Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt (36772 Views)

How The Most Intelligent Student In My Secondary School Days Defrauded A Bank / I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. / Chemistry Students Help Me Out Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 11:50am On Nov 09, 2021
The attached picture made my day.

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

I taught them in SS1 SEPARATION TECHNIQUES that you can obtain salt (NaCl) by evaporating sea water to dryness.

The students now secretly arranged for one of them to visit Ibeno water and get sample of the seawater which they evaporated to dryness and here comes our locally made salt.

Qualitative Analysis: The salt produced on exposure to air was found to be deliquescent - attracts water from the atmosphere to dissolve itself. It dissolves completely in water. The solution of the salt gave white precipitate when tested with solution of silver nitrate, the precipitate was insoluble in nitric acid (confirmatory test for chlorides)

This indeed is very rewarding as it has been my expectation to help this young minds to begin now to figure out ways of harnessing our natural resources.

While I will continue with the work of purifying the product at my private technical center, I have advised them that the salt need to be purified to remove carbonates and other non-sodium halides etc.

We would in the present state use the salt as preservative for our emulsion paint, we would use it for laboratory test for chlorides and to demonstrate removal of hardness of water (water softening by ion exchange).

My philosophy of high school chemistry is to let them understand the theory, carry out the laboratory practicals, and apply the knowledge to do mini projects.

326 Likes 32 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Akporo1234: 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2021
Seconadary school teacher wey sabi. I'm sure you'll be the Students' Fave.
Good one Bro!

[color=#990000][/color] still dropping trending campus gist since 1827

144 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by daddytime(m): 12:28pm On Nov 09, 2021
Well done teacher.

I wished I had a teacher like you, growing up, I wouldn't have detested Mathematics and the sciences.

God bless you mucho..

** The machine below is available. Clean and fresh from the US::

Specs:

Dell Precision M2800 available with the following specs :-
Intel Core i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz (4 cores)
2GB DDR5 dedicated graphics memory (AMD)
15.6" FHD display
256 HDD
16GB RAM DDR3L
DVD-RW drive
Bluetooth 4.0
WiFi
Webcam
Keyboard light
4 USB 3.0 ports
Windows 10 Pro

Price => 240k

WhatsApp/call÷=>>08028711002

Nationwide delivery.

Free delivery within Abuja.

157 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by chizzypresh(f): 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2021
Nice one

4 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nicklaus619(m): 2:18pm On Nov 09, 2021
It's very clear that u love what u doing, u weren't forced to read your course in High institution, nice one brother, plus u seem very free and friendly with your students, this is highly commendable cool

157 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by SporaD8: 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2021
Practical base teaching is the best form of impacting knowledge - it stays with you forever!

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by FutureHNDRxXx: 4:57pm On Nov 09, 2021
Good way to go.

2 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 09, 2021
Highly commendable..
seeing young minds trying to practice what they are being taught..

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Savi78(m): 7:17pm On Nov 09, 2021
Abeg give me small salt make I put inside my beans

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by SegZ24(m): 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2021
Savi78:

Abeg if the beans don done, alert me make I bring garri
grin grin

92 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Thegracefulness: 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2021
You’re a brilliant man. I’m something of a genius myself too. But tell this to the average individual and they’d misunderstand you.

I’m thankful for the woman that birthed me for the opportunity and wisdom she imbibed in me. Unfortunately she’s an “out of school” housewife. I remember one Saturday evening after I had my worst result in school, and then I came back with my report card, and after consoling me, she was forced to tell me her story.

Let me quote her verbatim. She said “I wish I had the chance at pursuing my academics to this practical level. But in our society then, it was unlike today. It was difficult for us women. My father—who is your Grandfather, refused to send me to school because he thought ‘women preserved their values, while men created it.’ That is why the average woman is more desirable and valuable than the average man. I was barely concerned about succeeding in school. I just wanted to go to school because schooling was what at least one girl in each family did at that time. And I was fortunate that your aunties—my sisters, singled me out to go. Because at that time they had boyfriends, and their boyfriends would laugh at them if they found out that they sat down with children for hours, in a small classroom, merely looking at a blackboard.”

She concluded by saying; “Success isn’t a lifestyle choice for ANY man. It’s a matter of life and death. On the other hand, look around you; It’s a lifestyle choice only for SOME women. A woman who fails at career or academia can just simply give up and become a wife, a lover or choose to become a mother like in my case. She would now suddenly be wanted for who she is, or what she has become. But tell me, who is interested in a man who is a loser? NOBODY. What can he make out of his unfortunate situation? Misery. More misery until the end of his days. Pursue your education like your whole life depends on it, because someday you’d realise your whole life really depends on it.”

I almost teared up after this conversation. You have no idea how motivated I became and where it got me today. I wish she had the opportunity I had.

