Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 (9934 Views)

How Do The Lagos-kano Train Service Work? / Top 22 Richest People In Nigeria 2011 / Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by sulad82i(m): 2:30pm On Oct 27, 2011
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) would start Lagos-Ilorin passenger train service from tomorrow, a statement from the corporation said.

This signals the completion of track rehabilitation work between Lagos and Jebba by the Chinese contracting firm, China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC).

The statement said the final track inspection was carried out October 21 – 22 for the purpose of ascertaining the level of preparedness and fitness of the tract section for safe running of train.

The inspection was under the leadership of Government Inspector of Railways and engineers from NRC, CCECC, Roughton consultancy and representatives from the Federal Ministry of Transport.

The Lagos – Ilorin Express train service will for the moment serve as the flag-ship of NRC passenger train service pending the completion of the Jebba – Kano line due for completion in December.

The statement said that management of NRC has assembled dedicated coaches and locomotive engines for the train service which will depart Lagos every Friday at 9:00am from Iddo terminus with a return journey to Lagos on Sundays.

The coaches are made up to 1st class sleeper, second class air-conditioned coaches and the economy class. There is also a restaurant coach and modern toilet facilities for passengers’ convenience, the statement said.

According to the statement, special operations staff have been deployed for the train service which also include medical officers and the Railway Police, adding that the train service is also fitted with baggage vans for bulk goods and farm produce.

The Lagos-Ilorin Express train service will be unique, as it provides the travelling public with a better alternative to the traffic congestion on the Lagos-Ibadan express road.

DailyTrust

http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/10/27/lagos-ilorin-passenger-train-service-starts-tomorrow/
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by grafikii: 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
nice, i wld try it
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by KayB: 3:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
Nobody is talking abt comprehensive insurance package now for d passengers
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by kodewrita(m): 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ilorin Passengers should please remember to take some yam cuttings & compost with them. Lagos people always appreciate full grown yams.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by onmyown(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
@kaybe, you want to kill me with laugh
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by olawalebabs(m): 4:47pm On Oct 27, 2011
How long will it take to travel from Ilorin to Lagos through this rail line? I believe it is not locomotives they are celebrating?
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by EPOMA(m): 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2011
sulad82i:

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) would start Lagos-Ilorin passenger train service from tomorrow, a statement from the corporation said.                                                                                                   

This signals the completion of track rehabilitation work between Lagos and Jebba by the Chinese contracting firm, China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC).                                                                                                                                   

The statement said the final track inspection was carried out October 21 – 22 for the purpose of ascertaining the level of preparedness and fitness of the tract section for safe running of train.

The inspection was under the leadership of Government Inspector of Railways and engineers from NRC, CCECC, Roughton consultancy and representatives from the Federal Ministry of Transport.                                                                       

The Lagos – Ilorin Express train service will for the moment serve as the flag-ship of NRC passenger train service pending the completion of the Jebba – Kano line due for completion in December.                                                                             

The statement said that management of NRC has assembled dedicated coaches and locomotive engines for the train service which will depart Lagos every Friday at 9:00am from Iddo terminus with a return journey to Lagos on Sundays.                                     

The coaches are made up to 1st class sleeper, second class air-conditioned coaches and the economy class. There is also a restaurant coach and modern toilet facilities for passengers’ convenience, the statement said.                                           

According to the statement, special operations staff have been deployed for the train service which also include medical officers and the Railway Police, adding that the train service is also fitted with baggage vans for bulk goods and farm produce.

T[b]he Lagos-Ilorin Express train service will be unique, as it provides the travelling public with a better alternative to the traffic congestion on the Lagos-Ibadan express road.       [/b]                                                                                                          

DailyTrust

http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/10/27/lagos-ilorin-passenger-train-service-starts-tomorrow/
This is how stupid our Journalism is, what is Unique about the alternative for traffic congestion. I thought they were going to say the tell us fast the train is or is self driven. China gets the west to build its railway while we go for Chinese and then call it unique. I guess it is unique becos we spend more and get 18 century coaches
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by EPOMA(m): 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
olawalebab:

How long will it take to travel from Ilorin to Lagos through this rail line? I believe it is not locomotives they are celebrating?
Thanks my brother , that is what was thinking of as well
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by tlops(m): 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2011
olawalebab:

it will leave Lagos 9:00 am get to ilorin 8am Saturday
leaves ilorin 9:00 am Saturday and return 8 am Sunday, then it will rest the whole week after a long stressful journey only to be awakened the next Friday.

its a nice place to start though.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by yamakuza: 5:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
" No more highway robbery

No more road accidents

No more trailer/tanker hold up and mishaps

No more turbulence or plane crash

No more no more no more "

Unless of course it breaks down in the middle of nowhere
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by buzor(m): 5:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
any pix
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
How i wish it is Lagos to Ondo,  cry
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by udokpuenyi(m): 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2011
tlops:

it will leave Lagos 9:00 am get to ilorin 8am Saturday
leaves ilorin 9:00 am Saturday and return 8 am Sunday, then it will rest the whole week after a long stressful journey only to be awakened the next Friday.

its a nice place to start though.

