Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board (20586 Views)

Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board / NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by stuffs2002: 12:08pm On Oct 27, 2023
Andrenalin:

No longer acceptable bro...

Sorry.. I guess I was wrong. It used to be accepted some time ago

BTW: I have a Bachelors and two masters degrees and I know very little about all these diploma courses.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by advanceDNA: 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

Nobody is saying they are the same. If I have a HND cert and I later decide I want to go for a Bsc cert also, it is allowed. Infact the NUC have their requirement for admitting someone that has HND into the university which is direct direct entry route.
Some schools admit to 200l while some school may admit them to 300l, that is the NUC requirement and it is not wrong. It is now wrong of NUC to be putting hand in another country's school requirement for admitting HND holders into their Bsc program.

..How can u say it's wrong for the commission to manage how a university wants to package a course or programme.......there must be check and balances otherwise universities will just behave anyhow...

Why do u think some course are not approved or even later cancelled in some universities?? Or u have not heard this before?

U should understand that the Universities are all about money most times .........and will do basically anything to draw student in...

What I see here is nigerian universities trying to cash out heavily on the desperation of diploma holders and also the so called discrimination that exist in the labour market ......

If care is not taken we will start having top up to medicine and pharmacy..... The NUC is protecting the University standard and already has a way diploma can transition to BSc which is direct entry in 200 level Weda u have an HND or OND....

Look at at this way... A 200 level biochem or pharmacy student can cross to microbiology by dropping back to 200l micro biology if they want a micro biology degree badly...

..... it doesn't make a difference if the student graduated and went for NYSC with biochem or pharmacy degree before desiring a microbiology degree....they will still go back to 200 level microbiology... that's the design of the NUC..because 200l is where the departmental course begins

But u HND holders are trying to use ur HND to bypass the standard University design of using direct entry...... There is a reason a course was designed to have a 4 or 5 or 6 years stretch plan in the first place ..

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by HADI854: 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2023
Andrenalin:

No longer acceptable bro...
Pls what do you mean by no longer accepted?
Pls explain
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 2:15pm On Oct 27, 2023
advanceDNA:

..How can u say it's wrong for the commission to manage how a university wants to package a course or programme.......there must be check and balances otherwise universities will just behave anyhow...

Why do u think some course are not approved or even later cancelled in some universities?? Or u have not heard this before?

U should understand that the Universities are all about money most times .........and will do basically anything to draw student in...

What I see here is nigerian universities trying to cash out heavily on the desperation of diploma holders and also the so called discrimination that exist in the labour market ......

If care is not taken we will start having top up to medicine and pharmacy..... The NUC is protecting the University standard and already has a way diploma can transition to BSc which is direct entry in 200 level Weda u have an HND or OND....

Look at at this way... A 200 level biochem or pharmacy student can cross to microbiology by dropping back to 200l micro biology if they want a micro biology degree badly...

..... it doesn't make a difference if the student graduated and went for NYSC with biochem or pharmacy degree before desiring a microbiology degree....they will still go back to 200 level microbiology... that's the design of the NUC..because 200l is where the departmental course begins

But u HND holders are trying to use ur HND to bypass the standard University design of using direct entry...... There is a reason a course was designed to have a 4 or 5 or 6 years stretch plan in the first place ..

I am not against your argument here. The NUC specifies their requirement for entry into the university at various levels, if you're seeking admission for further studies in schools abroad for instance, additional requirement like English proficiency test may be required, that's their own guideline in taking in students.

As such, it is entirely at these foreign schools' discretion to take in students coming with HND, analysing their transcripts and offering them admission at their determined level for the offered course. For NUC to now be raising dust about what is obtainable in another clime looks and sounds somehow.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 2:22pm On Oct 27, 2023
OLULAW:

Shine your eyes. If you want BA/BSc, go to uni not polytechnic.
That's the whole point of this issue, people are trying to go to universities outside the country where their requirements for admission is much more palatable than what is obtainable in Nigeria, yet the NUC is raising dust about this that it is absurd.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by advanceDNA: 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

I am not against your argument here. The NUC specifies their requirement for entry into the university at various levels, if you're seeking admission for further studies in schools abroad for instance, additional requirement like English proficiency test may be required, that's their own guideline in taking in students.

