Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) (62298 Views)

Hardship: FCT Consumers Turn To β€˜awara’ As Substitute For Meat / Substitute For Meat And Fish / Cheapest Substitute For Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by JuanDeDios: 10:34pm On Nov 05, 2023
Xmen149:

Will that ever work?.the grains are as small as the sand and stones..na abandoned project
It is.

But maybe Elon Musk or Faith Odunsi will get creative and invent a machine - who knows?

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by ednut1(m): 10:43pm On Nov 05, 2023
mariahAngel:
This is fonio.

What more could we ask for? πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Pictures' source: Google
before the Portuguese brought rice, cassava, potatoes, maize and tomatoes to us 500 years ago. Our ancestors we’re eating this in the south

2 Likes

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by omooba969(m): 10:51pm On Nov 05, 2023
mariahAngel:

What if fonio is the "better"? undecided

My argument is that if the economy was good, would you have considered fonio?

Do you know pio-pio? grin

Janejive how are you? smiley
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Ikukuudo: 10:56pm On Nov 05, 2023
This one go soon cost for market. grin . Nothing compares or replaces rice

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by justking(m): 10:58pm On Nov 05, 2023
Recipe
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by youngrichnigga: 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2023
Thinubu warned una with the slogan "garri, ewa, corn, hunhun, hunhun, yam, agbado etc. That's the hunhun he mentioned shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 11:45pm On Nov 05, 2023
grandstar:
This makes sense rather than be pouring money into rice, a product the country lacks comparative advantage in.
you don come o.
How is cocoa doing? Something we have all the advantage in and not just comparative advantage?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 11:48pm On Nov 05, 2023
youngrichnigga:
Thinubu warned una with the slogan "garri, ewa, corn, hunhun, hunhun, yam, agbado etc. That's the hunhun he mentioned shocked shocked shocked shocked

LWKMD! 🀣🀣🀣🀣
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 11:51pm On Nov 05, 2023
ednut1:
before the Portuguese brought rice, cassava, potatoes, maize and tomatoes to us 500 years ago. Our ancestors we’re eating this in the south

Really?
Diabetes would probably never have been prevalent had people remained on it then.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Raylight2(m): 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2023
mariahAngel:
This is fonio.

What more could we ask for? πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Pictures' source: Google
Taste?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 11:55pm On Nov 05, 2023
Raylight2:

Taste?

Depends on what you cook it with.
By itself, earthy.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by adanonso(f): 12:06am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:
Ways it can be cooked.

So, what do you think people?
Can you replace this with rice for the mean time? cheesy
Would you be willing to give it a try? I sure would.

Yes. Where can I get the seed for planting. So I can plant it this dry season. . Also is fonio the Google name??
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Originalsly: 12:15am On Nov 06, 2023
Hmmm.... rice is carbohydrate... this one is definitely wayyyy more nutritious than rice. Grown in the North... eaten in the North ... good for self sufficiently. It would be nice e if it becomes available nationwide ... but the most important thing is price.... how does the price compare to that of rice?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by id4sho(m): 12:23am On Nov 06, 2023
yeyebrity:
I think some tribes call it acha (correct me if I'm wrong). Unfortunately, the taste can never compare to rice. If it isn't rice, then forget it.
Grown in Plateau State a.k.a ACHA
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Contango(m): 12:24am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

We never see food chop belleful, na to feed fowl? grin

No mind am. Where the fowl go even dey? Something wey I go roast chop with the fonio grin
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Mohisah: 12:26am On Nov 06, 2023
I've tried to master it, but cldnt consume above 2-4 spoons. It used for makin cous-cous
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by grandstar(m): 12:35am On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
you don come o.
How is cocoa doing? Something we have all the advantage in and not just comparative advantage?

We could do better in cocoa but not enough money is being poured into it. Rather, the country focuses on rice.

More importantly, the biggest problem our exports have is high cost of loans. This discourages not only increase in agricultural production but movement up the value chain.

Nigeria has only grabbed the low hanging fruit. For the country to move up the value chain from semi-processing commodities to even a final product such as chocolate, affordable credit is needed. It would be great if companies can borrow money at 8% for instance. It would lead to an investment boom.

The high cost of credit is why nigerian businesses prefer trading.

Also, it is a myth that producing cocoa gives you a comparative advantage in making chocolate.

I have noticed that the countries that do best in chocolate are those with a very high per capita consumption of it like Switzerland and Belgium.

A country like Turkey which produce chocolate do so for the low end of the market.

Nigeria however isn't doing badly with cocoa. The nation produces Milo, Bournvita, Ovaltine and so on. Many of them are even exported outside Nigeria to West and Central Africa in lorry loads.

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by 3seriez(m): 1:08am On Nov 06, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
It looks like couscous

It is called Acha in Nigeria. Popular in the core North. Mostly cooked as tuwo to be eaten with soup of choice.

