Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 (17035 Views)

Coronavirus: Trump Calls Buhari, Promises To Send Ventilators To Nigeria / Femi Adesina Reacts As Punch Calls Buhari 'Major General' / CNN Calls Buhari And Atiku 'Old Men' Presidential Candidates. Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Kukutente23: 6:20pm On Nov 13, 2023
Acknowledging the importance of the internet he said, “maybe we will have to totally revise our educational system to take in this new monster…”

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has said former President Muhammadu Buhari was an “idiot” for banning the social media app then known as Twitter, now X, in Nigeria.

Soyinka said this in an interview with ARISE News Anchor Ojy Okpe at the CANEX Live Theatre closing ceremony of the 3rd Intra-African Trade Fair (IATF) 2023, convened in Cairo, Egypt by the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank), in collaboration with the African Union and African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).

He argued that the internet and social media space had been infested with foul communications and languages by people of, “lower intelligence, integrity and sense of concern of involvement, regulation of social media should be constructive, methodical and structured.”

The Nigerian government led by Buhari had on June 4, 2021, “indefinitely suspended” Twitter’s operations in the country.

The suspension was announced by then Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, in a statement: “The federal government has suspended, indefinitely, the operations of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in Nigeria.”

The ban lasted for 222 days as it was lifted effective from 12am, January 13, 2022.

When asked if he strongly believes in regulation of the internet, Soyinka said: “Theoretically, if you are going to regulate, who regulates it? How does he go about it? Does regulation begin from education – new education? Do we include teaching from the level of primary schools because even children now speak a language which I don’t understand – internet language?
“Watch them at work there, I’m like an illiterate and I will never compete with that.

“So, maybe we will have to totally revise our educational system to take in this new monster which, however, is a valuable contribution to the entire human enterprise.

“So, while we talk about regulation, I want us to be very careful there. I don’t want some dictator like this last one (immediate former President Muhammadu Buhari who banned Twitter) attempted to do; who woke up and said I’m banning Facebook (Twitter), Idiot!

“You just wake up and say you are banning Facebook, that is nonsense! Do something constructive, methodical, structured about it, including making the criminals understand that they deserve to be somewhere else.”

Soyinka said Nigeria and Africa, in general, may have to totally reverse their educational systems to take in what he described as a new monster.

He stressed that the internet and social media remain valuable contributions to the entire human enterprise.

According to Soyinka: “I see everything of value being debased; values which I grew up with as a child and that includes language, use of appropriate language.

“When I see a space being infested, a communication space infested by the people of lower intelligence, integrity, sense of concern of involvement, then existed in the print media; we should also remember that this internet, there is nothing novel all about it, it is an enhancement of something we have always been doing before.

“It is an enhancement of the print medium and there is a more critical approach to the print medium – the editor sits down, even letters to the editor particularly go through full vetting processes.

“But now you can have any kind of pig from the gutter who simply because he’s got a paw and therefore can put that paw in the dirt, in filth and then imprint it on the nearest space, that is the internet has become.

“Having known better from childhood, all the way through my development, it is an abysmal stage of one’s compelled existence to have to confront things like that.”

The literary icon added: “Something drastic has to be done about it. The publishing enterprise has a huge role to play

https://www.arise.tv/soyinka-calls-buhari-idiot-for-banning-social-media-in-nigeria-in-2021/#google_vignette

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Niceday1(m): 6:24pm On Nov 13, 2023
Cowardly old man, now you have mouth to talk

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Kukutente23: 6:26pm On Nov 13, 2023
There's something about these corny souls 🌽
It's how they are at home with their barefaced group hypocrisy.

Prof Soyinka was well and alive when Buhari was on seat and sending the bird to the gulag. He never uttered a word. The man is out of office in less than six months and you've suddenly found your voice to call him names.

We see this disgusting behaviour among the Zombies who chanted darling daddy and sai baba for 8 years only to repudiate the man like they've never known him once he left office.

This character makes me realise Zombies are not to be taken seriously when it comes to nation building.

What I'm still curious about presently is what exactly drives them? I'm really interested in knowing where they derive their energy and what principles(if any) drives their group interest.

194 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by hisexcellency34: 6:27pm On Nov 13, 2023
Buhari is worse than that

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by RingRoadCartel: 6:29pm On Nov 13, 2023
Kukutente23:

Prof Soyinka was well and alive when Buhari was on seat and sending the bird to the gulag. He never uttered a word. The man is out of office in less than six months and you've suddenly found your voice to call him names.