As such, it is entirely at these foreign schools' discretion to take in students coming with HND, analysing their transcripts and offering them admission at their determined level for the offered course. For NUC to now be raising dust about what is obtainable in another clime looks and sounds somehow.

Ohhhi get u .. of course....NUC cannot tackle schools outside it's jurisdiction .....

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 2:35pm On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

There's a third option;
Govt can address the standards/requirement of employer concerning discrimination of HND holders.

The govt have much more pressing issues than entering the murky waters of dichotomy, they are not ready to solve the issues but rather make a pronouncement that's not practicable just to pacify people.

Infact my own view of this matter is that HND and Bsc can't be equated as their training addresses different areas of their respective industries. Their are existing pathways to cross from one level of training to the other in Nigeria, no one is disputing that.

It now raises question and eyebrows if universities in order climes are creating a new pathway for bringing students with HND into their Bsc program and the NUC is making noise about it.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 2:38pm On Oct 27, 2023
HADI854:

Pls what do you mean by no longer accepted?
Pls explain

Okay after doing PGD then Masters, COREN will still not accept it…. B.Eng is the minimum requirement. These days COREN is working towards harmonizing with international engineering standard such that Engineers in Nigeria can be accepted all over the world without going through the rigor of their certification.

As a result, new policies are being put in place according to requirement of international standards. Engrs minimum requirement is still B.Eng as practiced all over the world.

3 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2023
DolbyDigital:
"It's like a crash course".. 😂 Hole your mouth right there...

Yes , I have OND, Hnd , BEng and Masters so I know the differences very very well. BEng is purely designed, you are trained to design and research solutions or new ways of achieving it by understanding the concept. HND is like training you to maintain a task already done by engineers. In Nigeria , HND is more effective than BEng because we don’t designed rather we maintained what has already been imported. So if you pass through OND and HND you can work effectively in Nigeria system.

So HND holders are supposed to have more opportunities here. We don’t create , we only maintain and that is the job of Diplomas.

So no matter what HND can never be BEng. They own their different importance
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by sultan003(m): 2:54pm On Oct 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

HND + PGD + MSc will get COREN

NB: Someone just corrected me that the PGD and MSc are no longer acceptable. I didn't go through that route as I got my own COREN with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.

(b)        HND in an Engineering field + COREN accredited PGD in the same field of Engineering e.g. HND Civil Engineering + PGD Civil Engineering with 2 years post PGD experience. (All PGD Certificates obtained after December 2021 will require a Master’s Degree in the same Engineering field).

(c)        HND in an Engineering field + COREN accredited B. Eng/B.Sc or B. Tech in the same field of Engineering e.g. HND Civil Engineering + B. Eng Civil Engineering with 2 years post B.Eng Experience.

(f)        HND (Engineering) + M.Eng. (Engineering) in the same field with 2 years post M.Eng experience
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by babakb: 3:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

That is not the only solution.
You want the benefits of BSc, then get a BSc at a University.
You want the prize without paying the price and sacrifice.

The country no doubt failed the HND holders by not providing the suitable industries for them to thrive and prosper as they used to. But the solution is not to convert the degree since they are different degrees.

The solution
On the part of FG/SG- Is to fix the industries for HND holders to thrive.
On the part of the HND holder- get admission into University to get the benefits of BSc.

We're saying the same thing, conversion means securing admission in an accredited University and obtaining your Bachelor's Degree.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2023
babakb:

We're saying the same thing, conversion means securing admission in an accredited University and obtaining your Bachelor's Degree.

That's not what the OP implies by conversion.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by sultan003(m): 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

Even the top up stuff will still cause issues..

Originally, the program for OND/HND was meant to produce technologist and technicians from technical courses for the industry..

