Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,045 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) (62303 Views)

Hardship: FCT Consumers Turn To ‘awara’ As Substitute For Meat / Substitute For Meat And Fish / Cheapest Substitute For Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by blowjohn(m): 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2023
This one wey e resemble cerelac like this wink

By the way, is it the same thing as 'cuscus' or kuskus'?

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2023
grandstar:

My Jesus is lord! 10 tons. Even if Nigeria achieve 5 tons that would be something.

These people never learn. How will you advise people in this day and age to go into farming as though it is the antidote to country's economic malaise?

Czech republic which is about 15 years (my guess) behind economies such as that of fellow EU member states like Belgium or Austria exports $181bn worth of goods.

RepoMan007
lol. The way you and your clique of textbook economists cling unto unworkable ideas is nothing less than stunning. I used the lower value of 2 tonnes for my illustration because most farmers around are subsistence farmers who do it to get by.
If you will be honest about your textbook ideas and do a little bit of research, you will quickly see there are Nigerians achieving close to 10 tonnes a hectare but very few. You will also realize many are afraid of GMO and so willingly embrace low yielding varieties. Mechanization is also an issue. Irrigation(lack of it) is another.
Thee are issues that can be overcome and bring most farmers closer to Egypt's 10 tonne per hectare like Olams and few other major farms are achieving.
I cannot see how any of the above amounts to lack of competitive advantage when you consider the place of rice in food preference table of Nigerians. Getting a meagre 2 tonnes per hectare is to me far better than 1.5 tonne of corn(arguably, the best next stable to rice) per heectare.

It seems to me you are more interested in winning a debate than being realistic and reasonable about issues leading to low productivity of rice by local farmers.

We haven't talked about the issue of taxes too o. Levies by third parties like thugs who extort them or bandits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2023
blowjohn:
This one wey e resemble cerelac like this wink

By the way, is it the same thing as 'cuscus' or kuskus'?
it is more of a babyfood thing than a rice alternative. Though they call it poor man's rice, it isn't as sweet as rice or as satisfying as rice. It offers more in termsmof nutritional spread but is still inferior to rice in terms of staple food.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 3:42pm On Nov 06, 2023
Blue3k:

He admitted Nigeria doesn't have the competitive advantage without noticing. Other countries get much better yields. Getting 2 tons per hectare is very low. The most productive countries get 10 tons per hectare. The average should be around 5.
Depending how you interpret the phrase, competitive advantage, I don't thing you understood my post. I am aware Egypt is averaging 10 tonnes. My point is what other crop can Nigerians cultivate better than rice that is key staple food?
I throw the challenge to you openly. The moniker you supporting, that's mouthing competitive advantage, couldnt provide any other crops we have competitive advantage in.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Blue3k(m): 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
Depending how you interpret the phrase, competitive advantage, I don't thing you understood my post. I am aware Egypt is averaging 10 tonnes. My point is what other crop can Nigerians cultivate better than rice that is key staple food?
I throw the challenge to you openly. The moniker you supporting, that's mouthing competitive advantage, couldnt provide any other crops we have competitive advantage in.

Yams and cassava are staple foods Nigeria has a competitive advantage in production. Nigeria is the world's largest yam producer. The country lacks on the export side because transportation and storage requirements.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2023
Blue3k:

Yams and cassava are staple foods Nigeria has a competitive advantage in production. Nigeria is the world's largest yam producer. The country lacks on the export side because transportation and storage requirements.
Compare the cost of those crops in Côte d' voire to ours and see if we still have a competitive edge in yam and cassava production. Being worlds largest producer doesn't translate to having a competitive advantage in something. Yams are far cheaper in ivory coast. It is like saying Nigeria is an economic giant because of GDP size but ignoring per capita poverty indices that exposes low living standard.

By the way, my understanding of competitive advantage in production is summarized in the cost of producing that thing. If I can produce something cheaper then I have competitive e advantage in its production. Yours seem to be about the country that's the largest producer without factoring in whether the volume produced can cover half of local demand. Mind you, demand is dictated by supply level for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Blue3k(m): 5:18pm On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
Compare the cost of those crops in Côte d' voire to ours and see if we still have a competitive edge in yam and cassava production. Being worlds largest producer doesn't translate to having a competitive advantage in something. Yams are far cheaper in ivory coast. It is like saying Nigeria is an economic giant because of GDP size but ignoring per capita poverty indices that exposes low living standard.

