Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,335 members, 7,829,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? (1258 Views)

Can One Combine Learning Programming With Schooling For A CS Degree? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by turmacs(f): 7:22pm On Nov 08, 2023
Najdorf:

You have a small minded view of computer science.
small minded view kehh? The guy doesn't just have sense, or should i say he intentionally refuses to have sense 😹
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by DDIA: 5:02pm On Nov 09, 2023
turmacs:
when did calling someone a mumu become an insult? All these self taught people sef
I bet you can only program your vagina. grin
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by DDIA: 5:09pm On Nov 09, 2023
dopedan:
Is it too late to learn programming
No just sleep with turmacs and you will be a pro.

Trust me. cool
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by DDIA: 5:12pm On Nov 09, 2023
gardenofeden900:

The bot will not allow me to post sample code here. So I have to come back with this moniker for now.

Okay let me show you that you are the one that does not have up to 1% of my sense cheesy. Here is a challenging real world commercial application I had to work on and as a top notch Software Engineer I was able to come up with my own technique using C# to solve it in 29 seconds and now I feel I should even patent my sense cheesy.

Let me know it you want to attempt the same challenge. You can use the Fast Fourier transform (FFT) you mentioned before if it can save you and lets see who can do it fastest.

1. Read 4,030,382 lines of length-delimited substrings from 9 text files in total on a hard disk into memory, you can simulate this in memory.

2. Loop through each line splitting the substrings by the length-delimiter specified and adding a date stamp to each line as in the screenshot below while adding each line to and object in memory.

If you can do it faster then I know you are a Computer Scientist but if not then I will have to lecture you to become a real Software Engineer cheesy.

Abeg leave her and her 4 year C.S degree I am sure she got from a mushroom university here. grin
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 09, 2023
DDIA:

Abeg leave her and her 4 year C.S degree I am sure she got from a mushroom university here. grin

Don't mind her, she thinks computer science starts and ends at the mushroom university she went to cheesy
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Najdorf: 5:50am On Nov 10, 2023
DDIA:

I bet you can only program your vagina. grin
So you went to create a new account to say BS. You need help.

This whole programming section is a joke.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 7:39am On Nov 10, 2023
Najdorf:

You have a microscopic minded view of Software Engineering.
The true role of a Computer Scientist is in a computer lab creating prototype algorithms which are not yet fit for industrial use until a Software Engineer has fine tuned them before they are fit for industrial use.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Bedwetter: 8:21am On Nov 10, 2023
dopedan:
Is it too late to learn programming

Depends on how old you're

If you're 30+ it's over for you
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by dopedan(m): 8:22am On Nov 10, 2023
Bedwetter:

Im 24
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Najdorf: 8:28am On Nov 10, 2023
MindHacker9009:

You have a microscopic minded view of Software Engineering.
The true role of a Computer Scientist is in a computer lab creating prototype algorithms which are not yet fit for industrial use until a Software Engineer has fine tuned them before they are fit for industrial use.
Run along kid. Dey there dey carry Software Engineer for head. No one in the real world gives a shit about all this.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 9:56am On Nov 10, 2023
Najdorf:

Run along kid. Dey there dey carry Software Engineer for head. No one in the real world gives a shit about all this.

It's you who is a kid. The truth is that the world does care about it and I was only giving you useful information about the true role of a Computer Scientist.
A Software Engineer with a degree in Software Engineering is not self-taught, but has a solid understanding and knowledge of both Software Engineering and Computer Science and to also write robust software for industrial use.

This thread is not Computer Scientist vs Software Engineering but to show what a Computer Scientist can do that a Self-Taught cannot do which a lot of people who are not Computer Scientist are not aware of if not why then are all employers not saying they only want a degree in Computer Science.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 10:38am On Nov 10, 2023
Najdorf:

Such posts are very bad and why have the mods not removed them? They are still visible if you are not logged in.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by DDIA: 11:53am On Nov 10, 2023
Najdorf:

Who the Bleep are you?
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Codevalley: 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2023
MindHacker9009:

It's you who is a kid. The truth is that the world does care about it and I was only giving you useful information about the true role of a Computer Scientist.
A Software Engineer with a degree in Software Engineering is not self-taught, but has a solid understanding and knowledge of both Software Engineering and Computer Science and to also write robust software for industrial use.