But over the years those incharge of the NBTE messed up the whole structure by allowing non technical courses to be included in the curriculum. For example, what is banking and finance or business administration doing there? Now if they graduate with OND/HND, where will they fit in bearing in mind that they graduated as technicians/technologist?

This is why we are have this discrimination because they will go seeking employment in civil service expecting to be treated the same as someone who has a degree in Business Adminstration or Banking and finance, meanwhile they were trained in a setting meant to provide skills for the industry.

In Engineering, with HND you are a technologist. Jobs dey that will employ technologist. Now after top up what are you now? Will COREN accept the top up degree and register you as an engineer and not a technologist?

See if the polytechnic sector cannot go back to their original mandate, then either it is upgraded to university or they shut it down make everybody find their way

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2023
sultan003:

Even the top up stuff will still cause issues..

Originally, the program for OND/HND was meant to produce technologist and technicians from technical courses for the industry..

But over the years those incharge of the NBTE messed up the whole structure by allowing non technical courses to be included in the curriculum. For example, what is banking and finance or business administration doing there? Now if they graduate with OND/HND, where will they fit in bearing in mind that they graduated as technicians/technologist?

This is why we are have this discrimination because they will go seeking employment in civil service expecting to be treated the same as someone who has a degree in Business Adminstration or Banking and finance, meanwhile they were trained in a setting meant to provide skills for the industry.

In Engineering, with HND you are a technologist. Jobs dey that will employ technologist. Now after top up what are you now? Will COREN accept the top up degree and register you as an engineer and not a technologist?

See if the polytechnic sector cannot go back to their original mandate, then either it is upgraded to university or they shut it down make everybody find their way

Exactly my tot, many ppl don’t know there are differences… ppl Jst study but don’t know the background of what they are studying… Diploma is Diploma call it PGD or HND it is still diploma . Diploma has their roles. In Canada , if u want to be a nurse without going to university you can register a diploma course as practical nurse after graduation you start working as nurse assistant and that is how it is. If u want to be a registered nurse, with your diploma u apply to the university as a nurse. That is all
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by sultan003(m): 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

In what way is an HND holder desiring to get a Bsc illegal? Is it in Nigeria that it is illegal or all over the world?

No be the same Nigeria that an HND holder with top up will come back and apply for jobs?

If NUC says that is it illegal and that the top up is not equivalent with degree accreditated by NUC, do you think NBTE will do any thing? Do you think companies will risk such employment?

Please try and look up MDCN's stand on those that schooled in Ukraine for example and how it affects them becoming medical doctors in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 3:35pm On Oct 27, 2023
sultan003:

(b)        HND in an Engineering field + COREN accredited PGD in the same field of Engineering e.g. HND Civil Engineering + PGD Civil Engineering with 2 years post PGD experience. (All PGD Certificates obtained after December 2021 will require a Master’s Degree in the same Engineering field).

(c)        HND in an Engineering field + COREN accredited B. Eng/B.Sc or B. Tech in the same field of Engineering e.g. HND Civil Engineering + B. Eng Civil Engineering with 2 years post B.Eng Experience.

(f)        HND (Engineering) + M.Eng. (Engineering) in the same field with 2 years post M.Eng experience

Take this, it will not be accepted from next yr. Coren is going through a reform, you can’t be certified register with master degree without BEngr.

Coren is trying to match the requirement with international practice.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by slimtoney(m): 3:41pm On Oct 27, 2023
It was not absurd when the NUC created artificial inequalities between the holders of Hnd and Bsc. Why should the NUC be apprehensive when the people you discriminate against are now trying to measure up to you?

If it is about service delivery and result orientation, the Hnd holders are never found wanting. They have proved time and time again in the workplace that they are reliable and superior in terms of in-depth knowledge, experience, and maturity as inculcated in them through their course of studies.

The fear that grips the NUC and their minions each time they are paired with their Hnd counterpart is palpable. it goes to show a people lacking confidence and the requisite character and mental ability to cope with healthy competition required to survive in a thriving organization.

