Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,549 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs (25990 Views)

Tinubu Approves ₦35,000 Wage Award To Civil Servants / FG Begins Payment Of 40% Salary Rise Arrears / I Can’t Pay N55m Nomination Fee - Buhari To APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by HenryThegreat1(m): 2:01am On Nov 02, 2023

Abuja-The are indications that the Federal Government’s promise to pay additional N35,000 wage to its workers for six months may have run into a hitch due to lack of cash.

Findings by Vanguard indicate that the Federal Government does not have enough money to pay all federal employees as it initially announced when it removed subsidy on premium motor spirit (petrol) in May 2023.

When President Bola Tinubu entered into a memorandum of understanding, MoU, with the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and the Trade Union Congress, TUC, on October 2 this year, he had accepted to pay N35,000 to each federal government worker in addition to the payment of 40 per cent special salary increase to the workers all in a bid to cushion the effects of the subsidy removal.

The announcement was well received by workers, even though the NLC expressed some reservations about the awards announced by the Presidency.

However, while all federal workers were expectant of getting more cash from the federal treasury following the promise, Vanguard gathered that the federal government does not have the required money to pay all categories of workers under its employ.

The lack of cash to pay the workers has been expressly communicated to the respective government agencies by the government, which has also asked them to source for funds and pay their workers, rather than expect any funding from the federation account.

It was learned that while the government has since paid workers under what it called “treasury-funded staff”, workers in most departments and agencies that collect their allocations from the consolidated revenue funds, will not be paid by the federal government.

Rather than being paid directly by the government, the affected federal MDAs have been ordered to source for funds internally to pay their workers both the N35,000 wage award and the 40 per cent special salary increase, a directive that has left most of the MDAs frustrated as workers prepare for a fight with them over non-payment, like their counterparts in ministries.

Indication of the Federal Government’s inability to pay all the workers under its employ emerged when the National Incomes and Wages Commission wrote to the Chief of Staff to the President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, ministers and heads of government parastatals and agencies, telling them the category of workers who should be paid and those to fend for themselves.

In the memo dated October 19, 2023, with reference: SWC.04/T/33, the National Incomes and Wages Commission, NIWC, asked all the MDAs on consolidated revenue not to expect government allocation in paying the award to their workers.

Although most of them are not revenue generating agencies, the Income and Wages Commission in the memo signed by the chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Ekpo Nta, asked them to either use their ”internally-generated revenue to pay their workers or rely on statutory allocation to pay same.”

The memo sighted exclusively by Vanguard, read: “I refer to the Memorandum of Understanding reached between the government of Nigeria and the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, TUC, on Monday, October 2, 2023, as a result arising from withdrawal of subsidy on the price of premium motor spirit and hereby convey the approval of the President and Commander Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the grant of N35,000:00 only per month to all federal workers, with effect from September 1, 2023, pending when minimum wage is expected to have been signed into law.

Accordingly, the implementation of the N35,000,00 per month wage award for all federal government ministries, departments and agencies will be funded from the treasury. 

”Non-treasury funded Federal Government agencies are to implement same from their internally generated revenue, IGR, or statutory allocations.

Enquiries concerning this circular should be directed to the National Incomes and Wages Commission.’

But most of the MDAs being asked by the government to look inwards for cash to pay the wage award and the 40 per cent salary increase, are confused and worried over government’s position, as they lack the resources to pay.

Some of the workers, who spoke in confidence with our correspondent yesterday, said they were shocked that the NIWC could turn around to circumvent the decision of the President to pay all workers from its till without discrimination between ‘treasury and non-treasury-funded agencies.

“We strongly suspect that Mr. President has not been properly briefed by the NIWC on the implementation of his wage award and salary increment with the NLC and it is impossible for most of the MDAs excluded from Service Wide Vote payment to secure cash to pay their agitated workers,” a chief executive officer of one of the federal parastatals, said yesterday.

Vanguard gathered that many workers’ unions have already confronted heads of MDAs with threats to disrupt their operations if they are not paid promptly as their counterparts in core federal ministries.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/11/wage-award-40-salary-increase-fg-dashes-hope-of-workers-cant-pay-mdas/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Deltafirstson(m): 2:02am On Nov 02, 2023
Labour has entered one chance.
But Tinubu government shall, there are never of any good news for the masses since this man took over.

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by ican2020: 3:14am On Nov 02, 2023
They don’t value Nigeria workers and just yesterday shege happened to NLC President

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by ButterBerry: 3:17am On Nov 02, 2023
Agbero Government have no shame in breaking promise.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Seefinish: 3:35am On Nov 02, 2023
Ojoro government
This is man who once described PDP as Papa Deceiving Pickin.
Now how do we describe APC?