This thread is not Computer Scientist vs Software Engineering but to show what a Computer Scientist can do that a Self-Taught cannot do which a lot of people who are not Computer Scientist are not aware of if not why then are all employers not saying they only want a degree in Computer Science.

But most tech jobs actually demand you having degree in CS .Infact even in Software Engineering role,CE degree is still preferable to SE.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by MindHacker9009(m): 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2023
Codevalley:

But most tech jobs actually demand you having degree in CS .Infact even in Software Engineering role,CE degree is still preferable to SE.

A CE degree is really suitable for the computer manufacturing sector that requires embedded hardware programming, computer hardware repair engineer or IT hardware support engineer. A CE degree is transferable into Software Engineering but a Software Engineer has already been prepared and trained at University to develop custom software application for all commercial sectors.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 10:29am On Dec 18, 2023
Najdorf:

Is this the same computer science degree that's theory theory and after graduation you won't know any tangible thing?

Tell me one thing you can do very well with a CS degree, What software or app you can create from start to finish after this degree.

It's not even about Nigeria thing, a friend studied CS in China still I didn't see much of difference only that more practical base projects were engaged which still couldn't fully prepare him to take on any major IT role.

What IT role can you apply for and pass through all the rigorous interview stages only with the knowledge you acquired in the University?

Your degree is only an added advantage when it comes to the practical world it's not enough to push you through.

It's a known fact that CS degree will be useless to you if you don't later go the path of self learning. I studied IT and in my UNI the courses that was not common to both degree wasn't more than 4 so please just stop this hype.

If truly you're a CS graduate tell me how you felt after graduation. Did you feel the degree had really prepared you well enough to enter the IT world?

All those courses we studied are available freely online. Anyone can just download and finish everything in just a year. The only difference is we earned a degree (title) to show for it.

For example anyone can go to Nation Open Universities site and download all their CS course materials and study them on his/her own.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
Codevalley:

Those jobs demanding a CS degree will equally accept SE,CE,IT and in some cases mathematics degree.

Some company will list it as a CS degree, IT,... and related courses. What they actually need is a basic computer science knowledge, if you like give them a first class degree they'll still slap you with a rigorous interview in the particular role they want to employ you for.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 4:59pm On Dec 18, 2023
Bedwetter:

People over 30 cannot learn programming?
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by BRATISLAVA: 5:05pm On Dec 18, 2023
airsaylongcome:

People over 30 cannot learn programming?

Lol.

Once one is 30+ it's over for them. Said like it's an immutable law of the universe. Likely said by someone in their early twenties, or even teens.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 5:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

Lol.

Once one is 30+ it's over for them. Said like it's an immutable law of the universe. Likely said by someone in their early twenties, or even teens.

I'm miffed. like what did I just read? When people can start studying medicine at 35 and still be very successful it's now ordinary programming. These young guns though

2 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 10:32am On Dec 21, 2023
RepoMan007:
What can a surgeon do that a quack cannot do?
stop this, a CS degree holder cannot program anything.

What is being thought in the college is different from what is required on the field.

A CS degree holder still needs to update, upgrade and even needs to still go the path of self education before he or she can be good in any of the IT skills.

So don't compare CS with medical courses that are paractical based. If you don't invest in yourself or acquire skills on your own, as a CS graduate you may not even know how to operate a computer.
Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 4:22pm On Dec 21, 2023
Xpol:
stop this, a CS degree holder cannot program anything.

What is being thought in the college is different from what is required on the field.

A CS degree holder still needs to update, upgrade and even needs to still go the path of self education before he or she can be good in any of the IT skills.

So don't compare CS with medical courses that are paractical based. If you don't invest in yourself or acquire skills on your own, as a CS graduate you may not even know how to operate a computer.

What computer science degree are we talking about here? A university Bachelors degree from a proper university? With introduction to programming 1, 2 and Data Structures? Or are we talking some other program?

And medical degrees are practical based? Anatomy alone is a made course in theory. And at what year do medical students start getting clinical experience?

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

What computer science degree are we talking about here? A university Bachelors degree from a proper university? With introduction to programming 1, 2 and Data Structures? Or are we talking some other program?

