Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,317 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary (27114 Views)

Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates / Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary / Oxford Dictionary Recognises IBERIBERISM As An English Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Teeklef(m): 7:11am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
Nah. Read your history books very well. The Yorubas were/are cowards who played snitches, spies and saboteurs (ie Awolowo) to the FMC during the Civil War and after. Only Benjamin Adekunle was brave enough to go to war and I will tell you why. Adekunle was born in Kaduna. His father was a native of Ogbomosho, while his mother was of the Bachama ethnicity (Adamawa). He underwent secondary education at the government college, Okene (now known as Abdul Aziz Atta Memorial College, Okene, in present-day Kogi State). He enlisted in the Nigerian Army in 1958 shortly after completing his school certificate examinations. He never lived in yorubaland but up north. Adekule is a yoruba man by name but hausa by bred, upbringing and undisputable maternal affiliation. No purebred yoruba man can go to a fight singlehandedly or collectively talk much of going to war.
For real
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by omoredia: 7:12am On Nov 02, 2023
Until e enter oxford wole soyinka no go accept am. FooI
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by spagettiluv: 7:13am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
Nah. Read your history books very well. The Yorubas were/are cowards who played snitches, spies and saboteurs (ie Awolowo) to the FMC during the Civil War and after. Only Benjamin Adekunle was brave enough to go to war and I will tell you why. Adekunle was born in Kaduna. His father was a native of Ogbomosho, while his mother was of the Bachama ethnicity (Adamawa). He underwent secondary education at the government college, Okene (now known as Abdul Aziz Atta Memorial College, Okene, in present-day Kogi State). He enlisted in the Nigerian Army in 1958 shortly after completing his school certificate examinations. He never lived in yorubaland but up north. Adekule is a yoruba man by name but hausa by bred, upbringing and undisputable maternal affiliation. No purebred yoruba man can go to a fight singlehandedly or collectively talk much of going to war.
at the mention of obasanjo,your coward father always shit in their pampers.
Well,I still blame OBJ for not wiping you lot from the surface of earth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by correctguy101(m): 7:16am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
They should remove "teria" and leave "buka" for us. I grow up to hear people called my mother "mamabuka" and my elder brother "Femibuka", because my mother had a local Restaurant in our town, in the 70s and early 80s where people could eat to their satisfaction, at a very affordable price.
Every Nigerian (especially Yoruba) knows what a buka is, which one is "bukateria" it's a new coinage that has no real meaning.

Old ancestor...
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 02, 2023
spagettiluv:
at the mention of obasanjo,your coward father always shit in their pampers.
Well,I still blame OBJ for not wiping you lot from the surface of earth
Prove my analysis wrong and stop using stupidity to defy logic.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by verifiablefacts: 7:25am On Nov 02, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Cafeteria, I know.
Buka, I know.
Bukateria, I know not. smiley

Small small you go grow reach.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by unity004(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2023
ZaddyJ:

I think the Teria best fit the word BUKA
For instance Cafe has the TERIA ending it .
So it will be nice if The word TERIA end BUKA
They added "teria" to buka cause you will always find bacteria in buka grin grin grin
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by factwriter(m): 7:33am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
They should remove "teria" and leave "buka" for us. I grow up to hear people called my mother "mamabuka" and my elder brother "Femibuka", because my mother had a local Restaurant in our town, in the 70s and early 80s where people could eat to their satisfaction, at a very affordable price.
Every Nigerian (especially Yoruba) knows what a buka is, which one is "bukateria" it's a new coinage that has no real meaning.

Far back in the early eighties the university of Ifé (now Obafemi Awolowo university) has food selling pavilions referred to as Bukateria. Yes, in the early eighties I saw this while on multiple visits to siblings studying on campus.

That when I first heard the word grin
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Teeklef(m): 7:35am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
Prove my analysis wrong and stop using stupidity to defy logic.
Oga which analysis are you talking about jor. General Akinrinade is an hausa abi.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by MYKELDAYO(m): 7:40am On Nov 02, 2023
femmykenny:
Give us Buka
let them take there teria
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by SeeItSayIt: 7:42am On Nov 02, 2023
wittywriter:

SeeitSayit...

Wittyness.

Mmmm, na lie?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by OYEDIPE(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2023
dododawa1:
When will APC entered ?
Oyinbo!!!
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 02, 2023
Teeklef:

Oga which analysis are you talking about jor. General Akinrinade is an hausa abi.
What are you high on? The topic here is Benjamin Adekunle sir! And don't forget, in Akinrinade's own words, Adekunle posted him and Alabi Isama out of his headquarters because they were sabotaging his efforts. Read history.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by tommy589(m): 7:48am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
Nah. Read your history books very well. The Yorubas were/are cowards who played snitches, spies and saboteurs (ie Awolowo) to the FMC during the Civil War and after. Only Benjamin Adekunle was brave enough to go to war and I will tell you why. Adekunle was born in Kaduna. His father was a native of Ogbomosho, while his mother was of the Bachama ethnicity (Adamawa). He underwent secondary education at the government college, Okene (now known as Abdul Aziz Atta Memorial College, Okene, in present-day Kogi State). He enlisted in the Nigerian Army in 1958 shortly after completing his school certificate examinations. He never lived in yorubaland but up north. Adekule is a yoruba man by name but hausa by bred, upbringing and undisputable maternal affiliation. No purebred yoruba man can go to a fight singlehandedly or collectively talk much of going to war. Never forget this, the hurriedly put together Biafra troops with little or no warfare preparation and no concrete STRUCTURE took on the already formidable federal troops and advanced up to Ore in Ondo state. Had it not being for your your inbuilt sabotaging nature, we all know what history would have been. Keep hating on the Igbos, who pass u don pass u.

