Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? (1231 Views)

Can One Combine Learning Programming With Schooling For A CS Degree? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:47am On Nov 06, 2023
What Can A CS Degree holder program that a self-taught cannot do?
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by RepoMan007: 9:51am On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:
What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do?
What can a surgeon do that a quack cannot do?

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:44am On Nov 06, 2023
RepoMan007:
What can a surgeon do that a quack cannot do?

Good answer. But how many senior devs, team leads and development managers have a CS degree or related programming degree? And why are the authorities not making it mandatory for them to?
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by excanny: 4:45pm On Nov 06, 2023
What exactly is the point of this thread?
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 5:46pm On Nov 06, 2023
excanny:
What exactly is the point of this thread?
The mumu is looking for public validation to justify his inability or his unwillingness to get a university degree, all these self taught people sef grin

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Maj196(m): 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2023
CS degree is irrelevant. The best coders today doesn't have a fvking CS degree

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2023
Maj196:
CS degree is irrelevant. The best coders today doesn't have a fvking CS degree
Please give us an example of one of the best coders? smiley
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
The mumu turmacs is looking for public validation to justify his inability or his unwillingness to get a university degree, all these self taught people sef grin

No need for insults. I already had a degree in computer programming over a decade ago.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:

No need for insults. I already had a degree in computer programming over a decade ago.
please where did i insult you? 😕
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by excanny: 6:17pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
The mumu is looking for public validation to justify his inability or his unwillingness to get a university degree, all these self taught people sef grin

Whether a CS graduate or self-taught, you can't do your work well as a software developer without a good knowledge of computer science.

Via the means you learnt it is immaterial. You can't escape it.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:18pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
please where did i insult you? 😕

Okay read your post below again and you will see for yourself.

turmacs:
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 6:19pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:

Okay read your post below again and you will see for yourself.

when did calling someone a mumu become an insult? All these self taught people sef
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:24pm On Nov 06, 2023
excanny:
Whether a CS graduate or self-taught, you can't do your work well as a software developer without a good knowledge of computer science.

Via the means you learnt it is immaterial. You can't escape it.

True! But there is a limit to what a self-taught can learn on their own without a degree in CS of SE
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:28pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
when did calling someone a mumu become an insult? All these self taught people sef

Okay you are the mumu that thinks I'm a self-taught. I had my SE degree over a decade ago in Europe.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 6:34pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:

Okay you are the mumu that thinks I'm a self-taught. I had my SE degree over a decade ago in Europe.
Software Engineering is not Computer Science, period.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 6:55pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
Software Engineering is not Computer Science, period.

A degree in Software Engineering and computer Science are very similar, it's just that one is an engineer and the other a scientist. I did a 3 year core Software Engineering degree course in Europe. We covered core computer science modules plus core modules mainly for Software Engineering. Computer Science gives you the chance to major in Software Engineering.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:

A degree in Software Engineering and computer Science are very similar, it's just that one is an engineer and the other a scientist. I did a 3 year core Software Engineering degree course in Europe. We covered core computer science modules plus core modules mainly Software Engineering. Computer Science gives you the chance to major in Software Engineering.
They are not similar anything Oga. Software Engineer is for those people who their head can not carry CS, but they want to study Something computer related that feels like the main thing so they just settled for Software Engineering, which is just one of the numerous branches of Computer Science. You either Studied Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics. Any other one na nonsense wannabe
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 7:23pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
They are not similar anything Oga. Software Engineer is for those people who their head can not carry CS, but they want to study Something computer related that feels like the main thing so they just settled for Software Engineering, which is just one of the numerous branches of Computer Science. You either Studied Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics. Any other one na nonsense wannabe

You are very wrong madam! A degree in Software Engineering is higher than a degree in Computer Science. FYI Software Engineers are the ones that writes applications for mission critical, lift critical and business critical systems, like spaceships, rockets, life support machines, core banking applications ect. Have you heard of Software Engineering Mathematics before?
A Software Engineering grad can also be called a Computer Scientist as they have covered core Computer Science moduls at uni.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:

You are very wrong madam! A degree in Software Engineering is higher than a degree in Computer Science. FYI Software Engineers are the ones that writes applications for mission critical, lift critical and business critical systems, like spaceships, rockets, life support machines, core banking applications ect. Have you heard of Software Engineering Mathematics before?
A Software Engineering grad can also be called a Computer Scientist as they have covered core Computer Science moduls at uni.
Oga abeg, i don't have time to begin to argue all these gibberish and fallacy you wrote up there. Spaceships and rockets? like elon musk will hire you, an ordinary Software Engineer, to come and write programs that'll fly his Starship or falcon heavy rockets? Lolzz. If i even ask the werey what Fast Fourier transform is, I'm sure you must ask Google because I'm not sure you've ever heard of that term in your life. Mission critical indeed. Oga abeg go and sleep, we all know the truth but you just don't want to admit it..

