claiming to be genuine travel agents.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by suxes2006(m): 1:39pm On Oct 28, 2011
Should we all agree to the criterias listed by collinsfbi?
If that is it then we should be able to go on!

SHALOM
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by WAVixen: 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2011
hello all.
Re: All Travel Agents- Your Suggestions are needed here! by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 28, 2011
WAVixen, my girls are doing great, thanks for you very detailed write-up. It would appear the Travel Industry has a very complex structure.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Network Glitch At MMA Disrupt Passengers' Travel Plans (photos) / Abuja: A World Class City! A Hope For Nigeria? / Help !! How Can I Get To "Jibowu"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.