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Hamurabik: 1:26am On Nov 06, 2023
It's far more expensive compared to rice. Do a simple finding. In jos (Acher headquarters in Nigeria), it's big man food
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 1:44am On Nov 06, 2023
grandstar:

We could do better in cocoa but not enough money is being poured into it. Rather, the country focuses on rice.

More importantly, the biggest problem our exports have is high cost of loans. This discourages not only increase in agricultural production but movement up the value chain.

Nigeria has only grabbed the low hanging fruit. For the country to move up the value chain from semi-processing commodities to even a final product such as chocolate, affordable credit is needed. It would be great if companies can borrow money at 8% for instance. It would lead to an investment boom.

The high cost of credit is why nigerian businesses prefer trading.

Also, it is a myth that producing cocoa gives you a comparative advantage in making chocolate.

I have noticed that the countries that do best in chocolate are those with a very high per capita consumption of it like Switzerland and Belgium.

A country like Turkey which produce chocolate do so for the low end of the market.

Nigeria however isn't doing badly with cocoa. The nation produces Milo, Bournvita, Ovaltine and so on. Many of them are even exported outside Nigeria to West and Central Africa in lorry loads.

You like rationalizing textbook theories more than being realistic and practical.

Rice yield in Nigeria averages 2 tonne per hectare. That's 2000 kg per 10,000 sqm.
Instead of comparative advantage theories, implore any hungry man out there to farm a quarter of an acre and have at least 10 bags of rice to fall back to.
If I may ask, what do we(Nigerians) have comparative advantage in?

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by ednut1(m): 2:08am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

Really?
Diabetes would probably never have been prevalent had people remained on it then.
famine was common back then. Ajayi crowther gave an account when he went to Onitsha in 1857.

https://www.nairaland.com/7774235/how-samuel-ajayi-crowther-arrived
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by grandstar(m): 2:13am On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:

You like rationalizing textbook theories more than being realistic and practical.

Rice yield in Nigeria averages 2 tonne per hectare. That's 2000 kg per 10,000 sqm.
Instead of comparative advantage theories, implore any hungry man out there to farm a quarter of an acre and have at least 10 bags of rice to fall back to.
If I may ask, what do we(Nigerians) have comparative advantage in?

Stop telling people to go back to the farms. It is archaic.

Look at what these tiny nations are accomplishing

Israel's with 9.5 million people: exports $188bn imports: $108bn
Switzerland 8.63 million people: Exports $488bn Imports: 291bn
Netherlands: 17.5million people: Exports: 719bn Imports: $454bn

If Nigeria wanted, we can produce enough rice to feed the globe but lack comparative advantage.

That is why there's practically a ban on the importation of the product. Nigerians are now compelled to pay more for rice than they should otherwise do because locally produced rice is costly.

Sheabutter, sesame seed, cocoa, cashew nuts and so on. Please note that a country having comparative advantage in one product today does mean you can't lose it tomorrow.

For instance, many enterprises that used to purchase products from China are now buying it from other countries due to rising labor costs in China that have forced an increase in the price of Chinese made goods.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by NothingDoMe: 3:28am On Nov 06, 2023
NoSmoking:
Too tiny

It should be fed to fowl

πŸ₯΄πŸ€•
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Terrahawk: 3:38am On Nov 06, 2023
Thanks πŸ‘πŸ» a lot. I have just ordered these on Amazon to try out. Should be interesting.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Funflipper: 4:36am On Nov 06, 2023
Apus:
Na.. it can't!!!

Looks like Acheke.

It is better than eating rice.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by ClCahiha(m): 4:48am On Nov 06, 2023
There is nothing you can replace rice with period!!
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by LadeeE: 5:22am On Nov 06, 2023
Healthier? Yes, cheaper? No
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by omolola12345(m): 5:40am On Nov 06, 2023
Please what about the price? Is fonio cheaper than rice? And can it be planted in south west Nigeria?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by adecares(f): 5:42am On Nov 06, 2023
This is couscous, when I tried cooking it the normal way, I poured it away, since then what I did is to blend it, mix it with cassava flour and make it into swallow. Very nice
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Houseontherock1: 5:47am On Nov 06, 2023
ILoveNG:

Rice can never be substituted
Not in Nigeria
We love rice
Ofada rice tried it, it still can’t replace our normal rice
Ofada is a lot more expensive than the regular rice, a lot more nutritious and most times we only get them at shopping malls in small packages of 2kgs or 10kg
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by adisabarber(m): 5:58am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

I can imagine. Considering how very tiny the grains are.

Are you based in the north?

Not right now but I have lived in the North.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by breezeng: 6:18am On Nov 06, 2023
Let's try this one and the price of rice will fall.
I believe. All this rise in price of rice are man made for selfish gain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Local Rice Hits Lagos Market For N14,000 (Photos) / Please See 700 Naira Fish (pic) / A Nairalander's Trap Caught A Monitor Lizard. See What He Did With It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.