Once again, if it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Mathematics , it's just a nonsense wannabe, period.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by JsScript: 9:06pm On Nov 06, 2023
MindHacker9009:
What Can a CS degree holder program that a self-taught cannot do?

For you to compete, you have to know what a CS degree holder knows, all by yourself, you just have to be damn brainy.
And If you can't learn by yourself, then go get a degree
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:39pm On Nov 06, 2023
turmacs:
Oga abeg, i don't have time to begin to argue all these gibberish and fallacy you wrote up there. Spaceships and rockets? like elon musk will hire you, an ordinary Software Engineer, to come and write programs that'll fly his Starship or falcon heavy rockets? Lolzz. If i even ask the werey what Fast Fourier transform is, I'm sure you must ask Google because I'm not sure you've ever heard of that term in your life. Mission critical indeed. Oga abeg go and sleep, we all know the truth but you just don't want to admit it..

Once again, if it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Mathematics , it's just a nonsense wannabe, period.

Madam, what you don't understand is that writing software for critical systems like air traffic control requires Software Engineering Mathematics as the software must be fail safe.
The Fast Fourier Transform you mentioned is not rocket science and was not created by a computer scientist, if I have a need to use it within my code I will do research on it and use it and apply Formal Methods as a Software Engineer.

I once had a call from an agency recruiting a developer for an organisation that develops critical systems. What they told me is that they already have an electronics guy that is very good with writing embedded code for their systems but he does not have the skills to present information from the hardware system onto a computer screen for end users and capture data back from the end users and that they are ready to train me in writing embedded code for their systems as I have the skills they are looking for.

New Addition:
Here is just a taste of the Software Engineering Mathematics formulas a Software Engineer uses to guarantee that a critical system is fail safe. I bet you don't have any clue of what's going on in the formulas below:

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by SparkleSix: 11:16pm On Nov 06, 2023
The lady above is actually right.
Don't know what OP is rambling about, Software Engineering is a subset of Computer Science.

How can a son be greater than his father??

Most of Computer algorithms and theories are formulated by Computer Scientists which can now be implemented by the software engineers.

Just like a Dev using ReactJs but doesn't understand the process of Jsx compilation to JavaScript thinking he knows more than the people who wrote and formulated the compiler and compilation processes.

3 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 1:37am On Nov 07, 2023
SparkleSix:
Don't know what OP is rambling about, Software Engineering is a subset of Computer Science.

Most of Computer algorithms and theories are formulated by Computer Scientists which can now be implemented by the software engineers.

Just like a Dev using ReactJs but doesn't understand the process of Jsx compilation to JavaScript thinking he knows more than the people who wrote and formulated the compiler and compilation processes.

It's like Medicine and Surgery. Surgery is a child of Medicine but is the most celebrated and most accomplished Medicine sub-specialty. Same with Software Engineering and CS. CS is mostly theoretical stuff. Speed of an algo, efficiency and effectiveness of a sort algo etc. SE is more concerned with the enterprise application of those concepts

5 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by bassdow: 6:12pm On Nov 07, 2023
SparkleSix:

just the word "Science" alone is enough to settle the argument.

me was about 30% selfTaught before I attended university, graduated and continued my selfTaughting.

in a foreign chatroom, someone once said SelfTaught vs Graduate is reason Yahoo kept getting hacked
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:43pm On Nov 07, 2023
bassdow:

just the word "Science" alone is enough to settle the argument.

me was about 30% selfTaught before I attended university, graduated and continued my selfTaughting.

in a foreign chatroom, someone once said SelfTaught vs Graduate is reason Yahoo kept getting hacked

Just the word Engineering holds more value than computer science. Here in the western world Computer Science graduates like to call themselves Software Engineers as this is more prestigious.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 2:07am On Nov 08, 2023
MindHacker9009:

Just the word Engineering holds more value than computer science. Here in the western world Computer Science graduates like to call themselves Software Engineers as this is more prestigious.
grin You're just trying so hard to make yourself feel good about the fact that you wasted 3 years studying a wannabe course 😝 Even if the word Engineering held more value than Computer Science, that would have been Computer Engineering, not that nonsense you Studied. Once again bro, if it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Mathematics ,It's just a nonsense wannabe, period. I just laughed when i saw that picture you posted, so that is the "special" software engineering maths you say they teach you guys? 😹 Lolzz, Discrete maths i did in 200L 1st semester is what you're calling "Software Engineering maths" 😹 My boy, abeg rest abeg, there is no where on earth you can work with that your wannabe degree that a CS,CE, or Maths graduate can't work, but there are place where we can work that you can't even try to submit job applications, rest oga abeg, rest😹

