Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: (25608 Views)

Study In France - Process And Enquiries Thread / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Begging Attitude: White Man Married To Nigerian Lady Vows Never To Visit Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by pweeryambre: 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
drmikeadams:
grin grin I hardly come outside, people go still dey complain.. married woman dey ask me why I no dey like come outside... the other day she ask me if I get female visitorgrin na her toto go hear am when I get her time grin
Thinking about toto when someone is just being nice to you...

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Incognito9: 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nwaotu10:
My kind of life actually.

God, abeg, send me abroad!!!

Aswear 😂

So far food, game and football go dey available, that's a sweet life 😍

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by drmikeadams(m): 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
pweeryambre:

Thinking about toto when someone is just being nice to you... What a shallow way of thinking.

grin am not asking for her niceness... whether I choose to come outside or stay indoors no be any body business grin whether shallow or deep way of thinking grin the toto go hear am when I get the time grin

Make I survive this year finish

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by IjebuWarrior: 2:16pm On Nov 14, 2023
cool
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by nedekid: 2:17pm On Nov 14, 2023
True talk. You never know the value of company, until you lose it.
Year 2000, I stayed in lewisham with my then woman. Omo, the kind of lifestyle was a shock to me. See, her next door flat, sharing the same staircase, just a stretch of hand away were fellow Nigerians. 2 Yoruba ladies just as my babe. They had been living there for over 1 year. The shock was that they never spoke, were not friends, did not even know their names! Howww This were fellow nigerians ohh, now imagine oyinbo. The thing shock me. My woman will wake up under the cold by 4.30am, bath and dress up, within 10min, enter the cold in darkness, de walka fast like soldier. Me I go go window de look am. Babe that in naija will spend 1hr to bath and dress up. She will then come back home late, then move next morning again, no social life.
Anyway, they said back then people dont make friends because you do not know who will squeal on you that you do not have papers.
Guess it is better now though.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Aposteli1(m): 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2023
This is where the uniqueness of the African culture comes to play. We shouldn't allow the inferiority complex to see ourselves as inferior to them in all our ways. Because, we are all gifted and unique in our different ways. There's no perfect culture anywhere in the World. So, Africans must start presenting their cultures to the World for the World to see the reason why they must adopt some parts of African's culture.
One Love.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by motionarena: 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2023
Darevofpeace:

"My supervisor is in his early 60s, so it was super hard for me to start calling him by his name every time. This man is old enough to be my grandfather and he wants me to call him his first name. I’m getting more familiar with it, though.

One of the things I don’t like about being abroad is the fact that everybody minds their business. It is a double-edged sword. In Nigeria, you don’t like people being in your business, but sometimes, you actually need it.

Last year, I was sick. I had an emergency operation so I couldn’t go to work for about a week. I was in my house and the next thing, I was in the hospital, so I couldn’t inform anybody. Not a single person called or texted me. Not one. Not even the HR person.

I left a cup of coffee on my desk the day before the incident and when I came back one week after, I met it right there with mold in it. Sometimes, it gets really annoying in Nigeria when people put their noses in your business, but I’d rather have that than have nobody care at all.

I always like to say that if I died in my apartment, nobody would know until my body started smelling because even my rent would automatically pay itself from my account and the landlord wouldn’t care to check on me."

~ Source: Zikoko

Maybe your colleagues did not like u
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Fairview1: 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2023
Depriest2020:

You must be from southern Nigeria who believes their women must be in their thirties and their men in their forties before they start preparing for marriage. Please here in the north people in their forties are already grand parents, so don't be surprised someone said a person in their sixties should be her grandparents. My mum became a great grandma in her sixties.

Clap for yourself!

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by motionarena: 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2023
Depriest2020:

You must be from southern Nigeria who believes their women must be in their thirties and their men in their forties before they start preparing for marriage. Please here in the north people in their forties are already grand parents, so don't be surprised someone said a person in their sixties should be her grandparents. My mum became a great grandma in her sixties.

Maybe girls from your tribe.
Start 4ucking at a very early age

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by henrimoto(m): 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
Depriest2020:

..This is another kind of cultural Shock between NORTHERN NIGERIA & SOUTHERN NIGERIA.

Southerners who had been in the North will understand the Above pictures.