And medical degrees are practical based? Anatomy alone is a made course in theory. And at what year do medical students start getting clinical experience?
in every sense of it you can't compare a degree in medicine with CS.

When you graduate as a medical doctor you're job ready and all what you need to be a qualified medical doctor have been acquired though you gain more experience as you practice.

In the anatomy you're talking about you are still given the opportunity to practice the theory in the clinic.

After graduation you can easily pass any job interview and be employed.

As a graduate of computer science (solely based on what you're taught in the school) try and apply for any role in in all these numerous adverts on indeed, LinkedIn, etc.

After your first three interviews nobody will advise you before you'll be typing" how to learn web development", what is the easiest language to learn" in Google search. lol

When you get to 400l level all those introduction to programming, to Java,to pasca etc that you've learn in 100-200l are already gone. Intro to operating system, kernel and the rest you won't even remember most of them coz you're loaded with more loads and you're also struggling with project and how to graduate.

During exam you're more concerned about how to pass each course.whether cramming or any means.... Just to pass.

After preparing for your 400l exam if the lecturer decide to set the questions from 200l many students will fail so tell me how what you learn in the uni will land you let say a developer role after graduation.you can't even pass the rigorous interview.

A CS degree is only an advantage but not what you need to enter the IT world. you won't be able to code in most of the languages you'll be thought.

Lol is it these languages you can't even master in a year that you want to learn in a semester or two semesters?

When you try to clear people on this issue some will say you're pained bcoz you didn't go to school. I studied Information Technology and only 4 core courses were not common to both departments during our time.

I'm not try to say a SC degree is useless but not enough as you guys are painting it to look like it's the alpha and Omega in the IT world.

If you don't learn and master a skill a SC degree may become useless or maybe you can be employed in cyber Cafe.

Again that introduction to programming 1,2,3 you're talking about is there open and free online, plus data structures.

Wait which data structures are you even bragging of. Is it the same one you're taught and can't even pass a DSA interview?

If you're a programmer and also have a SC degree. Answer this question with honesty:

How did you learn programming?

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 6:00pm On Dec 21, 2023
Xpol:
in every sense of it you can't compare a degree in medicine with CS.

When you graduate as a medical doctor you're job ready and all what you need to be a qualified medical doctor have been acquired though you gain more experience as you practice.

In the anatomy you're talking about you are still given the opportunity to practice the theory in the clinic.

After graduation you can easily pass any job interview and be employed.

As a graduate of computer science (solely based on what you're taught in the school) try and apply for any role in in all these numerous adverts on indeed, LinkedIn, etc.

After your first three interviews nobody will advise you before you'll be typing" how to learn web development", what is the easiest language to learn" in Google search. lol

When you get to 400l level all those introduction to programming, to Java,to pasca etc that you've learn in 100-200l are already gone. Intro to operating system, kernel and the rest you won't even remember most of them coz you're loaded with more loads and you're also struggling with project and how to graduate.

During exam you're more concerned about how to pass each course.whether cramming or any means.... Just to pass.

After preparing for your 400l exam if the lecturer decide to set the questions from 200l many students will fail so tell me how what you learn in the uni will land you let say a developer role after graduation.you can't even pass the rigorous interview.

A CS degree is only an advantage but not what you need to enter the IT world. you won't be able to code in most of the languages you'll be thought.

Lol is it these languages you can't even master in a year that you want to learn in a semester or two semesters?

When you try to clear people on this issue some will say you're pained bcoz you didn't go to school. I studied Information Technology and only 4 core courses were not common to both departments during our time.

I'm not try to say a SC degree is useless but not enough as you guys are painting it to look like it's the alpha and Omega in the IT world.

If you don't learn and master a skill a SC degree may become useless or maybe you can be employed in cyber Cafe.

Again that introduction to programming 1,2,3 you're talking about is there open and free online, plus data structures.

Wait which data structures are you even bragging of. Is it the same one you're taught and can't even pass a DSA interview?

If you're a programmer and also have a SC degree. Answer this question with honesty:

How did you learn programming?

So I'm not going to dive in too deep countering your points. But know this, that NO MEDICAL student that graduates in Nigeria, is ready to become a Doctor. They have to do house job aka internship before they can even get a license to practice.