What do you think competitive advantage means? Nigeria not only produces the most it has highest production per hectare. The cost is affected by things other than it's supply. This is why Nigeria isn't a huge exporter despite it huge production.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 5:37pm On Nov 06, 2023
Blue3k:

What do you think competitive advantage means? Nigeria not only produces the most it has highest production per hectare. The cost is affected by things other than it's supply. This is why Nigeria isn't a huge exporter despite it huge production.
Things unique to Nigeria. That makes us have no competitive advantage as you posited.
As for the other aspects like cost of production or yield per hectare, I won't spend too much energy on those, I believe you must have seen what am talking about.

With the way we are setup in Nigeria, we can hardly have any competitive advantage in anything. Largest producer doesn't mean you have it cheapest. Our beaf/cow milk cost is one of the worlds lowest if not the lowest, but if we attempt to scale up based the current nomadic template of herders, it will only mean more crops of farmers and their blood sacrificed. That is a good example of low production cost, but no competitive advantage. We just sacrificing crops to have cheap beaf.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by blowjohn(m): 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
it is more of a babyfood thing than a rice alternative. Though they call it poor man's rice, it isn't as sweet as rice or as satisfying as rice. It offers more in termsmof nutritional spread but is still inferior to rice in terms of staple food.

I see. Tnx for the Info.
But it's not the popular 'kuskus' ba?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 8:15pm On Nov 06, 2023
scally11:

Instead make I chop this food I rather die. I mean what is this? Even this is not fit for sacrifice, the gods will reject it.

You will not die.

Be careful what you type about yourself.
Our words go deeper than we think.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Gsentme(m): 8:38pm On Nov 06, 2023
NoSmoking:

🤣
Help me ask him. The nigga need brain resetting slap. Why you come dey shine teeth for the question
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Dshocker(m): 5:57pm On Nov 07, 2023
mariahAngel:

We never see food chop belleful, na to feed fowl? grin

So you no see food chop, but you voted for APC!!!
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by princessyere1(f): 6:26pm On Nov 07, 2023
JuanDeDios:

It does o! If you call an online vendor and say "hope there is no san-san in your own?" They will say "Noooo. This one doesn't have sand o." The ones that have small fear of God will say, "E used to have small sand. So you will wash it very well." But they're all lying. Next time Akpabio and his fellow prayer warriors amend the constitution, they should insert a provision either banning that thing or mandating its producers to put a san-san warning label.
Lmao this thing vex you o 🤣🤣🤣 that means e really no good 😂
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by JuanDeDios: 7:36pm On Nov 07, 2023
princessyere1:

Lmao this thing vex you o 🤣🤣🤣 that means e really no good 😂
E vex me o. If you cook that thing and feed it to my bingo, if i don't pay area boys or NURTW members to beat you up, make I bend.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 07, 2023
I have not had rice in like one month. I avoid rice and bread!

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 9:52pm On Nov 07, 2023
Dshocker:

So you no see food chop, but you voted for APC!!!
🥺
🤲🏼
Shey you go buy food for me?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 9:53pm On Nov 07, 2023
Skyview01:
I have not had rice in like one month. I avoid rice and bread!

Any reason why?
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2023
mariahAngel:

Any reason why?

Cutting carbs to reduce sugar and calories.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 9:38am On Nov 08, 2023
Skyview01:

Cutting carbs to reduce sugar and calories.

Okay. smiley
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Swiftgrp: 7:02pm On Nov 17, 2023
mariahAngel:
This is fonio.

What more could we ask for? 🤷🏽‍♀️

Pictures' source: Google
Insightful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Swiftgrp: 7:06pm On Nov 17, 2023
mariahAngel:
Ways it can be cooked.

So, what do you think people?
Can you replace this with rice for the mean time? cheesy
Would you be willing to give it a try? I sure would.
It looks like the famous couscous eaten in the Northern Nigeria and in the Sahelian region of West Africa. I've tasted couscous but it's nothing close to the different types of rice in taste. Couscous originally came in from North Africa.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by vikstandon(m): 11:55pm On Dec 03, 2023
mariahAngel:

We never see food chop belleful, na to feed fowl? grin

Give am foul, chop foul.
Na two food, you chop be that!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Local Rice Hits Lagos Market For N14,000 (Photos) / Please See 700 Naira Fish (pic) / Ladies Shocked To Discovered Ponmon Inside Their Shawarma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.