Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,360 members, 7,819,289 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary (27129 Views)

Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates / Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary / Oxford Dictionary Recognises IBERIBERISM As An English Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by PlaysNigeria: 8:42am On Nov 02, 2023
please help us add bukata, because this bukata is just too much on nigerians
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Drsmartphilips: 8:43am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
Nah. Read your history books very well. The Yorubas were/are cowards who played snitches, spies and saboteurs (ie Awolowo) to the FMC during the Civil War and after. Only Benjamin Adekunle was brave enough to go to war and I will tell you why. Adekunle was born in Kaduna. His father was a native of Ogbomosho, while his mother was of the Bachama ethnicity (Adamawa). He underwent secondary education at the government college, Okene (now known as Abdul Aziz Atta Memorial College, Okene, in present-day Kogi State). He enlisted in the Nigerian Army in 1958 shortly after completing his school certificate examinations. He never lived in yorubaland but up north. Adekule is a yoruba man by name but hausa by bred, upbringing and undisputable maternal affiliation. No purebred yoruba man can go to a fight singlehandedly or collectively talk much of going to war. Never forget this, the hurriedly put together Biafra troops with little or no warfare preparation and no concrete STRUCTURE took on the already formidable federal troops and advanced up to Ore in Ondo state. Had it not being for your your inbuilt sabotaging nature, we all know what history would have been. Keep hating on the Igbos, who pass u don pass u.
Yoruba that empires in several countries, Yoruba that fought countless wars,show me igbo empire, Yoruba has been decimating you pigs for ages

1 Like

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Drsmartphilips: 8:44am On Nov 02, 2023
DrAlake29:

Btw nairaland and X, I cant tell where gbasgbos plenty pass๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚I go run commot X cuz of gbasgbos...I go run come here meet another level of gbasgbos๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ e fun won ni pressure๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
I am praying for all out war with the igbos so we can make them go extinct like the dodo,they are a ugly set of idiots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Drsmartphilips: 8:45am On Nov 02, 2023
igwebuike01:

Since when did Nigeria state and foreign partners in crime become yoruba ethnic force? Go and make fulani scamper first make we check something
ask your father about Obasanjo and Adekunle, you igbos are dull
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Yoighaman(m): 8:49am On Nov 02, 2023
When are they going to add 'Beer Parlour'?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by ugotaya: 8:51am On Nov 02, 2023
SEEING THINGS LIKE THIS MAKES US SMILE AND FEEL BELONG IN THIS WORLD. PLEASE LET GOOD THINGS,GOOD HABITS, GOOD CHARACTERISTICS,GOOD BEHAVIOUR BEGINNING TO ROLL OUT TO THE WORLD FROM THIS COUNTRY.

YES, WE CAN DO IT grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by absoluteSuccess: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:

I didn't say I don't know was bukateria is, my point is if they want to have a new word in the English lexicon, it should be "Buka" not "Bukateria"

That's awesome, it's another perspective entirely which is good, but that can only be if the word being "lexicograde" is just been coined to serve a new global need.

But if not, it's already a lexicon in Yoruba, Hausa and pidgin, it's not a new word, it's of the same value as English "canteen". Would Oxford want to replace canteen with buka?

Buka, bu, ka: take readings as you are putting it. So the word has always been and etymologically enshrined. What can get it anglicized is the sufix, not the prefix, buka.

If there is Oxford Yoruba dictionary, buka is already an entry by default. Buka, bukata, bulala, bulu...etc. if you are first to invent something and you call it your name, nobody can change that.

They were not doing anyone a favor but updating their lexicon after the last update.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2023
Drsmartphilips:
Yoruba that empires in several countries, Yoruba that fought countless wars,show me igbo empire, Yoruba has been decimating you pigs for ages
Laughs hysterically.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by oneman2k7: 8:57am On Nov 02, 2023
Let kobalise enter too.

Since Oyinbo no normal again
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by KaptainRobin: 8:58am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:

Every Nigerian (especially Yoruba) knows what a buka is, which one is "bukateria" it's a new coinage that has no real meaning.

