Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? (473 Views)

I'm The First Male Virgin Graduate In The History Of Taraba State University / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt / The History Of ASUU Strike Since 2001 Till Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by Okolo3662(m): 5:57pm On Oct 25, 2023
References to wages in some form can be tracked all the way back to Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome.
In ancient times salt was highly valued and it was used as a method of trade and currency. Not only did salt serve to flavor and preserve food, it was a good antiseptic.
In Ancient Rome the busiest road leading to the city was the Via Salaria, the salt route. A soldier's pay, which partly consisted of salt, was known as solarium argentum, from which we derive the word salary. A soldier's salary was cut if he "was not worth his salt," an expression still used today. Similarly, the Latin word 'salarium' linked employment, salt, and soldiers and has defined a form of work-for-hire ever since.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by MightySparrow: 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
I am the salt of the earth.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by Zonefree(m): 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2023
MightySparrow:
I am the salt of the earth.

So, who's the pepper of the earth? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by Af0nja: 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2023
Zonefree:

Pepper isn't the opposite of salt

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by oneman2k7: 10:17pm On Oct 25, 2023
Another lamba
Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by MightySparrow: 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2023
Zonefree:

I know my own,

Maybe you.

Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by sulakishop(m): 3:23am On Oct 26, 2023
Noted. Well-done
Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by brain54(m): 7:51am On Oct 26, 2023
Af0nja:

Pepper isn't the opposite of salt
What is…

Pomo?
Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by Af0nja: 8:22am On Oct 26, 2023
brain54:

What is…

Pomo?

Do you think every word has an opposite.

The opposite of salt is saltless.
Re: Did You Know The Word ‘salary’ Comes From The History Of Salt? by brain54(m): 8:23am On Oct 26, 2023
Af0nja:

Do you think every word has an opposite
I should be asking you that boss…

Since You raised the issue.

What is ‘salt less’ is that a pronoun?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can You Find The Areas Of The Shaded Region? Maths People, Oya Come In / Why I Said Peter Obi Isn't The Messiah- Dele Farotimi / Unilorin 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.