Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana (1092 Views)

Oshiomhole On Ihedioha Vs Uzodinma: Court Shouldn’t Impose Governors On People / Difference Between 2015 And 2019 Postponement Of Elections / Onnoghen: Supreme Court Justices Shun Inauguration Of Elections Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by GuruboiNaija: 10:59am On Oct 28, 2023
Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, has claimed that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has the sole responsibility of determining the winners of elections in Nigeria and not the judiciary.

Falana stated this while answering questions on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Friday night.

His comments come a day after the Supreme Court upheld the election of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25 general election.

The apex court threw out the petitions from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, and Labour Party’s Peter Obi.

Falana has, however, noted that the country is yet to maintain a strong footing in the conduct of elections that are devoid of acrimony.

He said, “No doubt, the judgement of the Supreme Court ascended the electoral contestation as far as the presidential election conducted in February this year is concerned, but for sure, it is not a judicial endorsement of the conduct of the election by INEC.

“What I mean is that, even with the judgement, it is very clear that Nigeria has a long way to go in terms of ensuring that credible elections are conducted, elections that will be devoid of acrimony, elections that all of us will be proud of, but we are still a long way from there even with the judgement.

“Yes, for now, the presidential election is concluded; it should have been concluded in February, but it has just been concluded by the Supreme Court and it should not be so. The judiciary should not determine the winners of elections.”

https://.ng/2023/10/28/supreme-court-shouldnt-determine-winners-of-elections-falana/

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Mservice0: 11:00am On Oct 28, 2023
Fake country what else do you expect
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by DCmaverick(m): 11:01am On Oct 28, 2023
Fact!
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Urheadmaster(m): 11:08am On Oct 28, 2023
Femi Falana is always on point ☝️
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Xscape1993(m): 11:09am On Oct 28, 2023
Fraudulent elections....
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Bobloco: 11:12am On Oct 28, 2023
Femi Falana just said it all

Infact, INEC is not being held accountable
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by netpro(m): 11:13am On Oct 28, 2023
Jagaban, the hottest brand in Africa at the moment. Everyone is just trying to catch cruise and relevance with his name.

INEC. and not the Court declares election winners.

The court is for those who are not satisfied with the exercise approach, present. their case and seek redress.

Everyone knows this, especially Oga Falana. But as I said, it is what it is - everyone seeking relevance with the hottest brand in the continent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Cantonese: 11:22am On Oct 28, 2023
As long as we retain horrible politicians and a very horrible INEC, final decisions will continue to be taken by the tribunals, appeal courts and Supreme Court. Infact we all now know that election results are declared in two stages by INEC and the courts. If you fail at the INEC stage, then expect the courts to award it to you.

No wonder one person who came out fourth in tbe election was declared the winner by the Supreme Court.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by netpro(m): 11:24am On Oct 28, 2023
The highest court in the land has ruled. This matter is concluded in its finality.

Every disgruntled elements that still harbour any reservations can shove it down their own throat, walk the Sahara or swim the Atlantic. They will not be missed.

We mooove!
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by sarkinbauchi: 11:26am On Oct 28, 2023
GuruboiNaija:
Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, has claimed that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has the sole responsibility of determining the winners of elections in Nigeria and not the judiciary.

Falana stated this while answering questions on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Friday night.

His comments come a day after the Supreme Court upheld the election of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25 general election.

The apex court threw out the petitions from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, and Labour Party’s Peter Obi.

Falana has, however, noted that the country is yet to maintain a strong footing in the conduct of elections that are devoid of acrimony.

He said, “No doubt, the judgement of the Supreme Court ascended the electoral contestation as far as the presidential election conducted in February this year is concerned, but for sure, it is not a judicial endorsement of the conduct of the election by INEC.

“What I mean is that, even with the judgement, it is very clear that Nigeria has a long way to go in terms of ensuring that credible elections are conducted, elections that will be devoid of acrimony, elections that all of us will be proud of, but we are still a long way from there even with the judgement.