106 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by DoggoneDogg: 8:56pm On Nov 09, 2021
Oduok:
The attached picture made my day.

A group of SS2 students in one of the schools I visit to teach Chemistry came excitedly, "Sir, we have produced our own salt. We would not buy salt again in the market."

Snap their faces ogbeni. Leave English.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by ryd3(m): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2021
Beautiful. The challenge of our education philosophy is the regurgitation of knowledge, rather than exploration. The key part for me is sowing the seed (idea), and helping to water it(alternate use of the salt). Keep inspiring these minds bro

4 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by janed0e: 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2021
Hope you test the PH level of the salt

11 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by franklingud(m): 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2021
Please they should not use it and cook oooo!

It's not pure yet!

Kudos teacher!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by depost: 9:50pm On Nov 09, 2021
Sir, my head dey swell. God bless you sir

2 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2021
It’s important you include the spirit of wisdom, knowledge and understanding to dwell on your kids during your prayer sessions with God.

Op well done.

4 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by CrownOfClay724: 10:51pm On Nov 09, 2021
Teacher one city!

Much love .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Gosj001: 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2021
Practical makes learning fun! Well done.

My signature

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Joelobioha(m): 11:38pm On Nov 09, 2021
Savi78:
ure a putana indeed grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:36am On Nov 10, 2021
[/quote][quote author=Thegracefulness post=107472805]You’re a brilliant man. I’m something of a genius myself too. But tell this to the average individual and they’d misunderstand you.

I’m thankful for the woman that birthed me for the opportunity and wisdom she imbibed in me. Unfortunately she’s an “out of school” housewife. I remember one Saturday evening after I had my worst result in school, and then I came back with my report card, and after consoling me, she was forced to tell me her story.

Let me quote her verbatim. She said “I wish I had the chance at pursuing my academics to this practical level. But in our society then, it was unlike today. It was difficult for us women. My father—who is your Grandfather, refused to send me to school because he thought ‘women preserved their values, while men created it.’ That is why the average woman is more desirable and valuable than the average man. I was barely concerned about succeeding in school. I just wanted to go to school because schooling was what at least one girl in each family did at that time. And I was fortunate that your aunties—my sisters, singled me out to go. Because at that time they had boyfriends, and their boyfriends would laugh at them if they found out that they sat down with children for hours, in a small classroom, merely looking at a blackboard.”

She concluded by saying; “Success isn’t a lifestyle choice for ANY man. It’s a matter of life and death. On the other hand, look around you; It’s a lifestyle choice only for SOME women. A woman who fails at career or academia can just simply give up and become a wife, a lover or choose to become a mother like in my case. She would now suddenly be wanted for who she is, or what she has become. But tell me, who is interested in a man who is a loser? NOBODY. What can he make out of his unfortunate situation? Misery. More misery until the end of his days. Pursue your education like your whole life depends on it, because someday you’d realise your whole life really depends on it.”

I almost teared up after this conversation. You have no idea how motivated I became and where it got me today. I wish she had the opportunity I had.

Wow! The boldened part. That's deep. Thank you for sharing

6 Likes

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:50am On Nov 10, 2021
depost:
Sir, my head dey swell. God bless you sir
I don't get. Who is this?
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:51am On Nov 10, 2021
Savi78:
Lolz ... We never refine am finish ooo

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:52am On Nov 10, 2021
daddytime:
Well done teacher.

I wished I had a teacher like you, growing up, I wouldn't have detested Mathematics and the sciences.

God bless you mucho
Amen. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:53am On Nov 10, 2021
Nicklaus619:
It's very clear that u love what u doing, u weren't forced to read your course in High institution, nice one brother, plus u seem very free and friendly with your students, this is highly commendable cool
Ya ya. You are right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:53am On Nov 10, 2021
Akporo1234:
Very commendable...
Thanks
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:54am On Nov 10, 2021
chizzypresh:
Nice one
Thanks
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:54am On Nov 10, 2021
SporaD8:
Practical base teaching is the best form of impacting knowledge - it stays with you forever!
Yes ooo. Activity based teaching

1 Like

Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:55am On Nov 10, 2021
FutureHNDRxXx:
Good way to go.
Thanks
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:57am On Nov 10, 2021
Miracood2:
Highly commendable..
seeing young minds trying to practice what they are being taught..
Very very encouraging I must tell you
Re: My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt by Oduok(m): 12:58am On Nov 10, 2021
ryd3:
Beautiful. The challenge of our education philosophy is the regurgitation of knowledge, rather than exploration. The key part for me is sowing the seed (idea), and helping to water it(alternate use of the salt). Keep inspiring these minds bro
Developing that explorative mind is the best model for educating people

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / The Deplorable State Of Infrastructure In Nigerian Universities (Photos) / Three Dead As Military Men Open Fire On Students Of Unijos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.