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:06am On Nov 08, 2023
turmacs:
grin You're just trying so hard to make yourself feel good about the fact that you wasted 3 years studying a wannabe course 😝 Even if the word Engineering held more value than Computer Science, that would have been Computer Engineering, not that nonsense you Studied. Once again bro, if it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Mathematics ,It's just a nonsense wannabe, period. I just laughed when i saw that picture you posted, so that is the "special" software engineering maths you say they teach you guys? 😹 Lolzz, Discrete maths i did in 200L 1st semester is what you're calling "Software Engineering maths" 😹 My boy, abeg rest abeg, there is no where on earth you can work with that your wannabe degree that a CS,CE, or Maths graduate can't work, but there are place where we can work that you can't even try to submit job applications, rest oga abeg, rest😹

Madam, yeah you did district maths in 200L but it's all a waste for you, as the koko is how to use it in Formal Methods in Software Engineering and apply it to mission, life and business critical end to end commercial software application development to deliver commercial applications that are fail safe to use in the real world.

A Software Engineer can quickly find, understand and refine an existing algorithm and use in building real-world commercial stuff in the best possible time and within a reasonable budget, but a Computer Scientist will be more concerned about rewriting an algorithm from scratch which will take longer and might not even work and without considering the economic effect it will have on the organisation.
[This is roughly the same as it would be if you assigned a physics Ph.D. to design electrical equipment for commercial sale. The physicist will understand the electrical principles better than the engineers he is working with. But his experience in building equipment is in creating prototypes that are used to advance the state of knowledge in a laboratory. He does not have experience or training in designing rugged, economical equipment that provides practical solutions in real-world settings. We would expect the equipment designed by the physics Ph.D. to work, but perhaps to lack some of the robustness that would make it usable or safe outside a laboratory. Or the equipment might use materials in a way that’s acceptable for a single prototype but extravagantly wasteful when units are manufactured by the thousands.]
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2023
MindHacker9009:

Madam, yeah you did district maths in 200L but it's all a waste for you, as the koko is how to use it in Formal Methods in Software Engineering and apply it to mission, life and business critical end to end commercial software application development to deliver commercial applications that are fail safe to use in the real world.

A Software Engineer can quickly find, understand and refine an existing algorithm and use in building real-world commercial stuff in the best possible time and within a reasonable budget, but a Computer Scientist will be more concerned about rewriting an algorithm from scratch which will take longer and might not even work and without considering the economic effect it will have on the organisation.
[This is roughly the same as it would be if you assigned a physics Ph.D. to design electrical equipment for commercial sale. The physicist will understand the electrical principles better than the engineers he is working with. But his experience in building equipment is in creating prototypes that are used to advance the state of knowledge in a laboratory. He does not have experience or training in designing rugged, economical equipment that provides practical solutions in real-world settings. We would expect the equipment designed by the physics Ph.D. to work, but perhaps to lack some of the robustness that would make it usable or safe outside a laboratory. Or the equipment might use materials in a way that’s acceptable for a single prototype but extravagantly wasteful when units are manufactured by the thousands.]
Oga it's not district Maths, it's discrete Maths 😹 And moreover i wouldn't waste my energy arguing with you,. because you're not worth it. You don't even know what you Studied 😹 This is the last time I'll reply you because all these gibberish you just typed is nonsense. Once again my guy, If it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics , my brother it's just a nonsense wannabe, period.

Go back to school and get a proper Computer Science degree

turmacs out

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:44am On Nov 08, 2023
turmacs:
Oga it's not district Maths, it's discrete Maths 😹 And moreover i wouldn't waste my energy arguing with you,. because you're not worth it. You don't even know what you Studied 😹 This is the last time I'll reply you because all these gibberish you just typed is nonsense. Once again my guy, If it's not Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics , my brother it's just a nonsense wannabe, period.

Go back to school and get a proper Computer Science degree
turmacs out

Okay madam turmacs, you can run away with your 200L district maths cheesy. Until you can apply it in Formal Methods in Software Engineering before I can approve your 200L district maths as discrete maths.

If you want to become a qualified Software Engineer writing robust commercial applications then you need to go back and get a degree in Software Engineering. Unless you want to be writing prototype applications for use in the lab which are not for commercial use.

A Software Engineering degree with Formal Methods is KING.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by dopedan(m): 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2023
Is it too late to learn programming
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by RepoMan007: 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2023
turmacs:
SMH !
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Najdorf: 7:03pm On Nov 08, 2023
MindHacker9009:

You have a small minded view of computer science.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHP Help: Problem With Database Output Display / Business Analytics Training In Lagos / Looking For Sql/php Assignment Helper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.