Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,326 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board (20428 Views)

Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board / NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 4:26am On Oct 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

1. The HND top up is illegal and that is what NUC is saying
2. Whoever told you that ND guys do better than regular university guys when they enter university is messing with your head. Most of them suffer what is called "academic shock" for two reasons. They find it very difficult to adapt to the new and higher standard of education

In what way is an HND holder desiring to get a Bsc illegal? Is it in Nigeria that it is illegal or all over the world?

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by BigIyanga: 4:32am On Oct 27, 2023
DolbyDigital:
Went at JAMB 4 times, scores swinging from 180 to 230, but Unilorin never gave me a shot. It's one of those tough times in life. Watching peers with lesser skills make it while I was home felt like losing. I took a different path, joined Kwara Poly, and graduated with distinction.

Tried direct entry into Unilorin, but they slammed the door in my face AGAIN. Even friends with Upper Credit got through. I was in a cafe, seeing parents pulling strings for their kids' post-JAMB, and it hit me – it's about WHO you know, not WHAT you know.

I didn't have connections. My folks don't play politics, or lick people's asses and I got that from them.

I aced my HND with Upper Credit. I joined where I did my NYSC training, got hired right away. I've got skills I'm confident of. But when I seek better opportunities, even with my certs, it feels like I've wasted life. I'm starting to feel like a charity case at work. Lose this job, and I doubt I'd find the same pay. They're all about that BSc. I feel like a charity case, and it stings.

HND isn't always about not meeting entry requirements. You might not get it if you're not an HND holder. Nobody wants to be treated like a second-class citizen. The discrimination is real, and it's a mental battle.
Sorry, it sounds like you’re forever penalized for going to school
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 4:33am On Oct 27, 2023
walezy14:
Nigeria Education policy makers are afraid of allowing hnd top-up to compete with bsc. Let look at it from this perspective, most ND holders routing to BSC programme in the universities perform excellently and top the class.

It's not even matter of being afraid or not. The NUC have their requirements for how anyone with HND can get Bsc cert in Nigerian schools, which is through direct entry, it's their choice, they can't now arise from their mischief and be putting mouth in another country's university requirement on how someone with HND can get a Bsc.

Do you know there are some schools outside Nigeria where you can be admitted for a Masters degree directly with your HND cert without having to go through a PGD as obtained in Nigeria? So schools have different requirements for offering students admission anywhere in the world.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 4:47am On Oct 27, 2023
DolbyDigital:
Went at JAMB 4 times, scores swinging from 180 to 230, but Unilorin never gave me a shot. It's one of those tough times in life. Watching peers with lesser skills make it while I was home felt like losing. I took a different path, joined Kwara Poly, and graduated with distinction.

Tried direct entry into Unilorin, but they slammed the door in my face AGAIN. Even friends with Upper Credit got through. I was in a cafe, seeing parents pulling strings for their kids' post-JAMB, and it hit me – it's about WHO you know, not WHAT you know.

I didn't have connections. My folks don't play politics, or lick people's asses and I got that from them.

I aced my HND with Upper Credit. I joined where I did my NYSC training, got hired right away. I've got skills I'm confident of. But when I seek better opportunities, even with my certs, it feels like I've wasted life. I'm starting to feel like a charity case at work. Lose this job, and I doubt I'd find the same pay. They're all about that BSc. I feel like a charity case, and it stings.

HND isn't always about not meeting entry requirements. You might not get it if you're not an HND holder. Nobody wants to be treated like a second-class citizen. The discrimination is real, and it's a mental battle.

NUC are just being mischievous, in what way is it justifiable that to be a lecturer in the polytechnic you need a Bsc? I was even arguing with the NBTE officials while trying to get a lecturing job in a polytechnic. Even in trying to be registered with your relevant professional bodies you will still encounter a lot of discrimination.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 4:51am On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

And the solution is to convert it?
Who does that?