Is there anything from Nigeria that makes sense? grin
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by justking(m): 9:12am On Nov 02, 2023
Nice development
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Maxitomxane(m): 9:14am On Nov 02, 2023
How come nobody has asked the question- when will Agbado enter oxford dictionary? grin
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by tommy589(m): 9:31am On Nov 02, 2023
Chokehold:
The yorubas can not fight a war,you know as well as I know. Don't mistake communal and indigenous wars for national warfare.

Are you saying the civil war that collapsed Oyo Empire, that was bigger than present day England (Country) was not national war?

Adekunle Fajuyi,who chose to die with his guest Aguiyi Ironsi is also a Yoruba coward? The coup plotters came for Aguiyi Ironsi. In the spirit of Omoluabi,and never to label Yoruba as cowards or collaborators,he insisted he will die along with his guest.

Is it Wole Soyinka, that's now a coward.
Incarcerated and spent almost two years in solitary confinement,because he was going all over and bringing the world's attention to the plights of biafrans

And who has war helped?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by MatthiasChin: 9:33am On Nov 02, 2023
Next will be "japa"
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by iukpe: 9:35am On Nov 02, 2023
Na dem get English. We don dey help dem damage am. Soon we go see "Reverse Back" for Oxford. lipsrsealed
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by iukpe: 9:36am On Nov 02, 2023
MatthiasChin:
Next will be "japa"

I de tell you.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by iukpe: 9:37am On Nov 02, 2023
oneman2k7:
Let kobalise enter too.

Since Oyinbo no normal again

Even balablu bulabai grin
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by GanagiBitrus: 9:50am On Nov 02, 2023
tolue42:

And you've never heard the word "bukateria" before?
Honestly I haven't, & I'll prefer to stick with Buka which is more widely known.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by APOPTOSIS: 9:55am On Nov 02, 2023
Why "ASHAWO" never enter since..?
Between ashawo & this Bukateria which one is older?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Buhari4sale: 10:05am On Nov 02, 2023
tommy589:

Are you saying the civil war that collapsed Oyo Empire, that was bigger than present day England (Country) was not national war?

Adekunle Fajuyi,who chose to die with his guest Aguiyi Ironsi is also a Yoruba coward? The coup plotters came for Aguiyi Ironsi. In the spirit of Omoluabi,and never to label Yoruba as cowards or collaborators,he insisted he will die along with his guest.

Is it Wole Soyinka, that's now a coward.
Incarcerated and spent almost two years in solitary confinement,because he was going all over and bringing the world's attention to the plights of biafrans

And who has war helped?

Oil dey your head. Nice upper with a logical analysis. Beep me tomorrow for a catfish pepper soup and a bottle of Jameson
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 10:44am On Nov 02, 2023
Buka is a Yoruba word not hausa.
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by DissTroy(m): 11:18am On Nov 02, 2023
ChiefOloye:
They should remove "teria" and leave "buka" for us. I grow up to hear people called my mother "mamabuka" and my elder brother "Femibuka", because my mother had a local Restaurant in our town, in the 70s and early 80s where people could eat to their satisfaction, at a very affordable price.
Every Nigerian (especially Yoruba) knows what a buka is, which one is "bukateria" it's a new coinage that has no real meaning.

Nigerians have a tendency to anglicise their native languages to feel better about themselves.

Kelechi is Kaycee;
Temilola is now Temmy;
Bassey is now Baci;
Akara is beancake. Heck! It's not even a cake as it's just deep-fried bean pudding; but why complicate it when you can just call it "akara"?
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by jubrilcastle(m): 11:19am On Nov 02, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Cafeteria, I know.
Buka, I know.
Bukateria, I know not. smiley
Lol. But now you know
In fact you must know
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by dododawa1: 2:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
OYEDIPE:

Oyinbo!!!
Naija language
Re: Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary by Emeskhalifa(m): 4:14pm On Nov 02, 2023
samuelpeters:
Dm still look for a way to wrist am by adding "teria"
Buka is enough abeg.

U dey mind oyibo?
Never heard anything like Bukateria. Na buka we sabi o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okorocha Invests Innoson As IMSU Chancellor (pics) / Cambridge A Levels!!!!! / Sex For Marks In Nigerian Universities: The Untold Stories!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.