This high level of inferiority complex has further pushed these nitwits to throw up obnoxious policies and manipulations to perpetually keep holders of Hnd subservient to the BSC academic cabals.

Employees should be appraised based on their productivity capabilities and not on paper qualifications alone. If my Bsc or Hnd certificates give me the opportunity to get employed in an organization, my performance right from training activities and on-the-job performance should dictate my career placement and progression and not my certificate any longer.

Today, the number of people parading fake Bsc certificates is alarming, due to the undue importance placed on them. That is why any Dick and Harry can assume the position of authority in this country as long as he presents a stack of papers.

The idiots who thrashed and talked down on HND holders are today being led by politicians whose highest academic qualification is a School Leaving Certificate. Some of them with proven records of forgery sit today as your leaders dictating what happens to you and your fathers.

Meanwhile, your problem is a fellow common man who has struggled to attain a higher level of education because of your skewed mind and devilish tendencies.

Your actions have subjected a lot of hardworking Nigerians to being treated like second-hand citizens in their country. They are denied promotions, and most of them are stagnated for years on the job while others are reduced to a mere shadow of themselves. They have committed no crime, all they did was legitimately attend the Polytechnics to better their lots.

The NUC, the malicious and negatively minded holders of Bsc in low and high places, the National Assembly, the Ministry of Education, and The Presidency should all bury their heads in shame and tuck their selfish tails in between their legs.

If Nigeria must be counted among the industrialized nations, the Polytechnics must be granted her prideful place in the academia and the Technical Colleges that was bullied out of existence by this same academic brutes must as a matter of urgency be revived.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by sultan003(m): 3:43pm On Oct 27, 2023
Andrenalin:

Exactly my tot, many ppl don’t know there are differences… ppl Jst study but don’t know the background of what they are studying… Diploma is Diploma call it PGD or HND it is still diploma . Diploma has their roles. In Canada , if u want to be a nurse without going to university you can register a diploma course as practical nurse after graduation you start working as nurse assistant and that is how it is. If u want to be a registered nurse, with your diploma u apply to the university as a nurse. That is all

For example if the nurse assistant has HND in midwifery and does a top up does that mean she is now a nurse with four degrees?
If the nurse assistant wants to become a full nurse with B.Nrs, RN RM RPHN, the only alternative is to go through a university.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by sultan003(m): 3:47pm On Oct 27, 2023
Andrenalin:

Take this, it will not be accepted from next yr. Coren is going through a reform, you can’t be certified register with master degree without BEngr.

Coren is trying to match the requirement with international practice.

I know about the washington accord..

Take engineering council of South Africa, with HND you are registered as an engineering technician... if you like go and do masters and PhD you will remain a technician.

With B.tech you are registered as an engineering technologist while with B.engr you are registered as an engineer.

They all have their roles clearly defined and everyone is proud of their achievements, the opposite is the case in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 3:59pm On Oct 27, 2023
sultan003:

I know about the washington accord..

Take engineering council of South Africa, with HND you are registered as an engineering technician... if you like go and do masters and PhD you will remain a technician.

With B.tech you are registered as an engineering technologist while with B.engr you are registered as an engineer.

They all have their roles clearly defined and everyone is proud of their achievements, the opposite is the case in Nigeria

Proud of you…. Wise man
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 4:00pm On Oct 27, 2023
babakb:

I had to re-read the OP. You're right.
I misconstrued the meaning of conversion.

Since it's simply an opportunity for HND holders to get a BSc through an added program, then it's a very good idea.
I thought the implication was for FG to simply convert the paper/document from HND to BSc.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by NNEVERAGAINN: 4:18pm On Oct 27, 2023
frankson1:
A friend, with only few months of studies is earn taking home N900k/month excluding allowances. On the same vessel, the Crane Operator earns over a million naira.

If the end goal is about the pay, then it's just a waste of time as people do a few weeks/months of studies and are doing very well financially.