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Bigchristo: 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
UncleKoboko:

IT'S NOT TRUE THAT LECTURERS AND PEOPLE IN PLACE OF AUTHORITY DON'T LIKE RESPECT ABROAD.

IN FACT, THEY HATE BEING CALLED BY THEIR FIRST NAMES
If you have actually traveled or live in abroad you will know exactly what the person said, they call everyone by their first name that’s the reasons you where given the name, even your own kids will call you by your first name the orientation is different In Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Kobojunkie: 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
Darevofpeace:
"My supervisor is in his early 60s, so it was super hard for me to start calling him by his name every time. This man is old enough to be my grandfather and he wants me to call him his first name. I’m getting more familiar with it, though.
One of the things I don’t like about being abroad is the fact that everybody minds their business. It is a double-edged sword. In Nigeria, you don’t like people being in your business, but sometimes, you actually need it.
Last year, I was sick. I had an emergency operation so I couldn’t go to work for about a week. I was in my house and the next thing, I was in the hospital, so I couldn’t inform anybody. Not a single person called or texted me. Not one. Not even the HR person.
I left a cup of coffee on my desk the day before the incident and when I came back one week after, I met it right there with mold in it. Sometimes, it gets really annoying in Nigeria when people put their noses in your business, but I’d rather have that than have nobody care at all.
I always like to say that if I died in my apartment, nobody would know until my body started smelling because even my rent would automatically pay itself from my account and the landlord wouldn’t care to check on me."
Rubbish! undecided

Such places allow you to create for yourself your own culture. If you want to have people checking up on you every second of the day the make it happen for yourself. If you are like others who would rather die alone, that is also available as a choice. undecided
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by YoshihideSuga: 2:43pm On Nov 14, 2023
nysc:
Your story is not complete. Regular French citizens have friends. When regular French workplace colleagues are sick, they are visited by their co-workers. People in the west are not as anti-social as you portray. The issue is that you have not yet fully integrated in the new environment you have found yourself. Be more friendly and people will care about you wherever you find yourself.

She probably doesn't speak French. Double wahala for dead body. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2023
nysc:
Your story is not complete. Regular French citizens have friends. When regular French workplace colleagues are sick, they are visited by their co-workers. People in the west are not as anti-social as you portray. The issue is that you have not yet fully integrated in the new environment you have found yourself. Be more friendly and people will care about you wherever you find yourself.
She has yet to figure out that she has to be proactive in creating the kind of culture she wants , and not wait around to have it forced on her by others. undecided
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Emmaomotob(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Low self esteem is bad.

Those of you suffering from inferiority complex and long history of chronic years of generation to generation poverty background that is so pathological that you think these toilet-stealing countries are "saner clime " and their citizens are better than you should read this.

Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan (1660) expressed his views that "Man's life was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." Hobbes inferred that people are naturally selfish and wicked and cannot be trusted. Therefore the primitive or "natural" state of humanity is violent and brutal.

What the lady is experiencing is not culture shock but retrogression and what Thomas Hobbes described as the primitive "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short" life of an uncivilized man. They will soon be dying out before they reset and now reverse the trend.

Our society is more developed and civilised than their own but those from here or over there who are from very poor inferiority complex background and with poor education won't be able to understand.

Any country where anyone would not look out for the other is destroying the same foundation that built their society. Go and read about sociological perspectives, what is happening in french society is unusual and it's borne out of fear from a sociologically primitive uncivilized society. They are too scared stiff to care and reach out to support one another. They are solitary , btutish and primitive.

Human beings, civilised human beings that belong to civilised societies like ours, are a social creatures, we are not like Leopards or cheetahs that only come together when it's time for sex like the way these prehistoric people are behaving. Check my signature for free stuffs!
Rubbish. Your society more developed? How? You must be very ignorant if you think people care about you in Nigeria. You sound like someone that only watches the developed countries in books. Because people poke their noses into your personal business does not mean that they are willing to help you. Read the story of Porcupines by Schopenhauer. If man is naturally wicked and brutish, it is necessary that each person keeps a healthy distance from the other. Love is superfluous and often dangerous. What's most important is duty. If everyone does their job, the world would be fine. As for meeting to have sex as leopards, that is up for debate as it is foolish (could be lucky) to think a stranger loves you and wants a family. I don't see any other use in women (in relationships) aside sex and I have pondered over and over again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by pinkguy(m): 2:47pm On Nov 14, 2023
Depriest2020:

what are the benefits you guys got from suchlike ,apart from having Ten million almagiri beggers

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Probz(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2023
humberjade:
That's why it is not good to live a solo life, always have someone who reaches out as often as possible. Living a solo life is okay, but you but not totally safe and healthy.