What should the solution be?
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 5:01am On Oct 27, 2023
OLULAW:

There is no where in the world where parity exists between HND and BA/BSc. They're two different programmes with different learning outcomes. If you cannot be admitted to a university and you went to Poly to gain ND/HND, to gain a university degree in the same subject, you'll have to undertake prescribed number of units before being awarded the degree. This is what overseas universities call top up. But you simply cannot convert HND to BA/BSc, it's not a currency.

So why is the NUC not giving the HND holders that have taken the "prescribed number of units" Bsc but rather give them a worthless pgd cert?
There are schools abroad where you can go for masters directly with your HND cert which is not so in Nigeria, as schools anywhere have different requirement for admitting students.

The requirement for getting a Bsc with your HND in Nigeria is through direct entry, Another country may require a different path such as allowing HND holders take a "prescribed number units" to be able to get their Bsc cert.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 5:15am On Oct 27, 2023
advanceDNA:

HD holders are the one making themselves feel inferior... Both certificates are not the same.....

...I don't understand why diploma holders want to be seen degree holders without going to a university ...

Nobody is saying they are the same. If I have a HND cert and I later decide I want to go for a Bsc cert also, it is allowed. Infact the NUC have their requirement for admitting someone that has HND into the university which is direct direct entry route.
Some schools admit to 200l while some school may admit them to 300l, that is the NUC requirement and it is not wrong. It is now wrong of NUC to be putting hand in another country's school requirement for admitting HND holders into their Bsc program.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by karkinase(m): 6:12am On Oct 27, 2023
BoboNogoDie:
grin
Inferiority complex

BUT ON A NORM, YOU CAN NOT COMPARE A UNIVERSITY STUDENT WITH A POLY STUDENT.

THE LEVEL OF CLASS, SWAG AND INTELLECTUALS IN THE UNIVERSITY CAN NOT BE COMPARED TO A POLYTECHNIC.

Poly students are usually "local" no pun intended grin grin grin
Polytechnic graduates are too crude, many can’t articulate words properly when making a sentence and the intellectual reasoning with a Uni graduate is too clear. Big multinationals know this hence reason their graduates are boycotted

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by karkinase(m): 6:17am On Oct 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

1. The HND top up is illegal and that is what NUC is saying
2. Whoever told you that ND guys do better than regular university guys when they enter university is messing with your head. Most of them suffer what is called "academic shock" for two reasons. They find it very difficult to adapt to the new and higher standard of education
Most Poly students are dull.. their mental thinking IQ is not really sharp.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by CJStarz: 6:29am On Oct 27, 2023
[quote author=awoluyi post=126637199][/quote]

U made sense
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Dongallant: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2023
arinzos:
Make I go find my HND and top it up to MBBS degree grin grin
HAHAHA!!!
Can you imagine?
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 7:19am On Oct 27, 2023
BoboNogoDie:
grin
Inferiority complex

BUT ON A NORM, YOU CAN NOT COMPARE A UNIVERSITY STUDENT WITH A POLY STUDENT.

THE LEVEL OF CLASS, SWAG AND INTELLECTUALS IN THE UNIVERSITY CAN NOT BE COMPARED TO A POLYTECHNIC.

Poly students are usually "local" no pun intended grin grin grin

So because they are too crude they should not be allowed near university education at all and should remain crude?

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by babakb: 8:14am On Oct 27, 2023
BoboNogoDie:

Lol
Ọdẹ olodo grin
Na inferiority complex go kee u grin

Whether you like it or not, HND Graduates will obtain their Bachelor's Degree grin grin grin

If you like call it Inferiority complex angry angry angry
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by delishpot: 8:19am On Oct 27, 2023
amadiama:
fact!!!!... That's the genesis of the whole thing..me myself am a hand holder in mech eng and I know the discrimination we face at work..

That was why I switched to BSc after my OND. My colleagues went on to do HND.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by delishpot: 8:20am On Oct 27, 2023
12inchess:
Truth be told. HND is like Associate Degree in the U.S and universities have been demarketing such programs for a long time even abroad.However, let's be frank the bar of entry into both is different. Hence one will certainly be more valued than the other. If there were plentiful jobs in Nigeria we won't be having this mumu discussions anyway.