“Yes, for now, the presidential election is concluded; it should have been concluded in February, but it has just been concluded by the Supreme Court and it should not be so. The judiciary should not determine the winners of elections.”

https://.ng/2023/10/28/supreme-court-shouldnt-determine-winners-of-elections-falana/
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by JealousCobra(m): 11:38am On Oct 28, 2023
netpro:
The highest court in the land has ruled. This matter is concluded in its finality.

Every disgruntled elements that still harbour any reservations can shove it down their own throat, walk the Sahara or swim the Atlantic. They will not be missed.

We mooove!

Tifnubu's headaches just begun 🕶️🤔
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by netpro(m): 11:51am On Oct 28, 2023
JealousCobra:

Tifnubu's headaches just begun 🕶️🤔

As I said, it is all noise and all in pursuit of relevance.

Suddenly, all age-long laws and processes should be discarded just to discredit and weaken the President.

I get their fears. President Tinubu is not their mate. He is in the league of his own. Fear even catch Emefele that he sent over 200 million Nigerians through hell, just to weaken Jagaban. You know the outcome.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by JOemmy(m): 11:53am On Oct 28, 2023
Presidential elections in nigeria will continue to be manipulated till nigeria is completely restructured it's the current structure that's motivating characters like buhari and tinibu to go to any length to become nigeria's president.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by slivertongue: 12:28pm On Oct 28, 2023
I beg to disagree. They should rule based on the established law.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by StreetFight: 12:30pm On Oct 28, 2023
Cantonese:
As long as we retain horrible politicians and a very horrible INEC, final decisions will continue to be taken by the tribunals, appeal courts and Supreme Court. Infact we all now know that election results are declared in two stages by INEC and the courts. If you fail at the INEC stage, then expect the courts to award it to you.

No wonder one person who came out fourth in tbe election was declared the winner by the Supreme Court.

Emilokan Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by jude79(m): 12:39pm On Oct 28, 2023
netpro:
Jagaban, the hottest brand in Africa at the moment. Everyone is just trying to catch cruise and relevance with his name.

INEC. and not the Court declares election winners.

The court is for those who are not satisfied with the exercise approach, present. their case and seek redress.

Someone knows this, especially Oga Falana. But as I said, it is what it is - everyone seeking relevance with the hottest brand in the continent.

It's like I need to beat you up, before you get sense

Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by netpro(m): 12:43pm On Oct 28, 2023
jude79:

It's like I need to beat you up, before you get sense

Guy agam eti gi don't tell anybody. You no dey look face before ibido nzuzu?
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by greatermax77(m): 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2023
If supreme court is to determine who wins election
It's better the country scrabs off Inec .
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by mytime24(f): 1:23pm On Oct 28, 2023
Blame 👁 neck
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by jude79(m): 1:27pm On Oct 28, 2023
netpro:

Guy agam eti gi don't tell anybody. You no dey look face before ibido nzuzu?

No too much mouth, agbadorian come out let's see that your tiny power

Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by nairalanda1(m): 1:58pm On Oct 28, 2023
The basic problem is, as one FEDECO offical said in 1979, that Nigerian politicans don't believe an election is free and fair unless THEY win.

Look, we can do an election by electronic voting in this country, where all the votes are transferred real time to a central server in Abuja which spits out data on demand by the minute....so that everyone can follow, and which gives the final result one hour after closing....and the loser is going to come out and say that either INEC was manipulating the result, or the result was hacked and that is why they lost....and then off to court they go.

I am looking at the APC supporters with amusement. When they were in opposition, they were complaining about irregularities. Now they are in power, and nothing is wrong with INEC?

Anyway, we can have free and fair elections in Nigeria, it is just that politicans have to get rid of their do or die attitudes.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:03pm On Oct 28, 2023
Falana is a typical noise maker who at most times just wants to remain relevant.