So,it was Adekunle and his yet to be formed 3rd marine commandos that stopped Biafran soldiers at Ore?No warfare preparation and no concrete STRUCTURE and you went to war? How did it end?Futility of wars is known to the Yorubas than others because they fought more wars and understood displacement and refugees problems associated with it. Is it not better to jawjaw than to war?

Migrants from wars established towns like Ibadan and Abeokuta.Google to check several wars fought by pre colonial Yoruba and how powerful towns were made desolate

1 Like

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by tolue42(m): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

Yes I have. Why?

And you've never heard the word "bukateria" before?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 02, 2023
tommy589:

So,it was Adekunle and his yet to be formed 3rd marine commandos that stopped Biafran soldiers at Ore?No warfare preparation and no concrete STRUCTURE and you went to war? How did it end?Futility of wars is known to the Yorubas than others because they fought more wars and understood displacement and refugees problems associated with it. Is it not better to jawjaw than to war?

Migrants from wars established towns like Ibadan and Abeokuta.Google to check several wars fought by pre colonial Yoruba and how powerful towns were made desolate
The yorubas can not fight a war,you know as well as I know. Don't mistake communal and indigenous wars for national warfare.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Teeklef(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
What are you high on? The topic here is Benjamin Adekunle sir! And don't forget, in Akinrinade's own words, Adekunle posted him and Alabi Isama out of his headquarters because they were sabotaging his efforts. Read history.
I don't really know what you are high on also. You said no yoruba man has the gut to face war except Adekunle that was brought up in the north like you said. I mentioned Akinrinade and you are capping bahubali.

1 Like

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by iamdapsyj(m): 7:57am On Nov 02, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Cafeteria, I know.
Buka, I know.
Bukateria, I know not. smiley

But now you know 🤣
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by countryman13: 7:58am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
No vex bro na Change people dey Govt. Dey have changed our standard way of living to something else. One luv as per d BUKA stuff coz na d main thing back while growing up
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by 8stargeneral: 7:59am On Nov 02, 2023
APC urchin's will say it's tinubu achievement grin

For your information we know it since
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nazgul: 8:00am On Nov 02, 2023
I'm surprised Palavar hasn't entered yet. Fela made that word sound like an English word.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Cyrus176(m): 8:04am On Nov 02, 2023
ZaddyJ:

I think the Teria best fit the word BUKA
For instance Cafe has the TERIA ending it .
So it will be nice if The word TERIA end BUKA
Very soon we will not have a local language again because english will mix with all of them.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by NinjaMetahuman: 8:07am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
lol I know buka and we should to call it bukateria to sound fancy.

We also use stuff like fanimorous (which has also been included in English) we also have garrium (garri)
Etc. grin

1 Like

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by DMCY: 8:10am On Nov 02, 2023
inoki247:
Lol Bukata nko cry

🫵🤣
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by AbujaLagos: 8:10am On Nov 02, 2023
samuelpeters:
Dm still look for a way to wrist am by adding "teria"
Buka is enough abeg.
bukateria is preferable
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by absoluteSuccess: 8:16am On Nov 02, 2023
SeeItSayIt:
We don't steal ideas but we're very good in copying them while white will always look for a way to steal our ideas to make them theirs.

What's Bukateria?

It is Buka.

Don't coin, reform, reframe or rearrange it in anyway. It's as simple as BUKA.

Baba, there's bukateria, there's even buka cavity.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Absuchat(m): 8:16am On Nov 02, 2023
PepeXKermit:

If she loves nigerian english, and?
Asin ehn..... inferiority complex is worse than Coronavirus
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Exceed15: 8:21am On Nov 02, 2023
Den for leave am as buka
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Tetraozonaitera: 8:26am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:

Though, I know not your age but it's a wonder you've heard buka and never heard bucateria. It has been in existence since the 80s. Infact, it was common among the elites.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by ChiefOloye(m): 8:32am On Nov 02, 2023
Tetraozonaitera:

Though, I know not your age but it's a wonder you've heard buka and never heard bucateria. It has been in existence since the 80s. Infact, it was common among the elites.
I didn't say I don't know was bukateria is, my point is if they want to have a new word in the English lexicon, it should be "Buka" not "Bukateria"

1 Like

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by xjiggy: 8:33am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
Bukateria has been in existence for long. Back in my university days in the late 90's we used the word frequently. Maybe it was not popular in some cities but in Benin city, we know bukateria
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 02, 2023
Teeklef:

I don't really know what you are high on also. You said no yoruba man has the gut to face war except Adekunle that was brought up in the north like you said. I mentioned Akinrinade and you are capping bahubali.
No sir, Akinrinade lived under the shadows of Adekunle and he also like every other yoruba man was afraid of war thus the paper he drafted alongside his cohort in Aba to quickly end the war and run back home.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mayowa Mubashir Abiru From Babcock Is Best In Law School Bar Exams / Very Common English Language Errors / Sex For Marks In Nigerian Universities: The Untold Stories!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.