OND is Associate degree

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by babakb: 8:21am On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

And the solution is to convert it?
Who does that?

Of course yes, the only solution is to convert it and enjoy the benefits that BSc holders get too.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Gbolahan111: 9:20am On Oct 27, 2023
I’ll like to ask a question. Do we all agree that both HND and university degree holders are graduates?

Nobody is saying that HND is equivalent to a university degree. Their objectives are clearly different from each other. Polytechnic requirement is also different from that of the university. In fact, to qualify as a HND holder, the minimum years of study is 5 years, whereas you can spend lesser in a university.

However, the major issue which is peculiar in Nigeria is the discrimination in the industry. It is not all industries that have a clear career growth for HND holders. I’ll give a clear example. As I speak, bank employees who are HND holders earn lesser salary. Many are paid less than 100k. Recall my question in my first paragraph. An entry role for a HND holder in any bank is less than 150k while an entry role for a degree holder is a minimum of 300k. And if both are employed on the same day, a degree holder will have a career growth than one with a HND. As a matter of fact, there is NEVER a growth for HND graduates working in a bank. So my question is, are the HND graduates USELESS?

This discrimination does not exist in abroad. What matter most is your years of experience, skills and expertise. In fact, an experienced diploma holder can hold a decent position in abroad and be comfortable.

Sincerely, it is this discrimination that the government and other relevant stakeholders should work on, and stop wasting time on a useless conversion.

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Babysho(m): 9:21am On Oct 27, 2023
BoboNogoDie:

Lol
Ọdẹ olodo grin
Na inferiority complex go kee u grin

I went through your posts and my claims are not refuted. I see how you think even in moments of passion, I'm confident that you didn't attend any of the top 20 Unis in Nigeria and even if you did by accident, it's probably some insignificant course.

To be clear, I'm not one for changing HND to BSC, because the HND is suppose to serve a different purpose in our society, so a revamp of the programme is what is required and that's a discussion for another day.

I dare you to engage me with a meaningful rebuttal 😂😂 Uni Boy

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Babysho(m): 9:57am On Oct 27, 2023
DolbyDigital:

Man I feel genuinely bad for you because I had a similar experience. I sat for JAMB, got 214 when JAMB was actually JAMB. I remember we were about 4 or 5 in my class of 26 that passed the 200 mark.

I adored The University Of Ibadan so much and so I had UI as my choice and I sat for the post UTME. I can't remember my score but I did fairly well. And then I was denied, I remember I was so heartbroken. Weeks after, my mom calls me and tells me they're paying to get admission into UI, she got the information from one of her friends, an Oba in Ibadan. We couldn't afford what they were paying back then, plus such an act is against my dad's "principles" and so I had to let go.

I was the type of guy who planned out his entire life 😅 and the first step was to leave home for school at 18. UI, my dream, became my obstacle so I decided to settle for the "lesser UI", The Polytechnic, Ibadan. MISTAKE. Direct Entry didn't work as well so I went on to finish up HND. I eventually lost interest in school education. Instead of my school notes, I'd read books outside my syllabus and field.

Even though my command of the English language is close to perfection, with a touch of phonetics from my secondary school, despite my impressive knowledge and philosophy on Economics, Science, Politics, Arts, Anything! I still see that discrimination. I sometimes see them fighting that mental battle how man is not matching certificate lol

2 Likes

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 10:04am On Oct 27, 2023
Andrenalin:

Bro all over the world HND certificate is not a degree, it is called higher diploma. Just like a crash course to get the practical skills of attending to task. Degree is degree, Hnd holders have their own advantages and disadvantages. If u want a degree get into the university

Exactly, they are different qualifications from different institutions.
Go to a University and get your BSc degree if you want its benefits.
You can't ask the institution to change themselves and change their goals and objectives to suit your needs.

Na wa oh.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 10:08am On Oct 27, 2023
babakb:

Of course yes, the only solution is to convert it and enjoy the benefits that BSc holders get too.
That is not the only solution.
You want the benefits of BSc, then get a BSc at a University.
You want the prize without paying the price and sacrifice.