The court is there for those who are not satisfied after INEC has declared the winner in an election to come with their evidence to prove otherwise. It's as simple as A,B,C. This is what is practiced even in the United States of America.

Falana is not in anyway close to Robert Clark when it comes to IQ and maturity.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2023
nairalanda1:
The basic problem is, as one FEDECO offical said in 1979, that Nigerian politicans don't believe an election is free and fair unless THEY win.

Look, we can do an election by electronic voting in this country, where all the votes are transferred real time to a central server in Abuja which spits out data on demand by the minute....so that everyone can follow, and which gives the final result one hour after closing....and the loser is going to come out and say that either INEC was manipulating the result, or the result was hacked and that is why they lost....and then off to court they go.

I am looking at the APC supporters with amusement. When they were in opposition, they were complaining about irregularities. Now they are in power, and nothing is wrong with INEC?

Anyway, we can have free and fair elections in Nigeria, it is just that politicans have to get rid of their do or die attitudes.

Am looking at Peter Obi and his followers obidients who praised the court when it awarded governorship to Peter Obi but today are criticizing the same court for not making him win through the court to become President.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by nairalanda1(m): 2:09pm On Oct 28, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Am looking at Peter Obi and his followers obidients who praised the court when it awarded governorship to Peter Obi but today are criticizing the same court for not making him win through the court to become President.

Which still goes to prove my point. And it is a problem all parties face.

APC gets the shot because they are running the show, and have had enough time to reform INEC, but they did not do it well enough
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:19pm On Oct 28, 2023
nairalanda1:

Which still goes to prove my point. And it is a problem all parties face.

APC gets the shot because they are running the show, and have had enough time to reform INEC, but they did not do it well enough

It only proves that you are butt hurt.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by nairalanda1(m): 2:21pm On Oct 28, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

It only proves that you are butt hurt.

cheesy

Am apolitical, old boy.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by jude79(m): 2:22pm On Oct 28, 2023
Netpro, oya takam, since you want form stubborn

Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:22pm On Oct 28, 2023
nairalanda1:

cheesy

Am apolitical, old boy.

That's a mere fantasy and self deception.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by nairalanda1(m): 2:27pm On Oct 28, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

That's a mere fantasy and self deception.

That's what you think. And you are free to think it. I've long learned the hard way that if a Nairalander thinks you are a peacock, he will maintain that belief when you show him proof that you are a duck in reality. cheesy

But no, I am apolitical. I may clap for the government of the day when they do well, I may even explain why government has to take x decsion, or why it should take y decision now, I may even tell people why Nigeria is poor is not a one man decision.

But support your party, or the other party? No thanks, ye are all the same.

Anyway, I can't convince you, so enjoy.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:33pm On Oct 28, 2023
nairalanda1:

That's what you think. And you are free to think it. I've long learned the hard way that if a Nairalander thinks you are a peacock, he will maintain that belief when you show him proof that you are a duck in reality. cheesy

But no, I am apolitical. I may clap for the government of the day when they do well, I may even explain why government has to take x decsion, or why it should take y decision now, I may even tell people why Nigeria is poor is not a one man decision.

But support your party, or the other party? No thanks, ye are all the same.

Anyway, I can't convince you, so enjoy.

You are butt hurt and hiding behind a so called 'apolitical'. grin
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by nairalanda1(m): 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

You are butt hurt and hiding behind a so called 'apolitical'. grin

No. Your tinubu, their obi, their atiku, they are all the same.

Better we get a government that would get us industrialized.
Re: Supreme Court Shouldn’t Determine Winners Of Elections – Falana by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:36pm On Oct 28, 2023
nairalanda1:

No. Your tinubu, their obi, their atiku, they are all the same.

Better we get a government that would get us industrialized.

The same?! Lol grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Shocked As APC Fixes Portharcourt Refinery, Begins Full Operation / $3.3B Loan:Shell Company Created In Bahamas By Alpha Beta Mafia To Loot $7B / How Many Bags Of Rice Can Your Salary Buy You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.