I wish I knew what I've known now, I would have been driving a Porsche car😌😌
bro Abeg give me update. For the marine job. I get discharge cert oh. I get MEA, mandatory, yellow card, trade test.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by frankson1(m): 4:44pm On Oct 27, 2023
NNEVERAGAINN:
bro Abeg give me update. For the marine job. I get discharge cert oh. I get MEA, mandatory, yellow card, trade test.

I had a slot far far 2 months ago but didn't know anyone to connect.

I'm not in the marine field though.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by awoluyi(m): 5:00pm On Oct 27, 2023
Please with all these certificates that are as wide as bedsheets, what are the holders doing to make N10/1$? If your education (certificate) isn't given power, it is meaningless.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by NNEVERAGAINN: 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2023
frankson1:

I had a slot far far 2 months ago but didn't know anyone to connect.

I'm not in the marine field though.
okay bro, no wahala. Just in case you have any update, notify me. piusfdl@gmail.com
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by frankson1(m): 6:12pm On Oct 27, 2023
NNEVERAGAINN:
okay bro, no wahala. Just in case you have any update, notify me. piusfdl@gmail.com

Saved.

What's your job title?
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by babakb: 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

I had to re-read the OP. You're right.
I misconstrued the meaning of conversion.

Since it's simply an opportunity for HND holders to get a BSc through an added program, then it's a very good idea.
I thought the implication was for FG to simply convert the paper/document from HND to BSc.

Thanks.

So you can see that NUC is over reaching this time, Overtime HND Graduates have suffered uncontrollable limitations in their careers for no reason simply because they don't have a Bachelor's Degree.

And it's never been about Inferiority complex, it has always been about career limitations within and outside Nigeria, it's time to break barriers, HND Graduates go and get your Barchelors Degree and be at par with your counterparts.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
babakb:

So you can see that NUC is over reaching this time, Overtime HND Graduates have suffered uncontrollable limitations in their careers for no reason simply because they don't have a Bachelor's Degree.

And it's never been about Inferiority complex, it has always been about career limitations within and outside Nigeria, it's time to break barriers, HND Graduates go and get your Barchelors Degree and be at par with your counterparts.

Honestly I wasn't even aware that it had such limitations till people brought it up here.

This is obviously long overdue.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Iamzik: 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2023
amadiama:
you want to break this table.. 😂😂😂😂😂

Lol baba the table is shattered already 🤣🤣
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by hakeem4(m): 8:48am On Oct 28, 2023
babakb:

Please be realistic, HND Graduates have so much limitations in Nigeria, e.g

HND Graduates can't become Lecturers in Nigeria even if they Obtain PGD and MSc.
HND Graduates are not eligible for PTDF Scholarships and all other federal and state government scholarships for MSc studies.
HND Graduates are not eligible for COREN.
HND Graduates are not eligible for the various Job Seeker Visas introduced by many countries.
HND Graduates don't go beyond Level 14 in Federal and State civil service.

So you can see that it's not about inferiority mindset, it's about opportunities passing you buy in the Nigerian system which you can easily make right by opting for a Top Up program wink wink wink
First hnd people are trained for industry not academia, so they can’t become lecturers. Except they get their advance study

2) hnd are qualified for Coren. It’s just that they’d be registered as technologists (which is what they’re trained for)

3) maybe those countries don’t require their skills set
4)because they’re are trained to be on field so I don’t see the reason why they’re to be placed in managerial positions

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 11:20am On Oct 28, 2023
hakeem4:

First hnd people are trained for industry not academia, so they can’t become lecturers. Except they get their advance study

2) hnd are qualified for Coren. It’s just that they’d be registered as technologists (which is what they’re trained for)

3) maybe those countries don’t require their skills set
4)because they’re are trained to be on field so I don’t see the reason why they’re to be placed in managerial positions
Wisdom….

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Best University In Nigeria / APC, Party Of Vagabonds – ASUU / UNILORIN Post-utme Screening Result 2017/2018 Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.