The country no doubt failed the HND holders by not providing the suitable industries for them to thrive and prosper as they used to. But the solution is not to convert the degree since they are different degrees.

The solution
On the part of FG/SG- Is to fix the industries for HND holders to thrive.
On the part of the HND holder- get admission into University to get the benefits of BSc.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 10:09am On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

What should the solution be?

The solution
On the part of the HND holder- get admission into University to get the benefits of BSc.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by DolbyDigital: 10:16am On Oct 27, 2023
Babysho:

Man I feel genuinely bad for you because I had a similar experience. I sat for JAMB, got 214 when JAMB was actually JAMB. I remember we were about 4 or 5 in my class of 26 that passed the 200 mark.

I adored The University Of Ibadan so much and so I had UI as my choice and I sat for the post UTME. I can't remember my score but I did fairly well. And then I was denied, I remember I was so heartbroken. Weeks after, my mom calls me and tells me they're paying to get admission into UI, she got the information from one of her friends, an Oba in Ibadan. We couldn't afford what they were paying back then, plus such an act is against my dad's "principles" and so I had to let go.

I was the type of guy who planned out his entire life 😅 and the first step was to leave home for school at 18. UI, my dream, became my obstacle so I decided to settle for the "lesser UI", The Polytechnic, Ibadan. MISTAKE. Direct Entry didn't work as well so I went on to finish up HND. I eventually lost interest in school education. Instead of my school notes, I'd read books outside my syllabus and field.

Even though my command of the English language is close to perfection, with a touch of phonetics from my secondary school, despite my impressive knowledge and philosophy on Economics, Science, Politics, Arts, Anything! I still see that discrimination. I sometimes see them fighting that mental battle how man is not matching certificate lol

Mehn, I thought I am the only one the bolded applies to. All is well sha.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Babysho(m): 10:59am On Oct 27, 2023
DolbyDigital:

Mehn, I thought I am the only one the bolded applies to. All is well sha.

We just have to forge ahead. Keep keeping on.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by tosinet(m): 11:23am On Oct 27, 2023
Myer:

The solution

You mean HND holders should write jamb and enter 100l or apply through non existent direct entry route or go for pgd that's not relevant in the field?
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by OLULAW: 11:37am On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

So why is the NUC not giving the HND holders that have taken the "prescribed number of units" Bsc but rather give them a worthless pgd cert?

It's no brainer. If after obtaining HND, you enrol on PGCert, that's what you get. Otherwise, enrol on BA/BSc honours if you want a proper degree.

There are schools abroad where you can go for masters directly with your HND cert which is not so in Nigeria, as schools anywhere have different requirement for admitting students.

You're right. Courses for horses; each to their own. My knowledge of the UK University system is that in yesteryears when ex-polytechnics e.g now Universities of Luton, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Plymouth, London South Bank, Westminster, etc., started to award degrees, they admitted HNDs into their master's programmes. Red bricks chose not to do this.

The requirement for getting a Bsc with your HND in Nigeria is through direct entry, Another country may require a different path such as allowing HND holders take a "prescribed number units" to be able to get their Bsc cert.

Shine your eyes. If you want BA/BSc, go to uni not polytechnic.

1 Like

Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by siant: 11:40am On Oct 27, 2023
BoboNogoDie:

Ọdẹ
Same inferiority complex we just pointed out grin
Olodo
oponu, go and look for the meaning of being local in your dictionary, if you have any.
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Andrenalin: 11:43am On Oct 27, 2023
stuffs2002:

HND + PGD + MSc will get COREN

No longer acceptable bro...
Re: "Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board by Myer(m): 11:43am On Oct 27, 2023
tosinet:

You mean HND holders should write jamb and enter 100l or apply through non existent direct entry route or go for pgd that's not relevant in the field?

There's a third option;
Govt can address the standards/requirement of employer concerning discrimination of HND holders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB To Scrap Uniform Cut-off Points For Universities, Others / Funny Experiences In The Examination Hall. / Kaduna State University Graduates First Pharmacy Students (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.