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Chicagograduate(m): 4:57am On Nov 02, 2023
When Tinubu made those promises was because his electoral victory was been challenge.
Now that the supreme court has upheld his illegitimate victory he is now showing his true cœlour.
A president who will spend 1.5b Naira for the office of the first lady who is not recognised by the law,57billion Naira for the purchase of 409 SUVs for both the senate and reps,5b for the purchase of a yatcht cannot say there is a cash crunch.
Tinubu is only a philanthropist during election periods.
It is Tinubu s hatred against labour that made him to say "They will labour in vain"

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Chimarto: 5:06am On Nov 02, 2023
There's trouble in this country

45 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Lovemeharder(f): 5:40am On Nov 02, 2023
What a country. cry

15 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Racoon(m): 5:40am On Nov 02, 2023
Humn! This is in the same country a useless president wants to buy a 5B yacht? How can government be creating multiple political ministries, buying foreign exotic cars for the overfed NASS members among other wasteful jamboree by a government?

How can the criminal system in place enthrone a well crooked criminal as leader of a gang of superlooters in government and expect anything meaningful to happen? Nigeria is not ready for deliverance yet.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Johnrake69: 5:42am On Nov 02, 2023
Lol
Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by adesegun121(m): 5:44am On Nov 02, 2023
Ok
Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Validated: 5:45am On Nov 02, 2023
Suffering Lokan

5 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by SKYHIGHfx: 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
Tinubu is making it hard for his urchins to defend him on daily basis, I feel for them honestly.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Beverlyjean(f): 5:47am On Nov 02, 2023
It's under Tinubus government that Nigerians will finally revolt .... his bribery strategy will not work this time

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Beverlyjean(f): 5:49am On Nov 02, 2023
Seefinish:
Ojoro government
This is man who once described PDP as Papa Deceiving Pickin.
Now how do we describe APC?

Agbero promising crap

21 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by stano2(m): 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
Government by bribe and for bribe.

As you all are being bribed to support evil, the same way the money used for bribery is being recouped x10. Commonwealth being looted from all angles.
You all will learn.

I hope APC supporters on nairaland received their own SUVs.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Oritna94(m): 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
This one na one chance. E don be. I knew it may not come to pass.

5 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Machinegun91(m): 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
I pity government workers

Non of my family is government workers

Government don't know my family and my family don't know government either.

We hustle with our hands and brain.

May God bless all non governmental workers endlessly.

Government is an evil circle of demonic dragons

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Trustme2(m): 5:53am On Nov 02, 2023
Hmmmm. Which kind of insensitivity is this? Nigerians are resilient but they are being pushed to the brim on a daily basis. I suspect something will happen soon

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Watinhapen(m): 5:54am On Nov 02, 2023
It’s Okay. Na look we dey look from here. Who ever believed that Tinubu will care for the masses is deceiving him or herself. I don’t gain a single cent from Nigeria govt and will never.

5 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by 123readygo: 5:54am On Nov 02, 2023
Hmmmmmmm.

They cannot pay salaries yet there’s money to buy exotic cars for the legislators.

People are suffering because of removal of subsidy yet the government cannot save money…

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by highchief1: 6:00am On Nov 02, 2023
HenryThegreat1:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/11/wage-award-40-salary-increase-fg-dashes-hope-of-workers-cant-pay-mdas/
nigerian workers are the biggest problem we have in Nigeria.They are really servants.the name fits them.I wonder if I were a workers by now.I for don stop to go work.if my oga talk I go use 2/2 wipe am for head.when I see them rushing to work everyday I laugh.some revolution and protest you don’t need union to start it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by kaludestiny10(m): 6:02am On Nov 02, 2023
Day just break for some people.
Putting your hope on Tinubu is like pouring water into a basket.

17 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Bobloco: 6:02am On Nov 02, 2023
But there's so much money to buy presidential yacht for owambe

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by DatNiggaDaz: 6:03am On Nov 02, 2023
Thief'nubucrazy = Rascality. Nuff said

11 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by royalfly(m): 6:04am On Nov 02, 2023
Hmm
Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Femisol(m): 6:06am On Nov 02, 2023
I remain speechless 😶

2 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Theunbothered: 6:07am On Nov 02, 2023
His mumu fans kept believing in renewed lies. grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by DeAnonymousGuy(m): 6:09am On Nov 02, 2023
Labour don enter one chance. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by onyxo76(m): 6:12am On Nov 02, 2023
no wonder why I never see any 35k till now, never trust this FG with anything they promise.
The only thing certain is what they promise themselves, suvs, renovations etc costing billions of naira.

e Don tay this country don cast.

14 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by Inosky(m): 6:16am On Nov 02, 2023
Continuing from where Buhari! stopped, expect w0rst from a cr!minal in Power. Your future is mortgaged

6 Likes

Re: Wage Award, 40% Salary Increase:  FG Dashes Hope Of Workers, Can’t Pay MDAs by ZaddyJ: 6:16am On Nov 02, 2023
grin guy
Wen obedient disciples tell them to see the future they said we re morons and that agbado and cassava minister is the MOSES now see.
An evil inclined man will always carry out his threat. He informed us before his campaign for Nigeria to recruit millions of graduate into the Nigeria army and feed dem with agbado & cassava .
His zom&ies thought he was joking grin
Now e don set , see them all running around like tailless black mamba grin

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Josephine Faborpregha Dickson Weds Ogbere Michael (Photos) / Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / Jonathan In Closed-door Meeting With Abdusalami, Mbeki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.