No one is an Island, we need others from time to time.

No-one’s an island but no-one has two heads. There’s only one you. If you can’t be truly comfortable with yourself, who are you going to rightfully be comfortable with? Why are so many extraverts allergic to a little of their own company and incapable of doing anything alone for 5 minutes?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Artscollection: 2:54pm On Nov 14, 2023
For your mind they mind their business when i cant cook ordinary stockfish without my door bell ringing.
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Probz(m): 2:55pm On Nov 14, 2023
nysc:

There we are.
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by judecares1(m): 2:55pm On Nov 14, 2023
My friend i will advise you to immediately delete your naija mentality and start calling him by either his first name or last name? Our culture demand us to always address someone with Sir/Ma but in the western world reverse is the case.
Nobody actually cares about you and it depends on your relationship with your team members, do your job and if anyone offers to have coffee with you never agree on the spot rather you propose your free time. Try also to mingle with Nigerians since France has lots of blacks

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Advancedman(m): 2:59pm On Nov 14, 2023
Darevofpeace:

That is my biggest desire, business minding is different from care and check on closed ones that depend on what and how you program your circle.
The office mug is a different tale entirely so your absence is not noticed or felt by your organization, what's your designation pls?
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Cutehector(m): 3:00pm On Nov 14, 2023
YourGFsnatcher:
Shey people want to be left alone?
That's why I laugh when celebrities do stupid things and people complain and they say people should leave them alone its their life.

But when they are sick, they turn to the same people pasting their account number begging the same people they that irritated them when all was good.

You can't eat your cake and have it.
gbam

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Probz(m): 3:05pm On Nov 14, 2023
Advancedman:

That is my biggest desire, business minding is different from care and check on closed ones that depend on what and how you program your circle.
The office mug is a different tale entirely so your absence is not noticed or felt by your organization, what's your designation pls?

Not to minimise the importance of good social networks but there’s some opportunity for integration everywhere in the world. You need a good support network (cultural, otherwise or both) you can rely on but you can’t really rightfully complain about being lonely when you’re not putting yourself out there with people and making those additional connections if you need to.

“But it’s so cold.”

And Nigeria’s so hot. The problem with this new generation of Nigerian immigrants is expecting the whole world to revolve around Nigeria, like it’s the only country on planet Earth. All these U.K. Insta. vloggers complaining about everything are just painful in their entitled freshness. It’s a new flavour of expecting the whole world to accommodate for them specifically and it’s embarrassing to see. Being an ignorant, entitled freshie who can’t adapt anywhere outside their region in Nigeria isn’t a flex. It’s embarrassing and it’s annoying.

“Nowhere to change Naira in this shop.”

It’s Tesco, for God’s sake. Go to Western Union if you need to change money. You wouldn’t go to Shoprite expecting to convert Naira to Canadian dollars or Dubai currency.

This generation of freshies can be so senseless. Yes, those initial adaptation struggles are an issue for everyone in somewhere new and always have been but most of the Nigerians who have emigrated since last year seem to be of a much more inherently unadaptable ilk to the ones from before then and a world away from the original Nigerian communities. Igbo communities in places like Liverpool and Scotland (for example) faced so much racism in the ’30s, ’40s, ’50s, ’60s and ’70s especially but they just got on with life and formed authentic, tight-knit cultural communities and unions while also knowing where they were. Yorubas fused and integrated with the local Brazilians when that transatlantic business was going on and likewise with Igbos and Ibibios in Jamaica and the southern U.S. (like Virginia especially). They themselves didn’t lose their sense of cultural identity (on the contrary) but they left a viable imprint and adapted. These latest freshies ain’t seen nothing and they need to shut up. They’re not adapted to a life outside their narrow confines.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Kobicove(m): 3:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
LegallyObliged:
Nigerians are extremely nosey, always in somebody's business other than their own. If they are not looking over your shoulders into your phone, theyre standing so close to you that you would think they were trying to melt into you.

grin
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Adakintroy: 3:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Low self esteem is bad.