2 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 6:40pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

So I'm not going to dive in too deep countering your points. But know this, that NO MEDICAL student that graduates in Nigeria, is ready to become a Doctor. They have to do house job aka internship before they can even get a license to practice.
yes you're right on housemanship, which is supposed to be done under close monitoring by senior doctors but that's not always the case, they're mostly left on their own. I worked in a general hospital for almost a year not as medical staff though, those senior doctors hardly have time for supervision so I can tell you they're performing full medical duties during that one year except surgery.

At first it's only evaluation, they'll go round asking the patients questions and keep records but before you know it they start giving injection and even prescription.

How fast they begin the full functions depends on individual knowledge which is not always the same with individuals but same is not applicable to a SC graduate those intro to programming, OS, kernel, DSA, OS programming, etc we're being taught are different from what we meet in the field.

Some of those lecturers don't even know what they are teaching.

Notwithstanding, as a CS graduate, learning programming may be easier easier than someone from unrelated discipline.I remember I found "Sequel" very easy to learn then after dealing with it on two different courses.same thing applicable to some other areas.

In Ondo state during election petition tribunal between Mimiko and Agagu, a lecturer who's a professor of computer science was one of Agagu's witness. When prosecution counsel was cross examining baba he couldn't operate a computer at first they taught it was impersonation.

Most of these lecturers cannot turn their code into program not to talk of their students.

Some cannot even right anything unless they are reading already prepared one.

If you're a CS graduate you'll agree with most if not all what I've said.

Many SC graduates do come to the programming section seeking advice from where to start from, what language to learn etc. I remember a guy that said he studied in maybe Hong Kong I can't remember the exact place in Asia he said his school was one of the best in that country😂

I doubt that the people telling him how and where to start even have a diploma in CS.

A degree in CS,SE,CE,IT won't give you fluency in any programming language if you don't 'self learn", most especially in Nigeria. even the lecturer taking you C++ may not be fluent in it.

Let me rest my long epistle here. Peace.

1 Like

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by airsaylongcome: 6:50pm On Dec 21, 2023
Xpol:
yes you're right on housemanship, which is supposed to be done under close monitoring by senior doctors but that's not always the case, they're mostly left on their own. I worked in a general hospital for almost a year not as medical staff though, those senior doctors hardly have time for supervision so I can tell you they're performing full medical duties during that one year except surgery.

At first it's only evaluation, they'll go round asking the patients questions and keep records but before you know it they start giving injection and even prescription.

How fast they begin the full functions depends on individual knowledge which is not always the same but same is not applicable to a SC graduate those intro to programming, OS, kernel, DSA, OS programming, etc we're being taught are different from what we meet in the field.

Some of those lecturers don't even know what they are teaching.

In Ondo state during election petition tribunal between Mimiko and Agagu, a lecturer who's a professor of computer science was one of Agagu's witness. When prosecution counsel was cross examining baba he couldn't operate a computer at first they taught it was impersonation.

Most of these lecturers cannot turn their code to program not to talk of their students.

Some cannot even right anything unless they are reading already prepared one.

You seem to assume that a degree in Computing aims to make someone a programmer. Which is very far from the truth. It's like expecting an MBBS grad to be a surgeon. Programming is a sub-specialty in CS

3 Likes

Re: What Can A CS Degree Holder Program that a self-taught cannot do? by Xpol: 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

You seem to assume that a degree in Computing aims to dlmale someone a programmer. Which is very far from the truth. It's like expecting an MBBS grad to be a surgeon. Programming is a sub-specialty in CS
I know this very well and that's why sometimes I do use any role.

No role or area the degree fully prepare you for. Same with the other person trying to hype his/her SE degree. as it is with other disciplines a programmer is one of so many of what you can become. The degree only gives you basic knowledge you have to build on else it won't be useful coz it doesn't fully prepare you neither does it give you what you need to enter the job market. So why are people hyping it as if it's the alpha and Omega. It only an advantage because of the basic knowledge of computer which other related courses also give.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eftpos From Verifone / Java Mobile App To Fill And Submit Forms To A Database / 80,000 NAIRA CHALLENGE/CONTEST TO MAKE NAIRALAND SAFER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.