We see this disgusting behaviour among the Zombies who chanted darling daddy and sai baba for 8 years only to repudiate the man like they've never known him once he left office.

This character makes me realise Zombies are not to be taken seriously when it comes to nation building.

What I'm still curious about presently is what exactly drives them? I'm really interested in knowing where they derive their energy and what principles(if any) drives their group interest.

They did it so that "their brother" can become President.

But the real question is, now that Tinubu is the President, how has the life of the average yoruba man improved? Won't their odds still be the same as that of other tribes? If that's the case, then why vote along tribal/religious lines??

133 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by SoNature(m): 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2023
I don't think anyone needs validation from Prof Sonyinka to know that Bubu na better hidiot!

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by freemanq(m): 7:40pm On Nov 13, 2023
Why you dey talk ham now? You for talk during him tenure make dey give you better beating

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by princepeter566: 8:45pm On Nov 13, 2023
Both of them are idiets

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by emmanuelbrown26: 10:02pm On Nov 13, 2023
Typical yoruba man,

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Greatkenny2: 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2023
This tribe and cowardice... This original gbajue man waited for buhari to leave office before calling him an "idiot".. I remember whoever criticised buhari's administration was called Ipob and Igbo... Now the way and manner most of them insult the previous government now their tribesman is president. Funny lot.

93 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Wisereborn: 12:08am On Nov 14, 2023
I can't believe that this is the once revered Soyinka undecided

Thank God for Tinubu, this man (Soyinka) would have gone to his grave as a great and brave man cheesy grin grin grin

Why didn't he say this during Buhari's regime undecided coward!!!

90 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by princeemmma(m): 9:46am On Nov 14, 2023
this man with grey

always running and hiding

I once thought he his a man of his word and great heart

all i see his a coward, who is hiding for his life

Come and see his house here in Abeokuta, very bushy place, that it will be difficult for someone to know where to locate him

Always dishing stupid comment when he feels things are at peace

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by jmoore(m): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
Soyinka called Patience Jonathan a sheepopotamus. So calling Buhari an idiot is not a surprise. The main point is the issue of hypocrisy exhibited by the professor that invaded a radio station with gun because his candidate did not win. He keeps talking about obedients using foul language when he is the professor of foul languages.

APC/Tinubu supporters clapped for Buhari for the ban. Is he saying that Tinubu supporters are idiots too?

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by blackjah(m): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
he was And Is an Idiot!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
The Gbajue himself

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by mmafhew(m): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
grin
Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by ArmaniUhuru: 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
Both buhari and Soyinka are idiots. Gone are the days when they say old people are wise people.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by AfonjaEkiti: 9:47am On Nov 14, 2023
Yoruba

A very unstable entity

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Jestin: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
Buhari is a certified idiot nah. Nobody can argue that

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Blackfire(m): 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
Is buhari not an idiot ?
Is soyinka not an illiterate?

Then I woke up, and found myself in Nigeria

18 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Freedom4us: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
Buhari was a disaster that u wole soyinka helped come to power.

In fact let's face facts, Northerners are a disaster

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Angrymode: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
An Idiot confirming the status of another known idiot. Nothing else to say here!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
Kukutente23:

When. some people call them. cowards, there's a reason. It's not hatred but it's who they are

38 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by tiswell(m): 9:48am On Nov 14, 2023
Old age is taking its toll on baba

He needs to goan rest in peace

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by christejames(m): 9:50am On Nov 14, 2023
Who has read this book "The Wiseman Aging Foolishly".... undecided

What an interesting read!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Xwizard: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2023
Include the current regime too

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Ttipsy(f): 9:50am On Nov 14, 2023
Proff were u not here wen he bann it ?

What was he then ?

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by RulerIAm(m): 9:50am On Nov 14, 2023
Kukutente23:
Acknowledging the importance of the internet he said, “maybe we will have to totally revise our educational system to take in this new monster…”

https://www.arise.tv/soyinka-calls-buhari-idiot-for-banning-social-media-in-nigeria-in-2021/#google_vignette
Mannabbqgrill Dem don call ur darling daddy IDIOT o. What u gonna do about it?

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka Calls Buhari ‘idiot’ For Banning Social Media In Nigeria In 2021 by Skillsnigeria: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2023
grin hmmm

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo: FG Plans To Buy Locally Assembled Cars / Adeboye Adebayo: No Health Issue Can Stop Tinubu / WAEC Denies Gregory Ibe’s Certificate As He Faces Fresh Legal Hurdles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.