Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? (1217 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by PremiumTech: 10:32pm On Oct 26, 2023
I feel it is too late if I travel to the UK or the Netherlands in search of greener pastures.

At the moment, I earn between N250,000 and, sometimes, N300,000 per month.

Married with 3 kids (6, 4, and 1 year). All boys.

My skills are GIS, web design using Joomla!, WordPress, and Drupal. I am also intermediate in HTML5, CSS, SEO, PHP, and MySQL Workbench. I am also an expert in content writing.

Armed with a Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Management and a Diploma in Basic Cyber Security, what are my chances of survival?

How sellable are my skills over there?

Will I survive?

I don't want to go do the caregiver job thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:38pm On Oct 26, 2023
Your skills are sellable.
Nigerians are programmed to believe that one can only do menial jobs in the developed world.

If you really have these skills with experience, honestly you will be a hotcake. Just make sure you optimise your LinkedIn and create a good CV

4 Likes

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by lifenija: 10:40pm On Oct 26, 2023
Shey na ur wife dey stress u ni? Better dey manage wetin u get or tell ur wife if u gat, to dey add join ur income n ur stress will b relieved

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:02pm On Oct 26, 2023
Your best bet is to find a job that can sponsor you on a work visa from Nigeria. Forget about the education route.

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by Gerrard59(m): 3:01am On Oct 27, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Your best bet is to find a job that can sponsor you on a work visa from Nigeria. Forget about the education route.

OP. this is it. You have to be thorough with your job search. Use the next two years to arm yourself with the right certifications and hone your skills. No point rushing it, but conduct your research thoroughly. When analysing countries, target those with a straightforward path to naturalisation. No go country wey no go give you strong passport except the salaries are very high like Switzerland and Singapore.

Please do note that it is your responsibility to search for everything. The Internet is free.

cc: PremiumTech

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by APOPTOSIS: 4:24am On Oct 27, 2023
Only the United States can still do magic to someone at 60 years of age. Anything outside the United States count me out. The first set of people you mingle with will go a long way to determining your future potential. No vex, I can only speak for the country wey I know!

2 Likes

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by ghettochild(m): 7:50am On Oct 27, 2023
You are still young n this is the ripe age to even japa....
Cos ur motivation will be ur kids and u will know what u r doing when u get abroad ooo..
But just have it in mind u may marry another woman over there.
Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by nnamdizen(m): 8:32am On Oct 27, 2023
My dear brother, even the care jobs you are looking down on is now scarce to get due to over demand. As a new immigrant, care jobs were the easiest means to settle down in the UK till you find your feet, but now the rush is crazy.
Someone like you with all your skillset stands a better chance if you get a company in the uk to work with from Nigeria, they will help facilitate your immigration plans.

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by duduade: 8:35am On Oct 27, 2023
If a man at almost 40 is thinking of leaving

All the young ones are leaving

God help Nigeria

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by Blackveil: 8:53am On Oct 27, 2023
PremiumTech:
I feel it is too late if I travel to the UK or the Netherlands in search of greener pastures.

My skills are GIS, web design using Joomla!, WordPress, and Drupal. I am also intermediate in HTML5, CSS, SEO, PHP, and MySQL Workbench. I am also an expert in content writing.

Armed with a Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Management and a Diploma in Basic Cyber Security, what are my chances of survival?

Will I survive?

Too old for the hustle and struggle.

I will always say this, Japa is for young agile men (not ajebutters).

Japa is not for women

Japa is not for people above 35 years

Japa is not for people earning at least 250k

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by PremiumTech: 8:56am On Oct 27, 2023
Gerrard59:

OP. this is it. You have to be thorough with your job search. Use the next two years to arm yourself with the right certifications and hone your skills. No point rushing it, but conduct your research thoroughly. When analysing countries, target those with a straightforward path to naturalisation. No go country wey no go give you strong passport except the salaries are very high like Switzerland and Singapore.

Please do note that it is your responsibility to search for everything. The Internet is free.

cc: PremiumTech

Thanks a lot.
Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by christejames(m): 9:06am On Oct 27, 2023
Tinubu has finally won at the apex court, relax and watch the magic no need to run...
Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by WeirdAlien: 9:30am On Oct 27, 2023
Too late for where?

With your web design skills, you'll make shortage of occupation list. Starting salary for inexperienced graduates is around £26k annually. There are high prospects for you!
UK employers value experience more than certifications. You don't need to have a UK degree or certificate to get web development jobs. You must demonstrate you have handled production level projects, worked with teams and overcame unexpected challenges along the way. Age is not a barrier in UK if you have experience.
All you need to do is - whatever you know, know it very well. Build your CV to showcase your experience.

PremiumTech:
Don't mind those people discouraging you - they have not been outside Nigeria.

My advice -
Let your wife use any work sponsored visa (care/support, teaching, catering, etc) and you be the dependant with the kids. There's sponsorship for dev jobs too, but they're mostly institutions that want you to be in the UK already.
There's a whole lot of job options for you here (contract, permanent, remote). Japa is expensive now, especially due to exchange rate but you won't regret it. Don't wait. It gets more difficult and expensive with time.

1 Like

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by Mindlog: 11:46am On Oct 27, 2023
Blackveil:

Japa is not for women

100% WRONG.

3 Likes

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by imoh4king(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2023
Blackveil:

Japa is not for women

Yes, for people earning N250K and above, you dont have any business with Japa.

But for those above 35, COME AND STOP US...

2 Likes

Re: At 38, What Are My Chances If Relocate Abroad? by optimusprime2(m): 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
PremiumTech:

Will I survive?

Brother...
Why are you stuck on UK & Netherlands??
Like seriously why the UK & Netherlands?? ?? ??

If you didn't have the skillset you listed, I would have probably given a not so enthusiastic reply.

Please you can japa at your age very easily and very conveniently, due to your tech-skillset which is in demand and can be continously improved anywhere in the world... I repeat Anywhere in the world.

However... please, please and please... the Japa formula is absolutely not: Japa=UK/Netherlands. X

To me your "UK/Netherlands mind stamp" as the japa yardstick is the major hindrance, not even your age.

Please look at; Finland, Norway, Canada, New Zealand, Portugal... oga the list is long.

The only challenge you may have would be language adaptation to some japa options, but asides that you are good.

Boss abeg siddon-well look this thing, you go find plenty options.

Stop discouraging yourself to read before even opening a book.

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Tell Me How To Get Qatar Visa / Are We 'slaves' In The Uk? / A Ghanian Becomes First Black Governor In Slovenia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.