Those of you suffering from inferiority complex and long history of chronic years of generation to generation poverty background that is so pathological that you think these toilet-stealing countries are "saner clime " and their citizens are better than you should read this.

Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan (1660) expressed his views that "Man's life was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." Hobbes inferred that people are naturally selfish and wicked and cannot be trusted. Therefore the primitive or "natural" state of humanity is violent and brutal.

What the lady is experiencing is not culture shock but retrogression and what Thomas Hobbes described as the primitive "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short" life of an uncivilized man. They will soon be dying out before they reset and now reverse the trend.

Our society is more developed and civilised than their own but those from here or over there who are from very poor inferiority complex background and with poor education won't be able to understand.

Any country where anyone would not look out for the other is destroying the same foundation that built their society. Go and read about sociological perspectives, what is happening in french society is unusual and it's borne out of fear from a sociologically british, violent, primitive uncivilized society. They are too scared stiff to care and reach out to support one another. They are solitary , brutish and primitive. If you are raised there, or raise a family there, you will become same brutish, violent, nasty uncivilized primitive man like them.

Human beings, civilised human beings that belong to civilised societies like ours, are a social creatures, we are not like Leopards or cheetahs that only come together when it's time for sex , and after sex, move apart ike the way these prehistoric people are behaving.

I am Yoruba from Lagos city, the number 1 start up city in Africa. I am a patriotic Nigerian who is profoundly proud of my civilised Yoruba culture, heritage and that my Yoruba forebears did not raise us in this primitive french society way.Check my signature for free stuffs!

You are not proud of your culture. Otherwise you will be writing in it.

You are making analysis of a social concrete event with the speculative templates of Thomas Hobbes And ignorant people are cheering you on by clicking likes. Was the state of nature a real thing Or an imaginary state of human condition that serve as a logical premise for the advancement of social order?

The Lady in question was just highlighting her unique observation in contrast. She was in no way rank ordering them in order of subjective merits. What you doing is laying out your implicit biased with regard. If you had utilise a more better text such of Emile Durkheim. " mechanical vs organic solidarity. ( which is an actual study of homogeneous vs non homogeneous societies) you would have been able to see or educate people about the different social group and their distinct social characteristics without reducing it to biase judgement.

Rural social groups possess social characteristics uniquely different from their modern urban counterparts. It just what it is non is superior or inferior
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by wiseoneking: 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Kerosene children of hate may start shouting "please come back to Nigeria".
This is not necessary, learn to ZIP your ro***ten mouth. Ok

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Kobicove(m): 3:13pm On Nov 14, 2023
Bigchristo:
If you have actually traveled or live in abroad you will know exactly what the person said, they call everyone by their first name that’s the reasons you where given the name, even your own kids will call you by your first name the orientation is different In Nigeria

This does not apply in all cases...there are actually Europeans in positions of authority prefer not being called by their first names!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Bigchristo: 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kobicove:

This does not apply in all cases...there are actually Europeans in positions of authority prefer not being called by their first names!
We aren’t talking about preference here, we are talking about a lay down principles for everyone to follow, some can actually dislike it but that doesn’t mean they have a choice, your children go call the name there’s nothing you can do about it 😂😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by uuzba(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
nedekid:
True talk. .......
Anyway, they said back then people dont make friends because you do not know who will squell on you that you do not have papers.
Guess it is better now though.
It's now you are saying the correct thing.
The fact that you meet black people/Nigerians overseas does not mean you should automatically become friends.
You don't know how that guy travelled there. And people can LIE.
Tomorrow, when police and immigration come to storm the place, and that guy start pointing at you, you won't find it funny.
Do proper visa, Nigerians will not hear.
Go overseas and be using fake/incriminating documents.

2 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Panda7(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
everyone is there to work for his/her money, so make your money there and enjoy it or come back to where culture won't shock you. besides how you leave work for days without any form of permission and company respondent.

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by mercysamuelson(m): 3:20pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nwaotu10

My kind of life actually.

God, abeg, send me abroad!!!

Las-las. That kind life go tire you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Air Peace Tyre Deflates On Take-Off At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall / Senate Committee On Works Inspects Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.