23 hours whole journey if my calculation is right,

I will use my bicycle and contest a race with that train, let see who will reach Ilorin first
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 27, 2011
KayB:

Nobody is talking abt comprehensive insurance package now for d passengers
Is dis 1 in Naija, Is there anyfin like comprehensive insurance in Nigeria undecided
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Emmyk(m): 5:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
yamakuza:

No more road accidents

Exactly. Especially the high way robbery thing, But those ''EKO EKO'' commercial bus drivers wont be happy sha. You wanna know why? Ask the commercial buses going to Offa,
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by ajiifixing(m): 5:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
kodewrita:

Ilorin Passengers should please remember to take some yam cuttings & compost with them. Lagos people always appreciate full grown yams.

(Laff wan tear my belle). So you mean the yam would have grown before reaching Lagos?. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by usbcable(m): 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
am even more concerned about the security on the coaches.

imagine in the middle of nowhere then suddenly one is held hostage at gun point to part with his valuables or face the noozle. shocked

Also, how long will the trip even take sef( no info to that respect).
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by room702(m): 6:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^ this i am also concerned about
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Ibomade1: 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
23 hours is too long to commute from Lagos to Ilorin.
But it is a step in the right direction though.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by dayokanu(m): 7:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
How long would this take?

23hrs? Someone trekking would almost be there in that same time
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by eghost247(m): 7:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
yamakuza:

No more road accidents

hope not
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by olawalebabs(m): 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
Emmyk:

Exactly. Especially the high way robbery thing, But those ''EKO EKO'' commercial bus drivers wont be happy sha. You wanna know why? Ask the commercial buses going to Offa,
what about the drivers, are they not happy with the train arrangement between ilorin and offa, different stroke for different people
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by eghost247(m): 7:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
usbcable:

am even more concerned about the security on the coaches.

imagine in the middle of nowhere then suddenly one is held hostage at gun point to part with his valuables or face the noozle. shocked

Also, how long will the trip even take sef( no info to that respect).
Oh Please dont they use trains in other parts of the world why do Nigerians breathe negativity be the change u want to see
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by afroxyz: 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
Why can't u guys embrace change. Almost evryone has said smtin negative. Why can't we see it as providing more jobs, saving more lives and of course saving time instead of yapping abt insurance, security concerns etc. I wld like to give it a try
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by llbhuds: 7:40pm On Oct 27, 2011
lol, lets wait and see
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by blackrules1(m): 7:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
Realy?
Good one.
Hope it works fine.

Ilorin Emirate!. . .  PROUD.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Knight1(m): 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2011
the 23 hours is a joke o. haba!!!!

but if it takes more than four hours, then we've wasted a loooooooooooooooooot of money!
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Pharoh: 9:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
This is a good development, for those looking for the duration of hours it takes to get from lagos to ilorin. This depend on the approved speed for these locomotives and the distance between both destinations.

I don't think this time-table makes business sense because of the one trip journey for a whole week that is not even properly planned. I believe it should leave every Friday around six to eight in the evening and get to the final destination by midnight. There should be stations also in large populated cities between both destinations to increase the train utilization.

I don't really know how they planned these routes but i think they should have two trains to serve a two way service. I have not heard about anything about bus connections for the various stations, it is either NRC operates its own bus service or they cooperate with private bus service companies to take people from stations to their final destinations.

But this is good and i hope they start with profitable and viable routes first before doing it anyhow due to the availability of subsidies.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by atasteve: 9:57pm On Oct 27, 2011
Right step, smiley
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Oletunow(m): 12:27am On Oct 28, 2011
Ibo-made:

23 hours is too long to commute from Lagos to Ilorin.
But it is a step in the right direction though.

Commuting 23hrs between Lagos & Ilorin, a distant of about 269km is a BIG STEP in the WRONG DIRECTION, meaning the train will only cover a distant of about 11.7km every one hour, while the average human being can walk about 7km/hr or jog about 10km/hr, you can see how this is totally a step huge step in the wrong direction,

And for those cheering that no more highway robber, this is even worst, at that speeds robbers on foot can jump in and out of the train at will,
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by bimboshore: 2:16am On Oct 28, 2011
''And for those cheering that no more highway robber, this is even worst, at that speeds robbers on foot can jump in and out of the train at will''

I don die from laughing.
Re: Lagos-ilorin Passenger Train Service Starts Friday October 28, 2011 by Nobody: 2:18am On Oct 28, 2011
a good news

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OPEC: Nigeria Regains Africa Top Spot As Oil Production Rises By 47,000 BPD / Konga And Jumia Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sales: Scam, Sham Or What? / Ease Of Doing Business: World Bank Ranks Nigeria 170th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.